Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

Who Is Your Role Model? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Who Is Your Role Model? (13444 Views)

8 Tips To Be More Better Then Your Role Model / Please Who Are Your Role Models In These Areas? / Your Role Model In Corporate Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Your Role Model? by Seun(m): 5:22pm On Aug 21, 2005
Most of us have role models - people we look up to and will like to emulate in one way or the other. Your role model might be:
- Someone in your family, for example your mother or father.
- A popular political figure, for example Bill Clinton or Saddan Hussein.
- A popular social figure like Mother Theresa, or Tai Solarin.
- A showbiz personality like Genevieve Nnaji or Liz Benson.
- A businessman like Dangote or Bill Gates.
- Someone else who projects an image of what you'd like to become.

So who is your role model? Or do you have more than one? Please, tell us!
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by kazey(m): 5:36pm On Aug 21, 2005
Donald Trump and all other failures in the business world. grin They motivate me that failure is an inevitable way to success. But his lifestyle still is high sha.

But I do admire people like Richard Branson, Martha Stewart, Bill Gates, Paul Allen, Oprah Winfrey, the greatest Henry Ford, Micheal Dell, and the likes.

What about people like Jeff Benzos (Amazon Founder)? I really don't know what category i would put him. He is just crazy. Maybe he motivates me in the aspect of taking crazy risks.
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by dablessed(f): 6:54pm On Aug 21, 2005
Pastor Mrs Abimbola Odukoya.

Her ministry as a whole motivates me. She is a woman of integrity, honour, intelligence , beauty, high standard and power.

She motivates me that i can have a wonderful and intimate relationship with the opposite sex without "opening up my legs"

She motivates me that i can succeed, combining the role of a wife, mother and career woman.

I am quite encouraged by the humility and respect she has for her Husband - even though she's considered more popular than him.

Also, she has an excellent dress-sense and this motivates me as well.

Most importantly, she is a praying woman, a fighter and warrior - i admire this a lot.
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by nike4luv(f): 11:18pm On Aug 21, 2005
dablessed, you know that woman? Wow shes so great! The way she talks is amazing and she got great sense of humon, I listened to her today cheesy
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by hotangel2(f): 12:50am On Aug 22, 2005
Dablessed. I love that woman while i was small in NIgeria. I forgot about her! Gosh i love her.

Well mine are: My dad, God, Oprah winfrey, Jennifer Lopez, Genevieve Nnaji, Late Mrs. Bimbo Odukoya, My aunt, and Ellen Degeneres.
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by nike4luv(f): 12:51am On Aug 22, 2005
role moderl:
beyonce, my mama, halle berry and latoya
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by Latoya(f): 5:42am On Aug 22, 2005
How sweet Nike ............... kiss

My Role Models are:

Ben carson
Nelson mandela
oprah
My Mum
My Aunties
My dad
Mother Threasa
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by hotangel2(f): 5:44am On Aug 22, 2005
I like the mother theresa part. cheesy
She's indeed a role model/mother. smiley
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by Latoya(f): 6:26am On Aug 22, 2005
Yes she is
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by Chxta(m): 8:02am On Aug 22, 2005
My role model?

That would be Ioseb Dzughashvili
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by hotangel2(f): 8:42am On Aug 22, 2005
Why not just call his new name? Joseph stalin? smiley
You want to crack people's head with his un-pronouncable birth name. cheesy
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by Seun(m): 1:01pm On Aug 22, 2005
My role model for a long time has been Bill Gates, because he's so rich and a ruthless competitor, yet he has an ok family life. Compared to someone like Bill Gates, hollywood actors are poor small boys/girls, yet they can't hold on to their relationships. Yet this rich, extremely aggressive businessman is able to hold on to his own family? Now that's something I admire. How rich, you say? Rich enough to singlehandedly pay Nigeria's debts.

Now let me explain why I believe in being rich. Bill gates started out as a business-teen. Other programmers were coding for love, he started out coding for money. At 19 or so he wrote a popular essay that programmers should stop copying each others' programs without paying for it; that programs should not be free! He didn't start out by giving money away or pursuing social causes; as a true capitalist he started out with an aggressive plan to make lots of money. Yet, now that he is rich, he is able to fund the largest charity organization in the world - the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.

Now that is a model I'd love to copy: make lots of money, and then when you're tired of making money, start giving it away in a way that makes a real difference in the world. A tangible, noticeable difference. That's why I love Bill Gates - he shows that you can pursue money when you are young and then when you're older the money can be diverted to good causes. What he is able to do with his money is much more than what you can do by begging others to give away money!
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by queen2(f): 3:23pm On Aug 22, 2005
My role model is Bimbo odukoya, in terms of her Single and Married program. As for church preaching , My dear honorable Pastor Enoch Adeboye. And for singing have got so many mentor for gospel, im gonna go 4 kirk franklin and host if others, and my dear Wale adenuga of the redeemed christian church, also some nigerian singers...
As for hip hop, waoh, is gonna be beyonce n destiny's child and my dear Will smith, he's da bomb
Nigerian actress, thats genevieve
Actor, now n for ever RMD

And educationally my dear Wole Soyinka...
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by WesleyanA(f): 8:53pm On Aug 22, 2005
i was going to say that i didn't have any role models but then i figured. . . . my best friend is my role model smiley
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by Ka: 9:53pm On Aug 22, 2005
I don't really have a role model per se... but I do have people I admire.

