Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,319 members, 7,836,378 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True (20448 Views)

How Much Mileage Is Too Much Mileage? / Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? / Are High Mileage Cars Really That Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by lifestyle1(m): 2:52pm On Jul 26, 2013
What the f is mileage ? angry grin
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by nijanigga: 3:06pm On Jul 26, 2013
redcliff: [size=14pt]everything boils down to Nigerians living abroad who want to make money at all cost at the expense of another's. thats how wicked we are. its really sad[/size]
You're are a blatant liar. First of all, if you buy a low mileage cars from America and ship it to Nigeria,very few Nigerians have purchasing power to purchase those cars,sure I do no condone rolling back the mileage,but in a lawless country like Nigeria,everybody looks for short-cut,to prosperity.
Secondly, does it make sense to drive expensive cars on Nigerian roads that so are deadly that any goat and cow can jump into any car and drive? Road accidents in Nigeria is one of worst in the world.
So,when I see people riding expensive cars in Nigeria, I just nod my head and pray that " you will not near petrol tanker",which is almost a daily occurrence. Bottom line,Nigerians do mis placed their priorities.
Fight the govt to provide good roads with your taxes before buying expensive and low mileage cars.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by nijanigga: 3:07pm On Jul 26, 2013
life_style: What the f is mileage ? angry grin
Another goat, ask in a polite way.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by chuksoyo21(m): 3:10pm On Jul 26, 2013
Wow! Thanks for the thread! Its quite educating...
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by chuksoyo21(m): 3:11pm On Jul 26, 2013
Wow! Thanks for the thread! It is quite educating...
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by PStacks(m): 3:15pm On Jul 26, 2013
I don't really think Nigerians care about Milage.. We are talking of survival and you are asking him to check milage.. Once the car can take him from point A to B, its ok, but we forget that nigeria slides by the day..

Our Naira depreciates by the day against major world currencies.

Atleast Nigeria in the 60's is far better than Nigeria of today, I can Remember my Grand Fathers 504 Wagon, it was Brand New Tear leather from France and he could use and pay over time, My Grand mothers Volkswagon beetle was brand New for Germany and u could use and pay up in time but today but today, u get appointment with the Govt they don't even provide u car, not to talk a brand New car.

You will see the Economy has degenerated so much so an average Nigerian doesn't even know his car has Mileage not to talk of check what it is just the same way our Naira has been falling Right from the 60's till date..

I remember my Grand pop used to tell me that a Naira was of more value than a Dollar and the Great Britain Pound and the Naira were at per..

Today GBP to Naira is #250
Dollar to Naira is #160

These are enough indicies to show us we are sliding into a descent af it to say it were a bottomless pit.

We are supposed to hit Rock bottom and Bounce Back as high as ever as we can and this is the Generation that can do it..

If Nigeria continues in this descent, Tokunbo cars with 1 million mileage would be luxury to an average Nigerian.
Nigerians must wake up from their slumber. That evil called Curruption has weighed us down way too long.

Until enough is enough, the free fall would continue as Nigeria seems to be falling even faster than Gravity.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Okijajuju1(m): 3:15pm On Jul 26, 2013
Fhemmmy:

We have to respect the thread and the section - No adverts at all, so i will advice you come to our thread where we would be able to give you a price . . .

Where is your thread?! I need a Motorbike..
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by BizBooks(m): 3:16pm On Jul 26, 2013
To paraphrase what Emperoh said here sometime ago, every car has a schedule of maintenance as
stipulated by the manufacturer. For instance it might say:

1. At 50,000 miles - Change A and B
2. At 100,000 miles - Change C and D
3. At 150,000 miles - Change E and F
4. At 200,000 miles - Change G and H
etc

If you go to any competent mechanic for maintenance, the first thing they will check is the
mileage on your car. That will give them an idea what to look out for. If the mileage is not
accurate, they will be barking on the wrong tree. That can cause severe engine damage.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by blackmann(m): 3:19pm On Jul 26, 2013
What gets to me most is some of the buyers would want to "dictate" what they want to pay for the cars they want to buy. I had someone who once told me he needed to buy a 2008 Toyota Camry. He told me the car was being sold for around 1.5m in Nigeria and he wanted one with all the options available(Leather seats, alloy wheels, moonroofs, 6 CD player, the works) with mileage less than 100k. i told him that 1.5 won't even buy the car here and he said that he went to price the car and that's the cost estimate he was given. I even told him that maybe the car was an accident vehicle, and even at that price it will be very hard to get a salvage car of that year and model. There's nothing I didn't explain to him that made him budge. At some point i told him to just go and buy it from wherever he got that price from and he said no, he wants it from here.

