Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,713 members, 7,816,939 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:36 PM

Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. (13943 Views)

The World's Most Educated President Is An African. Find Out Who The Person Is / Imo State Is the Most Educated State In Nigeria......... But / Which State Is The Most Educated In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by OsunAmazon: 2:24am On May 21, 2008
May 20, 2008, 2:11AM
BACHELOR'S AND BEYOND
In America, Nigerians' education pursuit is above rest
Whether driven by immigration or family, data show more earn degrees

By LESLIE CASIMIR
Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Complete coverage of immigration issues For Woodlands resident David Olowokere, one of Nigeria's sons, having a master's degree in engineering just wasn't enough for his people back home. So he got a doctorate.

His wife, Shalewa Olowokere, a civil engineer, didn't stop at a bachelor's, either. She went for her master's.

The same obsession with education runs in the Udeh household in Sugar Land. Foluke Udeh and her husband, Nduka, both have master's degrees. Anything less, she reckons, would have amounted to failure.

"If you see an average Nigerian family, everybody has a college degree these days," said Udeh, 32, a physical therapist at Memorial Hermann-Texas Medical Center. "But a post-graduate degree, that's like pride for the family."

Nigerian immigrants have the highest levels of education in this city and the nation, surpassing whites and Asians, according to Census data bolstered by an analysis of 13 annual Houston-area surveys conducted by Rice University.

Although they make up a tiny portion of the US. population, a whopping 17 percent of all Nigerians in this country held master's degrees while 4 percent had a doctorate, according to the 2006 American Community Survey conducted by the US. Census Bureau. In addition, 37 percent had bachelor's degrees.

In comparison
To put those numbers in perspective, 8 percent of the white population in the US. had master's degrees, according to the Census survey. And 1 percent held doctorates. About 19 percent of white residents had bachelor's degrees. Asians come closer to the Nigerians with 12 percent holding master's degrees and 3 percent having doctorates.

The Nigerian numbers are "strikingly high," said Roderick Harrison, demographer at the Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, a Washington, D.C., think tank that specializes in researching black issues. "There is no doubt that these are highly educated professionals who are probably working in the petrochemical, medical and business sectors in Houston."

Harrison analyzed the census data for the Houston Chronicle.

Stephen Klineberg, a sociologist at Rice University who conducts the annual Houston Area Survey, suspects the percentage of Nigerian immigrants with post-graduate degrees is higher than Census data shows.

Of all the Nigerian immigrants he reached in his random phone surveys 1994 through 2007 — 45 households total — Klineberg said 40 percent of the Nigerians said they had post-graduate degrees.

"These are higher levels of educational attainment than were found in any other ,  community," Klineberg said.

There are more than 12,000 Nigerians in Houston, according to the latest Census data, a figure sociologists and Nigerian community leaders say is a gross undercount. They believe the number to be closer to 100,000.

Staying in school
The reasons Nigerians have more post-graduate degrees than any other racial or ethnic group are largely due to Nigerian society's emphasis on mandatory and free education. Once immigrating to this country, practical matters of immigration laws get in the way.

The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 made it easier for Africans to enter the US., but mostly as students or highly skilled professionals — not through family sponsorships, Klineberg said.

So many Africans pursue higher levels of education as an unintended consequence of navigating the tricky minefield of immigration, said Amadu Jacky Kaba, an associate professor at Seton Hall University in South Orange, N.J., who has done research on African immigrants in the US.

"In a way, it's a Catch-22 — because of immigration laws you are forced to remain in school, but then the funny thing is you end up getting your doctorate at the age of 29," Kaba said. "If you stay in school, immigration will leave you alone."

Although Kaba, who teaches Africana Studies, is not from Nigeria (he is Liberian), he said he, too, found himself pursuing a master's and then a doctorate to remain in this country legally.

But not all Africans have to go this route. Some say their motivation is driven by their desire to overcome being a double minority: black and African.

Take Oluyinka Olutoye, 41, associate professor of pediatric surgery at Baylor College of Medicine. He came to this country already as a medical doctor but decided to pursue his doctorate in anatomy to help set himself apart.

