Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,165 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. (6120 Views)

Kaduna Govt. To Acquire Peugeot, Targets 90,000 Cars Yearly.. / Give Buhari Time - Gowon Urges Nigerians / Insecurity: Gowon Urges Christians To Pray (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Handsomeemmy(m): 5:18am On Jul 19, 2013
THE last may not have been heard of the Nigerian Civil War, as the Head of State and Commander-in-Chief at that time, Gen. Yakubu Gowon, has asked the Federal Government to reopen and investigate the abuse of power committed during and after the war in order “to do justice to the aggrieved.”
Gowon spoke Thursday during the launch of the book, The Tragedy of Victory, written by the civil war Chief of Staff of the 3rd Marine Commando, Brig.-Gen. Godwin Alabai-Isama (rtd).
Gowon, who wrote the forward to the book, said it is a “loud statement of the need to rectify what appears to smack ofinjustice perpetrated against the otherwise innocent.”
According to him, “this is not just an Army problem; it is national malaise thatcauses people in authority to use the weight of their office and authority to hurt perceived personal ‘enemies’.
“With the firm establishment of democratic governance in Nigeria, wrongs done under the military and civilauthorities as a result of abuse of powercan and should be reopened and investigated to do justice to the aggrieved.”
He commended the author, who he said “has unobtrusively posed the question whether anyone, however highly-placed, should get away with injustice deliberately perpetrated against the innocent, even under cover of national security.”
Meanwhile, the book reviewer, Kunle Ajibade, said the launch did not only coincide with the birthday of South Africa’s former President, Nelson Mandela, but that the chief presenter, former Minister of Defence, Gen. Theophilus Danjuma (rtd), was one of the actors the author attacked in the book.
In his review entitled “Combatant Chronicle of the Nigeria/Biafra War,” Ajibade said The Tragedy of Victory has rendered former President Olusegun Obasanjo’s memoirs on the civil war, My Command, a “distortion of facts” and “tapestry of inaccuracies.”
Stating that “Obasanjo lied to massage his ego,” he described Alabi-Isama’s memoirs as a book of strategy and military campaign.
Nevertheless, the author, Alabi-Isama, said that two reasons motivated him to write the book. These, he claimed, were the lie that Obasanjo told in his war account, My Command, and the library ofwar photographs, which was preserved by his mother many years after the war.Obasanjo, he said, demonised everyone and ignored the heroic performance of especially the women who helped to end the war earlier than expected.
At the launch were Lt.-Gen. Danjuma, Commodore Ebitu Ukiwe (rtd), Brig.-Gen.Mobolaji Johnson (rtd), Lt.-Gen. Alani Akinrinade (rtd), Prof. Bola Akinterinwa and royal fathers, among others.

Source: http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/index.php/national-news/127497-gowon-urges-govt-to-address-war-time-abuse-of-power-cases
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Tolexander: 5:30am On Jul 19, 2013
These, he claimed, were the lie
that Obasanjo told in his war
account, My Command, and the
library ofwar photographs,
which was preserved by his
mother many years after the
war
obasanjo's mother is ACM10's grandma in the village or what?

1 Like

Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Handsomeemmy(m): 5:41am On Jul 19, 2013
Tolexander: obasanjo's mother is ACM10's grandma in the village or what?[/b]
The author was speaking about his own mother not Obasanjos'

2 Likes

Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Nobody: 5:58am On Jul 19, 2013
Shut up Gowon! There is no need opening old wounds. Let bygone be bygone and move on from our bitter past. The only reason some are still agrieved by the war is because government after governments have failed to lift people out poverty. If you had all provided basic amenities and good paying jobs for our fellow citizens, no one will be talking about old war in 2013. The truth to the matter is that; goverment has failed the people they ought to be serving. People are hurting so bad to the extent that have lost hope in government.

If government can provide basic amenities and good paying jobs, complain about 40 year old way will be forgotten.

5 Likes

Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Tolexander: 6:21am On Jul 19, 2013
Handsomeemmy: The author was speaking about his own mother not Obasanjos'
ok!

Is the author ACM10's father.
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by ACM10: 6:25am On Jul 19, 2013
Tolexander: obasanjo's mother is ACM10's grandma in the village or what?