Atimes the buyers make it hard on the sellers too. They want the best vehicle in the market, but will offer ridiculous prices.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by bfire(m): 3:19pm On Jul 26, 2013
life_style: What the f is mileage ? angry grin

If you seat on the driver side of a car, there's something that looks like a clock just at the front of the steering wheel. That's is were the odometer is. It counts the numbers of distance you have travelled.

We Nigerians are too smart for our own liking and as such we sometimes assume that we can get anything at a price that's convenient to us. It won't happen because you are not smarter than a average business man.

There are other things that makes a good car other than the mileage. Even if you change the engine and tranny of a car to a lower or newer engine, you can't change the odometer; it's a criminal offence in USA & Canada.

The quality of a car is not always about the body alone (clean as 9ja say it), it's about the engine, shocks, tires, tranny and battery. These are what drives a car.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Venchy: 3:29pm On Jul 26, 2013
Umm....Care!!! What does majority of Nigerians Cares for other than enjoyment.

There are Bad boys at the seaport that will instantly change the mileage for you.

They careless about the ware and tear of the engine but prefer the clean Body, how foolish is that?
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by BizBooks(m): 3:31pm On Jul 26, 2013
P.Stacks:
I don't really think Nigerians care about Milage.. We are talking of survival and you are asking him to check milage.. Once the car can take him from point A to B, its ok, but we forget that nigeria slides by the day..

This is similar to some of our football players who claim to be 17 when they are actually 30.
If a club buys such a player hoping to get 10 years of service from them, they will end up
getting only 1 or 2 years and the player will retire soon after due to age related injury.
So if you don't care about a car's mileage, you might end up getting an old car when you
thought you are getting a new one. In that case it will only take you from point A to B for
a shorter period than you expected.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by toskut(m): 3:40pm On Jul 26, 2013
Nigerians do care a lot about mileage thats why our dealers have perfected the art of rolling it back. I bought a honda 1998 model with 94k miles, defintely, thats not true but generally, its a good car. Our major problem here is CORRUPTION
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by lifestyle1(m): 3:41pm On Jul 26, 2013
bfire:

If you seat on the driver side of a car, there's something that looks like a clock just at the front of the steering wheel. That's is were the odometer is. It counts the numbers of distance you have travelled.

We Nigerians are too smart for our own liking and as such we sometimes assume that we can get anything at a price that's convenient to us. It won't happen because you are not smarter than a average business man.

There are other things that makes a good car other than the mileage. Even if you change the engine and tranny of a car to a lower or newer engine, you can't change the odometer; it's a criminal offence in USA & Canada.

The quality of a car is not always about the body alone (clean as 9ja says it), it's about the engine, shocks, tires, tranny and battery. These are what drives a car.

Oh i see, i'm about to get a golf for my business, now what's the average mileage i should look out for ?

Thanks.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by lifestyle1(m): 3:44pm On Jul 26, 2013
nijanigga:
Another goat, ask in a polite way.

How do you manage to get clients ?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by chessguru1(m): 3:50pm On Jul 26, 2013
How many nigerians know the meaning of "high mileage"
Go and ask ur mechanic wheda he knows what the "mileage" of your car is
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by SORTER: 4:01pm On Jul 26, 2013
DEAR POSTER....PLS HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS VIN CHECK YOU MADE MENTIONED IN THIS THREAD?....AWAITING YOUR GENEROUS RESPONSE PLEASE.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Nobody: 4:02pm On Jul 26, 2013
Car Pros

Please if a man in California lost his car engine at the mileage of 55,000 due to non maintenance and decided to replace his engine completely, what happens to the old mileage and the replaced engine(either new or tokunbo)?
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by BizBooks(m): 4:09pm On Jul 26, 2013
SORTER: DEAR POSTER....PLS HOW DO I GO ABOUT THIS VIN CHECK YOU MADE MENTIONED IN THIS THREAD?....AWAITING YOUR GENEROUS RESPONSE PLEASE.