"Being black, you are already at a disadvantage," said Olutoye, whose wife, Toyin Olutoye, is an anesthesiologist at Baylor. "You really need to excel far above if you want to be considered for anything in this country."

Family expectations
All this talk of education creates high expectations for children of Nigerian immigrants. The eldest child of David Olowokere, chairman of the engineering technologies department at Texas Southern University, for example, is already working on her master's degree in public health in Atlanta; the middle child is pursuing a bachelor's in pre-medicine. His youngest, a son, attends The Woodlands High School. He already has aspirations to go into engineering, just like his parents, Olowokere beams.

"The goal is for them to do as good as us — if not better," he said.

Oluyinka Olutoye put it another way.

"The typical saying in a Nigerian household is that the best inheritance that a parent can give you is not jewelry or cash or material things, it is a good education," he said. "It is expected."

leslie.casimir@chron.com

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5791096.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by DisGuy: 2:42am On May 21, 2008
feel good article at best

Of all the Nigerian immigrants he reached in his random phone surveys 1994 through 200745 households total — Klineberg said 40 percent of the Nigerians said they had post-graduate degrees.

but I agree sha

Staying in school
The reasons Nigerians have more post-graduate degrees than any other racial or ethnic group are largely due to Nigerian society's emphasis on mandatory and free education. Once immigrating to this country, practical matters of immigration laws get in the way.

The Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 made it easier for Africans to enter the US., but mostly as students or highly skilled professionals — not through family sponsorships, Klineberg said.

So many Africans pursue higher levels of education as an unintended consequence of navigating the tricky minefield of immigration, said Amadu Jacky Kaba, an associate professor at Seton Hall University in South Orange, N.J., who has done research on African immigrants in the US.

"In a way, it's a Catch-22 — because of immigration laws you are forced to remain in school, but then the funny thing is you end up getting your doctorate at the age of 29," Kaba said. "If you stay in school, immigration will leave you alone."

Although Kaba, who teaches Africana Studies, is not from Nigeria (he is Liberian), he said he, too, found himself pursuing a master's and then a doctorate to remain in this country legally.

But not all Africans have to go this route. Some say their motivation is driven by their desire to overcome being a double minority: black and African.

Take Oluyinka Olutoye, 41, associate professor of pediatric surgery at Baylor College of Medicine. He came to this country already as a medical doctor but decided to pursue his doctorate in anatomy to help set himself apart.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by dangermous: 2:59am On May 21, 2008
naija and book. na book man pikin go chop

wetin book go help you do if na cleaner, care worker or undertaker you go use am do
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Kobojunkie: 3:05am On May 21, 2008
LMAO!!!! @DisGuy!!! good one!!!
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by OsunAmazon: 3:06am On May 21, 2008
naija and book. na book man pikin go chop

wetin book go help you do if na cleaner, care worker or undertaker you go use am do
Who told you Nigerians here do cleaner and security jobs alone? Do you know how many computer programmers, astronauts, physicians, archittects, lawyers etc here that are Nigerians?
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 3:25am On May 21, 2008
Maybe that's what dangermous does for a living.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by dangermous: 3:30am On May 21, 2008
stillwater:

Maybe that's what dangermous does for a living.

e be like say you no dey listen to rock alone again. You dey use Rock knack your head.

Shior
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 3:37am On May 21, 2008
So dry
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by dangermous: 4:10am On May 21, 2008
stillwater:

So dry

Papa Roach oshi angry angry angry

iti bolibo
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 4:17am On May 21, 2008
Seriously, how old are you? grin
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 4:25am On May 21, 2008
What difference does it make as Nigerians also happen to be the most fraudulent immigrants in US?
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by DisGuy: 4:29am On May 21, 2008
nuzo:

What difference does it make as Nigerians also happen to be the most fraudulent immigrants in US?

evidence??
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by dangermous: 4:29am On May 21, 2008
abi o. many of these 419 don get Phd.

Dey append Dr for their name. shior

Dis Guy:

evidence??

look at this one. evidence ko, evidence ni

u dey carry dossier go beer parlour for argument??

