Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:32 PM

Story of An Only Child !!! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Story of An Only Child !!! (3001 Views)

How I Feel As The Only Child Of My Parents. / Being The Only Child Of Your Parents: How Has It Been Like? / Would U Enjoy Being An Only Child, Only Male Or Female In Your Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Story of An Only Child !!! by BabaOyo(m): 4:39am On Jul 22, 2013
A woman of 50yrs in my home town had just a kid!!
She showered so much love & affection on her only son to a fault. Everybody believed she over pampered her only child!
Cars at age 16, expensive jewellery at secondary level, over the roof birthday parties each year!!!

A month ago, her son got ill & was admitted for typhoid!! It was severe because it wasn't detected on time! Talk of home medications....treating Malaria instead of typhoid!!!

She got so scared to her wits by his severe sickness and just 2 days after his discharge from the hospital, our "dear mother of one" has asked her 18yr old son to bring home his girlfriend who he "wants to marry"!!!

When I heared this story from a cousin, I felt she might be justified by her own standard of wanting to "increase & multiply" as soon as possible!!

Another thought came to my mind, how easy is it, for parents with single kids to relax & let their kids live life freely, devoid of pressure into marriage or any other "hasty decisions" all in the name of being an only child?

~
How was it for you as an only child growing up & your parents making decisions for you?
~
Have you been pushed into an early marriage because of such?
~
What decisions did your parents make for you based on being an only kid?
~
How easy is it as a parent with just a kid?

Please share your Views!!
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by biolabee(m): 8:57am On Jul 22, 2013
Baba ooo...

Long time
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by Nobody: 6:49am On Jul 23, 2013
Baba Oyo , how body ? Eku ojo mewa oh! Eku ongbe naa, emi a shika oh, All our heart desires shall come to reality in this holy month Alaumo Amin cool. More monè no problems.

@ Topic , great topic, the subject doesn't only concern only child but only sex child (ren) too.

Too much pressure on you to be the best esp if the parents are influential , people of their caliber are watching their kid's steps like a hawk, GP oh, future partner background oh to list few.

As per your relative's case, to be sincere and not NLish follow follow advice ( yen yen yen ) , I will shoot it straight 100% .....I don't blame the woman oh, she doesn't wanna die of heart attack ni.....She wants DNA replicas quick quick ni.... Call it ignorance , it's the reality.

I can't wait to see my first to give me a grandson too.... She must!

It's a maternal thing I guess. Always on our mind.

See ya later when I full ground wink

Listening to Rock wit'cha by Bobby V- good ol' times cool
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by Nobody: 7:27am On Jul 23, 2013
Baba oya oju to ri yin gbo o cheesy ekujometa cheesy o ga o,happy to see you again on nairaland.mama oyo,omo oyo,aburo oyo,egbon oyo nko?shey gbo gbo e jora won.anyway good too see you.@ topic

shebi yorubas say olomokan ti kuro lagan.a mother of an only child is not in the same league with a barren woman however people tend to assume only children are pampered silly.well not in all cases.

Anyway ekile o cheesy

bet sheko'nsepe e loba awon omoge oyo,e wa fi iya oyo sile danikan takia omo oyo.ema shey yen o wink eshey nkan ti oye ke shey mode hope pe kin shey pe e bimo eyokan.hope its not yourself you are writing about because i remember a time when you were writing something about your son having a new girlfriend cheesy if he is the only child you have, etara mo ise yin dada kole gba aburo,efi awon omoge sile ke da nkan to yeke dasile,ke dasile.ema dasita wink 8-)cheesy

gota dress of for work.in jenifas voice,ama see saww wink :*cheesy

1 Like

Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by Nobody: 7:44am On Jul 23, 2013

1 Like

Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by biolabee(m): 8:04am On Jul 23, 2013
Seems the family crew is getting back

Even mamajhyde is back
It is well.. Hope this post summer will be smooth all through both in the real world and the cyber world

My friend who is single married at 28 and only has a kid now so it's about each person's timing
He did not let pressure get to him. Though I felt I will have married earlier to give his 60 something year old parents but at least they have a grandkid and anoda on the way

So good for him

The prayer is for good kids
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by thorpido(m): 8:24am On Jul 23, 2013
Growing up,I had a neighbour who was an only child,a girl.I remember when she started getting too friendly with me.my mum called me aside and asked if we were dating.She said she doesn't dig getting married to an only child(dnt know her reasons).

At 23yrs she got married.Apparently she got rushed into it.There's always pressure on an only child by the parents.The choice of a partner and timing is heavily influenced by the parents.
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by greatgod2012(f): 9:44am On Jul 23, 2013
Well, well, well! It is an individual thing, it has to do with one's reasoning. I have two examples that are direct opposite of each other.

