Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,018 members, 7,814,475 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:30 PM

So Soyinka Worked For IBB - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / So Soyinka Worked For IBB (1470 Views)

How The Igbos Worked For Buhari's Victory -shettima / Why I Dumped Jonathan For IBB, By Dokpesi (Zoning) / Maryam Babangida Killed Dele Giwa & Left Bongos Ikwue (her Ex-hubby) For Ibb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

So Soyinka Worked For IBB by Ikengawo: 2:04am On Jul 15, 2013
I'm just hearing that Wole was a part of IBB's regime
is there any truth to this?
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by launique: 2:17am On Jul 15, 2013
Yes. So true, that was when he was awarded the CFR and that was after he was given the Nobel Peace Prize which his colleagues in Nigerian and African literature said he didn't deserve.

2 Likes

Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by Ikengawo: 2:53am On Jul 15, 2013
what. the. f#2k....
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by Ikengawo: 3:00am On Jul 15, 2013
I don't have anything against him, and i'm a fan of the little of his work i've read. I also think his intelligent assessment of things helps the political discourse in Nigeria, but I don't understand how a guy that spent his life 'protesting' tyranny can work for what was literally the most tyrannical man to and easily the most corrupt man to ever rule Nigeria...

I have nothing against Soyinka, but I'm just discovering this and i'm beginning to wonder...
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by dayokanu(m): 3:07am On Jul 15, 2013
Wikipedia would have helped you
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by launique: 3:08am On Jul 15, 2013
I have nothing against him too. It is also on record that he campaigned fervently both at home and abroad against the the results of the election of Shehu Shagari in the early Eighties.
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by omongbatic: 3:12am On Jul 15, 2013
He was fired for stealing Road Safety money
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by koruji(m): 3:29am On Jul 15, 2013
IBB did not earn the names he is called for nothing.
He took everyone for a very long ride, including the United States.
He promoted himself as the epitome of the "new" crop of African rulers.
You need to go watch the video of his speech at the UN.
IBB was, and is still, capable of presenting the most honest and persuasive arguments,
...while at the very same time planning the complete opposite.

Many jumped on the IBB ship only to find out too late that the man was a complete fraud.
He tarnished many of high repute for life.

We knew that Prof. Soyinka was a political animal so he could have fallen under IBB's smooth talk.
However, IBB went as far as to rope-in Tai Solarin with the promise of letting him run a People's Bank - which ended up been one of IBB's strawman policies to quell strong critics.

Ikengawo: I'm just hearing that Wole was a part of IBB's regime

3 Likes

Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by Nobody: 4:57am On Jul 15, 2013
I will add;
Professor Soyinka did not collect salary from the Government for.his work in FRSC. It was an unpaid position.
He took this position due mainly to the excessive death of his students and staff on those deathtraps.

4 Likes

Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by Nobody: 5:00am On Jul 15, 2013
Ikengawo: I don't have anything against him, and i'm a fan of the little of his work i've read. I also think his intelligent assessment of things helps the political discourse in Nigeria, but I don't understand how a guy that spent his life 'protesting' tyranny can work for what was literally the most tyrannical man to and easily the most corrupt man to ever rule Nigeria...

I have nothing against Soyinka, but I'm just discovering this and i'm beginning to wonder...

Make your own research.
If you listen to faceless people including me, you will be misled.
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by Nobody: 7:11am On Jul 15, 2013
Two-faced ppl like janus the roman god!!
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by Nobody: 7:14am On Jul 15, 2013
Darui:

Make your own research.
If you listen to faceless people including me, you will be misled.
ShaRrrrrrrap there. He worked for him
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by bloggernaija: 7:30am On Jul 15, 2013
Can nairaland get rid of all these propagandist who are destroying these forum ,with baseless accusation from their paymasters.
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by omenka(m): 8:20am On Jul 15, 2013
Ooops!! Didn't know the Association of Nairaland Perpertual Retards were having their congress today. Sorry guys... If I had seen a soldier by d door I wldnt have stumbled in. Didn't Patience send u guys security??
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by samilo88(m): 8:20am On Jul 15, 2013
Darui: I will add;
Professor Soyinka did not collect salary from the Government for.his work in FRSC. It was an unpaid position.
He took this position due mainly to the excessive death of his students and staff on those deathtraps.
Bull sh*t.. Only the most credulous persons would belive that nonsense..

