Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,306 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:14 AM

Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years (9458 Views)

Car Smashed By A Tree In A Pay Park, Who Bears The Loss? Your Opinion / Pictures Of A Car Made In Calabar / BMW Now Wants Us To Park Our Cars Via Smartwatch (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by paix(m): 5:00pm On Jul 10, 2013
Nwa Teacher: I park my Ml 320 SUV for 3years now since i'm not in d country to use it. Although i romove all the four tyres and hang it with a stone in my car garage. But i didn't remove the battery and the car hasn't start to warm since dat last 3 years. I want to know how bad is it to the car
If you had sold the car and invested the money for 3 years you should be thinking of buying a newer version of the car by now.
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Numerouuuno: 5:10pm On Jul 10, 2013
@Siena,I'm always amazed at your knoeledge about cars!seriously!more grease to your elbow.
That's why in everything we do,we should do/know it well!!
@exxel,i don't get your point at all.
Why shouldn't it be on front page,I'm sure you would have gained from siena' info in response to the questions. so be cool next time,okay?
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by seye4nii(f): 5:12pm On Jul 10, 2013
good knowledge,,,, tanks sienna
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by dabrake(m): 5:20pm On Jul 10, 2013
exxell: Please, how is this suppossed to make front page? Oga Siena, there are other useful threads in the car section worthy of the front page. When the guy bought the car, did he contact Nairalanders? Nay! When he was parking the car, did he contact Nairalanders? Nay! Why then will he contact us after three years to know if it is proper or not? I dont see any logic in that. Your answer to the guy should have been the main topic. I know most people will come here to insult me now... But am already with my magic wand in front of my laptop. Am watching comments closely....
ah ah??!!!! abi OP knack your wife kpekus? which kain vexing come be this one?
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by NwaTeacher1: 5:26pm On Jul 10, 2013
@ Siena tanx alot. U have saved me from the extortion of nigerian mechanics. I was budgeting 150k 4 d servicing of d car when i'm back but ur post has educate me how to save the money. Keep it up. God must surely reward you
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by timilehing(m): 6:19pm On Jul 10, 2013
Experience is he best teacher yet known. When u come back, you'll know if its a good isea to do so or not!
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by mistiff007(m): 7:12pm On Jul 10, 2013
You need to spray the engine bay with pesticides..Rats/Rodents love chewing electrical wires over time. ;

1 Like

Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by PStacks(m): 7:19pm On Jul 10, 2013
Mechanics plenty for nairaland oo.. Chai..
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Nobody: 8:28pm On Jul 10, 2013
Sienaaaa! I hereby nominate you for Hon. Minister for Transport!!! I di too much!!!!! grin
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jul 10, 2013
paix: If you had sold the car and invested the money for 3 years you should be thinking of buying a newer version of the car by now.
invest it in what exactly?
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by janykute: 9:12pm On Jul 10, 2013
mistiff007: You need to spray the engine bay with pesticides..Rats/Rodents love chewing electrical wires over time. ;
This is very important,i had a terrible experience when i parked my car for just 8 months,Rats nearly finished the whole electrical wires in the car
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by justbelieve: 10:29pm On Jul 10, 2013
That is inproper
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by smartg(m): 2:17am On Jul 11, 2013
Siena: A car can be laid up unused for even 10 years, as long as correct procedures are followed.

01) Disconnect battery.
02) Do an oil and filter change.
03) Have the ATF and filter changed (automatics only).
04) Remove the spark plugs, and squirt clean engine oil down the bores, then replace the plugs loosely. You'll need to remove the plugs and crank the engine for at least 10 seconds, before refitting the plugs when you're ready to use the car again.
05) Take the weight off the wheels, by supporting the frame on axle stands. Tyres can remain fitted.
06) Make sure the gas tank is full. This prevents tank from rusting from the inside out.
07) Put a good fuel additive in the tank, and run it through the system. This prevents the fuel pump seizing.
08) Make sure the cooling system is charged with a fresh water / coolant mix to minimise internal corrosion.
09) Carry out a brake fluid change before laying the car up.
10) Carry out a clutch fluid change before laying up (hydraulic clutch only).
11) Make sure the car is in a place where it can breathe. Car covers are a bad idea long term, as condensation and mould will form inside the car, and the paintwork will suffer from abrasion (windy periods).
12) Park the car in an open garage / carport. This ensures the car is adequately ventilated. If possible, vent the interior by leaving a window or two partially open, at least once every two weeks.
13) Grease door, boot and bonnet hinges, as well as sunroof tracks (as applicable).
14) If practical, spray the entire exterior with a film of WD-40 or other light oil. This will reduce the chances of external corrosion.
15) Wash the wheel arches thoroughly, to remove dried earth. Once clean and dry, smear a gererous layer of multi-purpose grease in these arches, paying particular attention to the arch lips.
16) Leave some bags of silica gel inside the car. This will absorb moisture, and prevent your interior - leather, fabric, carpets, steering wheel, roof lining etc from going mouldy.

This might seem a lot, but this is the best way to keep your car in good shape during long periods of inactivity. All the above will need to be reversed, and depending on how long you leave the car, the gas would have gone off, and will need draining, and refilling with fresh gas. It might run on the old gas, but it'll be difficult to start, and have zero knock resistance.