Typically they're people who do or say things that are the right things to say or do, but which are so unpopular at the time that they have few or no supporters. This is especially if they could easily keep quiet and do nothing, and when speaking or acting puts them at great personal risk.

I'm thinking of people like William Tyndale, the great Bible Translator who did a tremendous amount of work in translating the Bible so that it could be read not just by the high and mighty (in Latin) but by the common man (in English). This work met with fierce opposition from the Catholic Church (which was all powerful at the time), and it cost him his life. But I think that it's worth losing your life to ensure that ideas that you believe in are made available to many.

I also admire people who are polymaths - people who are are talented and take an interest in so many different and disparate areas. Obviously, I would have to mention Leonardo da Vinci (artist, architect, sculptor, engineer) or Isaac Newton (mathematician, physicist), But there are also many modern day polymaths around - people like Ray Kurzweil (who produced music synthesizers and optical character recognition software). It's great to know that there are such people who do not see any limit to how much they can learn and achieve - contrast that to the Naija attitude of 'it's not my line, so I don't care about it'.
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by Scorpio(f): 1:53am On Aug 23, 2005
My parents, each have their own unique characters and everyday I really pray to be a little more like them.

Devine Brown - she's a new Canadian artist and she's d first singer that I feel like I really connect with the words in each song on her album.
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by laideo(f): 12:33pm On Aug 23, 2005
i'd love to call all those wonderful,intellectual and powerful rich people...who indeed r role models..because of what dey've achieved and wat they stand for and all...but my role model is my DAD.....he's just such a wonderful man...not perfect...just wonderful!!

but my ultimate role model...is God..

@hot-angel......y ellen degeneres....m just curious.
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by WesleyanA(f): 6:51pm On Aug 23, 2005
she wants to be a freak dancer.... duh! wink
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by terry(m): 5:13am On Aug 24, 2005
i look up to my dad as a role model. I admire Kobe Bryant, G-unit, boys in da hood, bone thugz and xzibit, not to forget Slow down master Bobby Valentino
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by hotangel2(f): 7:35am On Aug 24, 2005
laide o:

@hot-angel.y ellen degeneres.m just curious.

I like her because she ain't scared to tell the world her sexuality and also because dang!!!, she's is Vibrant and crazy. I just love her for the her you see on TV. cheesy cheesy

Today is my birthday, WHoever says the world doesn't evolve arround me is a liar, cos today, It does.
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by WesleyanA(f): 7:40am On Aug 24, 2005
what's her sexuality?
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by hotangel2(f): 7:40am On Aug 24, 2005
She's a lesbian.
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by IAH(f): 2:52pm On Aug 24, 2005
1. Show me your role-model and I will tell you the kind of person you are.
2. By their role-models you shall know them.
LOL, hot-angel I'm just messing with you. grin
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by hotangel2(f): 3:21am On Aug 25, 2005
I know IAH, cheesy
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by WesleyanA(f): 12:20am On Sep 01, 2005
i do have a role mode cheesy.. . . . it's rosalind franklin. i call her rosa.
i love her and would like to be liek her except the not getting credit part.
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by Princess(f): 12:44am On Sep 01, 2005
My role model?: My mom and mariah carey.
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by lilcox(f): 2:14am On Sep 03, 2005
My role model is my mum
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by Princess(f): 2:17am On Sep 03, 2005
Hi lilcox hope am not too late to say welcome?
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by mycutiepie(f): 11:28pm On Sep 07, 2005
I have a list of my role models not just one, here they are:
1st Role Model- Baba God- Baba mo rowo yin ninu aiye mi, aiye mi dare o, mo wa sope smiley
2nd- R to the K-E-L-L-Y - I love him, I don't care what people say and still don't believe that he commited what was levied against him.
3RD- My Nigerian Role Model is -Victor Erabie- I will forever love and admire you.
And of course after God are my Parents. wink
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by icingbaby(f): 12:22am On Oct 31, 2005
my role model is my mom and my 2 brothers smiley
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by ldollier(f): 11:56pm On Oct 31, 2005
ma mother, and God
Re: Who Is Your Role Model? by nferyn(m): 12:13am On Nov 01, 2005
Not really role models (I won't step in their shoes), but people I admire:

Politics:
Mahatma Ghandi
Nelson Mandela
Willy Brandt
Rosa Luxemburg
Patrice Lumumba

Business/Economics:
Anita Roddick
Richard Branson
Jef Bezos (mixed feelings as well)
J.K. Galbraith

Science/Academics:
Leonardo Da Vinci
Andreas Vesalius
Ilia Prirogine
Richard Dawkins
Jared Diamond

Would have lots more to add, but these were of the top of my head

And of course - may she rest in peace - Rosa Parks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Should You Ask Your Boss For Your Salary Or Wait Until He Gives You? / Why Do You Find Your Salary Disappointing? / Is It Too Hard to Cope With Pregnancy Or Pregnant Employees In Your Workplace?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.