Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,748 members, 7,809,861 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Some Facts About African You Don't Know - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Facts About African You Don't Know (3444 Views)

10 Beautiful African You Should Know / If You Don't Have 500,000naira, You CANT Marry From Nsukka (pic Proof) / Prince Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi: Things You Don't Know About The New Ooni Of Ife (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Some Facts About African You Don't Know by Vicotex(m): 6:49pm On Jul 18, 2013
I saw this post at the FP www.nairaland.com/1362564/10-things-ghanaians-know-nigerians , so I decided to create my own.

Africa is the most populous and the only black continent. Despite the delayed development in the continent, Africa is an interesting continent to visit and in it abounds lots of talents. There are a lot of known and interesting information but there are much more unknown facts about Africa that are worth mentioning.

1. Second Largest Continent
Africa is the second largest continent in the world. The second largest in both land mass and population. It covers about a fifth of the earthÂ’s total land area. The land mass is about 30.2 million km (11.7 million sq mi) and this includes adjacent islands, it covers six percent of the EarthÂ’s total surface area.

2. Africa Was Once Joined To Other Continents
One interesting fact about Africa that will amaze you is that long before humans were around (the early Mesozoic Era), Africa was joined to the other continents in a massive continent called Pangaea. Over millions of years this huge continent broke apart shaping the world landscape as we know it today in what has been referred to the continental drift. This was at first a speculation and was first put proposed by Abraham Ortelius in 1596. Later on, the concept was independently (and more fully) developed in 1912 by Alfred Wegener and the theory of continental drift was superseded by the theory of plate tectonics, which builds upon the previous continental drift and better explains the former concept.
3. Africa is The Home of the Human Species

Another interesting fact about Africa is that according to information provided by the Human
Origins, early humans first migrated out of Africa
into Asia probably between 2 million and 1.8
million years ago. They entered Europe somewhat later, between 1.5 million and 1 million years. Species of modern humans populated many parts of the world much later. For instance, people first came to Australia probably within the past 60,000 years and to the Americas within the past 30,000 years or so. The beginnings of agriculture and the rise of the first civilizations occurred within the past 12,000 years.

Source: www.answersafrica.com/10-interesting-facts-about-africa.html
Re: Some Facts About African You Don't Know by Vicotex(m): 6:50pm On Jul 18, 2013
Re: Some Facts About African You Don't Know by bigt2(m): 7:31pm On Jul 18, 2013
I guess this solves a little of the reason why there are whites. The write-up to me suggests that human beings originated from africa. If it is so, that means those that travel faaaaaar got the change in complexion from the change in climate. Nice one.
Front page pls....... cool
Re: Some Facts About African You Don't Know by Emmyk(m): 9:01am On Jul 22, 2013
Nice one. I read about the Continental drift on Microsoft Encarta. And that all the continents will join back, millions of years ahead...

(1) (Reply)

The Great War Of The 15th Century / Ritual Prayers With Nzu, Myrrh And Frankincense / 2021 Edition Of Umuagu Community New Yam Festival Set For Oct 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.