Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,748 members, 7,817,065 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:38 AM

Nigerians And Titles - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nigerians And Titles (1637 Views)

Nigerians And Kenyans Attack One Another On Twitter (hilarious!) / Poverty Mentality Of Nigerians And The Ripple Effect / Nigerians and Honorific Titles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians And Titles by Zahymaka(m): 7:26pm On May 22, 2006
It's all about titles, baby wink.

Everywhere in Nigeria, everyone wants to be called by some title -- Chief, Doctor, Engineer or something else.

My Dad's an engineer, but he hates titles -- he prefers to be called Mr O--. He's especially irked by my elder brother who insists on introducing him to everyone as Engineer O--. I guess I picked that trait from him, because I find it so irritating when I see people holding on to so many useless titles.

What are your views concerning this preoccupation with superficial titles -- is it really necessary to pick up a string of them? Personally, I'd prefer everyone called me by my first name -- even when I get a doctorate.
Re: Nigerians And Titles by hotangel2(f): 7:50pm On May 22, 2006
OMG, i know what you mean.

My aunt's husband, He's not an engineer, but he puts engineer in front of his name. He said he was doing some engineering stuffs or whatever,so he's technically an engineer. To make matters worse, he was made a deacon at church, likewise big mummy (my aunt).

So you see he puts, engineer, deacon , in front of his name.

And then he's like a chief in his hometown (modakeke), so he puts cheif in front of everything. EVEN WHEN HE'S WRITING ON OFFCIAL DOCUMENTS!
I'm like daing big daddy, do u really have to do all that, he's like Yes yetty bobo, i have to!

Chief, engineer deacon A. WTF?? My aunt is like, just leave big daddy alone oo. lol

What is it with some people and titles? Chief? Engineer, bank manager! Nigerians!! They put too much meaning into irrelevant stuffs.
Re: Nigerians And Titles by Badman888(m): 7:58pm On May 22, 2006
its like that, Some people are called, Chief, engr, Elder, and so on. They should cut it down and you see alot of this stuff in wedding invitations RSVP
Re: Nigerians And Titles by Zahymaka(m): 8:08pm On May 22, 2006
Personally, I feel the only titles allowed should be Chief, Dir, Sir, Professor, Father [for priests], as well as the Mrs, Mr and Miss variants.

They shouldn't even be combined in any way -- one is enough. I hate seeing Dr (Mrs.) X--, Chief (Mrs.) X-- or even Pastor (Mrs.) X--. It's so annoying.
Re: Nigerians And Titles by Nobody: 8:16pm On May 22, 2006
Chief Doctor Senator XYZ

Alh Chief (Dr.) ABC

Rt. Rev Evang. XYZ

Hon. Dr. ABC

Snr. Apostle. Prophet. Evang. ABC

All hail Nigerians!
Re: Nigerians And Titles by Zahymaka(m): 8:24pm On May 22, 2006
Oh my gosh. Your post has a beat like a song davidylan. grin grin
Re: Nigerians And Titles by Ashiwaju(m): 3:31pm On Jul 06, 2006
i for one don't see any importance in da tittle

It means absolutely nothing, if a white man can come to "Ife" of all places and get a tittle then whats so special about the tittle, If Pasoma says he is d Otunba, Kwam 1 Says he is da King!

OGD has over 20 tittles and funny enough no one of them has the tittles of CNN, BBC,DDP,NTA,AIT and the rest amongst their tittle. With time all those would be added cheesy
Re: Nigerians And Titles by mamaput(f): 9:51pm On Jul 06, 2006
I have a title to mama
My kids call me mama or ma thats not my name its a title.
Re: Nigerians And Titles by woleprof(m): 1:58pm On Jul 07, 2006
Y'all talk about prefix irrelivant titles, wat about unecessary suffix titles.
Re: Nigerians And Titles by woleprof(m): 6:23pm On Jul 07, 2006
i saw some one with the title

Chief (Dr.) ABAC, msi, frcs 1. Frcs 11, Dmi, scs,

surprisingly, he had been in the States for over a decade,

i think we should promugate a law baning unnecessary titles
Re: Nigerians And Titles by Seun(m): 11:29am On Jul 08, 2006
i think we should promugate a law baning unnecessary titles
Actually, what we need is a law banning unecessary laws. angry
Re: Nigerians And Titles by shango(m): 10:11pm On Jul 08, 2006
Any Nigerian who is not a Doctor or a Phd or a Lawyer and puts these or other titles in their names are fraudsters.