2 Likes

Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by Mowire: 9:52am On Jul 15, 2013
Only proves that many of you guys are less informed than you think on many issues on which you contribute.
Be informed also that IBB was widely loved in this country until he bungled the best thing he ever did on June 12, 1993. His regime's economic policies are what the country is still running to date; only that they're being abused.
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by JonnyWaka316: 9:54am On Jul 15, 2013
Avoid armed robbers & traffic jams!

Lagos JonnyWaka, a FREE new mobile app that will tell you where there is traffic jam, accidents, flood, armed robbery, etc.

How to avoid heavy traffic with Lagos JonnyWaka & Abuja Jonnywaka.

1. Download it FREE on to your phone from Google play store or BB app world.

2. Register with your name/email.

3. Begin to enjoy traffic reports on incidents, like roads jammed, accidents, flood, etc.

4. You can also update traffic incidents for others to see.

Search for 'Lagos JonnyWaka' from Google play store or BB app world and avoid traffic jams and armed robbers.

www.jonnywaka.com

Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by ogb5(m): 11:05am On Jul 15, 2013
Soyinka did not work for IBB, he worked for Nigeria.
Setting up the Federal Road Safety commission was a Service to the nation then.

They were not carrying guns neither were they taking bribes then.
Their effort brought road safety consciousness to Nigerians.
Many people gave their services freely then as road Marshals, helping to reduce carnage on the high way

He resigned when the govt decided to arm the Road safety officials.
Some people requested for the Road safety officials to be armed because some motorists were killing them intentionally instead of obeying them, Soyinka felt if they were armed, they will abuse the new found power.
Babangida disagreed so Wole had to quit.

And true to Wole's fears, road marchals now see themselves in league with Nigeria police, forcing people on the highway to give them bribe because they now have guns.

Disclaimer: Am not a supporter of Wole Soyinka against madam Umbrerra. Just trying to state facts

2 Likes

Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by launique: 11:21am On Jul 15, 2013
Soyinka is a hypocrite
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by Nobody: 12:59pm On Jul 15, 2013
la_unique: Yes. So true, that was when he was awarded the CFR and that was after he was given the Nobel Peace Prize which his colleagues in Nigerian and African literature said he didn't deserve.
I used to think Billionaire was the most f00lish, I never knew you're. Could you tell me which colleagues of WS said he didn't deserve the Nobel Prize.
The only post given to WS, as far as I can remember, was the chairmanship of the FRSC. This is understood because WS single-handedly started road safety in the University of Ife (now OAU) in the early 1980s, when according to him, he discovered that his colleagues, friends and students were being killed by reckless drivers. The road safety was taken over initially by Governor Bola Ige of Oyo State.
You need to work on yourself. Since your President's wife said rubbish against WS you've been digging into your archive to find his 'short comings.'

1 Like

Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by Bensonite: 1:19pm On Jul 15, 2013
I thought you people like asking google for everything this days.
Anyway, he served as head FRSC during IBB regime.
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by 0monnakoda: 3:28pm On Jul 15, 2013
He set up the FRSC so if that counts as working for IBB then yes he did but that is very different from being part of the regime.
Are the current FRSC,NDLEA,NAFDAC etc chairmen part of GEJ's regime
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jul 15, 2013
So all these GEJ-PEJ rabid attack dogs have to start looking for how to rubbish the Prof.....you better start digging deeper because the Prof will soon hit all of you again in a very clinical way...

Una never jam...you think the Prof is looking for favor the way you low lifers are looking for favor from politicians?
Re: So Soyinka Worked For IBB by mafiffle: 3:57pm On Aug 01, 2013
ilugunboy: So all these GEJ-PEJ rabid attack dogs have to start looking for how to rubbish the Prof.....you better start digging deeper because the Prof will soon hit all of you again in a very clinical way...

Una never jam...you think the Prof is looking for favor the way you low lifers are looking for favor from politicians?

if he is not looking for favor, why his selective activism. Wisdom is known to come with age. but in WS case, we are disappointed his case is in the opposite dirction.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos Longest Serving Rep Wants 5th Term, Says 'I Pray Five Times Daily' / Nasarawa Crisis: We Were Left At Mercy Of Ombatse - Survivors / Video Of Alhaji Lamidi Adedibu Discussn His Brand Of Politics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.