Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,527 members, 7,826,979 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today (16665 Views)

Village In America Where The Yoruba Culture Is Being Practiced (Photos) / 7 Bizarre Cultural Practices Still Practiced Today / UN Warns Britain Over Child Voodoo Rituals, P.edophile Sex Tourists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by xynerise: 3:24pm On Jul 29, 2013
makahlj2:

The Shi'a flagellate themselves like the Catholics do

, venerate icons of Imam Ali such as this one

[img]http://ustadchandra.files./2010/01/db_db_imam_ali11.jpg[/img]

and even have holy Trinity (Ali, Muhammad and Salman).
If you dont know what to say pls shut your pile hole up.

1 Like

Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by salvarhymes: 3:25pm On Jul 29, 2013
donedy:
i have two female friends that were circumcised and they lament everyday cos of it. It denies u of sexual enjoyment u r suppose to feel.... So for men, it is gud bt for women,,,,, no way

I'm not surprise at all, another bunch of deluded black folks ridden with inferiority complex. Tell us,what make male circumcision or female circumcision controversial? It's been proven that those practices are beneficial.

I never see where the OP mentioned on Incest; which is a controversial stuff being practice by White folks.

The thread should reads "Rituals White folks find controversial."
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by timpaker(m): 3:26pm On Jul 29, 2013
bullsh.it angry angry angry
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by makahlj2: 3:26pm On Jul 29, 2013
xynerise:
But I know what to say. If you have a problem with my post, why don't you state it clearly?
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by Youngzedd(m): 3:28pm On Jul 29, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: I hate the girls mutilation, that girl is still young. You forgot to add the boys circumcision

Boys circumcision isn't ritual.
An order from the Creator of living and non-living.
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by xynerise: 3:32pm On Jul 29, 2013
makahlj2: But I know what to say. If you have a problem with my post, why don't you state it clearly?
Check the bolded
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by inyang(m): 3:34pm On Jul 29, 2013
[quotedonedy:
i have two female friends that were circumcised and they lament everyday cos of it. It denies u of intimate enjoyment u r suppose to feel.... So for men, it is gud bt for women,,,,, no way ][/quote]

So what exactly are they lamenting?

Do explain

Or rather advise them to go read up on female sexuality and sex and stop having hang ups about their private organ state
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by makahlj2: 3:37pm On Jul 29, 2013
xynerise:
Check the bolded

Flagellants in the Philippines. These folks are Catholic.

Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by Owakoi: 3:38pm On Jul 29, 2013
Mudley313: What about the ritual of alter call or tithe giving, where brainwashed sheeps effortless give away their hard earned cash to jet riding con-men? Or the ritual of worshipping and eating n drinking the flesh n blood of a dead Jewish zombie who was sacrificed by his father/himself to cleanse away sins stemming from a magic apple, some woman, and a talking snake in some garden

u r totally out of ur mind n a real piece of work.do u hav to blatantly insult d doctrines of another religion? u
act like an ill mannered,uncultured savage dat requires incaceration bc its pple such as u dat stir up trouble.

2 Likes

Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by xynerise: 3:39pm On Jul 29, 2013
makahlj2:

The catholics I know dont act like this. Those guys are doing their traditional ritual

1 Like

Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by kevoh(m): 3:44pm On Jul 29, 2013
makahlj2:

The Shi'a flagellate themselves like the Catholics do

Even if I were born a 'shia' common sense will never let me do this.
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by makahlj2: 3:45pm On Jul 29, 2013
xynerise:
The catholics I know dont act like this. Those guys are doing their traditional ritual
Nope, it isn't some local ritual. In the past, it was done in all Catholic lands, and even today, it's done in several Latin-American countries and even in Spain.

1 Like

Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by igbeke: 3:47pm On Jul 29, 2013
HumbledbYGrace: I hate the girls mutilation, that girl is still young. You forgot to add the boys circumcision
Boys Circumcision is Biblical, and healthy too.
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by xynerise: 3:51pm On Jul 29, 2013
makahlj2: Nope, it isn't some local ritual. In the past, it was done in all Catholic lands, and even today, it's done in several Latin-American countries and even in Spain.
If you dont have evidence pls shut up.
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by Dempsy(m): 3:56pm On Jul 29, 2013
xynerise:
If you dont have evidence pls shut up.
what makajh is saying is true...
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by Rawpidgin(m): 3:58pm On Jul 29, 2013
instead of our socall men of God to take christainity to all these part of the world, their own na to build 20thousand seater church, come dey convince gullable people to pay tithe, as if tithing na be force.
abi their private jet na 4 fancy?
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by inyang(m): 4:00pm On Jul 29, 2013
Owakoi:

u r totally out of ur mind n a real piece of work.do u hav to blatantly insult d doctrines of another religion? u
act like an ill mannered,uncultured savage dat requires incaceration bc its pple such as u dat stir up trouble.

Really

So some can be insulted but others are off limits?

The poster is just showing that what you accept can be looked upon as a 'Stupid or Controversial Ritual'
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by Rawpidgin(m): 4:01pm On Jul 29, 2013
Boys circumcision nor bad, if dem circumsize ur man u know how ugly im pleasure stick 4 look
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by deandavid(m): 4:07pm On Jul 29, 2013
Na d 1 wen cĂ´ncern me i go talk about, do we have grown up women, who have been circumcised on nairaland? If there are, they can kindly share us their experiences and tell us if female circumcisn is a good practise or nt.
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by igbeke: 4:10pm On Jul 29, 2013
xynerise:
Prove him wrong instead of insults.
Must u pick a quarrel even when u r not provoked?
Haba!
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by xynerise: 4:12pm On Jul 29, 2013
igbeke:
Prove him wrong instead of insults.
Must u pick a quarrel even when u r not provoked?
Haba!
I proved him wrong by shuting his pile hole.

