Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,576 members, 7,820,068 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:17 AM

Teens Revolution In Nollywood. - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Teens Revolution In Nollywood. (1554 Views)

Mike Ezuruonye Speaks Chinese In Nollywood Movie / Five Ridiculous Questions With Obvious Answers Asked In Nollywood Movies / Will Kelani's New Film Maami With Funke Akindele Be A Revolution In Nollywood? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jun 27, 2013
Ok, still on the matter of introducing teens & young adults films in the industry. I'm tired of fantasizing day & night and I'v tried so hard to meet a few persons to help launch this idea into reality but they are not responding positively.
Right now, i'm so sad and confused! Sometimes i wanna give up this dream but that inner passion & confidence keeps telling me that 'the pace may seems slow but you may succeed with yet another move'
i really want to do this, individuals or corporate organizations should pls finance my first film project. I believe the world is waiting to see this magnificient revolution in Nollywood.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by Nobody: 6:28pm On Jun 27, 2013
smiley
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by Briareos(m): 7:00pm On Jun 27, 2013
First of, I saw your other thread where you disclose this idea. I've got to tell you - its a difficult one and only your IDEA alone cannot get you anywhere.

Nobody will finance an 'IDEA'. At least no business minded person will. You will need something concrete more than just the idea. You will need a plan. You will need a story. You will need a script. You will need to have a clear cut plan of what you want to achieve.

I will drop you a message, anyways. Cheers.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jun 27, 2013
Sorry i didnt mention it on this thread. I've got the script, a business plan, a budget and mature colleagues-experienced people in the field of film productn* that are willing to work alongside me when the capital is ready.

Modified.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by VillageBoi(m): 8:53pm On Jun 27, 2013
@ Jennypinky

Jenny, let's break this down a bit.

You started the 'original' topic about this in Jan of 2012... In Arpil & May, of same year, two people - swill388 & V_Official first said some of the most important stuff on the thread.
I would have to assume you didn't take any of their advice and you're back here over a year later asking the same thing?

The truth is there are at least 1.6 million Nigerians if not 16 million of us (a supposed 1-10% of the population) wanting to do the EXACT same thing. How are you any different from any other dreamer out there?

In that one year by now you would have shown that you are more than just a dreamer by having shot one or two key scenes that shows just how good or bad you are or at the least but even better still - shows proof of concept. And that would be something tangible to show.

I only saw that thread last month and a few posts down realised it's a pretty old thread.

So what have YOU done since to make this 'dream' of yours a reality? Even if it's nothing to do with this very film project, what have you done to showcase your skills...

Another truth is EVERY other 'dreamer' says the EXACT same thing - "I believe the world is waiting to see this magnificient revolution in Nollywood." Sorry to tell you but that 'revolution' started a few years back - FACT! That same revolution isn't made up of 'Talk, talk, talk' but 'Lights, camera, action'. And 'NO' the world isn't interested in seeing it... the real question is "How interested are YOU in actually showing it to the world?"

2 Likes

Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by prof800(m): 2:01am On Jun 28, 2013
VillageBoi:
@ Jennypinky

Jenny, let's break this down a bit.

You started the 'original' topic about this in Jan of 2012... In Arpil & May, of same year, two people - swill388 & V_Official first said some of the most important stuff on the thread.
I would have to assume you didn't take any of their advice and you're back here over a year later asking the same thing?

The truth is there are at least 1.6 million Nigerians if not 16 million of us (a supposed 1-10% of the population) wanting to do the EXACT same thing. How are you any different from any other dreamer out there?

In that one year by now you would have shown that you are more than just a dreamer by having shot one or two key scenes that shows just how good or bad you are or at the least but even better still - shows proof of concept. And that would be something tangible to show.

I only saw that thread last month and a few posts down realised it's a pretty old thread.

So what have YOU done since to make this 'dream' of yours a reality? Even if it's nothing to do with this very film project, what have you done to showcase your skills...

