Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

Python Challenge. - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Python Challenge. (1003 Views)

The Greatest Programmer On Nairaland / . / Simple Code Challenge: C#, Java, C, C++ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Python Challenge. by Otuabaroku: 1:50pm On Jul 14, 2013
Hi good people. I'm finding it difficult to understand why this code code is not working as expected. The code is meant to get the input from a form filled by the user. The text input which in this case is the subject validates but that of the textarea(content) is not validating.

In other words, when the content is blank and the subject is filled the form submits. However, when the content is filled and the subject is blank, the form does not submit(which is the way it is suppose to be)

The objective of the code is to ensure that both subject and content are filled by the user before submitting to database.

class NewPost(Handler):
def render_newpost(self,subject="",content="",error=""wink:
self.render("newpost.html",subject=subject,content=content,error=error)

def get(self):
self.render_newpost()

def post(self):
subject=self.request.get("subject"wink
content=self.request.get("content"wink

if( content and subject): #why is this portion of the code not behaving itself?
blog=Blog(subject=subject,content=content)
b_key=blog.put()
self.redirect("/blog/%d"%b_key.id())

else:
error="Please, you need to fill the subject and content"
self.render_newpost(subject,content,error)

Thank you for your help.
Re: Python Challenge. by lordZOUGA(m): 8:22pm On Jul 14, 2013
is this tornado framework?
Re: Python Challenge. by Otuabaroku: 8:56pm On Jul 14, 2013
No. It is not tornado framework. I'm working on Google Appengine for python.I used Jinja library to escape html tags embedded in user input during submission(for validation purpose).
Re: Python Challenge. by adewasco2k(m): 9:05pm On Jul 14, 2013
it looks okay with my little python knowledge, i have faced such problem before.

1. check correct spellings (case sensitivity)
2. for your <textarea></textarea> make sure no space in between your opening and closing tags or use a trim.

okay, thats all i know grin

1 Like

Re: Python Challenge. by Otuabaroku: 9:15pm On Jul 14, 2013
Thanks Ade. Exactly, that's why it was driving me crazy as I could not locate where the bug is.Just may be, I need to buy big googles lol.
Re: Python Challenge. by kingscorps(m): 10:28pm On Jul 14, 2013
lol.Everyone makes mistakes in one way or the other. will look at the code for you and get back to you.
Re: Python Challenge. by lordZOUGA(m): 10:12am On Jul 15, 2013
your problem is probably caused by the framework you are using
Re: Python Challenge. by Picomon(m): 1:03pm On Jul 15, 2013
Are you talking about validation?
Re: Python Challenge. by Picomon(m): 1:07pm On Jul 15, 2013
lordZOUGA: your problem is probably caused by the framework you are using

Yeah, I guess you're right. The OP should look into validating of form in the framework documentation he's using.

This stuff is easy to do in Django.
Re: Python Challenge. by Picomon(m): 1:10pm On Jul 15, 2013
Well, @OP you can use javascript to validate user input.
Re: Python Challenge. by Otuabaroku: 5:34am On Jul 16, 2013
Thank you guys. I finally found the cause of the bug. It was in my html file.
Just realised that writing this line of code :<textarea rows="15" cols="80" name="content">
{{content}}
</textarea>
that way, instead of <textarea rows="15" cols="80" name="content">{{content}}</textarea> in a straight line was the cause of the bug.

I'm using this exercise to learn web development in python and Google Appengine. It has been fun. This is the link to the final output:http://ebiblog3.appspot.com/blog
Re: Python Challenge. by adewasco2k(m): 7:38am On Jul 16, 2013
Otuabaroku: Thank you guys. I finally found the cause of the bug. It was in my html file.
Just realised that writing this line of code :<textarea rows="15" cols="80" name="content">
{{content}}
</textarea>
that way, instead of <textarea rows="15" cols="80" name="content">{{content}}</textarea> in a straight line was the cause of the bug.

I'm using this exercise to learn web development in python and Google Appengine. It has been fun. This is the link to the final output:http://ebiblog3.appspot.com/blog
you know i told you to be sure there is no space between your textarea tags...i have once faced the same problem...tabbing the closing textarea tag to the next line gives a space in between and if you dont trim it, if(content) will be true. grin
Re: Python Challenge. by Otuabaroku: 7:43am On Jul 16, 2013
Yes. Ade, you are right. I never expected it was going to be the cause. You know, that big googles helped as well lol.
Re: Python Challenge. by adewasco2k(m): 7:45am On Jul 16, 2013
I am loving python all over again...clean codes wink
Re: Python Challenge. by Otuabaroku: 7:50am On Jul 16, 2013
Yes. Python is really tempting me. I'm original Java programmer. But was forced into python by one of my robotics course which was taught in python, since then, my interest in python has been increasing by day.

(1) (Reply)

Fact: How Do U Search On Google? / How Can One Get Page Info On Internet Explorer / Bootstrap 4 Alpha Released

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.