Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,467 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:05 AM

All King Kanu As Portsmouth Lift Fa Cup - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / All King Kanu As Portsmouth Lift Fa Cup (878 Views)

Portsmouth To Punish Nwankwo Kanu For Continued Absence / Premier League: Portsmouth (0) Vs Manchester United (1): 25 August, 8pm / Portsmouth Vs Manchester United In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1)

All King Kanu As Portsmouth Lift Fa Cup by Nobody: 9:39pm On May 17, 2008
LONDON, May 17 (Reuters) - Nwankwo Kanu’s first taste of the FA Cup was to be cast as an unsporting villain who stained a proud tradition of sportsmanship but he left Wembley on Saturday hailing Portsmouth’s win as the best moment of his life.

For a man who has graced the World Cup, won Olympic gold for his country Nigeria, was twice voted African player of the year, who has lifted the Champions League, UEFA Cup, English and Dutch league titles and two previous FA Cups, that was some claim.

“This is the best moment of my life,” the 31-year-old told Sky Sports after his 37th-minute goal beat Cardiff City 1-0. “I started the game and I won the Cup for Portsmouth. I have felt nothing like this.”

Things were very different nine years ago when the Nigerian, who won the Champions League with Ajax Amsterdam in 1995, made his Arsenal debut in an FA Cup fifth-round game against Sheffield United.

Late in the game he collected a throw meant to return possession after the ball had been put out to allow an injured player to be treated. Instead he ran on and crossed for Marc Overmars to score what proved the winning goal.

Uproar ensued, Kanu was vilified and the game was replayed with Arsenal winning again before they eventually bowed out in a classic semi-final against Manchester United.

He had better experience of the competition three years later when he came on for the last 10 minutes of a 2-0 final win over Chelsea to complete a domestic double. He got another winner’s medal as an unused substitute in 2003.

Kanu left Highbury in 2004 to join West Bromwich Albion before moving to Portsmouth in 2006 and though he was no longer the dazzling teenager who blasted onto the scene 15 years ago, his class has never been far below the surface.

“When I got him on a free everyone thought I was mad but he has been great for us,” said manager Harry Redknapp.

A unique player who combined eye-defying control with the gangly approach of a hungover Sunday league player, he could leave fans and team mates amazed and bemused in equal measure.

One moment early in Saturday’s final summed up his contrasting talents as he took one sublime touch on the turn to ghost past Dutch centre back Glenn Loovens and another to leave goalkeeper Peter Enckelman clutching air.

With the Portsmouth fans set to acclaim the goal, Kanu seemed to lose his concentration and instead of rolling the ball into the empty net, clipped it against a post.

Later in the half though he made amends as Enckelman spilled John Utaka’s low cross and Kanu instantly reacted to guide the ball into the net for the only goal.

Having also scored the goal that beat West Bromwich Albion in the semi-finals it was no surprise that he got a deafening standing ovation when he was replaced eight minutes from time.

“They call me ‘King’, I have to deliver and hopefully I did,” he said.

“Portsmouth is not one of the four big clubs, no-one could believe we were going to do it and we did it,” he said, before adding that he hoped to stay with the south coast club as they prepare for their first taste of European soccer.

“I hope the fans, Harry (Redknapp), everyone at the club will remember this day and they are going to give me a contract.” (Editing by Justin Palmer)
Re: All King Kanu As Portsmouth Lift Fa Cup by africash(m): 2:30am On May 18, 2008
Bros i enjoyed your post match review, you understand the game, you dont just watch football, am really impress. As for king kanu he has finally confirmed that he is the most successful player to come out of nigeria,wining F.A cup with arsenal is no news but when you achieve such feat with a club that had not won any major trophy in its 110-year history makes papilo the king of soccer, to me is a nigeria made victory as Utaka initiated the move that resulted in the goal.i say much about football at my blog,i hope you join me.http://arsenalbench..com.

(1)

Amodu's Salary Is The Lowest Amongst All The World Cup Coaches / Russia To Host 2018 Fifa World Cup! / RD MATEO, Now Full Time Manager At Chelsea...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.