Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,402 members, 7,861,137 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 02:35 AM

Things You Should Know Before Going On That Journey - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Things You Should Know Before Going On That Journey (781 Views)

6 Things You Should Know While Booking For New BRT BUSES / Things You Must Know Before Coming To South Africa - A Nairalander In SA / Serious Fighting Going On Now At Nnamdi Azikiwe Airport,Abuja(Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Things You Should Know Before Going On That Journey by lyfe(m): 7:13am On Jul 02, 2013
Got that visa? Got other documents and getting ready to travel abroad? Since you will be residing in your destination country for some time you need to be physically and mentally prepared to settle in this new place, but before you jump on that airplane, here are some things you should know:

Keep your valuables: If you are planning to leave, don’t dole out your properties anyhow and don’t let your friends talk you into giving your properties away. Select the bests out of your wears, fold them neatly into your luggage, trust me, these items will come in handy. There is German adage that goes: “don't throw away your old shoes before you have new shoes”. This does not apply to only shoes; it also applies to clothes and phones and other small valuable materials. Be financially wise because there will be so many other things to spend money on when settling down.

Racism: I do not feel people are being fair when they complain that some people are racists. Most developed nations have rules that protect foreigners from discrimination and segregation. Many people would have my back on this that the real racists are the people with whom we share the same colour with, yes! The African-Americans, blacks who have fully integrated themselves to the system (Caribbean and African Immigrants) and teenagers and youths who have had their citizenship conferred on them by the virtue of being born on the soil.

The "whitees" try as much as possible to be fair and liberal in the way they treat other races and they give you the opportunity to do whatever cultural activities you enjoy so long it does not constitute nuisance to other people. You can wear your local attire, practice your religion and eat your food; they will join you if they like what you do. Laws and policies you probably don't have knowledge of are working in your favour to ensure that your name, colour, accent or ethnicity won't jeopardize your chance of enjoying same thing other people enjoy. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying there is no racism, but if you have a clear mind you won't even feel a thing and it does not match the level of favoritism, nepotism and class segregation that you witness in Nigeria on daily basis.

Toasting/Wooing: Space! Space! That is what they yearn for. For guys who are willing to explore abroad chics you have to be conscious of the fact that these people yearn for personal space, even more than they need, so don’t go around doing: Hey Babie, What Sup! Awa yu fine girl. Eggscuize me. You won’t hit the jackpot even with the unattractive obese chics. If you use your first line and it doesn't work, you have the second option of walking away. Else, police might be called on your as's.

The way people they want to be wooed is somewhat different from what you are used to. There has to be some kind of avenue which must be memorable and interesting. They believe in the Hollywood type of scene, like running into each other and picking up fallen books on the floor after collision or being caught in the rain together with either of you without an umbrella or a club scene. Be creative in whichever way you choose to approach because it has to be eventful and memorable, else you will land on a voice mail tongue .

To have better chances don’t go for people that look like you- Ya know whar I mean? I have been treated better and nicely by other nationalities than my own people. I have had opportunities to chat with people randomly and I can tell you that the hardest people to get their attention are the blacks(Nigerian ladies are way worse) say hello to an Asian, white chic they will reply you with an unreserved smile exposing that braces. But for my "blackies" if they think you are cool you might be lucky to get a lousy “hi” as reply coupled with a facial expression like ( WTF do u want) which will drain the passion to continue with a convo. I have so many times vowed not to talk with black girls again because of their nauseating attitudes. To top it up, your situation is hopeless with them if you don’t look like Trey Songz , Chris Brizzy or Denzel plus no car or flashy things to compensate for your simple appearance.
One more thing: don’t aim to talk to a girl at night or in a secluded area, she will flee from you because they believe only creeps embark on such sneaky projects.

Communication / Non Verbals: The way you pronounce your words and project your voice is important if you want be heard. endeavor to pronounce your words clearly, copy them if you want to. They will pick your words, Trust me, they have heard different “Engrishes” and yours won't be the worst. So don't be afraid to speak. CAVEAT: don't drawl, don't rap, be you, use basic and formal secondary school English you will be fine. Also make sure you do whatever it takes to improve yourself when talking. Network, read newspaper and novels, listen to CNN/BBC, install thesauruses/dictionary on your phone to sharpen your communication skills and widen your knowledge-base. Generally, average Nigerians should not have much problem when it comes to communication even if you stabbed your Oral English class in secondary school.

Be careful with some gestures and non-verbal cues. Chunk of human communication is non-verbal, so don’t go doing things that will scare people. Don’t exchange unnecessary eye contact. You will know this latter. For some reasons they try to avoid eyes contact and they will never look your direction don’t think they are not observing you. Believe me, they will vividly describe you to the police if things go awry and they are told to describe “Da suspect” cheesy.

Be Gentle and Keep it Low:
they say we are loud; a girl once told that me that she knows when Nigerians are exchanging pleasantries from afar even in a crowded place. We talk too loud when we are among other Nigerians. Couple yourself if you are among other Nigerians don't go nNa Mehn, Egbon mi HAwu far na. Don't be proud, greet your fellow countrymen, but be cool by communicating gently and nicely without sounding like an hyena.

Read the fine prints: when you get to the system you will be required to sign one thing or the other, before doing so, take the pains to go through all the clauses and the tiny fonts, I know you thinking who has time to read long policy and sh*t, but it is your responsibility to know why you are putting your signature on any document. This mostly applies to subscription and contract on technological products. They know people don't read the bulky contract agreements, so they have the unfair terms lurking somewhere in the small prints that will make you pay through your nose if you breach contract agreement. I know someone who got 5,420 dollars on phone bill which destroyed her credits and almost ruined her life. So, before you assent your signature read the terms and conditions in fine prints and watch for asterisks (*).

Lastly, carry some local currency: Don’t exchange all that Naira to Dollars/Pounds or Euros from the Abokis because it will come in handy for welfarism at MMA for the customs and immigration officers on national duty. Common don't be stiffs settle them if you no carry powder and them go hail you and do prayers for you.
Re: Things You Should Know Before Going On That Journey by aminho(m): 7:30am On Jul 02, 2013
Nt bad
Re: Things You Should Know Before Going On That Journey by justwise(m): 8:23am On Jul 02, 2013

(1)

Can My One Month Old Baby Travel To Nigeria Without A Passport? / 6 Things About Lagos That People From Othercities Exaggerate About / Lagos- Ibadan Express Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.