Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,304 members, 7,954,209 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:18 PM

A Physiologist's Corner - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / A Physiologist's Corner (760 Views)

Biomedics;anatomist,physiologist,medical Biochemist..... Train As A Sonographer / Physiologist And A Medical Biochemistry Needed / What Causes A Blister/pain Spot To Appear On The Corner Of Lower Lip (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Physiologist's Corner by TONYE001(m): 10:38pm On Jul 01, 2013
For talks on Physiology and related Medical Sciences..

Let's share knowledge, let's push forward the frontiers of Medical Sciences...

1 Like

Re: A Physiologist's Corner by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jul 02, 2013
TONYE001: For talks on Physiology and related Medical Sciences..

Let's share knowledge, let's push forward the frontiers of Medical Sciences...

reserve
Re: A Physiologist's Corner by TONYE001(m): 6:49pm On Aug 26, 2013
Re: A Physiologist's Corner by TONYE001(m): 5:37pm On Sep 26, 2014
So, how do we bring this thread back to life?
Re: A Physiologist's Corner by TONYE001(m): 1:34pm On Jan 25, 2015
I created this thread with the sole aim of meeting fellow Physiologists and other interested group of persons in order to share knowledge, to grow in our various fields, to share research fields (and invite participators, if possible), and finally, to push the frontiers of the field of Physiology forward here in Nigeria and beyond the Nigerian shores.

I know that this thread has been terrible in terms of the frequency of updates since its creation. Basically, this is because of my busy schedule amongst other factors.

It is my desire to bring this thread back to the surface of affairs. It is my desire to invest on this thread. It is my desire to make alive this thread as it should have been, ordinarily.

Fellow Physiologists, let us arise and put our skills to use here on this thread. Let us begin the building of an empire that the future generation would benefit from. Let us make a knowledge bank where the world can learn from. We can do it, yes, we surely can.

There are many things we can do here:

1. We can present topics,

2. We can ask Physiology questions,

3. We can share new discoveries,

4. We can share our thoughts as regards Physiology,

5. We can discuss careers in Physiology,

6. We can discuss research works, etc.

It is said that a good leader is the one that leads by examples. Therefore, I would be presenting a discuss on the Physiology of the Nervous System sometime this week.

I need followers, I need people with like minds....Physiologists, Anatomists, Pharmacists, Medical Doctors, Dentists, Nurses, Biochemists, etc..

If you are interested, kindly indicate...

Have a splendid week friends... smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Physiologist's Corner by TONYE001(m): 8:31am On Jan 26, 2015
As we all know, the Nervous System is a broad aspect in Human Sciences - Anatomy and Physiology. An attempt to write every detail of this system would result to a voluminous piece of work which could be boring and tiring to read. Therefore, I would try to make my presentation as simple and as flexible as possible. I would use my words with some references to internet materials as well as some textbooks. Questions and contributions are welcomed.

===========================================================================================================

I just realized that this thread is supposed to be in the Education Section. Please Moderators (Sissy3, dominique), if possible, can you transfer this thread to the Education Section? Thanks.. smiley

THE PHYSIOLOGY OF THE NERVOUS SYSTEM

By Tonye001

There are two major levels of coordination in animals - hormonal coordination through the endocrine system and neural coordination through the nervous system. The former involves the release of hormones from endocrine glands to target organs which are usually located away from the endocrine gland and the latter involves controlling body functions through the release of neurotransmitters by nerve endings.

Both control levels work hand-in-hand in order to achieve the overall coordination of the body though one has an advantage of speed over the other (the nervous system is faster). The hypothalamus, a component of the diencephalon, is the point of intersection between the two systems.

The nervous system is divided into two:

1. The Central Nervous System - This is made up of the brain and spinal cord. The brain is subdivided into three major parts, the prosencephalon (forebrain), the mesencephalon (midbrain), and the rhombencephalon (hindbrain).

The prosencephalon consists of the telencephalon and the diencephalon. The cerebral cortex, hippocampus, amydaloid, and the basal ganglia (CHAB) belong to the telencephalon. The diencephalon, on the other hand, consists of the thalamus (which forms about 80% of the diencephalon), the hypothalamus, the epithalamus, and the metathalamus (THEM).

The mesencephalon is made up of the tectum and the cerebral peduncles.

The rhombencephalon is further divided into two - the metencephalon and the myelencephalon. The metencephalon consists of the pons and the cerebellum while the myelencephalon is made up of the medulla oblongata.

Basically, to achieve the fine coordination seen in humans, there is a network communication amongst the various parts of the brain with each part making suggestions and deductions to and from the other.

The medulla continues inferiorly as the spinal cord which shoots out nerve fibers to the periphery.

2. The Peripheral Nervous System.

The peripheral nervous system links the CNS to the periphery. By "periphery" I mean the visceral (autonomic) and the somatic (muscles) establishments. Basically, the PNS consists of nerve fibers leaving the spinal cord (efferent fibers) and those returning to the cord from the periphery (afferent). From its autonomic part, the PNS can further be subdivided to the the sympathetic and the parasympathetic components. All these would be explained later.

==========================================================================================================

To be continued at a later time.....

Remember to ask your questions and to make your contributions... smiley

(1) (Reply)

6 Foods You Need To Have A Beautiful Skin / Coca Cola And Its Side Effects / Why Patrick Sawyer Deliberately Travelled Tonigeria - Wife

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.