Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,464 members, 7,836,833 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 01:20 PM

July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife (63457 Views)

Remembering The Lost Comrades- OAU July 10 Cult Attack / 1999 CULT ATTACK ON OAU - What Really Happened!!! / Oau Ile Ife 2009/2010 Admission List! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by seyi360(m): 9:54pm On Jul 10, 2013
cogitoErgo:
hmmm, I actually did not hear of any machete cut on Africa! but the close range shot definitly will have his blood splatered all over and his bed was definitly deeply soaked in his blood, infact those who saw his body immediatly after the shooting said his face was completly unrecognisable!
Axes were used on every one that was killed, as it was d signature of a "" attack.

1 Like

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by fullblast(m): 10:00pm On Jul 10, 2013
longjon: Was in FUTA at the time. Those guys left quite a legacy. I also remember that medical student SUG presido who stayed out of school for some years due to problem with authorities. What's his name again ?
. Is it Antony Fashayo or Dr 3As?
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Tolexander: 10:09pm On Jul 10, 2013
scanthecar: I still remember one of the posters of the student union concerning an event to honour them that ended with "Afrika and the rest must not die in vain, their blood must water the tree of freedom". I went home on one occasion the repeated the quotation to my dad who got confused because it is the blood of "tyrants" that waters the tree of freedom and not heros - Student union and their wrong usage of english language in those days (Tony fash - "if something is not wrong with Lamikanra; Lamikanra must be wrong with something"wink. Tony fashayo was rusticated from year 5 medical school OAU when I was in 100 level (1995) and readmitted at my convocation 6 years later. Great Ife!!!
i guess he was talking to the great pharmaceutical microbiologist, Prof. Lamikanra of the faculty of pharmacy? The man that never believed any of us know anything. Sometime he said ' he has forgotten more than we know'.

1 Like

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by taiwo3(m): 10:10pm On Jul 10, 2013
Sadly the wale omole Headed ICPC. How wil such person fight corruption, Naija sha
Tolexander: On the day of their burial, i was in lagere, ife, and saw how students were packed in buses and cars cursing wale omole and the killers from OAUTHC to the campus via the sabo-lagere road.

May their souls rest in peace.

July 10 is indeed an unforgettable day in the history of OAU.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by sportfeva(m): 10:43pm On Jul 10, 2013
The OAU 5 will forever remain a martyr. The ugly incident made student to be determine NEVER to indulge in any violence activities on campus. "Who born you well to fight in the hall." I am an Awoite. I started in blk2, blk 6(via "squating"-pt 2&3) and finalist in blk 8 last floor SU floor. Even though if students want to fight and they are influencing them, they will still never fight because they know the consequence. No illegal group meeting, what are you doing with knife or dangerous weapon and don't dare scare someone with such things like gun etc or even act playfully, you will regret you came to Ife. Diamond was the president i met and they instill the story of Afrika & co into our heart, which go on and on.
They will forever be remembered
Long live Great Ife.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Gunzilla(m): 10:47pm On Jul 10, 2013
seyi360: Axes were used on every one that was killed, as it was d signature of a "" attack.

Mr Seyi,there was no axe used on Afrika.It was a gunshot to the head.Poor dude was sleeping and didnt even know what hit him.Any other version of the story is mere hearsay...
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by premium1: 10:48pm On Jul 10, 2013
Yea,rember dat name well,Afrika.I was veRy young den,in pry 5 buh my eldeR broda wz in OAU and he knew †ђξ Afrika guy well.RembeR he rushed down home †ђξ followin day cryin and he kept shoutin'Afrika,Afrika,guess dey were coursemates and he sed †ђξ guy wz strictly Afrikan.So he toldd us †ђξ whole sad incideent @ home.So I rember †ђξ sad nite vividly courtesy by elder broda who schooled in OAU.Afrika et al rest in peace!

