Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,865 members, 7,855,551 topics. Date: Monday, 10 June 2024 at 03:30 AM

Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase (17491 Views)

Abuja-kaduna Rail Project No Longer Feasible In May – Amaechi / #BringBackOurGirls Member Mubaraka Sani Dies In Accident Along Abuja-kaduna Road / El-rufai Declares N90bn Assets, Owns 40 Houses In Abuja, Kaduna - The Union (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by atlwireles: 11:47pm On Jul 04, 2013
all4naija: The title of the thread points to Abuja-Kaduna railway. Where is that if it is not Abuja or Kaduna? What is JAMB?

Which planet did you arrive from?

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Itoroetti(m): 11:48pm On Jul 04, 2013
all4naija: The title of the thread points to Abuja-Kaduna railway. Where is that if it is not Abuja or Kaduna? What is JAMB?

Are u joking with the above write up?so immediately after abj,u get to kaduna?
I can't stop laughing.

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Abok1(m): 11:48pm On Jul 04, 2013

The level of shamelessness as exhibited from Sincere9gerian is just unfathomable.

How would someone shamelessly call track laying the final phase of an High speed train construction project?

Except you don't know what an High speed rail is called which can be understood, don't you dare come to a public fora like Nairaland to lie into our faces.

Firstly, where are the overhead switches for powering the high-speed rail? Until you get to this phase, you cannot say with clear conscience that you are in a final phase of construction.

Secondly, if the overhead current transmitters are constructed, where would the FG conjure up the required power generation to sustain the constant need for the individual railway footprints?

I think you should desist from saying things that you know little about, because its becoming insulting to say the least

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Itoroetti(m): 11:51pm On Jul 04, 2013
stebell: God bless yu too. Me and some of my frnds in dis forum residing in PH City will continue to always look at de gud side of Mr. President. I don't care wat ever Eko Ile. Gbawe, Prof Corruption et al say. I'll keep rooting for GEJ. To all of yu who hv stood wit de progress made by de Pres, I say THANK YU. #TEAM FRESH AIR#

God bless u for supporting the right man at center of our circle(Nigeria)
Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Rossikk(m): 11:52pm On Jul 04, 2013
Abok1:

Secondly, if the overhead current transmitters are constructed, where would the FG conjure up the required power generation to sustain the constant need for the individual railway footprints?

Mr Socrates. I'm sure they never thought about that, unlike you, the guru.

Why don't you wait for the project completion. Then you'll see where the power would be ''conjured'' from?

5 Likes

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Itoroetti(m): 11:55pm On Jul 04, 2013
oluamid:

That NYSC increament is not true Oo°˚˚˚°. Last time I was paid, it was still 19,800.

Pls who increased the allawee?suprise to hear u say its not GEJ but b4 telling me who did that,read the link below

www.nairaland.com/711342/joinathan-approved-new-19800-allowance
Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Nobody: 11:56pm On Jul 04, 2013
for d 1st tym eva i would praise MR.PRESIDENT...yea he.deserve it dis tym..bt stop been a tyranny..d way he goes abt his re election bid is too dictatorial in Nature.for a shoeless Man..d Mount Everest of a wife he has isnt helping matters either..
anyway thumbsup Mr.President on dis..

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by funshint(m): 11:57pm On Jul 04, 2013
Really!!! Well maybe by Ala-igbo standard GEJ is performing. U̶̲̥̅̊ guys are alrdy used to poor performance by your leaders(rulers). I really pity U̶̲̥̅̊ guys and d 40 PDP laptop dogs that hv been commenting and replying b4 my post. Even wen Obj was d president, the SW was his greatest critic 'cos we don't play politics of blind ethnicity. We judge our leaders based on performance and credibility. GEJ is just ruling without a clear blueprint of how to lead d country. Its so shameful we've found ourselves in dis kind of mess. He should just thank his chi Nigeria isn't like Egypt, we would hv given him the #Morsy treatment!