I have a step aunt who has only one child, but she and her hubby are always concerned about "God's time is the best" for their only son, they always advise their child not to rush about anything, that, what will be will be, they believe in God, that, He alone is the one that can make things beautiful in its time, so, they are never worried or anxious about their only son, what they are busy doing is continueadmonishing him in the way of God. He is almost 26 years old now, but, has not been once pushed to do anything in haste. I give kudos to them for this.

The second example is about one of my senior colleague who is an only child of his mother at my working place, "iya e ti ba aye e je patapata".
The man is an only child of his mother, but have several other step siblings, according to what he told us, his mother brought a wife for him at the age of 16, and asked him to start giving her grandchildren, he said, by the time he clocked 22, he already has 4 children, and at that age too, he gained admission into the university, while going for his studies, his mother married another wife for him to take along to school, while at school and before he finished in schhool, he had "manufactured" another 4 children, imagine!, not to talk about many other concubines, infact, this man's life is messed up, he confessed that he cant do without having intimacy in just one day, he confessed that he doesnt know what his mother have done to him spiritually, that, he is all about anything in skirt, he has got so many querries, just because hes having an appointment with gfs, infact, the man is a shadow of himself now, he want to stop this type of lifestyle, but couldnt just stop.. Just last week, this man was telling some of us that he had slept with more than 400 women, single ladies o, pregnant women o, married women o, even children sef, its only God who can save him......his wives are already used to it, he even invite some of his gfs home and the wives will not talk, they will even be thanking God that, atleast, the man will let them rest that day, he has more than 40 known children, but, btw, his mother is stinkingly rich, so, the man does have problem with money to spend on those women, but, that man use to lament, that, its his mother that spoil his life patapata, he admit that there must be something that his mother must have done to him, in form of charms that always make him to always want to have s..ex with any woman that agrees to sleep with him.
He is just 50+years old, according to him

So, op, it depends on individual, but one thing i am sure of is that, if you say because you have only one child, and you over pamper him/her, you rush him/her into having children, this child will curse you at the end of the day. Its better to let them be.......there is time for everything, and He has made everything beautiful in its time, says the bible.
May God help us all.
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by greatgod2012(f): 9:52am On Jul 23, 2013
@jide, welcome ma, we are happy to have you back. Send my e-bread o.
E si ku ongbe o, emi a reyin osu o.
Ramadan Kareem!

1 Like

Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by damiso(f): 10:34am On Jul 23, 2013
Welcome back jidegirl a miss yin die, die ni o. grin.Good to have you back babes hope you had a great vacay.We are still doing schl run can you imagine, ends tomorrow so yaaaaaay. (I know I wont be that happy in 2 weeks time cheesy).
Baba Oyo naa ekaabo si ori eto yii.

As for only kids,it depends on the outlook of the parent.I have friends who are only children as well as family members with one child.Some are laid back and some are borderline obsessive when it comes to that one.Alot of people have the misconception that they tend to be spoilt but I dont think its always the case.Its only normal fr resources to stretch further for one child than if you have four so I guess them sometimes having things other kids might not have is due to there being less kids to cater to.

Not being gender biased here but I fond its often the mothers of only kids that are often borderline obsessed.That may be due to the cultural aspect of the man maybe having other kids later in life

1 Like

Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by BabaOyo(m): 1:10pm On Jul 23, 2013
biolabee: Baba ooo...

Long time

Mr Biolabee....long time too!
Sure u are "keeping it real" in this rainy rainy cold season abi?

jidegirl12: Biola I just land NA oh ( not home yet) and logged in when I saw Baba Oyo's post. ( no roaming charges wink)

Baba Oyo , how body ? Eku ojo mewa oh! Eku ongbe naa, emi a shika oh, All our heart desires shall come to reality in this holy month Alaumo Amin cool. More monè no problems.

@ Topic , great topic, the subject doesn't only concern only child but only sex child (ren) too.

I can't wait to see my first to give me a grandson too.... She must!

Welcome back o, Yeye Oba of Oyoland!!
Good to see everyone is keeping it alive in here!!!
Awe n lo daada, ese gan o!!!

Well, u are right! Its a maternal thing mostly but some men can be too demanding of their "only child/son/daughter" too o!!!!
Hopefully they don't push these kids into something they wl leave to regret!!