Another truth is EVERY other 'dreamer' says the EXACT same thing - "I believe the world is waiting to see this magnificient revolution in Nollywood." Sorry to tell you but that 'revolution' started a few years back - FACT! That same revolution isn't made up of 'Talk, talk, talk' but 'Lights, camera, action'. And 'NO' the world isn't interested in seeing it... the real question is "How interested are YOU in actually showing it to the world?"
you've said it all. I was about to write something similar...so lemme just quote the whole thing.
@jenny, in the previous thread, i think someone has talked about doing a short. Consider it and it will go a long way in airing your voice and helping you experiment on 'stuffs'.

abeg, oga villageboi and Briareos my chairman make una helep this girl out na..she get am for dream ooo.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by VillageBoi(m): 7:56am On Jun 28, 2013
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I did enjoy the original thread when I first saw it and thought 'Yeah by now she'd be doing something'... maybe would have made a tiny short with her friends or something.
Can you remember the thread with the other girl that made a clip of a 'prospective' horror movie but needs actors and all sorts? At least she stepped out and did something. It wasn't great or anything but, if I remember correctly, it did show she had a pretty good sense of 'sound' for the genre.

I'm pretty sure Jenny has friends and someone has at least got a 'phone that shoots 720p' - Make a 60-90 sec 'silent' short or ANYTHING to show you CAN think outside of the 'Idumota market box' that 95% of people are going to fall into (if not 99.9%). If I had been in film when I was in Naija... me and my 'friends' for dey shoot one-one scene, two-two scenes every weekend until one feature dey in the 'Can'. Highest e go take one year to shoot abi?

People out there need to start thinking 'differently' and I mean VERY differently because every other person you meet is a filmmaker, writer, director, producer, editor, actor, driving-catering-vfx-gaffer! And some people out there are da.mn good!

She might have ideas but hey 'everybody else does too'... some people can think academically but you put them out in the street in a 'real' situation and you end up scratching your head yourself.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by Nobody: 9:21am On Jun 28, 2013
@Villageboi, yes people adviced me earlier to make a film of 30mins and place it on youtube but d problem is i dnt have short stories, besides i dnt ve capital for good technical works. are u now implying i should shoot just a scene or two from d script i intend producing?
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by VillageBoi(m): 11:13am On Jun 28, 2013
jennypinky: @Villageboi, yes people adviced me earlier to make a film of 30mins and place it on youtube but d problem is i dnt have short stories, besides i dnt ve capital for good technical works. are u now implying i should shoot just a scene or two from d script i intend producing?

I wouldn't say making a 'short' of 30 mins is good advice (not that you can't), however, if you put that into perspective - three of those is more or less a feature film (lengthwise). You can try out making things of a minute or two, three, five, ten and maybe even push to 15. What have you got to lose? Nothing! But a whole heap to gain. Even making something 'really good' of one minute in length is HARD. Filmmaking simply is pretty hard to do well.

You say you don't have short stories? But you say you write... so write some. That bit isn't rocket science but writing a good short is.

And no, I'm not 'implying' that you should shoot a scene or two from your feature (more on that at the very end of post). I am actually saying you should think about how you want to be noticed with the skillset you claim you have. Jumping into feature filmmaking without having done anything at all prior is probably thrice as risky. How many of the 'supposed' 50 films being shot in Nigeria a week do we ever get to hear about?

A ton of the world known filmmakers started with shorts, adverts, music videos and all manner of 'tiny' projects. The logistics of feature filmmaking is mind blowing. Unless you're aiming for run-of-the-mill kpa, kpa, kpa style... even that is actually hard.

Take a step back and evaluate 'everything'. Because it does, for now, seem your one aim is THIS feature film NOW - All or NOTHING! Producers get ideas from all over the place EVERY day... what makes YOU different? Why should someone invest in YOU... they should take a LEAP of FAITH? Not gonna happen; this isn't a business run on faith. Don't believe me? Walk into any Bank right now and say "Hi I have a brilliant idea for a film and I'd like you to please put up the money for it." The reaction will be "Who the 'bleep' is this 'bleep'?