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Nobody: 12:12am On Jul 05, 2013
Itoroetti :

Are u joking with the above write up?so immediately after abj,u get to kaduna?
I can't stop laughing.
Where did I make such claim in any of my comments?
Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Nobody: 12:13am On Jul 05, 2013
atlwireles:

Which planet did you arrive from?
Planet earth. I don't really know the reason for such question. I think it is unnecessary.
Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Abok1(m): 12:25am On Jul 05, 2013
Rossikk:

Why don't you wait for the project completion. Then you'll see where the power would be ''conjured'' from?

Now I know you guys are jokers, you should have stated in the title that the train project is just starting, then we will take you serious, not lie in our faces about being in the final phase.

How about the practicability of the exercise? I bet you think constructing an high speed rail line is a joke. It is permissible if you guys are ignorant and rather than try helplessly to mask your naivety, you should come out plainly and admit your folly.

How does it benefit an average Nigerian if you embark on an ego boosting project that is simply senseless to say the least? How does investing billions of dollars into Highspeed rail improve the standard of living of an average Nigerian. How does it improve the standard of education?

An average locomotive train which is not HSR costs between €1.29million ("Inspiro" EMUs) to €4.7million (Vossloh Espania), thats expensive in itself, talkless of an old variant HSR engine of the likes of 300X Shinkansen (1996 or 1997) which costs around $40 million each. How many of those would be needed to effectively service the whole country? or you guys are thinking of buying just one HSR train engine to serve the whole federation.

Lets state the obvious when we see it. GEJ is trying, but investing in HSR is simply stupidity and for you praise singers to applaud such move shows your level of reasoning. GEJ should not finish the whole federal reserve or push Nigeria into years of indebtedness all because of senseless projects. There are millions of projects that could be effectively tackled which would be more beneficial to the masses

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Rossikk(m): 12:28am On Jul 05, 2013
Nigeria: FG to Upgrade 19 Rail Tracks to Standard Gauge

Vanguard Lagos

BY JONAH NWOKPOKU, 17 JUNE 2013

The Federal Government has said it has identified about nineteen railway routes that will be upgraded to standard gauge lines.

The newly appointed chairman of Board of Directors, Nigeria Railway Corporation, NRC, Alhaji Abubakar Baraje stated this during an interactive session with news men after an experiential train ride from Ebute-Metta Junction to Ikeja in Lagos.

"We intend to focus our attention on the full rehabilitation of the eastern rail lines and that will commence after we have increased the frequency of our traffic on the already rehabilitated lines. We also intend to open up new rail lines and to start the construction of standard gauge lines which is our next innovation. Already, about nineteen stations have been identified for that purpose," he said.

Nigeria Railway has been operating on the narrow gauge lines that do not allow for optimum speed. This upgrade to wider standard gauge lines will allow for more speed efficiency.

Baraje who was on his first official visit to the railway headquarters as the new chairman of the Board of Directors commended the management of the corporation on their rehabilitation efforts as he pledged that his team will consolidate on the ground works already done.

"After all the places we have visited and what we have seen, the impression that we have is that a lot of work has been done and we intend to build upon that ground work already done by the Managing Director, Engr. Adeseyi Sijuade and his team. We would work with him to sustain the transformation agenda of the present administration in revitalizing the railway," he said.

Earlier he and his team embarked on an inspection tour of the different facilities of the corporation, where he visited the local workshop, where the wheel-less machines are maintained, the coaches and wagons maintenance workshop, the training school and the railway clinic.

On his assessment, he said that what he saw showed that there has been high level of decay because of the long years of neglect.

"After over 25 years of neglect, one cannot expect anything less. But the government has renewed its commitment to bringing back the railway and we have been seeing positive actions in that regard. That shall continue until the railway will be fully revitalized," he said.

He further disclosed that the corporation's next focus would be on the full revival of the eastern axis after increasing the regular traffic on the already rehabilitated western lines.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201306170573.html
Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Rossikk(m): 12:29am On Jul 05, 2013
Abok1:

Now I know you guys are jokers, you should have stated in the title that the train project is just starting, then we will take you serious, not lie in our faces about being in the final phase.

How about the practicability of the exercise? I bet you think constructing an high speed rail line is a joke. It is permissible if you guys are ignorant and rather than try helplessly to mask your naivety, you should come out plainly and admit your folly.

