Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,767 members, 7,851,623 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 01:37 AM

Mikel: I Love My Role With The Super Eagles - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Mikel: I Love My Role With The Super Eagles (797 Views)

Best Ever Goal Scored By The Super Eagles / Patrick Obahiagbon Congratulates The Super Eagles / Should The NFF Allow Keshi Take Up Punditry Role With Super Sport For CAN 2012? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mikel: I Love My Role With The Super Eagles by joseph1013: 9:45am On Jun 29, 2013

Nigerian International, John Obi Mikel, has stated that he is delighted with the role he is playing in the Super Eagles of Nigeria.

Mikel plays as a defensive midfielder for his club, Chelsea, acting as a shield for the back four, but with the national team,he is more offensive, playing closer to attack as a central midfielder.

The 26-year old has often been criticised for his lack of goal scoring opportunities, scoring only two goals since joining Chelsea, both in the FA Cup; but he has even scored more for Nigeria, bagging four goals in 51 appearances for his nation.

On how he would rotate between the roles at Chelsea and with the Super Eagles, Mikel said:
“I always try to do what my coaches tell me. At Chelsea, I have to play for the team and be more defensive,” he told KickOffNigeria.com

“But in Nigeria, the coach allows me to express myself and I enjoy myself.”

“Now, I have to find a balance between the two because it is important for my future.”

Mikel scored a spectacular goal for Nigeria at the 2013 FIFA Confederations Cup,taking apart a defender after being teed up by Brown Ideye, to place the ball beyond Muslera, in Nigeria’s 2-1 loss to Uruguay in their second game of the tournament.

“I was very happy to score the goal; when Ideye passed the ball to me, I knew I just needed to beat the defender, and as soon as I did that, I just needed to be calm and put the ball where I wanted it,” Mikel said.

“It felt great to score a goal after so long. Now maybe I can score more,” he added.

Source: allsports.com.ng/2013/06/29/i-love-my-role-with-the-super-eagles-mikel/

1 Like

Re: Mikel: I Love My Role With The Super Eagles by texaco1: 9:51am On Jun 29, 2013
thank u mikel,just keep doing what u know best and we will keep on supporting you
Re: Mikel: I Love My Role With The Super Eagles by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:06pm On Jun 29, 2013
I hope he gets to play more creatively at Club level too
Re: Mikel: I Love My Role With The Super Eagles by Sumbarkaya(m): 6:46pm On Jun 29, 2013
thegoodjoehunt: I hope he gets to play more creatively at Club level too

I pray so. If he continues like this the better for him, chelseas n 9ja. Goodluck.
Re: Mikel: I Love My Role With The Super Eagles by siddiq202(m): 7:20pm On Jun 29, 2013
It is very glaring that you express yourself in SE jersey but play with anxiety for Chelsea.

(1) (Reply)

Funny Photo: Neymar's New Looks / Sir Alex Ferguson’s 7 Leadership Secrets / My Brother And Sport..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.