Why did you schizophrenic skip your med? See your life now.

4 Likes

Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Tolexander: 6:42am On Jul 19, 2013
ACM10:

Why did you schizophrenic skip your med? See your life now.
skipping my med isn't your concern. Answer my question.
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Handsomeemmy(m): 7:53am On Jul 19, 2013
This is not just right, most we always insult ourselves to drive home our point? If we are criticizing the leaders of today for being arrongant , i wonder what types of leaders we will become when it get to our time.
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by ACM10: 8:08am On Jul 19, 2013
Tolexander: skipping my med isn't your concern. Answer my question.

How can I answer question posed by you, a disoriented schizophrenic?

3 Likes

Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Tolexander: 8:28am On Jul 19, 2013
ACM10:

How can I answer question posed by you, a disoriented schizophrenic?
stop reasoning with the white matter of your CNS.

You've gone to your grandma's village since when only God knows and have been unable to bring what you went to bring. Who is now schizophrenic?
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by talksankey: 10:11am On Jul 19, 2013
Handsomeemmy: This is not just right, most we always insult ourselves to drive home our point? If we are criticizing the leaders of today for being arrongant , i wonder what types of leaders we will become when it get to our time.

Tell them oh! It was a war for Godsake,terrible things were done by both sides
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by OkikiOluwa1(m): 10:14am On Jul 19, 2013
Many old wounds still to be opened on that civil war.
[b]Last Bullet:[b/]
There's more to be told Gowon himself, Danjuma, OBJ & others.
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 19, 2013
It's only in a country like Nigeria that a man like Gowon will still be walking freely after committing atrocious crimes during the civil war and still have the guts to talk about crimes committed... Please pray tell, crimes by WHO? The man is simply senile and demented! He should be at The Hague by now with his sorry self behind a six by six space!

4 Likes

Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by eldoc2003(m): 10:17am On Jul 19, 2013
I agree with Gowon on this, everyone has a right to justice
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Handsomeemmy(m): 10:21am On Jul 19, 2013
talksankey:
Tell them oh! It was a war for Godsake,terrible things were done by both sides
eldoc2003: I agree with Gowon on this, everyone has a right to justice
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Stylaay(m): 10:25am On Jul 19, 2013
To address the injustice of the civil war. The nigerian government should be sued in an international court to force them to pay back every citizen of the biafra, monies they criminally stole from them. How do you confisticate monies of innocent victims of a war? They forced my grandfather to premature death. A man that had worked so hard and had over 15million pounds before the war was given just 20pounds by the rogue gowan govt after the war. Nansense

1 Like

Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 19, 2013
josh4ever: It's only in a country like Nigeria that a man like Gowon will still be walking freely after committing atrocious crimes during the civil war and still have the guts to talk about crimes committed... Please pray tell, crimes by WHO? The man is simply senile and demented! He should be at The Hague by now with his sorry self behind a six by six space!
ojukwu's carcass should be extracted and taken to hague for leading 3 million ibos to their early grave

4 Likes

Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Abali1(m): 10:33am On Jul 19, 2013
Stylaay: To address the injustice of the civil war. The nigerian government should be sued in an international court to force them to pay back every citizen of the biafra, monies they criminally stole from them. How do you confisticate monies of innocent victims of a war? They forced my grandfather to premature death. A man that had worked so hard and had over 15million pounds before the war was given just 20pounds by the rogue gowan govt after the war. Nansense
Ehm ehh! sorry is your Grand Father by any chance Louis Ojukwu?
@OP,
Gowon is indirectly indicting his Government. He is calling for a probe of his administration. I would prefer that Gowon writes a book, telling Nigerians what actually went wrong with Aburi Accord and why he reneged on it.
I really want to understand why an agreement taking in Ghana will be reneged on getting back to Nigeria. It reminds me of June 12 Annulment and IBB's silence.

