Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,691 members, 7,816,824 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:58 PM

A Student Needs Your Advice.PLEASE! NAIRALANDERS - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / A Student Needs Your Advice.PLEASE! NAIRALANDERS (1190 Views)

An IT Student Needs Your Help / Please Nairalanders,what's The Best Site To Learn How To Code Online / Student Needs Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Student Needs Your Advice.PLEASE! NAIRALANDERS by pjosh1(m): 6:57pm On Jul 03, 2013
My jamb score wasn't good enough to write ksu postume. My dad suggested that I should attend a polythecnic instead of staying at home for another year.
I know that the university or polythecnic won't teach you all you need to know about programming (you need to teach yourself).
Do you think I should go to a polythecnic and study computer science or I should just wait for another year.
Does your certificate determine if you will get a job in Nigeria as a computer science or your skills.
Please, I need your advice.

NOTE: Am not going into programming because of the money but because of the passion I have towards it.
I know a little bit of python(still learning).
Is there any programmer on Nairaland with Hnd degree
Re: A Student Needs Your Advice.PLEASE! NAIRALANDERS by bigdot1759(m): 7:24pm On Jul 03, 2013
practically no one of them 'll teach you the real programming, though is good to have bsc/hnd in comp. sci. , cus they 'll only teach you theory parr of it & ask you to go & upgrade yourself, so you can start from reading ebooks on programming & you can get some from it-ebooks.info, just google this & u'll get it
Re: A Student Needs Your Advice.PLEASE! NAIRALANDERS by pjosh1(m): 10:13pm On Jul 03, 2013
bigdot1759: practically no one of them 'll teach you the real programming, though is good to have bsc/hnd in comp. sci. , cus they 'll only teach you theory parr of it & ask you to go & upgrade yourself, so you can start from reading ebooks on programming & you can get some from it-ebooks.info, just google this & u'll get it
Thanks. Would u advice me 2 go to a polythecnic.
Re: A Student Needs Your Advice.PLEASE! NAIRALANDERS by abbyode(m): 8:41am On Jul 04, 2013
p.josh:

Thanks. Would u advice me 2 go to a polythecnic.
Please and please dont ever make a mistake of going to the polytechnic in Nigeria esp in sciences. The rate of discrimination is alarming between Bsc and HND. Even though your work output should count in the field of IT, chances are that you wont even be given an opportunity to defend yourself at the Interview because you might never be called in the first place. Studying Engineering in the polytechnic might earn you a good job of technician grade in Oil companies coz they hire more technicians than Engineers. So, if you'll ever go to a polytechnic at all, study engineering course and not a science course like computer science.
If i may advise you however, I will suggest you dont go to a polytechnic for any study.
Do everything you can to get a degree and top it up with relevant IT skills and certifications and with GOD on your side, you will just be fine. I'm talking from personal experience plssssss.
You can find out about FUTA Pre-degree programme. Forms came out like 2 weeks ago.
Re: A Student Needs Your Advice.PLEASE! NAIRALANDERS by pjosh1(m): 9:37am On Jul 04, 2013
abbyode:
Please and please dont ever make a mistake of going to the polytechnic in Nigeria esp in sciences. The rate of discrimination is alarming between Bsc and HND. Even though your work output should count in the field of IT, chances are that you wont even be given an opportunity to defend yourself at the Interview because you might never be called in the first place. Studying Engineering in the polytechnic might earn you a good job of technician grade in Oil companies coz they hire more technicians than Engineers. So, if you'll ever go to a polytechnic at all, study engineering course and not a science course like computer science.
If i may advise you however, I will suggest you dont go to a polytechnic for any study.
Do everything you can to get a degree and top it up with relevant IT skills and certifications and with GOD on your side, you will just be fine. I'm talking from personal experience plssssss.
You can find out about FUTA Pre-degree programme. Forms came out like 2 weeks ago.

thanks
Re: A Student Needs Your Advice.PLEASE! NAIRALANDERS by ooman(m): 12:01pm On Jul 04, 2013
I thought myself everything I know in python.

Go to school for the certificate (so that you can get work), but plan to teach yourself programming.

Also, dont learn only one language, learn at least 2.
Re: A Student Needs Your Advice.PLEASE! NAIRALANDERS by Ajibel(m): 6:37pm On Jul 05, 2013
Pls Pls go into Polytechnic. I also applied for yabatech this year and it hasnt stopped me in my programming knowledge. You are better off in school than at home. In sch, you'd prolly meet people of ur kind and relate with. Let certs be d last on ur mind. Just work aggressively and learn the Python and connect with same programmers like u when in schl. Gudluck!
Re: A Student Needs Your Advice.PLEASE! NAIRALANDERS by Z8(m): 3:45pm On Jul 06, 2013
For a course such as this I can tell u definitely that most Nigerian universities are not up to date in their curriculum. there is one where they are even been thought in PASCAL. the truth is that ur goning to have to do most of the learning. my best advice fine someone you know is good at it and go under him like a mentorship .. as regard ur poly / uni dilemma. If u can afford it. then I suggest going to the poly for this year while u try for the uni admission next session again

1 Like

Re: A Student Needs Your Advice.PLEASE! NAIRALANDERS by Djtm(m): 2:24am On Jul 09, 2013
Being in school is better than staying @home. Although while you're @home, you'll have more time for programming stuffs, after about a year or so, by the time you gain admission, 100L courses will seem like crap to you and you wouldn't assimilate anything that's not computer easily like you did before. So go to school.

(1) (Reply)

Lets Solve Some Javascript Problems / Complete Video Tutorial For Android Application Development On A Memory Card / 강남매직미러《o1o 9742 1199》♬김사랑실장 강남매직미러초이스 선릉매직미러초이스 역삼매직미러초이스 강남풀사롱가격 강남풀살롱견적 강남풀사롱예

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.