1 Like

Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by BabaOyo(m): 1:18pm On Jul 23, 2013
kulyie: Baba oya oju to ri yin gbo o cheesy ekujometa cheesy o ga o,happy to see you again on nairaland.mama oyo,omo oyo,aburo oyo,egbon oyo nko?shey gbo gbo e jora won.anyway good too see you.@ topic

shebi yorubas say olomokan ti kuro lagan.a mother of an only child is not in the same league with a barren woman however people tend to assume only children are pampered silly.well not in all cases.

Sewa omo to rewa!!!!! You always make me laugh!!!
Ko si side goals Mo oooo!!!! Gbogbo e ti di afi s'eyin ti eegun fi'so o!!!!

Well, a parent with an only child is always scared of uncertainties, in this case I will say she was shaken by her son's illness!
That triggered the whole panic!!!
She wouldn't want her son to "pass-away" without any offspring....I believe that was her biggest fear, not just wanting to be a grandma!!!!
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by BabaOyo(m): 1:22pm On Jul 23, 2013
chaircover: jide ekabo ooooooooo! So nice to see you back kiss

baba oyo long time. awon ara oyo nko?

I sleep and I am not there watching over them 24/7 . . . God does all that and I put my trust in Him in everything that concerns us.

Lolllllll....awon ara Oyo wa daada o!!!!

I guess fear of the unknown is a major factor in all of these!!
Since u have 2, can we say there is a bit of closure you feel more than the mother of one?
May God watch all over them for us o, Amin!
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by BabaOyo(m): 1:24pm On Jul 23, 2013
thorpido: Growing up,my mum called me aside and asked if we were dating.She said she doesn't dig getting married to an only child(dnt know her reasons).

At 23yrs she got married.Apparently she got rushed into it.

I guess your mum could forsee all the pressure that comes with dating an only child!!!
You could have been the "husband" about now, whether you were ready or not !!!
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by BabaOyo(m): 1:38pm On Jul 23, 2013
greatgod2012:

The second example is about one of my senior colleague who is an only child of his mother at my working place, "iya e ti ba aye e je patapata".
So, op, it depends on individual, but one thing i am sure of is that, if you say because you have only one child, and you over pamper him/her, you rush him/her into having children, this child will curse you at the end of the day. Its better to let them be.......there is time for everything, and He has made everything beautiful in its time, says the bible.
May God help us all.

I believe this is a really terrible end for an only kid to grow up into!!
The mother will be so happy wherever she is now, at least she was able to "increase & multiply" while the son is left to live with the consequences of her actions!!!

May God really help him!!!
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by BabaOyo(m): 1:45pm On Jul 23, 2013
damiso: Welcome back jidegirl a miss yin die, die ni o.
Baba Oyo naa ekaabo si ori eto yii.

Not being gender biased here but I fond its often the mothers of only kids that are often borderline obsessed.That may be due to the cultural aspect of the man maybe having other kids later in life
Ooooo, ese atokun eto!!! Hahaha

You have raised valid points, there is surely extra resources to cater for one child hence the over pampering might be inevitable!!!

About the female folks been obsessed more, can you blame them? Like you said, the man can still take his "whistle" to the next junction and get it "blown"!!!
All in all, I only hope people realise not letting a child grow into his/her own person can be counter productive in the long run!!!
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by slimyem: 2:18pm On Jul 23, 2013
My aunt has only one child and my cousin-her son has seen hell. He only graduated a few years ago and has no job yet but my aunt wants him to get married already. Last time I went to her place with a girlfriend,she asked that I introduce my friend to her son. cheesy
Thank God my cousin has his own mind and is not moved by her emotional manipulations. He has told her to better go rest as he is nowhere near ready.

My friend is married to an only son whose mother pushed for the wedding and funded it. Its been only a few months of marriage and MIL is already asking questions and getting uneasy that there's no pregnancy yet.

Women with one child never believe or live by the "what will be will be" saying and you can hardly blame them.
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by BabaOyo(m): 2:57pm On Jul 23, 2013
@Slimyem, thank God ur cousin has a mind of his own!!
Imagine him being a man like GreatGod narrated above?
You would have been doing naming ceremonies every year & u won't even remember which kid is named what! Lmaooooo!!

Really, women with just an issue feel insecure, and transfer all their insecurity into the child!!!!

I have a cousin too, single child.
She has never made any decision on her own....from primary school to her masters degree, its the mother's choice!!!
She never ever entered a cab before, talk less of Okada(for where...maybe in her dreams).

I remember my uncle always have arguments with her over her attitude, but for where?
Now am double sure maybe a man wl be in the pipeline waiting for her already courtesy of Mamma!!!!
Poor girl, no holidays away from home, she can't even follow us out to eat, her Mamma go faint if she ever heared she eat just anything anywhere!!!