Having said that. What do you do or are aiming to do in the industry? Write,. produce, direct? What?

I am not and will not for anything say 'A', 'B' or 'C' is 'exactly' what you should do. You'll have to figure that out for yourself, however, like some others I can only say "There are a few options, think about them'. It is a very saturated 'world' and if you don't stand out from the rest of the crowd it 'might' not happen. If you want something bad enough you go out and get it. You're passionate and that is a plus, are you any good at any of these things? Who knows?! Would I personally trust you to see thru a 'feature' film? Of course not! Anyone can say "Na my Papa own airport". You have no visible track record in anything... I'm not even sure I've seen you in any of the film conversations and debates that happen here every now and then?

If you want it badly enough you CAN get it. But YOU have to fight your way through a maddening crowd.

Have a look at this, study it and figure out what you want to do. It is just ONE of many options BUT most probably not an option for you YET as you have nothing done prior to back up your said ability.

A Kickstarter project with a few pre-filmed scenes - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/528299030/out-of-the-trees-a-suspenseful-feature-film

PS I'm also not sure what sort of advice you are getting form the 'older' people you mentioned. You know the ones that said "Well you go and get the capital, then and only then will we come on board." You're most probably better off without that sort of, probable, BS... just saying. If they do actually believe in you & know what you CAN do then they would have done something.
Find and surround yourself with a set of people that just believe, not people that are in it for the money because there simply isn't any in your pocket right now. Find people that ARE as crazy as you, as crazy as all artists should be - get a few things under your belt and after that make sure you are crazy enought to figure out the other side of things... the reality...
All this stuff IS a business!

1 Like

Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by Jayboy124: 1:19pm On Jun 28, 2013
@Villageboi don talk everything.

Make a short. If the investment isn't coming, then better start searching for recognition. There are lots of contests and festivals around now. So get on board.

Find a muse, write a short film of one or two pages.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by Briareos(m): 1:24pm On Jun 28, 2013
VillageBoi: ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I did enjoy the original thread when I first saw it and thought 'Yeah by now she'd be doing something'... maybe would have made a tiny short with her friends or something.
Can you remember the thread with the other girl that made a clip of a 'prospective' horror movie but needs actors and all sorts? At least she stepped out and did something. It wasn't great or anything but, if I remember correctly, it did show she had a pretty good sense of 'sound' for the genre.

I'm pretty sure Jenny has friends and someone has at least got a 'phone that shoots 720p' - Make a 60-90 sec 'silent' short or ANYTHING to show you CAN think outside of the 'Idumota market box' that 95% of people are going to fall into (if not 99.9%). If I had been in film when I was in Naija... me and my 'friends' for dey shoot one-one scene, two-two scenes every weekend until one feature dey in the 'Can'. Highest e go take one year to shoot abi?

People out there need to start thinking 'differently' and I mean VERY differently because every other person you meet is a filmmaker, writer, director, producer, editor, actor, driving-catering-vfx-gaffer! And some people out there are da.mn good!

She might have ideas but hey 'everybody else does too'... some people can think academically but you put them out in the street in a 'real' situation and you end up scratching your head yourself.

+1000

Also, ive gotta ask - Jenny, do you have any production experience at all? It wont hurt you if you go to any shooting location and see whats going on there.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by sholay2011(m): 2:07pm On Jun 28, 2013
@OP, Villageboi has said it all. Pls, take heed.

@ Villageboi, bro awayu? Let's assume I want to shoot maybe a 5 or 10-minute short film....cud u pls give me a list of the equipment necessary (and that cud be acquired at minimum cost oh).

Abi is there a way my Samsung galaxy s3 can do 'wonders'? wink Pls, elucidate.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by prof800(m): 2:15pm On Jun 28, 2013
Jayboy124: @Villageboi don talk everything.
walahi..villageboi don talk everything but he be like say the girl nor dey hear am at all.

