Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,446 members, 7,816,028 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:59 PM

Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law (1161 Views)

APC Rejects Benue South Rerun Result, Protest To INEC Office (photos) / Massive Protest Ongoing In Yenagoa By The APC / Anxiety Across Nigeria As Cases Seeking Buhari’s Disqualification Hold Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 20, 2013
Following the adoption by the
Senate, of the controversial child
bride, aggrieved citizens have
planned to stage protests in
different states today.
Some of the states include;
Lagos, Abuja, Ondo, Port
Harcourt, Kaduna and Ogun
States, amongst others.
The protest was designed to get
people to sign a petition, with
the estimate of two million
people, that would be submitted
to the State Houses of Assembly,
chronicling the grouses of the
aggrieved persons on the
proposed law which many have
termed as bad.
In a statement made available to
THISDAY by one of the
organosers, Japheth Omojuwa,
he said the protest would be
more of petition signing to
register their grouse against the
law which seeks to permit
female minors to be married off
to older males.
Tagged "ChildNotBride" , the rally
will hold at the state Civic Center,
Moscow Road, Port Harcourt
between 10am and 2pm and on
Sunday at CIWA Catholic Church,
House on the Rock and Heritage
House by 10am.
In Abuja, he said the rally will
hold at Unity Fountain, Near
Transcorp Hilton, Maitama, while
in Lagos, between about 9am
and 12pm, different rallies would
be held at
Ojeez Restaurant, National
Stadium Surulere, Alausa Park,
opposite Lagos State Governor’s
Office, Ikeja.
Others are the Palms Shopping
Mall, Lekki, New African Shrine,
Agidingbi, Ikeja and
Union Bank, Alaba Junction. Oja-
Alaba axis.
In Ibadan, the rally was billed for
9am to 12pm at Mokola behind
Group medical hospital, Press
correspondent building, while in
Akure, it was billed for 12pm at
Adegbemile Cultural Centre,
Akure.
Also, in Kaduna, between the
hours of 9am to 12pm, people
are expected to throng the
Lugard Hall Front Gate, to sign
the petition.
Also speaking, the CEO of Rise
Networks, Toyosi Akerele, said it
was very unfortunate that the
Senate had okayed underage
women for marriage in Nigeria
She said, "This is the most absurd
thing any sane government could
ever do. With the teeming
number of teenage pregnancies
and the social and health hazards
that we are already battling with,
one wonders if our law makers
are really thinking at all. Have
they heard about obstructed
labour due to small pelvis of the
“child” mother?
"Have they heard about Obstetric
fistula that results from
prolonged obstructed labour that
makes the girl leak urine
continuously and makes her a
social outcast? Do they know that
many of these “children” are
divorced and driven out of their
husbands’ homes because of this
malady?
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by Nobody: 7:58am On Jul 20, 2013
Sometimes I wonder if those so-called legislators are there to represent their constituencies or themselves.

Silly old fools from the north. Leave the kids & face your wives 'HE-GOATS'
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by REMMEI(m): 8:00am On Jul 20, 2013
Always put your source to spiced up the the info..'tis gonna look cooked up by you next time if you don't..

@topic..pedophile is a psychological disorder and it's so clear that 90% of our psychotic senators are suffering from this deviant behaviour..women please rise up and safe your future..if you support this abusive act you can keep mute
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by donem: 8:02am On Jul 20, 2013
Nice move.
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by Nobody: 8:07am On Jul 20, 2013
The new style. Operation catch them young

1 Like

Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by stanech: 8:10am On Jul 20, 2013
I don't see why we should make a big deal about this. Anyone who wants to give his/her child out @ a very tender age should do that and anyone who doesn't want to shouldn't. Kini big deal.
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by Nobody: 8:11am On Jul 20, 2013
stanech: I don't see why we should make a big deal about this. Anyone who wants to give his/her child out @ a very tender age should do that and anyone who doesn't want to shouldn't. Kini big deal.
angry
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by stanech: 8:15am On Jul 20, 2013
I will not allow anyone near my kid or my relation but I still will not stop anyone who wants his/her kid to be exploited na him sabi.... But what I am against is when people take children against their will or the parents will. Na my own point of view be that ooo
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by Nobody: 8:19am On Jul 20, 2013
They want to use their anacondas to destroy the urinary tracts of those children.