I tire for some pedantic malus' for this forum
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by RichyBlacK(m): 6:24am On May 21, 2008
nuzo:

A truly reckless statement!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by OsunAmazon: 6:48am On May 21, 2008
A truly reckless statement!
I think reckless is an understatement. He's just a schmuck that takes pleasure in getting under people's skin,

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Tonim(f): 7:00am On May 21, 2008
nuzo:

It's really sad that a Nigerian would read the article on this thread and come up with a response like yours. This is what I'll
expect from one of those jealous african countries, not a fellow Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 7:39am On May 21, 2008
Nigerians do not like facing facts.

I am happy that Nigerians are the most educated immigrants in US, but it does not make much difference to me as they tarnish the good part by being the most fraudulent immigrants in US.
The fact remains that people will never appreciate your good part if the bad part exceeds the good one.

If na lie i lie, please prove me wrong and stop being sentimental.

@osun queen

Better relax, otan-ile in obokun LGA na my second home town. You dey feel me now? grin
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by OsunAmazon: 7:52am On May 21, 2008
Must we dwell on only negative news about Nigerians? can't we get a break sometimes?
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 8:00am On May 21, 2008
ok, madam. cool
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 8:03am On May 21, 2008
maybe i'm wrong, but i seriously doubt that nigerians are the most educated immigrants in the us, when we also have chinese and indian immigrants . and believe me, those people are driven. na them dey hammer perfect 800 on GRE tests.

we may be the most educated african immigrants, but overall, i don't think so. not based on any links, just a derived opinion
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 8:04am On May 21, 2008
But i still think that this is a case of "under achieve, over celebrate"

oooppps, my bad. Who is coming to knock me again? cry
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by OsunAmazon: 9:50am On May 21, 2008
maybe i'm wrong, but i seriously doubt that nigerians are the most educated immigrants in the us, when we also have chinese and indian immigrants . and believe me, those people are driven. na them dey hammer perfect 800 on GRE tests.

we may be the most educated african immigrants, but overall, i don't think so. not based on any links, just a derived opinion
Not entirely true, the article emphasized on college degrees. Recently, Indians et al moved into IT in large numbers and most of the IT professionals have no college degrees. Personally, i know Indians still dominate the medical sciences but when it comes to degrees in physical sciences, engineering, arts and law, they may be found wanting. That's why most big cities in the US like Chicago,LA,NY and Houston have more Nigerian lecturers than any other immigrants.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by OsunAmazon: 9:53am On May 21, 2008
But i still think that this is a case of "under achieve, over celebrate"

oooppps,  my bad. Who is coming to knock me again
Once again, a breathe of fresh air can be fulfilling. I don't know whether your likes and you always log in here every morning only to read headlines like:

1. Leprosy kills 500 in Gombe state

2. Edo gov dies on top of a transexual

3. Unilag shut down

4. Oil pipeline explosion in imo state

5. OYB castrated for sleeping with his boss' wife etc,
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by oziomatv(m): 10:15am On May 21, 2008
I quite agree we're the most educated immigrant in the world but my question and worries are. How have our high education effect our home economy and political status? People move on studying courses that will benefit them and their family alone no one think of creating mass job, doing something that the entire community will benefit from, invent something that will help change the look of our dear poor image country Nigeria.
Bill Gate, Larry earlison, Steve Jobs, The Google Boys and list of many to count never set up a business that benefit them and their family, they invented a business empire that not only the Americans are enjoying but the world. We're only think after our family and that's why in Nigeria People move with a wasteful expensive JEEP, live in a mansion, the road leading to their mansion they pass through with their cars are worst than swamp.
Nothing worst than being a PH.D holder only to collect salary in another man's company. We need to bring up our own nation, Indians were once like Nigeria in terms of under development but we can see changes in our eyes.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 10:24am On May 21, 2008
but isnt it a known fact that a fair few nigerians are into scam? y do we nigerians choose to run away from the fact?

in response to being the most educated immigrants, im not so sure about that. the indians and the chinese will give us a run for our money
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by tboy1(m): 10:30am On May 21, 2008
OMO IBO:

but isnt it a known fact that a fair few nigerians are into scam? y do we nigerians choose to run away from the fact?

