Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,509 members, 7,812,569 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:32 PM

Morsy's Overthrow, Good Or Bad - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Morsy's Overthrow, Good Or Bad (637 Views)

Hussein Khomeini (khomini Grandson) Calls For The Overthrow Of Govt. In Iran / Horrifying Brutality Of Pro-morsy Protesters In Egypt - Killing POLICE!!! / Morsy's Overthrow, Good Or Bad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Morsy's Overthrow, Good Or Bad by Nosyke(m): 9:35pm On Jul 03, 2013
Now let me start by saying that I am not an expert in International diplomacy.

Just a few moments ago, the democratically elected President of Egypt, President Mohammed Morsy was overthrown by the country's military hierarchy. Recall that on July 1st, Morsy was given a 48 hour ultimatum to resolve his political issues.
Having said that, is there a justification for the Military ousting a democratically elected government?

Please recall that Morsy, rode on the sentiments of Egyptians to power after SIt tight President Horsny Mubarak and his children were outsted from power 2 years ago under similar conditions and he gathered majority of the votes and promised to take everybody along in his regime; a promise he never kept.

It is interesting to see the high level of religious tolerance in Egypt where both the Christain and Muslim top most men jointly presented their consent to the new Government of Adly Mansour (who was until tonight, the Chief Justice of Egypt).

Now 2 years ago, there was a revolution and Mubarak was ousted, this year another revolution Morsy had been booted out, if this trend continues, won't we be seeing another baton change in Egypt soon, is it healthy, especially with military involvement.

Please let's discuss this.
Re: Morsy's Overthrow, Good Or Bad by 99cent: 9:42pm On Jul 03, 2013
BAD. duh
a millitary ousting a democratically elected govt is BAD.why are you even asking this question?
if people don't like Morsi, he only has 4 yrs before another person can be democratically elected. that is a DEMOCRACY.

A COUP is never a good thing. you should know that as a NIgerian. Tough luck to Egypt because they may never smell democracy again for many decades.
Re: Morsy's Overthrow, Good Or Bad by Nosyke(m): 5:52am On Jul 04, 2013
@ 99 cent, I share your sentiments too.
But some other people will argue that as long as the ultimate result was to remove a 'non-performing government,it doesn't matter how it is done.

I think that the Egyptians were a little bit to fast as they would have given Morsy sometime to readjust , moreso since he had seen the power in their number and had admitted to his mistakes while pledging to turn a new leaf.

Wish this, I really fear for their future
Re: Morsy's Overthrow, Good Or Bad by makahlj2: 9:23am On Jul 04, 2013
99cent: BAD. duh
a millitary ousting a democratically elected govt is BAD.why are you even asking this question?
if people don't like Morsi, he only has 4 yrs before another person can be democratically elected. that is a DEMOCRACY.

A COUP is never a good thing. you should know that as a NIgerian. Tough luck to Egypt because they may never smell democracy again for many decades.
Yes, but only if we are sure that democracy is always a good thing. Which is far from proven, especially for countries such as Egypt (and Nigeria too).
Re: Morsy's Overthrow, Good Or Bad by 99cent: 7:24pm On Jul 05, 2013
makahlj2: Yes, but only if we are sure that democracy is always a good thing. Which is far from proven, especially for countries such as Egypt (and Nigeria too).

lol. so u would much prefer military rule? u already miss ABACHA?
Re: Morsy's Overthrow, Good Or Bad by makahlj2: 8:27pm On Jul 05, 2013
99cent:

I didn't say what I'd prefer. Actually, it depends on the circumstances. Blind faith in a "democracy" can be no less harmful than a military junta.
Re: Morsy's Overthrow, Good Or Bad by tpia5: 1:26am On Jul 06, 2013
@ topic

dunno.

just wondering if nigeria will copy this at some point.
Re: Morsy's Overthrow, Good Or Bad by Nobody: 3:40am On Jul 06, 2013
A little bit of both.
Re: Morsy's Overthrow, Good Or Bad by cdoffx(m): 12:00pm On Jul 06, 2013
99cent:

Why did you cite Abacha and not Murtala. Personally it doesn't matter to me Khaki or not, its the personality there that matters

(1) (Reply)

Bus Collision In South Africa Killed 29 And Injured Several Others / Us’s Black-ops Blackout.unraveling The Secrets Of The Military’s Secret Military / If Nuclear War Doesn't Exterminate Us Ebola Virus Might - Paul Craig Roberts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.