Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,124 members, 7,818,374 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:50 PM

Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? (3279 Views)

Should Tithe Be Based On Gross Or Net Income? / Does The Bible Actually Say Christians Must Tithe? / Can Tithe Be Given To Someone In Need?. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by presiade(m): 9:58pm On Jul 20, 2013
Malachi 3:10a says: 'Bring you all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat(food) in My HOUSE...
Psalms 68:5 says: '(God) A FATHER to the FATHERLESS, and a judge (defender) of the WIDOW, IS God in His holy HABITATION (HOUSE).
James 1:27 says: 'Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the FATHERLESS (AND MOTHERLESS- ORPHANS) and WIDOWS in their affliction [NEEDS]...
By all the foregoing scriptures, can we conclude that paying Tithes is not limited to church; tithescould also be taken to a motherless homes and to widows so that there would be much food in God's house (since God is the Father and defender of Orphans and widows respectivelym their houses must therefore, be God's) You get the logic?
NOTE: I want a serious discussion on this topic not just vain babbles.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by Brimmie(m): 1:49am On Jul 21, 2013
U Dey Find Pastors Trouble Shey!??
Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by presiade(m): 3:36pm On Jul 21, 2013
^No now... Just want it to be discussed cheesy
Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by donpope1(m): 8:44pm On Jul 21, 2013
True talk
Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by truthislight: 9:03pm On Jul 21, 2013
presiade: Malachi 3:10a says: 'Bring you all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat(food) in My HOUSE...

Your argument is good, but i want to help exposed one fraud from this tithe exponents.

The "robbing" of Malachai is not accusing the nation of Israel as a whole, but the Levi that where stealing from the things in the temple and using the blind animals for sacrifice and even ignore the alter.(read the book of Malachai whole)

Was it the common Israelite that go into the temple to offer sacrifices in the alter of God ? No, but the Levite does.

If you take time to read the book of Malachai from chapter 1 to 3, it becomes very clear that it was to the levites that God was angry with.

Reading Malachai 3 verse 1 to 3.
we see in verse 3 God sending the messenger of the Covanant to refine the temple so that an acceptable sacrifice can be offered in the temple.

The book of Malachai is critical of the priest and not the nation as a whole, but modern days tithe collectors have twisted it to look as though it was reference to the nation refusing to pay their tithe an as such the nation was cursed or will be curse.

Fraud!

To the other part of your post, the truth is that christians are not to pay tithe as did the Jews, but to give voluntarily to God.

Peace.

2 Likes

Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by mcfynest(m): 9:15pm On Jul 21, 2013
presiade: Malachi 3:10a says: 'Bring you all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat(food) in My HOUSE...
Psalms 68:5 says: '(God) A FATHER to the FATHERLESS, and a judge (defender) of the WIDOW, IS God in His holy HABITATION (HOUSE).
James 1:27 says: 'Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the FATHERLESS (AND MOTHERLESS- ORPHANS) and WIDOWS in their affliction [NEEDS]...
By all the foregoing scriptures, can we conclude that paying Tithes is not limited to church; tithescould also be taken to a motherless homes and to widows so that there would be much food in God's house (since God is the Father and defender of Orphans and widows respectivelym their houses must therefore, be God's) You get the logic?
Thanks.

Romans 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. 14:3 Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand. 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. 14:7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself. 14:8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by presiade(m): 9:21am On Jul 24, 2013
^So, what you're saying is that it is subjective

1 Like

Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by Dereformer(m): 3:24pm On Jul 24, 2013
Thanks.

Bro. take your tithe to the church and ENSURE YOU EAT THEREOF as instructed by God in Deuteronomy 14: 22-26

So long as the present pastors do not allow one to eat of his tithe, I will never pay. I will rather give it to the motherless.

1 Like

Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by presiade(m): 3:46pm On Jul 24, 2013
I grab your point, but is it really possible to eat of one's tithe in the church setting of today (especially in Nigeria)? cheesy
Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by Dereformer(m): 4:02pm On Jul 24, 2013
presiade: I grab your point, but is it really possible to eat of one's tithe in the church setting of today (especially in Nigeria)? cheesy

Yes, tithe MOST not be in money. If you read the passage I gave above, you will notice that the instruction is buy anything with the money, apples, meat, oranges, fried fish, bread anything. Bring it to the church, or you can buy those within the church premises, but ensure that it is share and you take your own.