Good luck!
nice post from a real car guru.
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by vitality22(m): 9:04am On Jul 11, 2013
Siena: A car can be laid up unused for even 10 years, as long as correct procedures are followed.

01) Disconnect battery.
02) Do an oil and filter change.
03) Have the ATF and filter changed (automatics only).
04) Remove the spark plugs, and squirt clean engine oil down the bores, then replace the plugs loosely. You'll need to remove the plugs and crank the engine for at least 10 seconds, before refitting the plugs when you're ready to use the car again.
05) Take the weight off the wheels, by supporting the frame on axle stands. Tyres can remain fitted.
06) Make sure the gas tank is full. This prevents tank from rusting from the inside out.
07) Put a good fuel additive in the tank, and run it through the system. This prevents the fuel pump seizing.
08) Make sure the cooling system is charged with a fresh water / coolant mix to minimise internal corrosion.
09) Carry out a brake fluid change before laying the car up.
10) Carry out a clutch fluid change before laying up (hydraulic clutch only).
11) Make sure the car is in a place where it can breathe. Car covers are a bad idea long term, as condensation and mould will form inside the car, and the paintwork will suffer from abrasion (windy periods).
12) Park the car in an open garage / carport. This ensures the car is adequately ventilated. If possible, vent the interior by leaving a window or two partially open, at least once every two weeks.
13) Grease door, boot and bonnet hinges, as well as sunroof tracks (as applicable).
14) If practical, spray the entire exterior with a film of WD-40 or other light oil. This will reduce the chances of external corrosion.
15) Wash the wheel arches thoroughly, to remove dried earth. Once clean and dry, smear a gererous layer of multi-purpose grease in these arches, paying particular attention to the arch lips.
16) Leave some bags of silica gel inside the car. This will absorb moisture, and prevent your interior - leather, fabric, carpets, steering wheel, roof lining etc from going mouldy.

This might seem a lot, but this is the best way to keep your car in good shape during long periods of inactivity. All the above will need to be reversed, and depending on how long you leave the car, the gas would have gone off, and will need draining, and refilling with fresh gas. It might run on the old gas, but it'll be difficult to start, and have zero knock resistance.

Good luck!
Wao, its so educative, informative and really refreshing. That was a good one there
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by cosify: 12:50pm On Jul 11, 2013
Thank God that Siena has given u what seems like an experts perspective. I wanted to tell u to seek expert's counsel because i know almost nothing about d purchase,use and maintenance of cars.
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by OperaMini1(m): 4:54pm On Jul 11, 2013
My own car, an EOD would be parked for only a week, and the back tyre would no longer roll. This had happened thrice this year, thus my mechanic has to come and loose the pads and fix it back for it to come back to life. What would be the cause of this?
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by ZIMDRILL(m): 5:01pm On Jul 11, 2013
Opera Mini: My own car, an EOD would be parked for only a week, and the back tyre would no longer roll. This had happened thrice this year, thus my mechanic has to come and loose the pads and fix it back for it to come back to life. What would be the cause of this?

that normal

a reaction to weather

rust being between the pad and disk
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jul 11, 2013
Opera Mini: My own car, an EOD would be parked for only a week, and the back tyre would no longer roll. This had happened thrice this year, thus my mechanic has to come and loose the pads and fix it back for it to come back to life. What would be the cause of this?

That's something I forgot to address earlier. When a car is laid up for an extended period of time, it's wise to leace the handbrake off. Otherwise it can seize up, and be a pain to free off.

Simply engage P on automatics, or 1st on manuals.
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by OperaMini1(m): 8:21am On Jul 12, 2013
Siena:

That's something I forgot to address earlier. When a car is laid up for an extended period of time, it's wise to leace the handbrake off. Otherwise it can seize up, and be a pain to free off.

Simply engage P on automatics, or 1st on manuals.

Fine i will do just that, and get back to you after another week.
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by earthrealm(m): 3:48pm On Jul 12, 2013
gbam thread closed!!!
the DON has spoken!!!!

no need for jara
though I would hv adviced the poster to hv sold the car b4 travelling.if it was possible for him to do so...3yrs is a long long time...the car wudnt be trendy anymore............unless it was the latest model ml 3yrs ago.....[I doubt]
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by paix(m): 1:10pm On Jul 13, 2013
9jadelta: invest it in what exactly?
Investment is all about risk taking, calculated risk. Make sure you take into account all the risks involved in the risks you're about to take so you don't lose everything you've laboured to acquire.
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by albsimeon(m): 1:03pm On Jul 14, 2013
Information is never old until it is read by the last person(and who?) I found it very very useful as a learner, so would many after me. Those greedy elements who want it reserved for them only should keep to themselves the little they know- we don't need it. The empty barrel makes the loudest noise. Thank you.
Re: Is It Proper To Park A Car For 3years by kingschild123(m): 3:08pm On Jul 14, 2013
The cars would need to be driven more
often than every 3-4 months. More like every
3-4 weeks.
I'd say store for one year, but no longer. Two
years is too long

(1) (2) (Reply)

Road Trip Through Interesting Nigeria (with pictures)! / Domestic Production Of Vehicles Hit 45,000 Units Per Annum / VIO In Lagos Impounded His Car Over Fake Drivers License

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.