I am a chemical engineer and I would never put Engineer before my name, it is simply stupid. Nigerians need to getover themselves. Like that Emeagwali  character, typical ibo fraudster, claiming to be a father of the Internet and the greatest Nigerian Computer Scientist and this clown went to an adysmall College for his PHD and HIS THESIS WAS REJECTED BY THE UNIVERSITY BECAUSE IT WAS NOT UP TO STANDARD!

http://emeagwali.com/

look at that website. How can a computer scientist design a page so freaking WACK. My 15 year old brother has done pages in 10 minutes that put that POS to shame.

He is a scientist with ZERO published papers.

He puts Professor in his name and never got a PHD!

He claims to hold multiple patents yet a patent search at the US Patent Website shows ZERO patents.

He is lying scum, a non achieving piece of dudu who gives a bad name to respectable and accomplished Nigerians.
Re: Nigerians And Titles by Ashiwaju(m): 10:19pm On Jul 08, 2006
Fraudster u say? what makes them Fraudsters? thius is Nigeria remember?
Re: Nigerians And Titles by shango(m): 10:21pm On Jul 08, 2006
I just posted an example with facts on why he is a fraudster. Just because we are Nigerians doesnt mean we proclaim we are things we are not. Lets be real with ourselves
Re: Nigerians And Titles by Ashiwaju(m): 10:38pm On Jul 08, 2006
Tittles are like ordinary names in Nigeria!
Re: Nigerians And Titles by Zahymaka(m): 11:18pm On Jul 08, 2006
I do have some reservations about that Emeagwali guy.

I heard a story about George Bush saying Emeagwali was the Bill Gates of Africa. Emeagwali retorted that he was better than Bill Gates, since Bill Gates was 'just a businessman.' *

Back to the topic. Shango, my Dad's an engineer too, and does he hate that title when it's used before his name!

* I don't know if this is true -- before I get flamed!
Re: Nigerians And Titles by shango(m): 2:13am On Jul 09, 2006
If he had even ONE accomplishment to backup what he said I would even give him some credit. The man has done ZERO apart from this

Emeagwali used an existing supercomputer, the Connection Machine, in a more efficient manner for analysing petroleum fields. Emeagwali was not associated with this machine's development. Others were using this machine and its parallel processing capabilities for a number of purposes, including the other team that won the Gordon Bell Prize in 1989.

He increased an existing connection machines performance to cost ratio. Engineers do this all the time. Hell I have made plant designs more efficient, its was engineering is all about, we hardly reinvent the wheel in engineering.

Emeagwali, cites CNN as describing him as "a father of the Internet." Emeagwali bases his claim on the notion that "the Supercomputer is the father of the internet", in that both a supercomputer and the Internet can be viewed as an interconnected network of processing units working cooperatively. This is in contrast to the "father of the Internet" usually acknowledged by the computing community, Vint Cerf.

This is laughable in so many ways. First he had nothing to do with the supercomputer, he just made one particular supercomputer called the conenction machine more efficient. How this translates into supercomputers and the internet being interchangeable and hence him being the father of the internet is beyond me.

He has one accomplishment and won a Gordon Bell prize which isnt even all that. There are way more important competitions in Computer Science, and he tries to compare it to the Nobel on his webpage. Apart from winning a prize in a scientific competition which millions of students have done he has accomplished NOTHING. If winning a competition in making an existing apparatus more efficient entitles one to be called a Professor even though he didnt get a PhD and claim to be a father of the internet when he did zero reasearch or R&grin into the field, then I am the father of modern Quantum Physics.
Re: Nigerians And Titles by woleprof(m): 8:39am On Jul 10, 2006
Seun:

Actually, what we need is a law banning unecessary laws. angry

Re: Nigerians And Titles by naijadiva2(f): 6:54pm On Jul 10, 2006
i kno what you mean. my grandma has a title and her's chief.
Re: Nigerians And Titles by kimba(m): 3:45am On Jul 11, 2006
The truth is in Nigeria, if you need favors from people, just hail them,

as for me, I learnt to call everybody "Chairman".
Re: Nigerians And Titles by letmov: 12:57pm On Feb 19, 2020
Lol

(1) (Reply)

If You See Python In Your Room Can You Kill It Or You Will Call People? / Customs Officer Shot In Cold Blood By Senior Colleague / Finding Mercy Nollywood

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.