1 Like

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Shaolinbaba(m): 10:52pm On Jul 10, 2013
July 10 will remain evergreen in the calendar of Great Ife.For those of us that were around then,it can never be erased from our memory.It was a day of commotion starting with the shooting in Awo cafe,when the world gyration was on.The world chief Odunfa(popularly called Duffy) narrowly escaped the gun shot.But,the guy in psychology 300 Level,i have forgotten the name wasn't that lucky,as he was murdered.Yemi Ajiteru(Ajita),an extral year student of fine art wasn't lucky, as he was gunned down in his sleep at the corridor of the world chief & Legacy's room.Lanre Adeleke (a.k.a Legacy),the SUG president,Faro Idris(the SUG PRO) & Olagunju Tomi(the immediate past SUG SEC GEN) were lucky to escape.But Yemi Iwilade (a.k.a Afrika),the SUG SEC GEN & his cousin a part 1 student that slept in the room that day met their death.Afrika was shot dead in his sleep & his skull axed thereafter.Pintos,the SUG FIN SEC was lucky too,but Eviano,the part 5 medical student wasn't.What a day!.OAU lost 5 prominent students.Arrest were made the following by the ever conscious great ife students.Efosa,one of the suspects was apprehended among others,but the powers that be made nonsense of the trial.Well,God is watchin. Adieu Afrika,Adieu Ajita, Adieu Eviano, Adieu Sabo oke & Adieu Ekelemu.Your deaths water the tree of OAU struggle. Ti mo taye wa,great ife ni ma lo.Ti mo taye wa great ife ni ma lo.Of the greatest ife,ever conscious ife,ever militant ife,ALUTA CONTINUA,VICTORIA ACERTA.

2 Likes

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by fullblast(m): 10:55pm On Jul 10, 2013
adeokunade: Who can remember Dennis Chukwusa?
. DENNIS CHUKWUSA,an OAU student, was killed in one ǿſ the Aluta struggles by Mopol....so i heared. A memorial was always being held in his honor every july 8 or 9. Afrika came to our hall ǿſ residence(d last day i saw him) with his mobile PAS 2 inform us about d programme which was †φ take place in Amphi, I didnt go because ǿſ prep for mid-semester Tests slated for sat july 10
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by StevenJay01(m): 10:57pm On Jul 10, 2013
Just returned to my room from the solidarity trek from angola to SUB.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by StevenJay01(m): 11:02pm On Jul 10, 2013
Just returned to my room from the solidarity trek from angola to SUB.
sportfeva: The OAU 5 will forever remain a martyr. The ugly incident made student to be determine NEVER to indulge in any violence activities on campus. Who born you well to fight in the hall. I am an Awoite. I started in blk2, blk 6(via scuttling-pt 2&3) and finalist in blk 8 last floor sug floor. Even though if students want to fight and they are influencing, they will still never fight because they know the consequence. No illegal group meeting, what are doing with knife or dangerous weapon and don't dare scare someone with such things like gun etc even playfully, you will regret you came to Ife. Diamond was the president i met and they instill the story of Afrika into our heart, which go on and on.
Forever be remembered
Long live Great Ife.

I am sure you are not a great ife student!U re most likely to be a universal student!ur command of english reminds me of Ojere students.its not by force to comment
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by fullblast(m): 11:06pm On Jul 10, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Faculty of EDM is on the way to Tonkere, where Wole Soyinka, Gov Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State, Secretary of Edo State Gov't, Julius Ihonvbere; Dipo Fashina, Dele Momodu and other radicals set up Radio Kudirat to tackle Sanni Abacha.
. What a classified info? That's great Ife for You
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by aladegal: 11:06pm On Jul 10, 2013
dolphinife: i was given Angola hall in part 1, i sold it to buy a space in block 6, room 172, awo hall. I stayed in that single room from 100 level till my graduation day making me the longest serving student in a room... grin grin grin grin grin

i was both the de-facto and de-jure ruler of that block 6 and i remember forming a committee called the COUNCIL OF ELDERS FOR BLOCK 6 ALONE. I really enjoy my life to the extent that i dnt cook nor wash my clothes again.

For the benefit of hindsight, Awolowo hall is the only student hall where a student can sustain himself even without a penny in his pocket. I have seen so many Awoites who had no financial strength to feed themselves, yet, they live to enjoy themselves because awo hall is known for sharing things with room mates.

E karo sir se e maa fo so

1 Like

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by theripper3: 11:20pm On Jul 10, 2013
aladegal: E karo sir se e maa fo so

Think awo boys funkified it "E karo sir, se e maa na wo".

Those yeye boys wey full awo then especially blocks 1 and 2. God forbid.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by dayokanu(m): 11:21pm On Jul 10, 2013
E kaaro se ma fo mo

Fine moimoi fine (bread)breeast, fine akara fine br3ast
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by damosky12(m): 11:23pm On Jul 10, 2013
aladegal: E karo sir se e maa fo so
hahahaha. That woman.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by damosky12(m): 11:26pm On Jul 10, 2013
the_ripper3:

Think awo boys funkified it "E karo sir, se e maa na wo".

