Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,434 members, 7,823,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:21 PM

Why Good People Do Bad Things - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Good People Do Bad Things (1013 Views)

10 Bad Things Nigerian Christian Youths Do In Church / More Rude Things People Do In Church / Rude Things People Do In Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Good People Do Bad Things by huxley(m): 11:09am On May 17, 2008
Bad people will do bad things, good people will do good things; But for good people to do bad things, it takes religion. Stephen Weinberg

(And for bad people to do good things, it takes religion)

What do you think?
Re: Why Good People Do Bad Things by Cayon(f): 1:39pm On May 17, 2008
We are all humans and we are not perfect,. Isn't it wonderful that God is a forgiving God? That's why when we make mistakes (do bad things) we can ask for forgiveness. However, God is not mocked, for what we sow is what we shall reap.
Re: Why Good People Do Bad Things by olabowale(m): 1:48pm On May 17, 2008
@Cayon: There are unforgiveable sins. One of them is having partnership with God. Don't die unless you bleed yourself off that type of Multiple god worship. There is not Trinity in True God. God is but a Single God.
Re: Why Good People Do Bad Things by Cayon(f): 2:14pm On May 17, 2008
olabowale:

@Cayon: There are unforgiveable sins. One of them is having partnership with God.
olabowale:  I am lost in translation here, you may have to break it down for me.  I have never heard of unforgiveable sins.  You see, according to my teachings, In God's, eyes "All sins are sins, none greater than the others. 
The Human part of us may think that taking a man's life is a greater sin than someone stealing from the bank.  In God eyes, we both have sinned, none greater than the other. so if we ask God to forgive us our sins - He is going to forgive us (killer/robber)of our sins. wink
Re: Why Good People Do Bad Things by olabowale(m): 2:34pm On May 17, 2008
@Cayon: From your Bible, a mere lust for a moment without ever carrying it out is a sin, right? A passing though of doing evil, but one struggle against ever doing it is sin, too, right?

Now killing a person (unjustly), robbing a people of their possession (Bank robbers, or others), worshipping of idols and multihead god(s) like in Trinity, are also sins. I am sure that you will disagree with my statement about Trinity, yet it is setting up partnership with God and or worshipping many God.

Will this lust or thinking about something bad without ever doing it, if only it was just for a moment of thought, are these equal to killing innocent souls? Will a person not be unforgiven for having a thought that one struggled against? Will a person go to Hellfire for that? Will a person who killed an innocent soul and never seek forgiveness and dies in that condition will not be punished?

My dear Cayon, open the eye of your soul.
Re: Why Good People Do Bad Things by Cayon(f): 12:48am On May 19, 2008
olabowale:

@Cayon: My dear Cayon, open the eye of your soul.
Re the above: Thanks for the laugh grin grin
Re: Why Good People Do Bad Things by Nobody: 12:29pm On May 20, 2008
Stalin was a good atheist who killed over 20 million people. cheesy cheesy

All hail good atheism!!!!!
Re: Why Good People Do Bad Things by naijacutee(f): 11:08am On May 23, 2008
@ topic. Good people do bad things because: -
1. Everyone has a default knowledge of what "good" is (Everyone from Jack the Ripper, to the cannibal tribes to the Pope.). If we didn't know what "good" was, then how can we tell that good is good and bad is bad?
2. Some try harder than others to meet this standard of "good". (I think these are the people you refer to as "good people"wink. . .
3. But no one ever really attains this standard - (Not even "good people"wink. Hence, "good people" doing "bad things". 
Re: Why Good People Do Bad Things by niman(m): 10:07pm On May 24, 2008
right,

(1) (Reply)

15 Evolutionary Gems / The One Way And The Only Way: Proves! / Why Does Christians Disturb Everyone With Blasting Music In The Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.