Stats: 3,153,660 members, 7,820,326 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:08 PM

Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State (14994 Views)

Describe Nelson Mandela In One Word? / Nelson Mandela Is Dead / Nelson Mandela In Hospital With Lung Infection (2) (3) (4)

Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by sukods55: 9:41am On Jul 05, 2013
Doctors treating Nelson Mandela have said the anti-apartheid icon was in a "permanent vegetative state" and advised his family to turn off his life support machine a week ago, according to court documents obtained by the AFP news agency.

"He is in a permanent vegetative state and is assisted in breathing by a life support machine," said the court filing dated June 26.

"Rather than prolonging his suffering, the Mandela family is exploring this option as a very real probability," read a filing from the family's lawyer, relating to a dispute over the final resting place of South Africa's first democractically elected black president.

Since the document was written, the government, family members and people visiting Mandela have reported his condition has improved.

"He is clearly a very ill man, but he was conscious and he tried to move his mouth and eyes when I talked to him," Denis Goldberg, one of the men who was convicted with Mandela, told AFP after visiting him on Monday.

"He is definitely not unconscious," he said adding that "he was aware of who I was."

Goldberg said he was asked by Mandela's wife Graca Machel to pay him a visit "just to give him mental stimulation".

President Jacob Zuma's spokesman Mac Maharaj refused to comment on the documents.

"We don't have a comment on that," Maharaj told AFP, citing doctor-patient confidentiality.

"We have indicated from our point of view that based on the doctors' report the condition of the former president is critical but stable at this stage."

Mandela's wife earlier on Thursday said that while occasionally the former president has been uncomfortable during his nearly one month hospital stay, he has seldom been in pain.

"Now we are about 25 days we have been in hospital," Machel said, giving thanks for the outpouring of well wishes from around the world for the Nobel peace laureate.

"Although Madiba sometimes may be uncomfortable, very few times he is in pain," she said.

The former president, who turns 95 later this month, was rushed to hospital on June 8 with a recurring lung infection.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/africa/2013/07/20137417215254718.html
http://www.mydailynewswatchng.com/2013/07/05/let-mandela-die-doctors-beg-court/
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by musiwa29: 10:24am On Jul 05, 2013
I hope all is well with his soul. He fought the good fight. And i how he get better.
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by wellmax(m): 10:24am On Jul 05, 2013
I wish him well...
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by Debbielicious1(f): 10:24am On Jul 05, 2013
Still praying he recovers....
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by Lordave: 10:26am On Jul 05, 2013
What are you people doing here??
Una never hear say dem don hack Nig govt?

Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by philusaau(f): 10:26am On Jul 05, 2013
GET WELL SOON NELSON MADELA
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by Akshow: 10:26am On Jul 05, 2013
make them let this man rest na.
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by ZURYZEST(m): 10:26am On Jul 05, 2013
don't know what to say, God let your will be done on him (madiba)
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by Nobody: 10:26am On Jul 05, 2013
I'd understand if it was a child. I'd have hope. At age 94, it's time to put things into perspective. He's had a long and fulfilled life. It's time to say goodbye. I don't know how many 94 year olds want to remain on life support, but I'd think the number is small.

Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by Nobody: 10:27am On Jul 05, 2013
Isn't this the end or am I being ignorant ?

Someone please correct me .
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by Henrypraise: 10:27am On Jul 05, 2013
I wish him well n quick recovery otherwise safe passage to d land of his ancestors.
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by Lbrasi: 10:29am On Jul 05, 2013
wish u well Sir.
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by Lordave: 10:30am On Jul 05, 2013
stone-mind:
omg i cnt believe i'm 2nd to comment::::: get well soon mandella
sipping Alomo under hot sun is very dangerous to your health.
Find one mango tree relax under it

Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by CertifiedFreak(m): 10:30am On Jul 05, 2013
Speedy recovery for him
*aside*....... Why not feed him more vegetables Could aid , mar or jez keep him in stasis
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by Beaf1: 10:31am On Jul 05, 2013
He is still fighting death.
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 05, 2013
Wish u well tata cry

Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by Katier00(f): 10:31am On Jul 05, 2013
Just let him go instead of prolonging his suffering and pains. He has come of age let him rest, lord have mercy on ur son. Mary pray for us sinners now and the hour of our death. Amen
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by Nobody: 10:32am On Jul 05, 2013
LIE>
how can a dead man talk
no be today way our hero MANDELA die
abi una dey forget watin happen to Yaradua

Africans are all the same
they play politic with everything

From their birthday to their death-day

Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by MAYOWAAK: 10:38am On Jul 05, 2013
He came,he saw and he has certainly conquered.
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by 4reigningqueen: 10:39am On Jul 05, 2013
stop praying for him,let hhim go and rest.he has tried.
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by Fogman(m): 10:42am On Jul 05, 2013
Lordave: What are you people doing here??
Una never hear say dem don hack Nig govt?

And so?
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by brownlord: 10:45am On Jul 05, 2013
Which one be "vegetable state" agaain now, abeg any native doctor in the houz fit explain wetin that one mean?

Abeg make una leave this man make e rest, he don try wella

Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by ochukoccna: 10:45am On Jul 05, 2013
All the best to you Madiba
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by NwaTeacher1: 10:48am On Jul 05, 2013
Mandiba is dead already
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by NDSMART(m): 10:53am On Jul 05, 2013
4reigningqueen: stop praying for him,let hhim go and rest.he has tried.

The man av tried nah.... jst turn off the machine and inject him with...... let him rest for christ sake..... His suffering is too much
Re: Nelson Mandela In Permanent Vegetative State by Lordave: 10:54am On Jul 05, 2013
Fogman:

And so?
ok sorry you be gay. Sorry no vex.

Could Russia Be Putin's Afghanistan? / Obama Seeks Congress Approval To Strike Syria / Massive Fire At Kenya's International Airport