How does it benefit an average Nigerian if you embark on an ego boosting project that is simply senseless to say the least? How does investing billions of dollars into Highspeed rail improve the standard of living of an average Nigerian. How does it improve the standard of education?

An average locomotive train which is not HSR costs between €1.29million ("Inspiro" EMUs) to €4.7million (Vossloh Espania), thats expensive in itself, talkless of an old variant HSR engine of the likes of 300X Shinkansen (1996 or 1997) which costs around $40 million each. How many of those would be needed to effectively service the whole country? or you guys are thinking of buying just one HSR train engine to serve the whole federation.

Lets state the obvious when we see it. GEJ is trying, but investing in HSR is simply stupidity and for you praise singers to applaud such move shows your level of reasoning. GEJ should not finish the whole federal reserve or push Nigeria into years of indebtedness all because of senseless projects. There are millions of projects that could be effectively tackled which would be more beneficial to the masses

Ever heard of Public-Private Partnership?

4 Likes

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Nobody: 12:38am On Jul 05, 2013
Rossikk:

Can you explain to us what that mean?

Thank you!

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Abok1(m): 12:38am On Jul 05, 2013
Rossikk:

I am getting bored with your rhetorics and geriatrics, I have stated the multiple reasons why this exercise is wasteful and unnecessary, you haven't countered any of the points raised. On the issue of PPP, no sane Private investor would invest the necessary capital into HSR without guarantees, this are not mere assurances on the part of the government. We are talking about regional guarantees that assures the operator that even if they don't make profits in the home countries, they can venture to other places depending on the forces of demand. Not only that, they need indicators showing precedence which in the case of Nigeria is absent. How do you expect a Venture capital to invest into a country that could not manage a mere locomotive engine powered rail lines? How do you convince them to invest when you can not generate enough power to service up to 20% of the populace without interruption for a long term?

Without mincing words, we are misplacing our priorities.

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by dabrake(m): 12:47am On Jul 05, 2013
stebell: because it's not Fashola, it is whack and dirty abi? Young man go find work do and stop hating. It's not good for ur well being. Even if it's a 200L students' assignment, at de end of de assignment, peeps will still use it to travel and dat will be a gud tin no be so?
omo, see vexing nah. it's just my opinion so respect it.
by the way, I'm from akwa Ibom state so the issue of BRF doesn't come in.
Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Abok1(m): 12:48am On Jul 05, 2013

Here's a short piece for you to critically access the viability of the proposed venture

Let's assume we are trying to finance a metro line in a large, developing but fictitious capital city and we have prepared estimates for the number of passengers expected to use the system and the cost of building the system. Suppose we have a line which is mostly elevated on concrete structures and runs for 15 kms across the city. It might cost US$ 50 million a kilometre including trains and all equipment necessary to run the line - power, signalling control, communications, fare collection, a maintenance depot, stations and operating offices. It could add up to US$ 750 million. Let's assume we have borrowed the money to pay for it and we have got to pay interest at 10% per annum. That's US$ 75 million a year in interest to pay - at least for the first few years.

To cover the interest payments we need to sell tickets - lots of them. Well, we have a large, populated city in a rapidly developing country and our consultants have done detailed traffic surveys. They tell us we can expect an average of 150,000 passenger trips a day. This is equivalent to a medium-sized metro or light rail system and would show a peak hour flow in the peak direction of about 18,000 - 20,000 passengers.

Because this is public transit and we want to attract passengers and we want to keep them from polluting the city with their cars, we keep the fares as low as possible so we expect an average income of US$ 0.50 per trip. This is actually low for the US and Europe but about right for a developing city. It gives us an income of just over US$ 27 million a year. Well folks, this doesn't even cover our interest payments. And we haven't paid for our power yet, nor employees to run the system, nor allowed for maintenance costs, nor a sinking fund for renewals. And we haven't figured out how to pay back the $750 million we borrowed in the first place, which the bank wants back in 10 years - equivalent to $75 million a year.