Look, this can be practiced, but pastors these days will not tell you the truth especially where their pockets are involved.

Imagine Prophet Urbert Angel saying God told him if you don't pay tithe you go to hell.

My question is, why is it that Jesus never taught about tithing, but he mentioned and monitored normal church offering?
Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 26, 2013
YES
The Bible says "brings all tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple..."-NLT. So all tithes must first be paid into the church treasury/store then it is the duties of the church to apportion/share it to the workers/pastors, helpless, fatherless, widows,etc. And as for those the instruction is given; verse 9 of the same chapter reads "you are under a curse, for your whole nation has been cheating me"-NLT. so it is meant for the whole Israelite (Christians) and not Levis/Priests (Pastors)
There is also cleared distinction between Alms given and paying of tithes. Both are commandments from God but while tithes is compulsory by God Alms giving is optional. Therefore using tithes as Alms giving in whatever forms or believe is wrongs, the act will only be recognized as alms giving and not tithes paying.
In actual sense if someone is using his/her to to help the less privileges, he will has the bless attached to alms giving (which is also an important act of any Christians) but while always (if not forever) be under the curse of not paying tithes.
Then if the Church or its Ministers ignores the less privileges within the church and use the whole tithes on themselves they too will be judged accordingly. My advice is that do your part by paying the tithes to ANY church treasury and let God judges those who are put in care of the tithes.
Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by Dereformer(m): 8:01am On Jul 27, 2013
thegreatman4ww: YES
The Bible says "brings all tithes into the storehouse so there will be enough food in my Temple..."-NLT. So all tithes must first be paid into the church treasury/store then it is the duties of the church to apportion/share it to the workers/pastors, helpless, fatherless, widows,etc. And as for those the instruction is given; verse 9 of the same chapter reads "you are under a curse, for your whole nation has been cheating me"-NLT. so it is meant for the whole Israelite (Christians) and not Levis/Priests (Pastors)
There is also cleared distinction between Alms given and paying of tithes. Both are commandments from God but while tithes is compulsory by God Alms giving is optional. Therefore using tithes as Alms giving in whatever forms or believe is wrongs, the act will only be recognized as alms giving and not tithes paying.
In actual sense if someone is using his/her to to help the less privileges, he will has the bless attached to alms giving (which is also an important act of any Christians) but while always (if not forever) be under the curse of not paying tithes.
Then if the Church or its Ministers ignores the less privileges within the church and use the whole tithes on themselves they too will be judged accordingly. My advice is that do your part by paying the tithes to ANY church treasury and let God judges those who are put in care of the tithes.

Stop twisting the bible. What God commanded in deut. 14: 22-26 is that you that brought the tithe must partake in eating the tithe. Why is it that this portion of the bible is not always quoted? Why is the emphasis on malachi?

Believe it or not, most preachers are after their pocket.
Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by PastorKun(m): 9:15am On Jul 27, 2013
thegreatman4ww: YES

Obviously you have very little understanding of what biblical tithes is all about and your position as been moulded by twisting and mis application of scripture. If you really want to know about tithe, I would suggest you STUDY deut 14:22-29 and compare it to the false interpretation you have been fed with. You can then come back here for more scriptures that would show you that tithes as been anulled for christians.
Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jul 27, 2013
Little understanding! hmmmm.
But u can agree from verses 23 & 25. that tithes must first be brought to the LORD's house and not directly to motherless house or less privilege ones. Then check the thread questn and my reply.
Concerning eating/sharing ones tithes the Bible support that (but one can choose not to), and if ones sees dat the church tithes is being mismanaged, (my suggestn)use ur tithes whether each months or accumulated to buy things into ANY Church of GOD e.g musical instructments, chairs, etc. The principle is tithes must start/be put into the Lord's house and end/spend/eat/shared... in the same house i.e tithes life span shld start and end in HIS Temple. Thanks.
Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by PastorKun(m): 1:51pm On Jul 27, 2013
thegreatman4ww: Little understanding! hmmmm.
But u can agree from verses 23 & 25. that tithes must first be brought to the LORD's house and not directly to motherless house or less privilege ones. Then check the thread questn and my reply.
Concerning eating/sharing ones tithes the Bible support that (but one can choose not to), and if ones sees dat the church tithes is being mismanaged, (my suggestn)use ur tithes whether each months or accumulated to buy things into ANY Church of GOD e.g musical instructments, chairs, etc. The principle is tithes must start/be put into the Lord's house and end/spend/eat/shared... in the same house i.e tithes life span shld start and end in HIS Temple. Thanks.