@jenny... Filmaking is all about the ART..after that, then it is all about the MONEY.
So just like villageboi said, u need enthusiasts who are interested in the ART not 'mature colleagues' who'll say "when the capital izz ready we'll work".
You can do a 2-10mins short WITHOUT any money at all. All u need is a team of crazy enthusiasts who buy ur idea. Even if u look around here u'll find guys willing to bring in camera and roll it.!

okay even if you get the capital now, and u shoot ur film it will definitely become an experiment after all, since it's ur first attempt..ok, you know what it means when a film becomes an 'experiment'..? 'KAJOLA' was an experiment. So why not prevent that and start experimenting NOW...! So ur investors will not lose money.

So putting myself in your shoes, thiz izz what i'll do:

first i'll experiment. i'll get a short script of 2-3 pages or even an extract from my feature script. i'll look for enthusiasts who are also willing to experiment to come on board (someone with any camera, someone who can edit, 2 or 3 teenage actors and lights). i'll shoot my film maybe 2mins short, its okay. wow i'm now a film maker.

secondly, i'll build my resume. with my 2mins short i already have a resume. with this i'll broadcast myself. i'll send it to people home and abroad, youtube etc.

thirdly, i'll pitch my screenplay. i can even send a four page short to villageboi and others to get them interested in doing a short with me or even the whole feature lenght.

lastly, i'll persever. i'll do another short, write more teenage movie scripts and continue pitching until i find my voice.

Afterthat, we'll have teenage movie genre running wild in nigerian cinemas.
sweet eh?!
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by sholay2011(m): 2:24pm On Jun 28, 2013
^^^^^^^ Prof has also said it all. grin grin cool
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by VillageBoi(m): 3:33pm On Jun 28, 2013
sholay2011:
@ Villageboi, bro awayu? Let's assume I want to shoot maybe a 5 or 10-minute short film....cud u pls give me a list of the equipment necessary (and that cud be acquired at minimum cost oh).

Abi is there a way my Samsung galaxy s3 can do 'wonders'? wink Pls, elucidate.

Sholay, how now? I dey o!

First question is difficult because it depends on 'what' your script is. If you have people jumping out of a plane then I guess you'll have a plane and hopefully 'parachutes' or else... splat!! lol grin

Truth is you don't need much really if you think about it and 'write' according to what you CAN get. Need a dolly shot? Get someone to push a wheel-barrow. Need a jib shot? - Do the tripod trick. A lot of things can be done DIY and if one thinks how to solve a problem. There is only ONE thing you actually do need - A camera!

That brings us to your camera... the Samsung Galaxy S3. Can it do wonders? Absolutely NOT! But the good news is neither can a $250,000.00 camera. What can do wonders it the 'user'. Obviously equipment is important but it isn't the be all, end all.

People have been shooting good things on phones for a few years now. So enjoy this little video and BTS from your phone.

Samsung Galaxy S3 short film -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_QNBwvBV4Y

The Making of -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZDStYlgMLA

1 Like

Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by VillageBoi(m): 3:37pm On Jun 28, 2013
@ 3 posts above ^^^^^

Well said Prof.

Even lights na budget for them. They can film outside with daylight and a reflector... oh reflector na money... find one bit of scrap plywood and put tin foil ontop or use a white cardboard sheet. There's hardly a thing that can't be done DIY lol.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by VillageBoi(m): 3:54pm On Jun 28, 2013
Briareos:
Also, ive gotta ask - Jenny, do you have any production experience at all? It wont hurt you if you go to any shooting location and see whats going on there.