1 Like

Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by debetmx(m): 11:12am On Jul 19, 2013
ayswags: ojukwu's carcass should be extracted and taken to hague for leading 3 million ibos to their early grave

From Adewale Ademoyega's book "Why We Struck" Page 196

" Later on, after I Had been released to join in the struggle, I realised ojukwu knew what he was talking about. He knew that he was ill-prepared for the fight and if it came, he had nothing to send against the enemy except the bodies of his own citizens - no guns, no armour, no planes, no ships - only flesh and flesh - what a suicide plot, or was it a reverse pogrom? Did this have to be so?"
ayswags: ojukwu's carcass should be extracted and taken to hague for leading 3 million ibos to their early grave

" Later on, after I Had been released to join in the struggle, I realised ojukwu knew what he was talking about. He knew that he was ill-prepared for the fight and if it came, he had nothing to send against the enemy except the bodies of his own citizens - no guns, no armour, no planes, no ships - only flesh and flesh - what a suicide plot, or was it a reverse pogrom? Did this have to be so?"
?"

2 Likes

Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by launique: 11:21am On Jul 19, 2013
Finally, the great Chinua Achebe has been vindicated. The father of modern African literature has been vindicated at last.

8 Likes

Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 19, 2013

Same with awolowo, Do you agree? Both of their carcass should be extracted and sent to the ICC

13 Likes

Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by DerideGull(m): 11:59am On Jul 19, 2013
debetmx:

?"

The above post is aftermath of silly comments patented by the trolls who are intellectually challenged.
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by debetmx(m): 11:59am On Jul 19, 2013
gboss4sure:

Same with awolowo, Do you agree? Both of their carcass should be extracted and sent to the ICC

What was or is Awolowo's crime?
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by emmalexabl(m): 12:05pm On Jul 19, 2013
debetmx:

u know nah....that suicide tinz.
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by DerideGull(m): 12:07pm On Jul 19, 2013
The victory secured for Nigeria has created unimaginable number of loudmouthed suckers and favor-seeking hack writers, Alabi-Isama inclusive, who tend to arrogate err of personality to their silly images.
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jul 19, 2013
debetmx:

What was or is ojukwus crime?
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 19, 2013
That unriped war, unfortunately is what we this present generation(be you a ibo, hausa or yoruba) are paying dearly for in this charade call Nigeria. What a great lamentation! It is the fathers that ate a sour grape, but its the children teeth that are now set on edge.
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by ACM10: 12:24pm On Jul 19, 2013
Tolexander: stop reasoning with the white matter of your CNS.

You've gone to your grandma's village since when only God knows and have been unable to bring what you went to bring. Who is now schizophrenic?

I pity your handlers. They must be stressed out now that you are in your manic episode. How I wish you can roll back to your lucid period. Too bad.
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by martinseme: 12:25pm On Jul 19, 2013
All those who fought and were defeated in all the world wars are not lamenting till date but have moved on to higher development..igbos should forget the past and forgive all and move on to more important issues like how to get the largest chunk of the national cake. lets leave the old men who perpetrated the war to continue living in their old past....those old days were really times of absurd brutish brutality.
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by debetmx(m): 12:30pm On Jul 19, 2013
emmalexabl:

u know nah....that suicide tinz.

He committed suicide in the presence of your grand-fathers?

I cant wait to get my hands on that book, wasted my money on chinua achebe's ibo ego massaging book
Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by DerideGull(m): 12:34pm On Jul 19, 2013
martinseme: All those who fought and were defeated in all the world wars are not lamenting till date but have moved on to higher development..igbos should forget the past and forgive all and move on to more important issues like how to get the largest chunk of the national cake. lets leave the old men who perpetrated the war to continue living in their old past....those old days were really times of absurd brutish brutality.

The only succor out of unfortunate Nigeria/Biafra civil war is disintegration of the cesspit called Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Gowon Urges Govt To Address War-time Abuse Of Power Cases. by debetmx(m): 12:42pm On Jul 19, 2013
gboss4sure: What was or is ojukwus crime?

Did this have to be so? Of course, he knew he could run away with his family members dressed like a woman.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

''we Stole Your Money And Gave You 20 Pounds'' A Yoruba Caller On Radio Biafra / President Obama Breaking His Fast At White House (pic) / BREAKING NEWS - Audu Wins Kogi Governorship Election - Thisday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.