Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,021 members, 7,818,024 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

ASUU Fixes Next Meeting For Aug.29 2013. Nasu Others Threaten To Join Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Fixes Next Meeting For Aug.29 2013. Nasu Others Threaten To Join Strike (2066 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / NASU, ASUU, Others Threaten To Shut Down UNN / NASU Will Join ASUU Strike Next Week (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Fixes Next Meeting For Aug.29 2013. Nasu Others Threaten To Join Strike by osaman2011: 8:08pm On Jul 21, 2013
Addressing journalists at the University of Benin main campus, Coordinator of the zone and member of the National Executive Council of ASUU, Dr. Sunny Ighalo, said the strike could be indefinite if government remained insensitive to lecturers' plight and refused to honour the agreement it had with the union. Giving an update on the three-week strike, Ighalo said this time around, the action would be total and comprehensive in all Nigerian universities. Ighalo said members would not shift ground except government honoured the agreement it entered into with ASUU, adding that members would not yield to government's threat of no-work-no-pay rule. He said, "It is clear that the Jonathan government has not learnt anything from the mistakes of previous governments in Nigeria that are notoriously known for fragrant disregard for agreements, due process and rule of law. "Government must be compelled to find a solution to the brain drain issue and infrastructure decay in the system. This is what this ongoing strike action is all about.

The Joint Action Committee (JAC) of Nigerian Universities have threatened to resume its nationwide strike if the 2009 agreements reached between it and the Federal Government were not addressed.
The committee on Friday at a news conference in Abuja said it would resume the strike anytime from now over the breach in the implementation of the agreements.
The JAC comprises the Non-Academic Staff of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU), National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT) and the Senior Staff Association of Nigeria Universities (SSANU).
Mrs Ladi Illiya, National President of NASU, who spoke on behalf of the unions, said that the JAC met on Thursday and resolved to inform the public of developments in the unions.
Illiya said the unions were demanding for the Federal Government to pay the Earned Allowance owed its members, address the NEEDS Assessment Report on the university education and funding of the universities.
She said the unions had delayed the strike following the intervention of the House of Representatives which advised the Federal Government to raise a supplementary budget to cover the payment of the allowances.
Illiya stressed that unfortunately, the Chairman of the House Committee on Education, who was handling the issue, was removed and the union started the process all over again.
``The three non teaching staff unions are not unmindful of the negative opinion of the Nigerian public on the past frequent strike actions in the public universities.
``However, it appears as if government is taking our understanding for granted thereby putting us under unbearable pressure from our members whose patience is fast running out.
``We would like you to know that strike is not what we want to glorify but when we go on this strike, there will be complete close down of all activities in the universities.
``The suspended strike needs no notice of resumption so it can be this night, tomorrow or next, but be sure that we shall not give any notice again,’’ Illiya said.
The unions appealed to well-meaning Nigerians, as a matter of urgency, to prevail on government to address all the burning issues within the shortest time.
Re: ASUU Fixes Next Meeting For Aug.29 2013. Nasu Others Threaten To Join Strike by rinze: 8:16pm On Jul 21, 2013
Consequences of bad governance.From the wound of an unjust system are the seeds of its destruction.
Re: ASUU Fixes Next Meeting For Aug.29 2013. Nasu Others Threaten To Join Strike by JENMAUCY(f): 8:42pm On Jul 21, 2013
Bunch of greedy fools.............btw oooo,how come you said they fix meeting on the 29 of next month?
Re: ASUU Fixes Next Meeting For Aug.29 2013. Nasu Others Threaten To Join Strike by osaman2011: 8:58pm On Jul 21, 2013
Daz wat i gathered from ASUU zonal meeting in my region
Re: ASUU Fixes Next Meeting For Aug.29 2013. Nasu Others Threaten To Join Strike by JENMAUCY(f): 9:03pm On Jul 21, 2013
osaman2011: Daz wat i gathered from ASUU zonal meeting in my region
which means they have already set 2months aside?? This people bad oooo
Re: ASUU Fixes Next Meeting For Aug.29 2013. Nasu Others Threaten To Join Strike by SIRcumalot: 9:08pm On Jul 21, 2013
Cool,This is the strike to end all strikes
Re: ASUU Fixes Next Meeting For Aug.29 2013. Nasu Others Threaten To Join Strike by Dubemkelly(m): 10:13pm On Jul 21, 2013
Oh Laud! Datz bleepin far,guess u were kidding by dat date....I read dem suggestin dt schools b closed 4 rehabilitation,well datz kul buh it wud b reasonable if dey cud pause admission in2 universities n close it la8r after d last admitted set coz it aint gonna mk sense,suspending schls activities 4 sum yrs n callin dem back. The govt shud address d issues n let ds ish be a thing of d past. Educatn outside yhu own country is quite xpensive n nt 4 d ordinary man. Not regrettin being a Nigerian stdnt buh I fink I hv learnt my lessons. Just my degree is all I ask of dem. Tired#

(1) (Reply)

Oduduwa University Graduates 18 First Class Students / Latest On Asup/coeasu Strike: Finally! Strike To Be Call-off Next Week / 2015/2016 Jamb CBT Official Registered Centre List For Applicants Registrations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.