Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,296 members, 7,815,518 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:49 PM

Can One Become An Oba Even If You Are Not From A Royal Family In Yoruba Land? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Can One Become An Oba Even If You Are Not From A Royal Family In Yoruba Land? (664 Views)

Ooni Of Ife And His Olori At A Royal Dinner / Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / Female Regents In Yoruba Land. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can One Become An Oba Even If You Are Not From A Royal Family In Yoruba Land? by mayorme(m): 7:18am On Jul 08, 2013
Just a quick question my fellow nairalanders that loves culture. I have a friend that wishes to become a king from where he is from, but am not too sure of the possibility of that happening.
I'll appreciate your contributions and examples of Yoruba kings that were not from a royal family.
Thanks guys
Re: Can One Become An Oba Even If You Are Not From A Royal Family In Yoruba Land? by Nobody: 7:25am On Jul 08, 2013
mayorme: Just a quick question my fellow nairalanders that loves culture. I have a friend that wishes to become a king from where he is from, but am not too sure of the possibility of that happening.
I'll appreciate your contributions and examples of Yoruba kings that were not from a royal family.
Thanks guys

He might just be a king if he is stupendously rich that he can bribe people with cash and gifts that they can't refuse.

But you might just hear one day he is deposed through the court. Or is his father's house is in a royal compound? In yoruba land, it starts there.
Re: Can One Become An Oba Even If You Are Not From A Royal Family In Yoruba Land? by mayorme(m): 7:42am On Jul 08, 2013
I know there's high possibility if he can bribe his way through. No he's not from a royal compound either.
Re: Can One Become An Oba Even If You Are Not From A Royal Family In Yoruba Land? by tpia5: 8:30am On Jul 08, 2013
which foreigner is trying to become an oba?

i thought you people said you dont like yorubas, so why are you attempting to become influential there.
Re: Can One Become An Oba Even If You Are Not From A Royal Family In Yoruba Land? by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 08, 2013
mayorme: I know there's high possibility if he can bribe his way through. No he's not from a royal compound either.

Then he will be deposed one day.

Money wasted be that.
Re: Can One Become An Oba Even If You Are Not From A Royal Family In Yoruba Land? by Nobody: 7:57pm On Jul 09, 2013
His reign would be filled with troubles and violence and he would be eventually dethroned. its not worth it.
Re: Can One Become An Oba Even If You Are Not From A Royal Family In Yoruba Land? by tpia5: 2:41am On Jul 10, 2013
Why are all the current obas being dethroned one after the other?
Re: Can One Become An Oba Even If You Are Not From A Royal Family In Yoruba Land? by Mynd44: 3:37am On Jul 11, 2013
Why would anyone want to throw money away? If he is so concerned, he should use the bribe money to contest for Local government chairman or councillor.
Re: Can One Become An Oba Even If You Are Not From A Royal Family In Yoruba Land? by k2039: 4:14am On Jul 11, 2013
kingphemy:

He might just be a king if he is stupendously rich that he can bribe people with cash and gifts that they can't refuse.

But you might just hear one day he is deposed through the court. Or is his father's house is in a royal compound? In yoruba land, it starts there.
I endorse this, besides you user id says a lot about your post.
Re: Can One Become An Oba Even If You Are Not From A Royal Family In Yoruba Land? by Nobody: 10:02am On Jul 14, 2013
k2039:
I endorse this, besides you user id says a lot about your post.

Hmmmmm...Am no king o.

But I do came from a lineage of kings, from both sides.

(1) (Reply)

I Am Not Wonderwoman! / Double Dipping / Unbelievable Artwork Influenced By Nature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.