Here is our simplified annual income and expenditure sheet:

Item Income/Year Expenditure/Year
Fares $27 million
Operations $25 million
Maintenance $20 million
Renewals $15 million
Interest $75 million
Repayments $75 million

Item Income/Year Expenditure/Year
Total $27 million $200 million

So, in our example, our costs are nearly seven times our income and our income estimates are already very optimistic. Here, we are seeing income as 12.8% of expenditure. In most modern rail transit projects the real income/expenditure ratio is between 5% and 20%. Don't forget also that there won't be any income for the three to four years (or whatever) it takes to build the system.

High Speed Line Financing Example
In considering costs and revenue, we can look also at a high speed line. In this example, the project is a 350 km line which is expected to cost US$ 17.5 billion to build and equip. Daily trips are expected to be 250,000, so each trip must generate $19.75 just to cover interest payments. An additional $75 a trip will be required to cover operating, energy and maintenance costs. So far no profit has been included. An airline ticket to cover the same distance is approximately the same price but the trip takes one third of the time. The government would have to finance a large chunk of the construction costs (the expectation is 50%) and they would have to guarantee the repayments to lenders. The hope is that property development in the areas around the stations along the route will generate finance and income to help fund the project. Property can be very profitable but it is also a very high risk investment and it should be regarded as a long term investment. Only a few new railways have generated much additional income through property development.

The Way Forward - Backwards?
The last 15 years have shown that the privatisation of the railways in the UK has not proved to be the success that politicians hoped it would be. It has proved expensive, increasing real costs by 50% pro rata over those of the nationalised railway.

Sources: International Railway Journal, Railway Gazette International, Modern Railways, Railway Age, Mass Transit, Asia Rail Conference 1999.

The piece above is self explanatory

1 Like

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by chaloner(m): 12:59am On Jul 05, 2013
Abok1:

I am getting bored with your rhetorics and geriatrics, I have stated the multiple reasons why this exercise is wasteful and unnecessary, you haven't countered any of the points raised. On the issue of PPP, no sane Private investor would invest the necessary capital into HSR without guarantees, this are not mere assurances on the part of the government. We are talking about regional guarantees that assures the operator that even if they don't make profits in the home countries, they can venture to other places depending on the forces of demand. Not only that, they need indicators showing precedence which in the case of Nigeria is absent. How do you expect a Venture capital to invest into a country that could not manage a mere locomotive engine powered rail lines? How do you convince them to invest when you can not generate enough power to service up to 20% of the populace without interruption for a long term?

Without mincing words, we are misplacing our priorities.

Please if u are not happy better go and sleep or as well enjoy ur fight in dream dnt u ever come here to make dis silly noise again....... How many so priority work do ur past government did? Its high time some pple like this start receiving slap from each member of nairaland cos wat u re trying to tell us is dat our president can't see. Be careful.

4 Likes

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by austinkenneth: 1:04am On Jul 05, 2013
chidindufrank: The North must be really proud of GEJ's administration because it has given due attention to the daily needs of people of the north.This rail network When completed would boost economic activities in that part of the country.

and they keep saruing he is not doing anything. This government bad as e be is the best since the first republic.
Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Abok1(m): 1:10am On Jul 05, 2013
chaloner:
Please if u are not happy better go and sleep or as well enjoy ur fight in dream dnt u ever come here to make dis silly noise again....... How many so priority work do ur past government did? Its high time some pple like this start receiving slap from each member of nairaland cos wat u re trying to tell us is dat our president can't see. Be careful.

I nearly overlooked your comment, but could not resist the urge to address your ignorance.

I was having a 'civilised' discussion with a person who fully understood my points, but rather than you contribute meaningfully to the topic, you resort to abusing my person without knowing you from Adam. I fully respect your right to asinine comments, but in the interest of respect for the challenged, I will let this pass. Next time when your level of reasoning cannot decipher the points being analysed, simply ignore the statements, rather than resorting to embarrassing yourself in a public forum. I wonder from under which rock you crawled out from. Is this how you slap everyone around you? This shows your level of sanity.

You are the one that needs to go to bed because it's evening where I am.
Now you can crawl back.

