Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,487 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:10 PM

Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? (1673 Views)

Why Is Samsung Galaxy Note II Still Expensive Than Samsung Galaxy S 4 / Where Is Samsung Service Centre Located In Lagos? / How Much Is Samsung galaxy S3 Worth Presently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by Cuzz: 2:23pm On Jul 12, 2013
Samsung (NASDAQOTH: SSNLF ) is
aiming to get developers coding for
Tizen. The South Korean tech giant
has announced a contest: $4 million
is up for grabs to any would-be
developers.
Like Google ’s (NASDAQ: GOOG )
Android, Tizen is an open-source
mobile operating system based on
Linux. To date, its development has
been spearheaded by Samsung and
Intel (NASDAQ: INTC ).
Samsung has been rumored to be
planning a move away from Android
in favor of Tizen. Right now, that
seems unlikely, but a contest like
this lends credence to that theory.
Samsung has made billions from
Android
At first glance, the idea that
Samsung would abandon Android
seems ludicrous. Even factoring in
Samsung’s recent 20% drop, shares
are still up nearly 40% since the
beginning of 2012.
Most of that gain has been due to
the billions of dollars Samsung has
raked in on its Galaxy smartphones.
The Galaxy lineup, which is now on
its fourth generation, has -- until
very recently -- been the closest
thing Apple’s iPhone has had to a
true competitor. Read full story here:http://beta.fool.com/joekurtz/2013/07/12/is-samsung-about-to-abandon-android/40136/?source=eogyholnk0000001
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by Digriz(m): 2:31pm On Jul 12, 2013
If actually they are planning it,then that wld be the beginning of their downfall.
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by physise(m): 2:44pm On Jul 12, 2013
na lie joor,it wont happen
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by braine(m): 2:50pm On Jul 12, 2013
The new development is welcomed. Android needs competition. Plus, it may even be better.

Digriz: If actually they are planning it,then that wld be the beginning of their downfall.

1 Like

Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by Nobody: 4:42pm On Jul 12, 2013
Nawa o, firefox is also havng their own smartphone OS! very soon all these noise about android will start fading
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by LordReed(m): 7:56pm On Jul 12, 2013
Samsung's dominance of the Android platform won't last forever. I think they already preparing an alternative for that eventuality. Anyways main other companies will/can take over so it won't be a big deal.
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by RedCard1(m): 11:00pm On Jul 12, 2013
They won't for now. Pls how much is Samsung Galaxy Quattro in Nigeria?
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by caukerzee(m): 11:25pm On Jul 12, 2013
Red_Card: They won't for now. Pls how much is Samsung Galaxy Quattro in Nigeria?
last time i checked it was 45k-47k.
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by physise(m): 11:30pm On Jul 12, 2013
whats d price of sony xperia sp
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by caukerzee(m): 11:33pm On Jul 12, 2013
i would surely follow samsung to their new OS if they eventually leave the android platform because i know they are inovative and creative enough to create an OS that would favorably compete with the android OS smiley . my only problem becomes whether or not their new os will enjoy app availability as the android os does. lets all see how it all goes sha. if samsung eventually ditches the android os, it will hurt it badly because samsung has been very instrumental to the sucess of the android os.
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by caukerzee(m): 11:40pm On Jul 12, 2013
physise: whats d price of sony xperia sp
67-78k as at june. not sure about now.
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by physise(m): 11:41pm On Jul 12, 2013
caukerzee: 67-78k as at june. not sure about now.
thanks
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by Damon03(m): 11:53pm On Jul 12, 2013
As wierd as it seems even google is making plans to dump android for chrome OS... I dont really see the appeal in web OSes but it seems google has other plans.
Very soon there'll be lots of operating systems to choose from though
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by caukerzee(m): 12:03am On Jul 13, 2013
Damon03: As wierd as it seems even google is making plans to dump android for chrome OS... I dont really see the appeal in web OSes but it seems google has other plans.
Very soon there'll be lots of operating systems to choose from though
true. my only problem becomes the availability of applications for the new OSes. will the iOS and androidOS duopoly still continue?
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by Damon03(m): 12:16am On Jul 13, 2013
caukerzee: true. my only problem becomes the availability of applications for the new OSes. will the iOS and androidOS duopoly still continue?
Html5 apps wouldnt be that hard to get, developers will rush it. Problem is those kinda smartphones become useless without the internet.

The ios vs android thing will soon die down especially since samsung is moving ahead to something else. It will soon become: Apps Os (ios, android and the likes) vs Web Os(chrome, firefox et al). I'm rooting for the app oses, dont want a phone that depends solely on the internet

1 Like

Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by caukerzee(m): 1:12am On Jul 13, 2013
Damon03:
Html5 apps wouldnt be that hard to get, developers will rush it. Problem is those kinda smartphones become useless without the internet.

The ios vs android thing will soon die down especially since samsung is moving ahead to something else. It will soon become: Apps Os (ios, android and the likes) vs Web Os(chrome, firefox et al). I'm rooting for the app oses, dont want a phone that depends solely on the internet
oh i see!
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by Youngpo413: 6:30am On Jul 13, 2013
It`s now that I truly understand why nokia didn`t go for ANDROID.
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by caukerzee(m): 7:31am On Jul 13, 2013
Young po413: It`s now that I truly understand why nokia didn`t go for ANDROID.
what do you see?
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by RedCard1(m): 10:29am On Jul 13, 2013
caukerzee: last time i checked it was 45k-47k.
thanks...I just wish they would bring it down to 35k @least. Cute phone but better soup na money kill am. Make them better reduce d price o.
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by caukerzee(m): 12:24pm On Jul 13, 2013
Red_Card: thanks...I just wish they would bring it down to 35k @least. Cute phone but better soup na money kill am. Make them better reduce d price o.
Yeah true. its one of the best mid-range smartphones out there. wonder why its not so popular in this part of the world. mainly in asia, india to be specific.
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by luckymoon(m): 8:47pm On Jul 22, 2013
whether sumsung or andorid,nokia is the best for me.my battery dey last 4 me.
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by NEROSKY(m): 12:13am On Jul 23, 2013
cogitoErgo: Nawa o, firefox is also havng their own smartphone OS! very soon all these noise about android will start fading
jealousy go kill u

1 Like

Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by majalisa(m): 12:29am On Jul 23, 2013
Young po413: It`s now that I truly understand why nokia didn`t go for ANDROID.
indulge me further,I don't seem to understand
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by majalisa(m): 12:35am On Jul 23, 2013
luckymoon: whether sumsung or andorid,nokia is the best for me.my battery dey last 4 me.
I c!
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by samsard(m): 1:18pm On Jul 23, 2013
luckymoon: whether sumsung or andorid,nokia is the best for me.my battery dey last 4 me.
If your phone does'nt have anything powerful to process you'll definitely brag about battery life....its not that Nokia have the best batteries; its just that thier phones are lightweight (task wise)
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by samsard(m): 1:20pm On Jul 23, 2013
Permit me to call you village boy
Re: Is Samsung Abt To Abandon Android? by ninja4life(m): 1:31pm On Jul 23, 2013
Its a welcome development atleast dat will bring about competition to andriod os which is good for d average consumer

(1) (Reply)

Wow!!! Gionee Mobile Did It Again. / Can You Buy Or Use This Android Phone With 5 Batteries? / Airtel 4G Now Seen In Lagos...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.