Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,389 members, 7,853,735 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 10:49 PM

Kudirat’s Son Decries Al-mustapha’s Acquittal, Arewa Hails Judgment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kudirat’s Son Decries Al-mustapha’s Acquittal, Arewa Hails Judgment (498 Views)

EFCC To Challenge Fani-kayode’s Acquittal / Remembering Kudirat Abiola, 19 Years After Her Assassination (pictures) / How Sani Abacha Died…AL Mustapha. NOT BY APPLE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Kudirat’s Son Decries Al-mustapha’s Acquittal, Arewa Hails Judgment by Ping411: 6:59pm On Jul 12, 2013
Abdul Abiola, son of late Kudirat Abiola, on Friday decried the Court of Appeal judgment in Lagos which discharged and acquitted Hamza Al-Mustapha, charged with murder of Kudirat.

“I missed my mum as much as a little boy,” he said. “This judgment is like a stab in my heart. As a grown-up, I am no longer bitter, but the problem is that this might continue to happen to other people. This is an injustice in our system and I pray that our leaders should do the right thing.”

Other reactions

Also reacting, Yinka Odumakin, spokesperson of Save Nigeria Group (SNG), described the judgment as a blow to criminal justice in Nigeria.

“After Al-Mustapha was duly convicted by a lower court, it is so painful that he has been acquitted,” he said.

The state Chairman of the Civil Liberties Organisation, Ehi Omokhuale, also described the judgment as unfortunate.

Arewa hails judgment

However, the President, Arewa Youth Consultative Forum, Yerima Shettima, hailed the judgment, saying it has renewed his hope and faith in Nigeria.

“We thank God for the victory as it demonstrates that there is hope in Nigeria,” he said. “This judgment shows that evil will not continue to reign in Nigeria.’’

The man

Al-Mustapha was the Chief Security Officer of General Sani Abacha, military head of state from November 1993 to June 1998. After Abacha’s death, he was arrested and tried for murder and attempted murder.

On 30 January 2012, a Lagos High Court sitting at Igbosere convicted him over the murder of Kudirat Abiola, the wife of the acclaimed winner of the June 12, 1993 presidential election, Moshood Abiola.

He was sentenced on January 30 to death by hanging.

Al-Mustapha was trained as an intelligence operative in the Nigerian Army. He was involved in at least two investigations of coup attempts. His reported conduct of interrogations brought him to the attention of Abacha, who subsequently appointed him his Aide-de-Camp when he was Chief of Army (August 1985 – August 1990).

Al-Mustapha was appointed Chief Security Officer to the Head of State with a Special Strike Force Unit during Abacha’s military regime (17 November 1993 – 8 June 1998).

He reportedly wielded immense influence as most people saw him as the closest advisor of Abacha.

http://telegraphng.com/2013/07/kudirats-son-decries-al-mustaphas-acquittal-arewa-hails-judgment/
Re: Kudirat’s Son Decries Al-mustapha’s Acquittal, Arewa Hails Judgment by Pygru: 7:01pm On Jul 12, 2013
So Unfortunate... angry

(1) (Reply)

Al-mustapha Still In The Military / El Rufai Berates GEJ And His Cohorts / ...“I Am Not As Rich As Don Jazzy” -former Vice President, Atiku Abukakar...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.