Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:49 AM

Should NYSC Be Scrapped? - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? (15290 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / Should NYSC Stop Including Phone Numbers Of Corpers In The Year book? / Should NYSC Be Scrapped? What's Your Take On NYSC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by leonshom(m): 10:58am On Jul 04, 2013
Ow many times una go ask dis same question ehn !
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 10:58am On Jul 04, 2013
lottoe: Personally, I feel NYSC should be scrapped, and the government should stop wasting innocent youth time and energy cos of 19,800 per month.I feel, nysc as lost it original purpose.Most youth after nysc,remain unemployed,so what is the major gain of serving the country?
I think they should rather provide job opportunties for youths, by establishing more industries and also upgrading of various sectors in the country,which will equally help in moving the country forward.
Does any youth still have faith in this nysc scheme? For me NO!
because you have passed out abi. Selfish creature undecided
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Somski1: 11:03am On Jul 04, 2013
lottoe: Personally, I feel NYSC should be scrapped, and the government should stop wasting innocent youth time and energy cos of 19,800 per month.I feel, nysc as lost it original purpose.Most youth after nysc,remain unemployed,so what is the major gain of serving the country?
I think they should rather provide job opportunties for youths, by establishing more industries and also upgrading of various sectors in the country,which will equally help in moving the country forward.
Does any youth still have faith in this nysc scheme? For me NO!
Well said, but no matter what is done, NYSC cannot be scrapped! come to think of it, if it is scrapped, will it make the nation better or will fresh graduates get the jobs they're looking for?
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by honeikate(f): 11:04am On Jul 04, 2013
Yessssss!!!I really feel it's nonsense,its a total waste of time nd energy,d government should pay d money spent on each corp member to him/her immediately after graduation so it can be used properly to establish oneself. The country's state of unemployment really sucks!Imagine d population that took d firstbank test OMG...may God help us in dis country
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Gifted4all(m): 11:04am On Jul 04, 2013
It shd be scrapped joor.me don go my own sef
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by carzola(m): 11:05am On Jul 04, 2013
If am posted to d north i would get letter of exemption..buh i think is should be scraped even afta the 1year poeple stil go back to their father's house.. The allowee is not even enough i get 3times that as my montly up keep minus the one i hustle so y should live on change for one year? Whats the point?
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Oildichotomy(m): 11:06am On Jul 04, 2013
Scrap, scrap , scrap ---- The workers of the body should be re-absorbed into other agencies or probably create a body for the workers where they disburse the NYSC accumulated funds to the graduates and everybody goes home!
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 11:07am On Jul 04, 2013
Abeg they should not scrap it O.
How can boys get to sample babes for different geo political zones na
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by piagetskinner(m): 11:11am On Jul 04, 2013
YES aND NO!!!yes, bekos after 11months of compulsory servic.. Thers no assurance that thers a ready job 4 one...and No becos, thos who are wise enough, save during the course of their servic year..and eventually set up businesses atleast not to stay hungry.that period might b their only opportunity#my opinion though!
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by tuyi19: 11:19am On Jul 04, 2013
Those of you saying the scheme should be scrapped are only looking at the negative aspect of it without the positive aspect. well, i dont blame you, most of you graduated at the age above 30 years and you dont have the opportunity to go for service, i am not surprised you said it should be scrapped. i would advise you present your agguement to federal government on why it should be scrapped.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by greedie1(f): 11:21am On Jul 04, 2013
Eneze1:

guess that is when you are going for service, if so you are on a long thing
grin.
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Princek12(m): 11:24am On Jul 04, 2013
NYSC has been an impediment to many diaspora Nigerians who want to bring their talents back home. How do you expect someone who, for example, graduated at age 21 in America and has accumulated, say, 20 years of experience working overseas to come and be posted to Maiduguri at age 41 just because he wants to do NYSC? To make matters worse, he would most likely have to stay in a dormitory without running water and under terrible hygienic conditions.

