Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,694 members, 7,820,424 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:33 PM

Nigeria Remains United Because Of Yorubas’ ‘immense’ Sacrifices, Says Don - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Remains United Because Of Yorubas’ ‘immense’ Sacrifices, Says Don (949 Views)

Reasons Why Nigeria Remains Underdeveloped / Hunger Level Falls In Nigeria, Remains Alarming In Africa- IFPRI Report / 40% Of Nigerians Lack Access To Food, Says Don (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Remains United Because Of Yorubas’ ‘immense’ Sacrifices, Says Don by Ngwakwe: 1:25am On Jul 03, 2013

The lecturer lambasted the current crop of Southwest politicians.

The continued unity of Nigeria rests on the immense contributions and sacrifices of the Yoruba people, a university professor, Alade Fawole, has said.

Mr. Fawole, a Professor at the Obafemi Awolowo University’s Department of International Relations, stated this in Lagos at the maiden edition of the Abraham Adesanya Memorial Lecture, organized by the National Association of Ogun State Students, University of Lagos Chapter.

Speaking on the topic, The Place of the Yoruba in Nigerian Politics and Development, Mr. Fawole said that Nigeria has always progressed whenever the southwest region is experiencing peace and development, which automatically rubs off on other regions.

He added that the region’s principle is largely responsible for the country’s existence.

“Let me assert very authoritatively and without any apologies that the Nigerian state remains united today because of the principled stand, steadfastness and immense sacrifices of Yoruba to retain Nigeria as a single country,” he said.

He then lashed out at the current political leaders from the region, accusing them of hobnobbing with “enemies” of the Yoruba tribe.

“It is obvious to me that the present crop of so-called political leaders who got the Yoruba mandate by hook or crook to govern us in this Fourth Republic lack the intellectual depth, political sagacity and the finesse that their First and Second Republic predecessors brought into politics and governance,” he said.

“Not only is their political performance profoundly pedestrian and disappointing, judging by the standards the Yoruba people are already used to, some of the governors sought unholy alliance with the enemies of Yoruba all in the name of political mainstreaming. If only they can summon half the commonsense of their esteemed predecessors, it wouldn’t have been difficult for them to perceive that such opportunistic dalliance was bound to miscarry for the entire Yoruba people who have been made a laughing stock.”

The event drew some prominent Yoruba politicians from different party affiliations, including Olusegun Osoba, who chaired the occasion; former Lagos governorship candiadate, Jimi Agbaje; ex-Osun senator, Iyiola Omisore; and activist, Yinka Odumakin.

Mr. Fawole said there is still hope for the Yoruba race and by extension Nigeria, to regain its honourable position, if leaders, irrespective of political affiliation, can rally for a “pan-Yoruba political and development agenda.”

“For the avoidance of partisanship, which may vitiate any collective developmental effort, the leading lights of the Yoruba nation will have to come up with a blueprint,” he said. “I am aware that such a blueprint already exists in what is known as Development Agenda for Western Nigeria, DAWN, which was developed by the Afenifere Renewal Group. Regrettably, it has yet to receive the requisite popular acclaim among the Yoruba that will make it a living document. This is perhaps because some prefer to see it as the product of a splinter group of the main Afenifere, or even by some as an Action Congress of Nigeria document for the capture and domination of the Southwest.”

A discussant, Modupe Fashina, former Eti-Osa local government area chairperson, said Yoruba nation currently lacks a leader because of “politics of money” and bitterness, which she advised the youth to avoid.

Another discussant, Shehu Sanni, represented by Ahmed Suleiman, in his paper, also aligned with the guest lecturer that the country will only get it right when the southwest politics return to its vibrant good old days, adding that current Yoruba politicians have lost their moral values.

Mr. Sanni urged the region to return to its place in national development, which is to serve as “check and balance and demanding accountability.”

The last discussant, Frederick Fasehun, founder of Oodua People’s Congress, OPC, said that behind the current demand for Sovereign National Conference, SNC, in the southwest lies a deception.

“If it has been impossible to have SNC at the national level, what stops them from organising it at the regional level? I will not associate with anyone who has denigrated Awolowo,” he proclaimed.

Source
Re: Nigeria Remains United Because Of Yorubas’ ‘immense’ Sacrifices, Says Don by Nobody: 1:43am On Jul 03, 2013
First to comment!
Thank you Jesus!

Onye nwe anyi, idi ebube!

SPACED BOOKED!

WILL BE BACK WHEN THE THREAD GETS HOT!!
cheesy
Re: Nigeria Remains United Because Of Yorubas’ ‘immense’ Sacrifices, Says Don by Enegod(m): 1:53am On Jul 03, 2013
i don't know this man and i don't what he is talking about....so, *no comment*
Re: Nigeria Remains United Because Of Yorubas’ ‘immense’ Sacrifices, Says Don by Awake9ja(m): 2:08am On Jul 03, 2013
this is also my blv, but only that whenever we affirms the same thing some folks in here will say something like didn't awolowo tell zik to form separate nation with west.

we are confuse to know what is realy truth from the west.

also they should accept that all this mess and killings of innocent people is the result of the Yoruba contribution of keeping Nigeria one.

how many tribes enjoys the unity of Nigeria if we are to say the truth.
I think those who want everybody to go there own way love humanity more.