There are several VIN check threads here on Nairaland. One of them is at this link:

https://www.nairaland.com/638733/free-vin-checks-reports
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by redcliff: 4:18pm On Jul 26, 2013
nijanigga:
You're are a blatant liar. First of all, if you buy a low mileage cars from America and ship if to Nigeria,very few Nigerians have purchasing power to purchase the cars,sure I do no condone rolling back the mileage,but in a lawless country like Nigeria,everybody looks for short-cut,to prosperity.
Secondly, does it make sense to drive expensive cars on Nigerian roads that so deadly that any goat and cow can jump into any car and drive? Road accidents in Nigeria is one of worst in the world.
So,when I see people riding expensive cars in Nigeria, I just nod my head and pray that " you will not near petrol tanker",which is not almost a daily occurrence. Bottom line,Nigerians do mis placed their priorities.
Fight the govt to provide good roads with your taxes before buying expensive and low mileage cars.

[size=14pt]I think your own post is misplaced. what did i say have to do with what you quoted? [/size]undecided undecided
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Fhemmmy: 4:19pm On Jul 26, 2013
LastApostle: Car Pros

Please if a man in California lost his car engine at the mileage of 55,000 due to non maintenance and decided to replace his engine completely, what happens to the old mileage and the replaced engine(either new or tokunbo)?

The body of the ride will be said to be on the old mileage while the engine is of new mileage but the odometer of the ride will still show old mileage, however, the owner could explain that to people without a problem.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Fhemmmy: 4:19pm On Jul 26, 2013
Okija_juju:

Where is your thread?! I need a Motorbike..

https://www.nairaland.com/689017/pre-0rder-like-no-other-guaranteed-satisfaction
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by princeonx: 4:34pm On Jul 26, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Ok, here is how we do it . . . You could sell the person the car with no engine, no doors and no tires for 1.5M Naira and when he has more money, he will buy the engine and in turn buy the doors and tires when he has more money again, so by the time he buy the ride, engine, doors and tires, he would have paid the real cost of the ride . . anyhow, in one words, it is IMPOSSIBLE to get a 2007/2008 Highlander at such ridiculous price where Canadian $$ is around 162 Naira to 1CND$? grin grin grin
Shipping is more expensive and when done via container, clearing is more expensive too . . . even a 2001 Highlander wont be 1.5M Naira
Bros! I wasn't only waiting for your reply, I was already looking for your number to call you and find out how possible or how you you plan to buy, ship, and deliver or rather buy and ship, or even just buy an 07/08 highlander for 1.5m naira.

@op: the most important thing to Nigerians when buying cars is how clean/neat the car is, followed by how cheap/affordable the purchase price is, the maintenance and parts.
All that colour crap: no red oh, no white oh, na leather, etc is b$!
I have sold a lot of white colour cars in naija bcox sometimes this cars are 200k cheaper than other colours and still very clean!
Bottom line: price!
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Fhemmmy: 4:57pm On Jul 26, 2013
prince_onx:
Bros! I wasn't only waiting for your reply, I was already looking for your number to call you and find out how possible or how you you plan to buy, ship, and deliver or rather buy and ship, or even just buy an 07/08 highlander for 1.5m naira.

@op: the most important thing to Nigerians when buying cars is how clean/neat the car is, followed by how cheap/affordable the purchase price is, the maintenance and parts.
All that colour crap: no red oh, no white oh, na leather, etc is b$!
I have sold a lot of white colour cars in naija bcox sometimes this cars are 200k cheaper than other colours and still very clean!
Bottom line: price!