6 Likes

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by sarutobie(m): 1:31am On Jul 05, 2013
Abok1:

I nearly overlooked your comment, but could not resist the urge to address your ignorance.

I was having a 'civilised' discussion with a person who fully understood my points, but rather than you contribute meaningfully to the topic, you resort to abusing my person without knowing you from Adam. I fully respect your right to asinine comments, but in the interest of respect for the challenged, I will let this pass. Next time when your level of reasoning cannot decipher the points being analysed, simply ignore the statements, rather than resorting to embarrassing yourself in a public forum. I wonder from under which rock you crawled out from. Is this how you slap everyone around you? This shows your level of sanity.

You are the one that needs to go to bed because it's evening where I am.
Now you can crawl back.
It should have sunk into your head by now that nobody is taking you serious..try another tactics...meanwhile keep breathing the fresh air!

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by plaindealer: 1:34am On Jul 05, 2013
Rossikk:

I wonder why you did not tell the OP to wait till they figure all that out before using the phrase final phase...

2 Likes

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Abok1(m): 1:43am On Jul 05, 2013
sarutobie:
It should have sunk into your head by now that nobody is taking you serious..try another tactics...meanwhile keep breathing the fresh air!

Let me guess, you feel high levels of ecstasy by replying a question with shallow statements like the one you made above. You must think my sole aim for pointing out the folly of the HSR is for self commendation and approval?

You just don't get it, I have merely stated the obvious, prove me wrong with facts and figures. This is not a dick measurement competition

Its quite funny when I read comments like yours about being taken serious. Another intelligent comment from someone to be taken serious I guess, what an irony

5 Likes

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by plaindealer: 1:44am On Jul 05, 2013
Abok1:

It's really not high speed, it's fast speed aka glorified locomotive.. just a lil faster than the almost dead locomotives they've spent billions on.

And there is nothing final about this project, even the vice president just laid laid the track of the project at the Idu area of Abuja today today gan sef and the $500 million loan they just secured to spend on the project never land.

I'm used to the OP's usual BS so why take him seriously ..

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by ennecco: 2:03am On Jul 05, 2013
God bless nigeria . good work keep on
Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by ogb5(m): 2:21am On Jul 05, 2013
I want a rail link between Lagos and Calabar, passing through Warri.

Not kaduna to abuja.
Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by Justice42003: 3:18am On Jul 05, 2013
I hope say the rail track no go get toll gates,
cos i want 2 buy a small train that will convain me n my family from abuja 2 kad. In d case of heavy traffic.# team fresh AIR#
Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by awodman: 3:54am On Jul 05, 2013
@ Abok1 kindly read this part of the report..this time slowly...

...."I am, therefore, highly delighted to perform the official
commencement of the track laying for the Abuja (Idu) to
Kaduna railway modernization project which signifies the
final critical aspect towards completion of this segment of
rail modernization in Nigeria,"the vice president enthused.......
Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by splashbaby(m): 4:00am On Jul 05, 2013
...at what price this railess project is costing us...besides China products doesn't last!
Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by splashbaby(m): 4:36am On Jul 05, 2013
sarutobie:
"Dull-head" I go paste E-Slap for that brainless head of yours for senseless comments...Can't you read and understand figures...He's talking about huge capital investment without feasible profits to service the loan let alone offset the debt itself..If this was your business will you go into such venture?.."animal in human skin"

3 Likes

Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by plaindealer: 4:53am On Jul 05, 2013
splashbaby: "Dull-head" I go paste E-Slap for that brainless head of yours for senseless comments...Can't you read and understand figures...He's talking about huge capital investment without feasible profits to service the loan let alone offset the debt itself..If this was your business will you go into such venture?.."animal in human skin"

That part flew over their heads. I don't even think they are capable of such critical thinking and analysis..
Re: Construction Of Abuja-Kaduna Fast Railway Enters Final Phase by snakova(m): 5:03am On Jul 05, 2013
wat sort of trainz wud use it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Senate To Share Committees Between APC, PDP / Shiites Don’t Recognize Buhari, Me As President, Governor – El-rufai / 30 Retired Senior Police Officers Drag Force, Presidency To Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.