Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

Should The Usa Meddle In Foreign Affairs? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Should The Usa Meddle In Foreign Affairs? (1977 Views)

Seize Any Money I Own In Foreign Accounts, Akpabio Challenges FG / FG Suspends Permanent Secretary Ministry Of Foreign Affairs / Why Shouldn't Can/ayo Oritsejafor Meddle In Partisan Politics??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should The Usa Meddle In Foreign Affairs? by Ndipe(m): 10:59pm On May 21, 2006
At first, I resented the intrusion of the USA in affairs of other countries. Commonly referred to as the "Global Policeman" of the world, the USA has such a vast influence in today's society, that has been met with resentment and repercussions. Their effort in installing peace in Somalia resulted in the death of at least one of their soldiers in Somalia. I can recall seeing a picture of the soldier being dragged on the streets of Somalia. But lately, the same resentment that I had towards them has quietly evolved into an admiration. Their unofficial thumb of rule "If don't tow our line, we are not going to assist you" has sometimes led to the introduction of policies that have been beneficial to the economy. When the USA invaded Iraq, the oppostion (including myself) cried foul, accusing them of creating instability in the country. While the war has generated a horde of complaints and created dissidents, the abuse of power, metted out by Saddam Hussein is now history. In place is a newly elected president, while the former tyrant is languishing in jail. At other times, others have called off their bluff, clinging tight to power and furthermore imposing some draconian measures to quell civil unrests in the country. Zimbabwe under Mugabe have ignored those bluffings and as some of you may know, the country has descended into chaos with Mugabe still plotting on how to extend power, even past his 70's. So, while the USA's intrusion in foreign affairs at the risk of neglecting their domestic issues like rebuilding New Orleans, eradicating homelessness, can be compared to constant meddling of the dreaded mother inlaw, detested by her daughter in law, what role do you think the USA should play in foreign affairs? Abandon a foreign country to decay into crumbs, like the present tragedy in Darfur, Sudan or risk the ire of its critics and invade Iraq? Do you think that every country should install democracy, or should every country practise their own system of government without the prying eyes of the USA?
Re: Should The Usa Meddle In Foreign Affairs? by Zahymaka(m): 12:51am On May 22, 2006
Personally, I think the United States is a hypocrite. They knew fully well that there were no WMDs or whatever they were looking for before they struck Iraq.

They flaunt their power at the UN and create problems in oher countries -- for example, they have refused to pull out of Cuba and tried at various times to assassinate Castro. With imminent warfare against Iran, I can't help but conclude that they're creating chaos in the Middle East. Iran for one, poses no threat to thge United States.

Jumping into affairs that doesn't concern them has earned them my severest displeasure.
Re: Should The Usa Meddle In Foreign Affairs? by DaHitler(m): 1:28am On May 22, 2006
I think the U.S. is only justified in cases where power was wrongfully taken (without popular support) or there is a genuine threat to their territorial integrity. I do not support blatant mis-use of power (Iraq for example) when all indications showed that the containment policy on Saddam was working perfectly fine.
Re: Should The Usa Meddle In Foreign Affairs? by Ndipe(m): 8:24pm On May 24, 2006
Please read this and then state your reasons on the role USA should play in foreign affairs.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/africa/05/23/koinange.rape.war/index.html

(1) (Reply)

Bayelsa State's Governor's Wife Laundered $800 000! / Would You Vote For An Openly Gay, Atheist Or Idol Worshipping Politician? / Prophets Disagree Over Yar’adua’s Return

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.