Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI (13607 Views)

Dongara, Gbajabiamila Nominated As Speaker As Voting Begins In House Of Reps / Real Battle To Dislodge Boko Haram Begins In March / Nigerian Naira Heading To Devaluation After Rejecting ECOWAS Single Currency Bid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by teniola55(m): 10:04am On Jun 25, 2013
grin first to comment!...hahahahaha!...i made it!...thank God!...gonna kill a lizard 4 dis
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by kingjohnny(m): 10:04am On Jun 25, 2013
This is a good step to bring people of this sub region together.300 million people a great market for industries here

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by alphaconde(m): 10:04am On Jun 25, 2013
Bad idea. The euro zone should know better.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by amarilo: 10:05am On Jun 25, 2013
I blame GEJ crew where at thou?
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Nobody: 10:06am On Jun 25, 2013
yhemster: I have few questions
1. Is there going to be free trade agreement across the region?
2. Are we going to have a single monetary policy across the region?
3. what is the security of the new money, is backed with gold, oil or empty air?

Am open to ur opinions.

I hope it will be backed by gold. WAMI shouldn't follow the American model, in which the Dollar was untied from gold in 1970. The US dollar is basically fiat money.

As for your 2nd question, the single currency will inevitably lead to single monetary/fiscal policies across the sub-region. The tax rates and any social welfare programs would have to be uniform, in order to prevent a Greece-like economic turmoil.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by yuzedo: 10:09am On Jun 25, 2013
Untenable. Mark my words...
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by yhemster(m): 10:13am On Jun 25, 2013
CFCfan:

That's a valid point. The likes of Greece, Spain et al, have been experiencing economic austerity due to the fact that those countries don't print the Euro. Instead, it's printed by the European Central Bank. WAMI could mandate it's member countries to print the ECOWAS currency themselves, instead of depending on a single ECOWAS Central Bank.

That is not possible, the eco currency is a property of the WAMI. No country will be allowed to print the eco money, its like giving ur wife ur ATM card and pin.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by honeric01(m): 10:14am On Jun 25, 2013
When euro's struggling to remain stable, EU is having series of problems with member states, yet unstable west African countries think one currency is going to work?
shaneroberts26: Dead On Arrival
When euro's struggling to remain stable, EU is having series of problems with member states, yet unstable west African countries think one currency is going to work?
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by ballabriggs: 10:14am On Jun 25, 2013
CFCfan:

The ECOWAS treaty would have to be enforced in order to guarantee that those same trade barriers are minimised. For instance, ECOWAS passport holders may not need a visa to visit another ECOWAS country, if they are visiting for, say, 3 or 4 months.

The main issue is that of monetary policy and the macroeconomic characteristics of individual countries. For example, what drives Ghana's forex reserves is not the same with what drives the reserves in Togo. Some countries a more volatile and risky than the others. Countries still struggling to build their dollar reserves cannot have a single currency, it will be a complete disaster. Nigeria with a whole lot more reserves will be extremely foolish to dollarise its currency with these guys at this stage.

So they can keep dreaming and keep having the ambition on paper. It sounds good to promote unity, however, it is not feasible.

2 Likes

Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Olaone1: 10:15am On Jun 25, 2013
kingjohnny: This is a good step to bring people of this sub region together.300 million people a great market for industries here
But you have not pulled off this feat with 200 million people you have in your country - Naija. Have you?

Or you intend to show your 'skills' when you have 50% extra pop.?
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by WukedP(m): 10:16am On Jun 25, 2013
ekt_bear:

no be by force to post
and no be by force to use ur leprocy finger dey quote Babialah..
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Olaone1: 10:18am On Jun 25, 2013
I can give 101 reasons why it will not work out well undecided
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by chris365(m): 10:18am On Jun 25, 2013
Another African copy cat project doomed to fail. Even Europe that has a far more powerful economy tthan our are not finding it easy to cope with such policy.

West Africa first of all needs to focus on building strong economy: like industrialisation, independence from foreign aid (expecially in their budgets, which is one of the major eyesore in development)

Properly implement the ECOWAS integration policy which still has a lot of loop holes.

ensure security in the region (which is greatly lacking) etc...
And this might end up being a burden on Nigeria as Germany is feeling the brunt of the european monetery policy failure (being the power house of the region)

our leaders don't learn. They just wake up, drink sepe and open dia dirty mouths to announce rubbsh.
Well, then again African leaders are senseless and stvpid

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Nobody: 10:21am On Jun 25, 2013
Personally, I don't think this will happen.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by texaco1: 10:24am On Jun 25, 2013
angry
can someone pls explain the benefits of this single currency to a layman in economics?
how will this currency affect the ordinary man on the streets
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by emmanuel4758(m): 10:27am On Jun 25, 2013
so dat means if am havin 100 milion it wil become 50 thousand eco kai i no greeoooh infact frm 2014 i go stop savin my money in d bank cuz i fit comit sucide when bank people tel me such trash abeg make our madt leader reject d offer
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Gbawe: 10:29am On Jun 25, 2013
tumababa: IS DAT WHAT THEY LEARNT FROM THE EURO?