May God help all the single children out there!!
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jul 23, 2013
Baba Oyo:

Sewa omo to rewa!!!!! You always make me laugh!!!
Ko si side goals Mo oooo!!!! Gbogbo e ti di afi s'eyin ti eegun fi'so o!!!!

Well, a parent with an only child is always scared of uncertainties, in this case I will say she was shaken by her son's illness!
That triggered the whole panic!!!
She wouldn't want her son to "pass-away" without any offspring....I believe that was her biggest fear, not just wanting to be a grandma!!!!
yayyyy,orimi wu o,ofebe cheesy eminikantan le so oriki e.oya catch am

eeemmmmuuuuaaahhh :*:*:*

anyway as per leaving all the omoge oyo,i hope so wink

by the way i just got back from work eating coconut rice and turkey,ewa join mi cheesy abi shey amala ati gbegiri pelu ogufe lefeni abi iyan to fele ati efo riro pelu bokoto ati panla ni,kin rora fi ede wewe si ati pomo,ko'nshey poundo yam o,as in yam oni flour ti awon iyawo alapa indomie nse foko won o.iyan to fele gidi,tima farabale gun fun yin,personally papa grin bawolesefesi 8-) abi shey pepersoup ati fresh fish fun rainy season yi 8-)

come to think of it,i don miss gan o cheesy awon family ladies daaaa,eyoju.bolewa cheesy jide girl,chair cover,slimyem,sexkillz,greatgod,idowuogbo,mgbeketoto,adaobi,texas cowgirl,chilasauce,awon chair men da biolabee etc grin cheesy

abi all of una dey fight me ni cheesy
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by Nobody: 7:07pm On Jul 23, 2013
Sister Kulyie, mo miss yin gaan too oh. Sha la fia ni?

Lets take this pleasantries to Baba Oyo's 'About the Man' thread so people will not run away from commenting on the Topic here.

See ya grin

1 Like

Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by Nobody: 7:14pm On Jul 23, 2013
jidegirl12: Sister Kulyie, mo miss yin gaan too oh. Sha la fia ni?

Lets take this pleasantries to Baba Oyo's 'About the Man' thread so people will not run away from commenting on the Topic here.

See ya grin
hhaaaa,emi gan miss yin grin alafia ni mo wa o.moti wapa ju,jide boy and little jides nko,shey those small small boys dey give you breathing space so that jide boy can enjoy his thing grin baba oyo gan gbadun ara e cheesy

baba oyo edasi,kilon'shele ke? Where you disappear go cheesy
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by biolabee(m): 7:26pm On Jul 23, 2013
Babao oo.... good to know all is well

The clan is well n chopping my money nicely

Greatgod, ur colleagues story is funny but he should take responsibility for his ownlife rather than blaming his mum
His sex addiction is his n his alone
Taking concubines is his too.. his original wives na mama get that one
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by dayokanu(m): 7:36pm On Jul 23, 2013
My Dad was an only child But on the contrary it made him fiercely independent. and he didnt marry until his 30's maybe because he left his parents house at age 10.
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by SisiKill1: 7:43pm On Jul 23, 2013
Funny Thread!! cheesy

Baba Oya, my dad was an only child, he ended up with 7 children.

'nuff Said! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by Nobody: 8:11pm On Jul 23, 2013
Too much 'Yoruba Yoruba' going on here. angry angry embarassed embarassed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided undecided
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by RoyalRoy(m): 12:07am On Jul 24, 2013
dayokanu: My Dad was an only child But on the contrary it made him fiercely independent. and he didnt marry until his 30's maybe because he left his parents house at age 10.

Probably he got "educated & Rich" and his parents weren't.!! Hence they had little or no influence on him over time!

Sisi_Kill: Funny Thread!! cheesy

Baba Oyo, my dad was an only child, he ended up with 7 children.

'nuff Said! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Really....nuff said....lollllz!
Grandma must be so happy wherever she is now!
Re: Story of An Only Child !!! by camrygmail: 6:52am On Jul 24, 2013
FIL was an only child raised alone by his dad, got married in his early 20s and everyone who knew him then remembers how he would let the girls he was dating know that he wanted a ton of kids .he ended up with 8 .

Only children can be affected by the insecurity and fear of their parents

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How I Took My Girl To Her Room To Show Her My Thing / Missing 13-year Old Boy Found Tied Up In His Mother's Friend's House (see Photos / What Becomes Of Unclaimed Corpses In The Mortuary? ( my experience this morning)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.