Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,095 members, 7,863,836 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 07:23 AM

Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz (2002 Views)

We Will Write Your Resignation Letter, Nigerians Abroad Tell Saraki / Stop Sending Your Deportees To Nigeria – ​FG Warns ECOWAS Member States / Gov Ambode Asks Nigerians Abroad To Return. . .Lagosians Reply (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 3:46am On Jul 08, 2013
fiscalcliff: So because a tsetse fly is perched on my scrotum,I should use a sledge hammer to kill it
That a very radical but ill thought out idea we have here
Name was for this op O!

are you comparing Nigeria's problem to the size of a fly? its more like a Rhino...even a sledge hammer wont work.....its

not a radical idea....do you have ur own ideas? at least am bringing something to the table....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by mensdept: 4:29am On Jul 08, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
Nigerians abroad contribute a large chunk of money to Nigeria's GDP...to the tune of billions per year. I believe if

Nigerians abroad should stop coming home..this will give the Nigerian government more incentive to eradicate corruption

and provide stable electricity..because a large part of the GDP will be cut.

The money that Nigerians have been sending home has made most Nigerians lazy and somewhat comfortable in their

situation. Most Nigerians have become dependent on this money...and lost their sense of urgency to build a better nation

for the future. Nigeria is due for a change from the status quo..this is the best way Nigerians abroad can contribute to

that change...cut off all funds and aid to Nigerians back home...ABI?

I agree with you 100% and everyone that I've spoken to has long been saying this thing but also saying let's be honest with ourselves.

Are Nigerians going to do this? Of course not. Are Nigerians going to tell all the pastors scattered everywhere that we dont need their service (TB Joshua, Adeboye, etc). No!

Are Nigerians going to become like Egyptians and chase out thugs from office? No!

Are Nigerians going to demand that they have their own National Airline to take them to and fro their country or else they wont come back. No!

Are Nigerians going to ask for the trial of coup plotters like Buhari and IBB to stand trial for mismanaging funds, including former NFF officials that also mismanaged funds. No!

Instead they will AUTOMATICALLY become defensive when you are pushing them to do what almost everyone wey get sense has done at least once in their history. Anything that pushes them out of their comfort zone will usually get the responses you get, which just are attempts to scrutinize the objective of nation building and tap out of the ring.

I'd take it a step further and say the Western nations should stop granting Nigerians visa to come and give birth to children in countries like US.

In fact that's whats happening now because those mothers and their husbands know that being a Nigerian is worthless and getting American PALE is the all in all.

Imagine that.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 7:35am On Jul 08, 2013
OP Has a point.

Nigerians are too docile. That is why they are taking all the nonsense from the govt.

Perhaps increased hardship will force the poor masses to get onto the streets and demonstrate.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by redcliff: 9:30am On Jul 08, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

Well...its a suggestion and it could quite possibly work....maybe 3 months ago i sent money to Nigeria...but i sent money to Africa every month...even twice a month....

[size=14pt]you see, you cant stop sending money. Its like saying I should stop paying for my light bills because i want the power company to improve its efficiency performance and that an official in the power company is squandering the money and they dont deserve it. I think there are better ways to solving these types of issues. [/size][size=8pt][/size]
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by fiscalcliff: 9:37am On Jul 08, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

are you comparing Nigeria's problem to the size of a fly? its more like a Rhino...even a sledge hammer wont work.....its

not a radical idea....do you have ur own ideas? at least am bringing something to the table....
I'm not comparing nothing
I'm just saying proffering such a radical solution is akin to inflicting self injury as many many families and people depend on this foreign inflows
Fela sang about the docility of Nigerians long ago
Until we all imbibe a spirit of sacrifice and shun our penchant for materialism & filthy lucre e.g as Gani Fawehinmi did we will continue to moan
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by thoth: 1:31am On Jul 09, 2013
You all should know first that Africans and most especially Nigerians are not aligned with their own culture, they look up to the west and Europe to validate what they consider to be civil and appropriate.
Though majority of you may not understand how the fact above affects our adaptive response(how we solve our immediate problems) i will still go on to say that:

1: If their is a drop in income Nigerians will not revolt rather they will turn against each other in crimes and rituals.
2: it will give more power to the politicians who will become lords in their own rights because of the money they have.
3; it will be very hard to organize a revolution since only money can move the people, they will consider you talking trash when you are not talking about how to go and make or steal money.
4: Education will drop dramatically and regards to making money will take more priority, people will even start mocking the ones going to school with statements like "after your PHD what can you show for it ?" and as General Buhari properly stated..Once you removed quality education from the people you have finished them.
5: If by any chance the opportunity rises for a revolution, it will meet a huge opposition from the masses whom pays allegiance to the corrupt politicians because their livelihood depends on them therefore you the masses are attacking their source of livelihood. besides it is easy to disperse any group by just sharing money.

A study of actions many Governors took during the Fuel Hike riot will help you people understand this phenomenon more.
A study of the reaction of the south easterners during the fuel hike demonstrations will further elucidate the effects of 2,3 and 5.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 2:22am On Jul 09, 2013
How depressing! sad
Also do not forget the corrupt govt's other secret weapon that it used to disperse the stubborn fuel hike demos in Kano - Boko Haram!
thoth: You all should know first that Africans and most especially Nigerians are not aligned with their own culture, they look up to the west and Europe to validate what they consider to be civil and appropriate.
Though majority of you may not understand how the fact above affects our adaptive response(how we solve our immediate problems) i will still go on to say that:

1: If their is a drop in income Nigerians will not revolt rather they will turn against each other in crimes and rituals.
2: it will give more power to the politicians who will become lords in their own rights because of the money they have.
3; it will be very hard to organize a revolution since only money can move the people, they will consider you talking trash when you are not talking about how to go and make or steal money.
4: Education will drop dramatically and regards to making money will take more priority, people will even start mocking the ones going to school with statements like "after your PHD what can you show for it ?" and as General Buhari properly stated..Once you removed quality education from the people you have finished them.
5: If by any chance the opportunity rises for a revolution, it will meet a huge opposition from the masses whom pays allegiance to the corrupt politicians because their livelihood depends on them therefore you the masses are attacking their source of livelihood. besides it is easy to disperse any group by just sharing money.

A study of actions many Governors took during the Fuel Hike riot will help you people understand this phenomenon more.
A study of the reaction of the south easterners during the fuel hike demonstrations will further elucidate the effects of 2,3 and 5.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by mensdept: 2:29am On Jul 09, 2013
Stopping the flow of cash to Nigeria from people abroad, along with stopping Nigerians from going abroad, either for medical checkup like David Mark does, or to give birth to kids for American Pale, will force more people into desperate actions.

When people start dying from common sicknesses that even Vietnam can cure, or that they cant run with their family to US during strike, they will have no choice but to be serious about nation building.

Its happened everywhere else and will happen here.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by thoth: 3:26am On Jul 09, 2013
GenBuhari: How depressing! sad
Also do not forget the corrupt govt's other secret weapon that it used to disperse the stubborn fuel hike demos in Kano - Boko Haram!

I thought about the situation whereby such terror tactics would be used as an excuse to discourage people coming together as crowds, but then i have had some experiences to believe that people when in a crowd does not think rationally as when they are just the individual.
even firing into crowds will not disperse people once they are together.
Have you watched the video of how Hugo Chavez was overthrown by the Americans and how he was reinstated. it is an emotional video and also a very educating one if you are interested in such things like crowd psychology.

long footage of numerous Egyptian uprising would also show you that such things does not work. it would work in nigeria though due to the ignorance of our people.
Re: Nigerians Abroad Should Stop Traveling Home And Should Stop Sending Money Becuz by Nobody: 3:53am On Jul 09, 2013
My idea is not for anyone to starve to death or die of sickness but to increase the sense of urgency to fix Nigerias

problems...but there will be some casualties...its natural.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" / BMW Scandal: Cocharis Car Dealership Gave Stella N112Mil Kickback / The Unethical Selection Of The New Uniabuja VC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.