No need to even look for my number, cos ANYONE that is able to deliver such, is either, stolen and a lemon, even a lemon wont be that cheap
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Inoknowbook: 5:09pm On Jul 26, 2013
redcliff:

[size=14pt]I cant agree less. However, there are wicked white people but if we are to do the maths, the black man's numbers outweighs the white man's.[/size]

It's a pure lie. Whites are more wicked than blacks, afterall, were they not the ones that put the blacks under slavery? Were they not the ones that massacred 6 million jews? Are they not the ones that are still practicing racism against the minorities in their countries? Anybody that has the mind to do all these and more, is more wicked than the next person. Wickedness does not start and end with bad business ethics. Take it or leave it!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Freddieyankee(m): 5:14pm On Jul 26, 2013
This remains me of someone in Nigeria asking me to get him a 2010 Nissan versa and have it shipped to Nigeria for 900k naira.
Such people you don't waste your time with. And like my big boss Fhemmy said some customers pushes the dealer to cheat on them.
Asking to get Toyota Camry 2008, low mileage, leather seat full option and shipped to Nigeria for 1.2 million
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by JaaizTech: 5:29pm On Jul 26, 2013
I think what is paramount here is that we have become a "people of falsehood", perhaps we would rank top amongst the most untrustworthy people on earth.
I have fallen victim of the same thing before, I bought a 2003 car displaying a mileage of about 78k, on querying the VIN i discovered the car had over 208k on it.
We keep complaining of corrupt leaders, but the truth is that we ourselves are a corrupt people, hence the probability that one ends up with corrupt politician or pathetic liar sales man is 9 out of 10.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by shilling(f): 5:31pm On Jul 26, 2013
One of the few posts on NL that is clear, concise and grammatically sound. Good job, OP!
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by JaaizTech: 5:35pm On Jul 26, 2013
Freddieyankee: This remains me of someone in Nigeria asking me to get him a 2010 Nissan versa and have it shipped to Nigeria for 900k naira.
Such people you don't waste your time with. And like my big boss Fhemmy said some customers pushes the dealer to cheat on them.
Asking to get Toyota Camry 2008, low mileage, leather seat full option and shipped to Nigeria for 1.2 million
I disagree, what some customers want is the truth, in fact what many customers want is just the truth, sit the guy down and tell him, in plain English, if u want XYZ this is d cost, if u want ABC, this is the cost. If you already had a honest reputation, people will believe you. Many customers whom have access to purchase cars in US, on their own, buy over 200k miles for themselves, all they do is verify the condition and take a chance on the car.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by princeonx: 5:46pm On Jul 26, 2013
Fhemmmy:

No need to even look for my number, cos ANYONE that is able to deliver such, is either, stolen and a lemon, even a lemon wont be that cheap
I was just quoting you until I read the funny part where you explained how the car will be bought in pieces lol! Even if the car was stolen, where will the thief title it before shipping or whatever? I get such calls everyday and the picture part is the most annoying to me. Someone need or want a 2001 sienna, they know what it is and how it look yet they'll call you for the price and specs they want then start asking for pictures knowing very well that they are yet to send the money and you haven't even bought the car. At the end of the day they get a completely different 2001 sienna or even 02 if lucky with a different colour.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by Fhemmmy: 5:48pm On Jul 26, 2013
prince_onx:
I was just quoting you until I read the funny part where you explained how the car will be bought in pieces lol! Even if the car was stolen, where will the thief title it before shipping or whatever? I get such calls everyday and the picture part is the most annoying to me. Someone need or want a 2001 sienna, they know what it is and how it look yet they'll call you for the price and specs they want then start asking for pictures knowing very well that they are yet to send the money and you haven't even bought the car. At the end of the day they get a completely different 2001 sienna or even 02 if lucky with a different colour.

This business and thought me to make patience my best friend and to be so humble, cos no matter what and at the end of the day, the client is why we are in the business. . . .We have to learn not to just do what they want, but to educate some the right way.
Re: Nigerians Dont Care About High Mileage? - Is It True by ukay2: 6:00pm On Jul 26, 2013
Fhemmmy:

This business and thought me to make patience my best friend and to be so humble, cos no matter what and at the end of the day, the client is why we are in the business. . . .We have to learn not to just do what they want, but to educate some the right way.

pls wchic thread should i follow to know the price of the 2006 toyota corrola...thanks.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Please Advice: What Car Should I Buy For Mom ? / Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing Company (IVM) Launches An Auto Finance Scheme / Between Mobil 1 Oil And The Regular Oils

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.