Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:58 AM

INEC Would Have Prosecuted 1 Million Nigerians, But…—jega - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / INEC Would Have Prosecuted 1 Million Nigerians, But…—jega (503 Views)

El-Zakzaky Will Be Prosecuted For His Crimes – El-Rufai / I Am Being Prosecuted Because I Am Senate President, Says Saraki / APC, Buhari Have Disappointed Nigerians But Don’t Blame Me – Oyegun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

INEC Would Have Prosecuted 1 Million Nigerians, But…—jega by aproko247: 7:35pm On Jul 01, 2013
Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, Professor Attahiru Jega, has stated that the commission would have prosecuted close to one million Nigerians for multiple registrations, but it lacks the resources to do so.

Jega disclosed this on Monday while speaking on a Channels Television’s breakfast programme, Sunrise Daily, which was monitored by Aproko247. The INEC boss lamented that because of lack of personnel and resources, most offenders of multiple registrations go scot free.

“On registration alone, we have evidences to prosecute close to one million people for cases of multiple registrations, but we lack resources and personnel to do that,” Jega said.

He, however, noted that the commission would transfer the power to prosecute offenders to another agency. Jega revealed that INEC is presently talking to the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA, on the matter and expressed hope that conclusion would be reached soon.

“We are discussing with the NBA on a possible partnership with them” the INEC boss said, adding that, “we will do it though it is very challenging. The best thing is to have another agency that can actually prosecute electoral offenders.”

Source: www.aproko247.com/?p=4448
Re: INEC Would Have Prosecuted 1 Million Nigerians, But…—jega by Abekebaby: 8:29pm On Jul 01, 2013
interesting.
Re: INEC Would Have Prosecuted 1 Million Nigerians, But…—jega by Nobody: 8:31pm On Jul 01, 2013
indirectly admitting that the election was highly rigged!

To think we trusted this man with our collective destiny!

smh for Jegga! sad sad
Re: INEC Would Have Prosecuted 1 Million Nigerians, But…—jega by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jul 01, 2013
At a time when agencies are been merged and scrapped, this man is advocating for a new agency.
it would have been better if jega can form a ring with the ministry of justice or icpc to help in the prosecutions. He can as well set up a dedicated commitee within inec to work closely with icpc I.e if inec can reach a consensus with them. Federal government can as well forget about scrapping icpc but give it the added task of prosecuting electoral offenders.
Re: INEC Would Have Prosecuted 1 Million Nigerians, But…—jega by egift(m): 9:48pm On Jul 01, 2013
After millions of fingers printed on our behalf, the result was a win for Jonathan - I now see who it was printed for.

(1) (Reply)

Oil Prices Soar To Over $100 As Egypt's Military Overthrows President Morsi / Those Who Will Make Or Mar 2015 / Which Country Pays The Most Bribes?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.