Those yeye boys wey full awo then especially blocks 1 and 2. God forbid.
I tell you that block 1 and 2 are the "aro" zone.. Chai!
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by theripper3: 11:32pm On Jul 10, 2013
Only in OAU u hear comments like these during exam periods

" Emi ni iwe, e si ma kami, ko si ni ye yin"

"Igi iwe, eso odo"

Nostalgic feelings.

1 Like

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by fullblast(m): 11:44pm On Jul 10, 2013
J-man:
Omo!, i was a jambite when the incident occcurred. It was tragic! Africa was shot in the head (from the reports) and he was rushed to the health center first before being rushed to a hospital in town. He died on the way! The following morning was very interesting. Students (including our so called aje-butter babes) formed groups, mobilized vehicles and visited all motor parks/garages in search of the cultists. Come and see action!!! The "intelligence" unit of the Student Union has already gotten the names of the cultists and where they came from(i dont know how). One of them was caught and shishi maximum was dished out to him. Even the ladies jostled to join the "shishi team". During the search for the principal 'actor', a friend of mine was picked up cos he bore the first 2 names of the cultist.
And when they found the main guy nko News raced round the school like wild fire that they had caught him and his trial was to be conducted at Amphi theatre. The hall was filled (overfilled sef)to capacity. Then Lanre "Legacy" (student union president) walked in (that guy get too much action for body sef!!!). His first words were "GREATEST IFE!!!" The response from all was a resounding "GREAT!!!" Even our lecturers were there also shouting "Great" with us students.
I remember so many funny incidents (fetching water at the stream behind moz, trekking to gate through road 1 when school is on strike shocked, going for angel of chemistry lectures at 5am, eating amala at old buka, walking into Moz to toast a babe with butterflies in my stomach etc).
Ife students always stand together whereever they meet in life and protect one another.
The school is filled with so many memories. OAU for life.
. IDAHOSA was his name, a local gov diploma student. He was d one that confessed that it was the Tyrant VC wale Omole that sponsored the attack on the student's union exco; A union that forced d VC †φ rescind tuition hike from N8,600 †φ less than N1,500 as a Jambite. "OWo omogo" was a slang reigning dose days. WelLdone Legacy, afrika...OF D GREATEST IFE!!!!
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Dsage1: 11:47pm On Jul 10, 2013
Gunzilla:

Mr Seyi,there was no axe used on Afrika.It was a gunshot to the head.Poor dude was sleeping and didnt even know what hit him.Any other version of the story is mere hearsay...

Let look at the second sentence of the above post very well. Are you one of the killers, roomate or just saying what you don't know? Because you're too straight forward with your response.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by otipoju(m): 12:01am On Jul 11, 2013
RIP to the dead
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by PapaBrowne(m): 12:10am On Jul 11, 2013
So all these Nairalanders are Great Ifites!! Interesting!

I had barely spent few months on campus when the cultists struck. I resided at Awo hall.

It was a sad and sorry nite. Very Surreal. The next day felt very eerie.

I left Ife a few days later and Nigeria a few weeks later. Ife never felt the same. I haven't stepped foot on campus since then.

That attack was predicated on an event that happened few weeks before......

I remember one sunday when Afrika and a couple other SUG boys apprehended about six students and brought them to the TV room in Awo hall and gave them the meanest and most viscious beating I have ever witnessed. The boys were bleeding profusely. Planking to the head, boots on the stomach....brutality at its extreme. The beating lasted for over six hours. The boys were said to be cultists. I had never seen such brutality in my life. I felt so sorry for the boys. I didn't feel like that was the right way for the SUG to handle people because they were suspected to be cultists. The funny thing was that they hadn't done anything wrong, they were just suspected cultists. I knew in my heart that day that if these boys are released, they would definitely come back for vengeance. Its like smiting a snake without killing it. Sadly, that is exactly what happened.

Wow. 14 years already. Hmmm. So children born then go do they enter SS1 by now. Time dey fly oh.

3 Likes

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by Ariyke: 12:20am On Jul 11, 2013
edo.girl:
I remember walking alone, on several occasions, from Faculty of Arts all the way to Moza at 2,3, 4am without ever thinking I was at risk. And I would encounter other lone walkers along the way. Ife was such a safe colony.