You obviously did not read the said passage with understanding cause if you did you would realise that the way tithes is preached and practised today is totally different from how it is instructed in the bible. Also verse 27-29 in that passage also makes it clear that tithes is not the exclusive preserve of places of worship but it can also be given to the porr, widows, orphans e.t.c. I would also advise you read Hebrews 7:5-19 here tithing was anulled (verses 10-12) and described as a weak useless and unprofitable law in verses 18-19.
Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by PastorKun(m): 1:54pm On Jul 27, 2013

You obviously did not read the said passage with understanding cause if you did you would realise that the way tithes is preached and practised today is totally different from how it is instructed in the bible. Also verse 27-29 in that passage also makes it clear that tithes is not the exclusive preserve of places of worship but it can also be given to the porr, widows, orphans e.t.c. I would also advise you read Hebrews 7:5-19 here tithing was anulled (verses 10-12) and described as a weak useless and unprofitable law in verses 18-19.
Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by PastorKun(m): 1:58pm On Jul 27, 2013

Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by nezpablo: 2:22pm On Jul 27, 2013
While I wont be trapped in this controversial topic not because of lack of knowledge but my crave to acquire more knowledge. But my advice is that before you guys argue further,differentiate between tithe, alms giving and offerings
Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by dorox(m): 2:59pm On Jul 27, 2013
The best person to ask this question is your local pastor after all it is his garri that would be affected, though i don't see him/her leaning too heavily on the bible in helping you to shape 'your' opinion of payment of tithe to him/her the church.
Re: Must Tithe Be Paid In Church??? by DrummaBoy(m): 9:20pm On Jul 27, 2013
Can we honestly, without bias, say that Paul the Apostle, Peter, John, James and other apostles of Christ, whose lives were recorded in scriptures collected tithe? When James discussed the thing permitted for Gentiles in Acts 15 was the tithe named amongst them? Did Jesus collect tithe?

The biggest argument by pro-tithers is that there should be food in God's house but a famous apostle of Christ had this testimony:

1 Corinthians 4: 9 For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men. 10 We are fools for Christ's sake, but ye are wise in Christ; we are weak, but ye are strong; ye are honourable, but we are despised. 11 Even unto this present hour we both hunger, and thirst, and are naked, and are buffeted, and have no certain dwellingplace; 12 And labour, working with our own hands: being reviled, we bless; being persecuted, we suffer it: 13 Being defamed, we entreat: we are made as the filth of the world, and are the offscouring of all things unto this day.

Please take note of what Paul describes were the lifestyle of Apostle of the Lamb

1. They hunger and thirst; in other words they find themselves broke in ministry.

2. Naked: not three piece suits O; they cannot afford to buy simple clothings

3. No dwelling place: they cannot afford a rent. Not that they built palaces; but they were homeless; all of this serving the Lamb.

4. They labor with their hands: they were not on full time ministry; they worked.

The question is this: if they had tithe money to spend will they have endured these sufferings? Contrast them with our modern day pastors.

The truth that tithe proponents miss is that church history has it that ministers in the early church worked and that paying clergies only started 400 years after Christ; and that tithe collecting began 700 years after Christ.

Tithe collection is not biblical; it is defunct and obsolete; it is not meant for New Testaments believers in Jesus.

3 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Ten Ways To Convert An Atheist To Christian / Can Prayer Change Destiny ? / 2021 Prophecies From Prophet Elijah Dankano (major Seer1)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.