This has discouraged so many qualifies Nigerians from doing public service and contributing to the economy. Take India, for example, which has a vibrant IT infrastructure and talent. Many of those talents were returnees from the United States who did public service and helped reform India's laws and regulatory landscape. Nigeria has the same level of talent in America, but no, despite all those talents, they won't allow you to do public service or run for office because you do not have NYSC.

NYSC, IMO, is an anachronism of the past, whose usefulness has expired long, long time ago.

3 Likes

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by haitto99(m): 11:28am On Jul 04, 2013
do u guys know hw many corpers dat hv lost their lives,through accidents to camps,boko haram,ritualists it has tripled in d last 5yrs

2 Likes

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by lottoe(m): 11:31am On Jul 04, 2013
tuyi19: Those of you saying the scheme should be scrapped are only looking at the negative aspect of it without the positive aspect. well, i dont blame you, most of you graduated at the age above 30 years and you dont have the opportunity to go for service, i am not surprised you said it should be scrapped. i would advise you present your agguement to federal government on. why it should be scrapped.
Please, kindly list the merits of present NYSC scheme and show us how it outweighs it Demerits!

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by luc26(f): 11:33am On Jul 04, 2013
*screamz 4rm d worldz tallest building top .. YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by nairaman66(m): 11:33am On Jul 04, 2013
Shouls be scrapped with immediate effect!
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by ddeola: 11:33am On Jul 04, 2013
NO
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by YoshiMaster: 11:34am On Jul 04, 2013
All you guys saying it shouldnt be scrapped are just funny.

how can you support modern day slavery? why cant the likes of shell, mobill.... recruit straight from College?

Cant believe anyone would support Nysc scheme.

2 Likes

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 11:35am On Jul 04, 2013
finebadtboy: Yes yes oooooo I say yes oooo Yes 1000 times. It's looooong overdew. angry

With such pathetic spelling, you're a liability to the nysc
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by lottoe(m): 11:37am On Jul 04, 2013
luc26: *screamz 4rm d worldz tallest building top .. YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pls don't fall down o grin cheesy
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Spicylady(f): 11:38am On Jul 04, 2013
NYSC should not be scrapped but Reviewed!
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by moscobabs(m): 11:38am On Jul 04, 2013
NYSC stuff is not meaningful to me I got my good job when i finished my ND and I did my HND in Part time .now im a student of ICAN I never serve the country and now i have a registered Company which I can fall on if im sack or resign.so it should be scrap
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by butday(m): 11:38am On Jul 04, 2013
Hw wil u even tink of such? Scrap NYSC? Fr why na?.... D happiest moment of a graduate is around da period?...do u knw d kinda fun in d nysc camp?? I guess no..da place is madt fun.u'll jst b happy allthru except ur d unhappy type... And I knw d persn da said dis tin shuld b scraped is actin in accordance to d earlier report by one foolish aboki who said da muslim female corp mem physical exercise shul b separated 4rm dat of male ones,BULLshit!! I said BIG NO,nevr scrap it oooo. Abokis shaa,hidding undr unemployment,ur full of shiiii
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by YoshiMaster: 11:39am On Jul 04, 2013
in the U.S that we like to admire, schools have regular job fairs where so many companies come to recruit interns and other staff, but some people here think Nysc is the only way.

what kind of mentality is that?

why should an Engineer be teaching in a village for 20k per month in 2013, yet we wonder why we are behind.