Olorun ma jë.
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by jhydebaba(m): 8:29am On Jul 20, 2013
These Senators are just a bunch of fulls.

Life Pension, underage marriage etc reign supreme in their mind giving Nigeria's current state.
cry cry cry
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by Scarpon(m): 8:32am On Jul 20, 2013
I don't support it
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by Nobody: 8:52am On Jul 20, 2013
stanech: I don't see why we should make a big deal about this. Anyone who wants to give his/her child out @ a very tender age should do that and anyone who doesn't want to shouldn't. Kini big deal.
now I don't care if banned but....sir you're a m.oron.

1 Like

Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by traffickz(m): 8:54am On Jul 20, 2013
I hopE. We proceed to the national assembly on any legislative sitting day.
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by mekaboy(m): 8:55am On Jul 20, 2013

You don't understand the economic situation of the pple. With the level and poverty and hunger, with jst a few thousands a lot of families especially in the north will give up their daughters at a tender age.
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by Jakumo(m): 8:57am On Jul 20, 2013
Severe and permanent medical damage can occur when a CHILD is rhaped by an adult and made pregnant. The pelvic bone of a child is not yet large enough to accommodate the passage of a baby, and so MASSIVE bone and nerve damage can occur, such that the child thereafter loses the ability to retain urine, whereby the urine leaks continuously and uncontrolably, for the rest of that person's life. Worse still,PERMANENT leg paralysis can also result when a child goes into labor, due to compressive nerve damage that can occur with the passage of a baby through an under-developed pelvic bone.

The child molesters of Northern Nigeria should be identified as the predatory zexual offenders and serial paedophiles that they are, such that they will be BARRED from travel to the civilized nations of the world, and perhaps even subjected to international arrest warrants for advocating crimes against children. These animals are the scum of the Earth, and should be caged accordingly

1 Like

Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by stanech: 8:58am On Jul 20, 2013
smartchoice:

Really? That's all you can say? Ok I won't bring my self so low as to trade words all I can say is that your senators have spoken if you no like am go hug transformer
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by Nobody: 9:04am On Jul 20, 2013
stanech:

Really? That's all you can say? Ok I won't bring my self so low as to trade words all I can say is that your senators have spoken if you no like am go hug transformer
Your senators spoke not mine! That means the state can't protect children from s.exual vandalism after working assiduously towards impoverishing the parents! And here you are clapping and rejoicing over that!
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by stanech: 9:11am On Jul 20, 2013
mekaboy:

You don't understand the economic situation of the pple. With the level and poverty and hunger, with jst a few thousands a lot of families especially in the north will give up their daughters at a tender age.

That's the point I am trying to make. In this country we neglet the important things and run after shadows. We should try our best to reduce the level of poverty in the country rather than run after some stupid marriage law.
Read sometime ago that a place in ibadan u get sex for 100naira we should protest that these senators are wasteful and using our money to sign stupid laws rather than improve the life of the people. Is it because the issue was brought up recently in the senate? This barbaric acts has been arround as far as I can remember Come to hausa quaters in Asaba and see 8years old girls being brought in as bride. So channel your grieviances properly. We need good governance first.
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by stanech: 9:18am On Jul 20, 2013
smartchoice:
Your senators spoke not mine! That means the state can't protect children from s.exual vandalism after working assiduously towards impoverishing the parents! And here you are clapping and rejoicing over that!
First they are senators of the FRN and I suppose you are a Nigerian,
Secondly, The state have never protected them from the beginning because child marriages has been arround and was only made news when a senator attempted it so why the double standard.
Lastly we should fight to reduce poverty rather than make much noise about this stupid marriage laws...
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by drnoel: 9:19am On Jul 20, 2013
Oh! Its a big deal. U dont know the implication of that law in our nigerian setting. It means that, If a girl toddler is kidnapped and forced into marriage. The parents won't be able to prosecute the man cos she is now adult unless the said child can summon courage to speak out. Problem is she won't have that courage cos they must have threatened her with death. Or families who have serious debt issues can comfortably sell their daughters to the highest bidders who would definitely buy cos of their paedophilic tendencies. Its a serious matter.

