Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,093 members, 7,814,823 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:27 PM

4th July 1976: The Raid On Entebbe - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / 4th July 1976: The Raid On Entebbe (1496 Views)

Foreigners Targeted In Massive Police Raid In South Africa / Pictures: Obama And His Team Watched The Raid Of Osama Live From White House / Police Raid On Colombian Drug Dealer! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4th July 1976: The Raid On Entebbe by jayflex: 1:59am On Jul 05, 2013
Exactly 37 years ago, the Israeli Defense Forces (IDF) pulled off one of the most daring and successful rescue operations in history.

The Entebbe Airport terminal building 
The story began on the 27th of June 1976 when an Air France flight that originated from Tel-Aviv was hijacked by four terrorists from Palestine and West Germany who boarded the flight during a stopover at Athens Airport. The plane was forced to land in Benghazi, Libya for refueling and then took off for Entebbe Airport, Uganda.  When the plane landed in Uganda, four more terrorists joined the party and the Jewish passengers were separated from the rest and herded into the airport terminal. Non Jews were put on another plane and flown out Uganda. Idi Amin was in full support of the terrorists and personally welcomed them. Ugandan troops were also posted to secure the area.

Continue reading at http://www.kizarofaro..co.uk/2013/07/july-4th1976-miraculous-raid-on-entebbe_4.html?m=1

Re: 4th July 1976: The Raid On Entebbe by odogwux(m): 7:51am On Jul 05, 2013
Just read the whole thing. Wow! No wonder arab countries hate them. Imagine arab countries and russia describing the rescue operation as an act of aggression but didn't say a word to the monster Idi Amin for all his support to the PLO and hijackers.

Infact I'm going to go and dig up some of my old movies on the thing.
Re: 4th July 1976: The Raid On Entebbe by jayflex: 8:45am On Jul 05, 2013
odogwu-x:

Infact I'm going to go and dig up some of my old movies on the thing.

The movie that captures it accurately is "victory at entebbe" it had Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor. Heroism at its finest. Movies like "Delta Force" were modeled in honour of the rescue. They even used israeli made Uzi's
Re: 4th July 1976: The Raid On Entebbe by Nobody: 8:51am On Jul 05, 2013

1 Like

Re: 4th July 1976: The Raid On Entebbe by jayflex: 9:13am On Jul 05, 2013
Crassus:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgKqV3zbJjo&list=PLD7867A202B37B064

there it is

Thanks Crassus. I have to digest this. Back in a bit.
Re: 4th July 1976: The Raid On Entebbe by jayflex: 3:28pm On Jul 05, 2013
I can imagine the relief at being snatched from the jaws of death

(1) (Reply)

Why Is Saudi Arabia Getting So Bold? / Donald Trump Has Updated His Twitter Handle / Which Country Does Israel Fear The Most And Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.