Where did he get his fact from? I am a catholic and we dont practise what he said.

1 Like

Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by deandavid(m): 4:14pm On Jul 29, 2013
makahlj2:

u don see wen dm dy flog persn like dat 4 catholic church? I wont take dat kind of lash, unless i dy gate of heaven and God say i nid 2 take 100 lashes 2 enter paradise.
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by Owakoi: 4:17pm On Jul 29, 2013
inyang:

Really

So some can be insulted but others are off limits?

The poster is just showing that what you accept can be looked upon as a 'Stupid or Controversial Ritual'

ok got ur point n ur mature way of communicating but u know dat there r som sect dat wil nt tk such insults lying low.Afterall we hav seen where cartoons,low budget movies n even d slightest jounalism blunder can lead to loss of lives.
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by Nobody: 4:23pm On Jul 29, 2013
Ashabie: can you please state the year when you heard someone was Caught and used for Sacrifice? Always say what you see, I was born and breed in ikd, and ave nt hrd for once that they cot sumone and sacrifice her. They only used that to scare ppl like you.
My bad! I guess I should've said supposedly sacrificed.True,I've never confirmed any of the numerous stories I've heard.So,tell me what they actually do when they impose those curfews.
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by igbeke: 4:24pm On Jul 29, 2013
xynerise:

Where did he get his fact from? I am a catholic and we dont practise what he said.
It costs less effort to tell him he's wrong.
We r all here to learn one or more new things. in doing so, we fit mis-yarn. It doesn't matter, let's just take it "jejely".
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by Idowuogbo(f): 4:31pm On Jul 29, 2013
xynerise: Pulling a Tooth during Adulthood (Australia)
In this ritual a man lies down on his back, resting his head on the lap of a sitting man. Later, he fills his mouth with fur string for the purpose of absorbing the blood, deadening the pain, and preventing the tooth from being swallowed, as well. The same man then takes a piece of wood in which a hole is made, usually the sharp end of a spear, presses it firmly against the tooth, and strikes it sharply with a stone.

Ouchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by joe4christ(m): 4:31pm On Jul 29, 2013
Mudley313: What about the ritual of alter call or tithe giving, where brainwashed sheeps effortless give away their hard earned cash to jet riding con-men? Or the ritual of worshipping and eating n drinking the flesh n blood of a dead Jewish zombie who was sacrificed by his father/himself to cleanse away sins stemming from a magic apple, some woman, and a talking snake in some garden

Have you ever thought of the possibilities of what you're running from, coming back to hunt you.
The possibilities of you being wrong about God.
What if what u laugh at today turn out the truth tomorrow

1 Like

Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by Nobody: 4:41pm On Jul 29, 2013
Babalegba: . Are you okay at all, stop peddlling rubbish. Have you seen somebody sacrificed shamefull liar.
You don't have to be bitter.I have nothing against the yorubas but yorubaland is the only place where I know the oro thingy is done and it's been done annually in both the places I've lived in Lagos since I was a kid.I prolly didnt phrase my post well.I'm no superstitious guy n the whole sacrifice thingy seems like bullshit to me but that's the general belief in Lagos.Could u be kind enough to tell me what they actually do during that festival?
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by dolphinife: 4:44pm On Jul 29, 2013
all these sacrifices are child play compared to what's obtainable among the royal houses in Ijebu-Ode. The practice has been age-long and I know its still in vogue

Immediately an incumbent king diesn I.e, the Awujale of Ijebuland, his body would be butchered and cut into three parts. The three pieces of the body would be buried at the three entrance that enters Ijebu Ode. This tradition has been age-long like I said, but I understand the incumbent has devise a way to circumvent this practice by instructing his children to embalm him immediately he dies so dat his body will be useless to the kingmakers.

Moreso, there is an age-long tradition in which a prince who wanted to be made a king would be instructed to eat the liver of his predecessor. And as he would be eating, d kingmakers would be intermittently asking him wat he's doing and he will reply them "am eating king"...direct translation meaning "mon joba".

Therefore, the present king of Ijebu-ode has directed that such barbaric act should stop forthwith and him should be accorded a full burial rites....

FYI, these assertions might be untrue, but, there are element of truths in it
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by dolphinife: 4:52pm On Jul 29, 2013
deandavid: u don see wen dm dy flog persn like dat 4 catholic church? I wont take dat kind of lash, unless i dy gate of heaven and God say i nid 2
take 100 lashes 2 enter paradise.

Modern processions of hooded Flagellants are still a feature of various Mediterranean Catholic countries, mainly in Spain, Italy and some former colonies, usually every year during Lent. They also occur in the Philippines during Holy Week. For example in the commune of Guardia Sanframondi in Campania, Italy, such parades are organized once every seven years.

Some Roman Catholics in Philippines practice flagellation as a form of devout worship, sometimes in addition to self-crucifixion (during the end of Lent season).

1 Like

Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by bulletproofmonk(m): 5:02pm On Jul 29, 2013
Very interesting topic. This further demonstrates the sanctity of customs and beliefs. No matter how we see it, MAN will always have HIS opinion, and guided by it. "Tolerance" is the watchword. AN attempt to impose opinions on a fellow man is what degenerates to rancour and strife, as evident in the world today.
Re: Controversial Rituals Still Practiced Today by inyang(m): 5:04pm On Jul 29, 2013
xynerise:

Actually.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagellation

Read down to the part about Catholics, Opus Dei and such

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Do African's Love Asian People? / Why Is Nigerian Society So Damn Corrupt? / Ooni: Make deeper researches about Yoruba-Igbo family ties

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.