Well said. I remember I used to hang out on sets in lagos... hell I even used to audition and get roles just to get on sets, of course I would refuse to act as it never interested me, but I go def see wetin dey happen for technical side - until I'd get kicked off or bored outta my mind lol
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by sholay2011(m): 6:24pm On Jun 28, 2013
Hmmm....thanks Villageboi.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by VillageBoi(m): 7:21pm On Jun 28, 2013
sholay2011: Hmmm....thanks Villageboi.

You're welcome but you don't sound convinced shocked

Ok

Camera with
*Memory cards/tape, batteries, lenses, laptop + hard-drives to off-load
Tripods
Slider/Dolly
Jib (if possible and if needed)
Steadicam (same reasons as jib)
Mics
Booms
Recording devices
Lights
Gels, diffusers and what-not
Vehicle/s (people need to get around)
Oh and cash to make it all happen grin

Let's call that the bare minimum!

1 Like

Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by sholay2011(m): 8:20pm On Jun 28, 2013
^^^^^ Of course, I am convinced but thanks for the breakdown here. God bless.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by VillageBoi(m): 4:55am On Jul 01, 2013
sholay2011: ^^^^^ Of course, I am convinced but thanks for the breakdown here. God bless.

A nice easy 'tripod trick' for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fGmCBnD-D0
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by Nobody: 8:02am On Oct 08, 2013
A big Thank You to Villageboi, Prof800, jayboi, sholay and all others. I ve been able to write a short film script of about 15 Scenes and in no time I will start the film production. I'm grateful to U all.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by sholay2011(m): 8:09am On Oct 08, 2013
jennypinky: A big Thank You to Villageboi, Prof800, jayboi, sholay and all others. I ve been able to write a short film script of about 15 Scenes and in no time I will start the film production. I'm grateful to U all.
Really? That's nice! smiley Wishing you the best in your film endeavours. wink
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by VillageBoi(m): 8:15am On Oct 08, 2013
jennypinky: A big Thank You to Villageboi, Prof800, jayboi, sholay and all others. I ve been able to write a short film script of about 15 Scenes and in no time I will start the film production. I'm grateful to U all.
Hey girl, you're welcome. Get yourself and your work out there. Give it your best shot. We all look forward to seeing your short when it's done... and remember it doesn't have to be great - the first few shorts I made were a load of crap but I will forever remain proud of them because I started to learn invaluable stuff.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by sholay2011(m): 8:28am On Oct 08, 2013
VillageBoi:
Hey girl, you're welcome. Get yourself and your work out there. Give it your best shot. We all look forward to seeing your short when it's done... and remember it doesn't have to be great - the first few shorts I made were a load of crap but I will forever remain proud of them because I started to learn invaluable stuff.
*Rolls eyes*
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by VillageBoi(m): 8:54am On Oct 08, 2013
sholay2011:
*Rolls eyes*
Na only roll eye... na vomit sef you go vomit if say you see them. embarassed
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by sholay2011(m): 9:10am On Oct 08, 2013
VillageBoi:
Na only roll eye... na vomit sef you go vomit if say you see them. embarassed
Ehn-ehn-ehn? Na wa oo. sad grin
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by Jayboy124: 9:21am On Oct 08, 2013

Keep it up girl. Keep us updated how it goes. And make sure you have fun making the film.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by Ignatio(m): 9:33am On Oct 08, 2013
I like this thread. Villageboi thanks for the knowledge.
Jenny, don't stop the dream.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by VillageBoi(m): 9:36am On Oct 08, 2013
Ignatio: I like this thread. Villageboi thanks for the knowledge.
Jenny, don't stop the dream.
You're welcome. There are a lot of very good contributors on this site and various interesting 'filmmaking' threads all over the place.
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by prof800(m): 2:37pm On Oct 08, 2013
@jennypinky...I wish you all the best...!
Re: Teens Revolution In Nollywood. by matrix199(m): 9:47pm On Mar 19, 2016

(1) (Reply)

What Series Have You Completed? / Which Season Film Is The Most Watched In Nigeria? / Chinedu Ubachukwu Wins Gulder Ultimate Search 11 - The Mission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.