1 Like

Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by SLIDEwaxie(m): 9:20am On Jul 20, 2013
smartchoice:
how is he a fool? He made a valid point.

Some people are crowned with religion, and their religion supports it. So, whether the law is passed or not, no one will be forced to give out his daughter unless by volition.

But we all knw this bill won't survive. Just like the gay rights didn't. There are still more sane people in Nigeria
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by stanech: 9:22am On Jul 20, 2013
P.s I am not in support of these senators. But there are better issues on ground that we should takle first. Child marraiage na today?
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by Nobody: 9:23am On Jul 20, 2013
stanech:
First they are senators of the FRN and I suppose you are a Nigerian,
Secondly, The state have never protected them from the beginning because child marriages has been arround and was only made news when a senator attempted it so why the double standard.
Lastly we should fight to reduce poverty rather than make much noise about this stupid marriage laws...
the real poverty is in you people's heads and mind! Just like you....can't picture myself working together on anything in any form with a paedophilia! Never!
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by stanech: 9:23am On Jul 20, 2013
SLIDE waxie: how is he a fool? He made a valid point.

Some people are crowned with religion, and their religion supports it. So, whether the law is passed or not, no one will be forced to give out his daughter unless by volition.

But we all knw this bill won't survive. Just like the gay rights didn't. There are still more sane people in Nigeria

Thank You ohh
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by Nobody: 9:24am On Jul 20, 2013
stanech: P.s I am not in support of these senators. But there are better issues on ground that we should takle first. Child marraiage na today?
Yes you are in earnest support!
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by stanech: 9:26am On Jul 20, 2013
smartchoice:
the real poverty is in you people's heads and mind! Just like you....can't picture myself working together on anything in any form with a paedophilia! Never!

Oga once again I will not insult you but u can still use the transformer. If you like work with peodo if you like no work with am that na ur headache.
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by Nobody: 9:30am On Jul 20, 2013
stanech:

Oga once again I will not insult you but u can still use the transformer. If you like work with peodo if you like no work with am that na ur headache.
you can't cos I know you. . .
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by stanech: 9:34am On Jul 20, 2013
smartchoice:
Yes you are in earnest support!

Will never support such act but then again I have to respect someone elses choice abi no be am be free world wey we dey talk?

It is like the gay stuff I won't support but I won't condemn its a free workd oga

If we must have peace we must learn to live our life and respect other peoples way of living. You may not like it but then again its not your life...Good day
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by FOLYKAZE(m): 9:35am On Jul 20, 2013

You are a complete daft......so where is the child's right when parent like you makes a stupid decision without the child consent.?

2 Likes

Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by Pataki: 9:36am On Jul 20, 2013
Why is the so-called first lady silent? I would have thought, she would associate with some of these group and speak up for this girls.

Why also is the daughter of that murderer and thief - Abacha equally silent? Foolish women!

Every girl deserves to enjoy her childhood and teenage years and not be subject to the bondage of marriage from a pedophile old sod!
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by stanech: 9:37am On Jul 20, 2013
smartchoice:
you can't cos I know you. . .
. I don't think so
Re: Massive Protest To Hold Today In Lagos,abuja, Other States Over Child Bridal Law by Nobody: 9:38am On Jul 20, 2013

(1) (2) (Reply)

"Jonathan Sets March 2013 Deadline For Complete Rehabilitation Of All Refineries / The Corruption In Nigerian Police Force / Why Do We Refer To Our Traffic Wardens As 'yellow Fever'?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.