Not compared to the whites and the asians
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by acidrop(f): 10:34am On May 21, 2008
i doubt that one big tym abeg
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by tboy1(m): 10:44am On May 21, 2008
acidrop:

i doubt that one big time abeg
so you didn't know white/asians are worse than nigerians cheesy cheesy
I'll tell you this - Nigerians fraud/scam is NOTHING compared to what those other people do.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Kobojunkie: 12:39pm On May 21, 2008
Majority of the Asians /Chinese in IT are college educated. Let us not in our bid to continue to overcelebrate, twist reality. I work in the IT area and majority of those in IT who are indians or chinese are college educated. I am not sure I have come across any stat out there to support the claim that cities like NY, Chicago or even LA have more NIGERIAN college professors than they do Indians or Chinese either.

This same topic has been discussed before now and I will ask for the same. Where is the main source for all this? Before now the claim was the Iranians were the most educated group in America. Now someone in Texas prints Nigerians are the most educated. All reference the same US census and my question still is which census Is there source for this that one can see to be sure of?? Does the census actually list people's information by country of origin, even people who happen to be americans

I believe we have more professors right within our shores in Nigeria but alas, that has done little to change things there so I, like the many who have already stated their opinion on this before, find this to be of no relevance to Nigeria and Nigerians as a whole.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Kobojunkie: 12:45pm On May 21, 2008
Question is which pollers Can we see the source and how they arrived at this conclusion For those who will be quick to label me a Nigeria Hater, you can spare me your venom. @IPMB, you mean this UMD??  UMD . The link there shows the list on faculty. Are you sure there are 10 Nigerians? Are they the majority then?
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Nobody: 1:20pm On May 21, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Majority of the Asians /Chinese in IT are college educated. Let us not in our bid to continue to overcelebrate, twist reality. I work in the IT area and majority of those in IT who are indians or chinese are college educated. I am not sure I have come across any stat out there to support the claim that cities like NY, Chicago or even LA have more NIGERIAN college professors than they do Indians or Chinese either.

This same topic has been discussed before now and I will ask for the same. Where is the main source for all this? Before now the claim was the Iranians were the most educated group in America. Now someone in Texas prints Nigerians are the most educated. All reference the same US census and my question still is which census Is there source for this that one can see to be sure of?? Does the census actually list people's information by country of origin, even people who happen to be americans

I believe we have more professors right within our shores in Nigeria but alas, that has done little to change things there so I, like the many who have already stated their opinion on this before, find this to be of no relevance to Nigeria and Nigerians as a whole.

I see where you're coming from. There r different angles to this dialogue and obviously u made your point based on what u see around u. No disrespect to u or anyone who did IT at university level but u don't actually have to go to univeristy to know IT or It related issues. u could do specialist IT courses without going to univeristy. Asians, especially the chinese and the indians are known to develop themselves in this area without going to university.

back to the topic, i believe nigerians r the most educated africans but not the most educated immigrants.
Re: Nigerians Are The Most Educated Immigrants In The Us. by Kobojunkie: 1:25pm On May 21, 2008
OMO IBO:

I see where you're coming from. There r different angles to this dialogue and obviously u made your point based on what u see around u. No disrespect to u or anyone who did IT at university level but u don't actually have to go to univeristy to know IT or It related issues. u could do specialist IT courses without going to univeristy. Asians, especially the chinese and the indians are known to develop themselves in this area without going to university.

I know all that and I am sure they do too. But still maintain that we need to consult real stats to know for sure. Majority of those in IT I have met who happen to be indians or chinese are college educated. Even though you can go the other route, it still remains that the industry wants people who are college educated and those happen to have the greater advantage when it comes to advancement and I am sure people in IT know this and the asians and indians know this too. I can not attest for your claim that majority of them are not college educated cause I have only met a handful of those compared to the number of non college educated IT professionals who are americans.  So, we still need to at least consult some record here before we post such as fact. I don't know of Nigerians in IT.   I have only actually met one or two other Nigerians in IT field and I shuttle around a lot to do work.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Athan Achonu Builds ?new Dubai? In Imo State: Says, ?we Have Funding For It / 9th Assembly: APC Leaders Lobby PDP Lawmakers To Support Lawan / Ahmad Lawan Cautions Against Revenge Over Killing Of Gulak

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.