Wonder what things are like now.

things are still the same we are still save
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by jerikoyan(m): 12:31am On Jul 11, 2013
Rip
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by fullblast(m): 12:37am On Jul 11, 2013
seyi360: Axes were used on every one that was killed, as it was d signature of a "" attack.
. AXES I saw d aluminium pellets from d gun shots in late Efe's room and even saw his pool of cerebro-spinal fluid...shot at close range, same applies †φ ajiteru, eviano ekelemu whose blood flowed from d Faj's medical floor †φ d basement. July 9 ws a very busy, hectic n an all stressful day for Afrika as Dennis chukwusa memorial was marked. HE must have joined d kegytes gyration from reading cos he had †φ do mid-sem test @ 7am,july 10. He left d gyration for his room at around 3.30am †φ catch some sleep. 4.30am they struck,he ws murderded in his deep sleep wt zero resistance.ALL SHOT AT CLOSE RANGE. Lanre Legacy's side ǿſ story.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by orunmila76(m): 12:38am On Jul 11, 2013
When a memory lane. RIP Ewilade
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by tpia5: 1:38am On Jul 11, 2013
so all we know is nothing is known about the killings save the hearsay we come across here and there.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by tpia5: 1:40am On Jul 11, 2013
Afam4eva:
I can remember this event vividly. I felt pity for the parents of those students whose lives were cut short. I think it's after that incident that OAU started losing steam.

Afam4eva:

But after that incident, a lot of applicants became wary of OAU. That event coupled with the incessant strikes that OAU experience made the school's popularity to wane. You can't compare OAU of today to OAU of yesteryears.

Afam4eva: I heard OAU has the most beautiful campus in NIgeria.
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by tpia5: 1:45am On Jul 11, 2013
dolphinife:

BROS, lemme explain the little i knw about the incidence to you for your understanding.

Before 1999 incidence, OAU is the headquarters of cult groups. The cult groups were very oppressive and aggressive. The students studied under fear and threat to peace and safety. It got to a stage that nobody could stand up to face these cultists. Then, Iwilade came to the fore. He was a law student and immediately he got admitted, he joined the student union and was very proactive.

As a law student, the students were suppose to be in black and white dress code, but he refuse this dress code and opted for native dress which single him out from the masses. The lecturers frustrated him because of this dress code and thereafter, he sue the school management and faculty of law to court stressing that he has the right to wear anything he felt he loved. He unilaterally won this case through the instrumentality of Gani Fawehinmi. From this time onward, he was seen as a thorn in the flesh of the school management.

Immediately he became the secretary of the student union, he rallied the students against the cultists. i was tod that because his father was an herbalist, he(iwilade) was able to confront these cultists head-long. Before you know it, the cultists from other institutions felt threatened by this single boy and decided to deal with him. So a plan was deviced to strike on the day of WORLD KEGGITE DAY because they knew that iwilade was a prominent member of the group.

On the day of this keggite day, Iwilade was so drunk that he has to be taken to his room to sleep being late in the night. immediately afterwards, the cultists struck and made way to iwilade's room and killed him. On the day of his burial, he's father said had it been that his son was not drunk, nobody can ever kill him.

contrary to this story, there was no love lost between the VC and Iwilade and we were told that the VC was head-bent to take iwilade out of his way, and the plan was executed with mastery. AJE KE LANA, OMO KU LONI......TA NI KO MO PE AJE ANA LO PA OMO JEE

THAT'S MY SUBMISSION

dolphinife: I can say it with every form of modesty that OAU is the onyl university in Nigeria, apparently government owned university that is CULT-FREE. OAU is the only university in Nigeria up to this present moment that every students is a stakeholder in maintaining peace and order in the campus.

Countless times without numbers that the SECURITY COMMITTEE OF THE STUDENT UNION went to arrest cultists even outside the campus and i was a member then.

OAU is the only university in Nigeria that gives you the liberty to express yourself without anybody intimidating you or forcing you to coercion. Throughout my 4 years studies in OAU, i have never heard that a cultist killed or kidnap any students. That's the kind of fresh breeze we have up til date in OAU.

Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by tpia5: 1:46am On Jul 11, 2013
you people need to coordinate your stories undecided
Re: July 10 Cult Attack In OAU, Ile-Ife by tpia5: 1:49am On Jul 11, 2013
so, another thing we are seeing here is:

one of the slain students was drunk,

another of the slain students was sick

hence they were easily caught by their assailants.

now, what are the odds both victims just happened to be incapacitated one way or the other, at the very time they were being hunted by their killers.

this doesnt look like deux ex machina to me.

either we are lying, repeating hearsay, and/or something else is going on.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Colonialism, Positive Or Negative Influences? / 10 Types Of Students You Will Meet In Hostels / Full List Of Successful Candidates In The 2014 Nigerian Army Recruitment Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.