Mr. Professor did the Yoruba did it without reward of giving them dominance advantage of civil service of this nation,
did the yorubas not the economy controller because of it,is that what you call sacrifice?

if such is what contribution and sacrifice entails then I will tell you plainly that the yorubas and the not have mess up this nation because of ulterior motives they have.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Remains United Because Of Yorubas’ ‘immense’ Sacrifices, Says Don by mike404(m): 8:09am On Jul 03, 2013
ABEG MAKE UNA HELEP ME TELL THAT PROF SAY YORUBA PEOPLE NO GET ANY CHOICE THAN TO UNITE THE COUNTRY ELSE..........
Re: Nigeria Remains United Because Of Yorubas’ ‘immense’ Sacrifices, Says Don by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 03, 2013
#thinking out loud - A country with Igbo and hausa... Just wondering what would have become of this country...
Re: Nigeria Remains United Because Of Yorubas’ ‘immense’ Sacrifices, Says Don by Nobody: 8:21am On Jul 03, 2013
Awake9ja: this is also my blv, but only that whenever we affirms the same thing some folks in here will say something like didn't awolowo tell zik to form separate nation with west.

we are confuse to know what is realy truth from the west.

also they should accept that all this mess and killings of innocent people is the result of the Yoruba contribution of keeping Nigeria one.

how many tribes enjoys the unity of Nigeria if we are to say the truth.
I think those who want everybody to go there own way love humanity more.

Mr. Professor did the Yoruba did it without reward of giving them dominance advantage of civil service of this nation,
did the yorubas not the economy controller because of it,is that what you call sacrifice?

if such is what contribution and sacrifice entails then I will tell you plainly that the yorubas and the not have mess up this nation because of ulterior motives they have.
pls stick to ur native dialect,ur english is hazardous
Re: Nigeria Remains United Because Of Yorubas’ ‘immense’ Sacrifices, Says Don by tomakint: 11:47am On Jul 03, 2013
I totally concur with the OP on these;

Ngwakwe:
The lecturer lambasted the current crop of Southwest politicians.

Ngwakwe: Mr. Fawole said that Nigeria has always progressed whenever the southwest region is experiencing peace and development, which automatically rubs off on other regions.

Ngwakwe: He then lashed out at the current political leaders from the region, accusing them of hobnobbing with “enemies” of the Yoruba tribe.

“It is obvious to me that the present crop of so-called political leaders who got the Yoruba mandate by hook or crook to govern us in this Fourth Republic lack the intellectual depth, political sagacity and the finesse that their First and Second Republic predecessors brought into politics and governance,” he said.

Ngwakwe: “Not only is their political performance profoundly pedestrian and disappointing, judging by the standards the Yoruba people are already used to, some of the governors sought unholy alliance with the enemies of Yoruba all in the name of political mainstreaming. If only they can summon half the commonsense of their esteemed predecessors, it wouldn’t have been difficult for them to perceive that such opportunistic dalliance was bound to miscarry for the entire Yoruba people who have been made a laughing stock.”

Ngwakwe: Mr. Fawole said there is still hope for the Yoruba race and by extension Nigeria, to regain its honourable position, if leaders, irrespective of political affiliation, can rally for a “pan-Yoruba political and development agenda.”

“For the avoidance of partisanship, which may vitiate any collective developmental effort, the leading lights of the Yoruba nation will have to come up with a blueprint,” he said. “I am aware that such a blueprint already exists in what is known as Development Agenda for Western Nigeria, DAWN, which was developed by the Afenifere Renewal Group. Regrettably, it has yet to receive the requisite popular acclaim among the Yoruba that will make it a living document. This is perhaps because some prefer to see it as the product of a splinter group of the main Afenifere, or even by some as an Action Congress of Nigeria document for the capture and domination of the Southwest.”

A discussant, Modupe Fashina, former Eti-Osa local government area chairperson, said Yoruba nation currently lacks a leader because of “politics of money” and bitterness, which she advised the youth to avoid.

Ngwakwe: The last discussant, Frederick Fasehun, founder of Oodua People’s Congress, OPC, said that behind the current demand for Sovereign National Conference, SNC, in the southwest lies a deception.

“If it has been impossible to have SNC at the national level, what stops them from organising it at the regional level? I will not associate with anyone who has denigrated Awolowo,” he proclaimed.

The "Enemies" here are definitely the 'Hausa-Fulanis' Tinubu and his cohorts are hobnobbing with for political gains at the national level! Yorubas like Tinubu and his cohorts makes me wonder aloud that when are some Yorubas going to learn from history undecided

(1) (Reply)

Blame Jonathan If Rivers Governor Is Killed, Says Soyinka / Nigerians Rate GEJ Online ( Statistics) / DELE Momodus Letter To GEJ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.