3 Likes

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by locdog(m): 11:41am On Jul 04, 2013
haitto99: do u guys know hw many corpers dat hv lost their lives,through accidents to camps,boko haram,ritualists it has tripled in d last 5yrs
they don't no oo! last week three corper were kidnapped in rivers state, beside since have relocated from zamafara to osun state, nysc haven't pay me, so what is the essence of serving ur country without no reward, even soldiers dey collect moni
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 11:46am On Jul 04, 2013
i am not of the opinion that NYSC should be scrapped. you all talk about FG to stop wasting the time of youths for 12 months and paying them N19,800. ask yourselves, before going for NYSC, how many graduates have things doing to even earn them 5k per month or more? a few i believe. NYSC provides you many opportunities for 12 months,
(1) As a Corp member, you are entilted to minimum of 25,000 per month, depending on your PPA, some corp members earn as much as N60K per month, am not talking of those in the medical line yet o(earning over N150K). i know someone who saved over N280k from just her monthly N24K, she was feeding well, living her normal life, after NYSC she invested with this money somwhere in Warri, Delta state and she is doing well now. (2)You have d chance to meet well placed people in the society, depending on the LGA you are serving/ served all cos they know you to be a government property( you can get connection here) (3)People in the community easily patronize any of your initiative cos the believe you have been well trained and a stranger that may be bring something new and intresting. (4)You have the chance to meet diffrent people, embrace diffrent culture, encounter diffrent behaviours,you live an independent life for a whole year, gain some sense of responsibility, and above all be trained in your place of primary assignment, NYSC is a working experience. Not all graduates did IT nor even worked somwhere, so many lack the appropriate manner in a work place. many more points dey jaree

2 Likes

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nnamdini(m): 11:47am On Jul 04, 2013
the NYSC shouldnt be scrapped instead it should be re-modified.it wont bring d desired peace or unity the country needs but government can use it as an avenue to to improve the welfare of youths.like provinding means through wich graduates would get employed immediately after school
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by lottoe(m): 11:49am On Jul 04, 2013
Yoshi-Master:
in the U.S that we like to admire, schools have regular job fairs where so many companies come to recruit interns and other staff, but some people here think Nysc is the only way.

what kind of mentality is that?

why should an Engineer be teaching in a village for 20k per month in 2013, yet we wonder why we are behind.
God bless u for this lovely point!..why should an Engineer be teaching in a village for 20k per month in 2013,yet we wonder why we are behind! cry
Likewise other professions too!

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by ruthDung: 11:53am On Jul 04, 2013
yes am in support , every graduate shld be given 700 000 to start a small business of their own this wl reduce un employment
Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by RKVINTLTD: 11:54am On Jul 04, 2013
To me, Let us all considered NYSC Critically.
By analysis more than 50% of graduands are given something every months to fend for there living at the end of there Courses.
It reduces unemployment rate because those would have finished school and be jobless to join criminals are reduced.
An idle mind is the devil workshop.
On the other hand, many NYSC members had met there untimely death due to tribal, religious, Political, ethnic, Social and Sabotage tendences.

My own view is not to scrap NYSC because its benefits are more than its disadvantages.
We should therefore look at;
-Restructuring, Repositioning, Skill acquisition & Empowerment.
-Mode of operation:
Send at least 100,000 NYSC each to serve at the following public places which they are ment to serve. There are Services & Administrative Department in in the following;
Road Safety
Traffic Control
Police
Nigerian Customs
Imigration Service
Parastatals
Nigerian Railway
NNPC
Local & State Govt.
All Hospitals.
All Transport Corporations
Federal Agricultural representatives to Villages to Organize local Agricultural campaign.

Tatics; NYSC members should now be posted to serve in their respective Local Govt. due to the present wave of in security.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 04, 2013
As usual, people will always blame the Government...

Those that are smart don't need government's intervention to better their own life.

Many people went to school without developing themselves and today, they are crying.

Have a nice day peeps... Enjoy your rants!

1 Like

Re: Should NYSC Be Scrapped? by nuelnuel: 11:58am On Jul 04, 2013
NYSC should be scrapped.It's long overdue.They say it brings unity but I want to tell everybody, if there is peace in the country Nigerians will mix and cooperate,southerners will move to the north to start businesses and northerners can also do the same.Some people say you can use the period to save money which you can use to start a business but I can tell you many people earn less than what they spend during NYSC.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. / NYSC Issue With Date Of Birth / What To Do During NYSC To Secure An Internship/job Afterwards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.