This has nothing to do with the EU. Totally different fiscal and socio-economic realities. Dates have been proposed before for the take-off of ECO i.e the ECOWAS single currency.

Most Central bank governors of ECOWAS member States are happy to allow others waffle because they know issues are more about politicians playing to the gallery and pretending economic union is a must-have holy grail.

The reality is that the economies of ECOWAS States are nowhere near harmonised enough to facilitate the deliverance of a single currency. Even the free movements of goods and services underpinning the ethos of ECOWAS is bogged down in non-compliance with member States waking up today to arbitrarily enact protectionist actions that should be clearly outlawed.

Simply not a realistic target in my opinion.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by forextrader9(m): 10:31am On Jun 25, 2013
Gud ideal
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by ektbear: 10:33am On Jun 25, 2013
Wuked.P:
and no be by force to use ur leprocy finger dey quote Babialah..

back to sender
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by bknight: 10:39am On Jun 25, 2013
Africans dont learn, smh! undecided
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Gbawe: 10:40am On Jun 25, 2013
N_girl: Personally, I don't think this will happen.

Certainly not in 2015.

http://www.ghanabizmedia.com/ghanabizmedia/january-2011-ecowas/191-the-eco-a-common-currency-phantasm-or-certainty.html

The ECO: a common currency phantasm or certainty?

The initial date set for the introduction of the ‘ECO’ was January 2003. However, the implementation suffered a pitfall when by November 2002 it became apparent that the participating countries would not be able to achieve the convergence criteria.

The date was subsequently postponed to July 2005, as it was expected that that would give the countries adequate time to meet the criteria. But, again, this did not happen because the countries failed to meet the target.

It was then decided that, perhaps, the process should be postponed for a longer period to enable the countries make more preparations.

December 2009 was therefore settled upon with the hope that the participating countries will properly gird their loins for the new currency. But, as it turned out, the deadline did not become feasible, and now the new date is 2015.

For some analysts, it remains to be seen whether the proverbial ‘old lady’ would finally shove off her ‘stick’ in 2015 or there would be another postponement to perhaps, 2020.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by docjuli(m): 10:44am On Jun 25, 2013
chris365: Another African copy cat project doomed to fail. Even Europe that has a far more powerful economy tthan our are not finding it easy to cope with such policy.

West Africa first of all needs to focus on building strong economy: like industrialisation, independence from foreign aid (expecially in their budgets, which is one of the major eyesore in development)

Properly implement the ECOWAS integration policy which still has a lot of loop holes.

ensure security in the region (which is greatly lacking) etc...
And this might end up being a burden on Nigeria as Germany is feeling the brunt of the european monetery policy failure (being the power house of the region)

our leaders don't learn. They just wake up, drink sepe and open dia dirty mouths to announce rubbsh.
Well, then again African leaders are senseless and stvpid

Ever heard of F CFA? There is XAF (Central) and XOF (West).
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by TEEGBE: 10:44am On Jun 25, 2013
END TIME THINGS cool
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Nobody: 10:45am On Jun 25, 2013
If i become the President of Nigeria come 2015,will i be able to loot d tresury now we want to have a single currency?Pls i wan to knw
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by goldenone(f): 10:45am On Jun 25, 2013
Wuked.P:
;End time things....... grin
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Rooneyboy(m): 10:47am On Jun 25, 2013
Ajasnoop: Europe is not having the best of times with the single currency. West Africa wants to start. #whatsthepoint

What are the demerits/disadvantages in having a single currency

Pls do educate me bro .
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Dewze(m): 10:48am On Jun 25, 2013
Pls can some one help educate us a bit more on the real implicatns. Does this mean we ll no longer use the Nigerian Naira? If so what then ll Nairaland be called? Ecoland?;(cheesy

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by WukedP(m): 10:48am On Jun 25, 2013
ekt_bear:

back to sender
mind ya biz next time ok?? Cos i no say fear don catch u, apprentice grin[quote author=ekt_bear]
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by Nobody: 10:51am On Jun 25, 2013
docjuli:

Ever heard of F CFA? There is XAF (Central) and XOF (West).

The CFA Franc is underwritten by France. Completely different scenario.

1 Like

Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by docjuli(m): 10:52am On Jun 25, 2013
HNosegbe:

The CFA Franc is underwritten by France. Completely different scenario.

Where are they used?
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by ektbear: 10:53am On Jun 25, 2013
Wuked.P:
mind ya biz next time ok?? Cos i no say fear don catch u, apprentice grin

I will mind my business when you stop posting nonsense.
Re: ECOWAS Single Currency Begins In 2015 -WAMI by chiefbatiatus(m): 10:55am On Jun 25, 2013
It won't work, how long is it going to take africans to know we can't pass where europe has failed? How long? Come to abuja and see how the ecowas secretariat is run then u understand why they west africans can't sustain WAMI. Do a contract in ecowas and see how long it takes to get paid! Yeye africans

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2023: PDP Southern Governors Reject Open Ticket, Insist On Zoning / More Than 10 Hausa People Killed In akokwa Community, The True Story / 7 Officials Stole Billions From NEMA – Presidency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.