Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,101 members, 7,825,483 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

Letter From My Present To My Past - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Letter From My Present To My Past (1027 Views)

Open Letter From An @ignored Test / ( At Present)"watch Lucy 2014 Online" #streaming / Letter From The Moderator - Please Read (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter From My Present To My Past by aitoehigie: 8:30pm On Jul 22, 2013
Dear Past,

Like that wise old man would say, hindsight has 20/20 vision. So with the benefit of hindsight there are some things I would like you to know.

Study a soft course: e.g. Sociology, English, literature, etc that you can easily sail through without really studying and with no more than a quarter of your brain and use most of your available time in the university to: (i) Code, code and code (hone your skills till its razor-sharp) (ii) Create your startup company while in school. Since academic work would be a no brainer, you would have lots of time to do the above instead of studying.
Have loads of fun in the university: even while honing your coding skills, have lots of fun. Join clubs, go to crazy parties, do lots of sports, join a religious organization (if so inclined). Just go out and have fun, meet people, mix, interact. Why? doing so will make you have very strong social skills which would come in handy when running your startup, handling your workers, business partners etc. So you don’t end up being the typical geek who has zero social skills and names his laptop Wendy.
Dont have a job: If your startup kicks off while in school, there would really be no need for you to get a job after graduation (not that there are any waiting out there) but I can’t stress this point enough, PLEASE DONT GET A JOB. Running a startup or young company is a difficult task on its own not to talk of combining it with a full days job. It would kill you. Read this to know why.
Mistakes always teach lessons that are hard to forget but there are some mistakes that should not be committed in the first place.

Yours Sincerly

Your Present.

[url]aitoehigie.[/url]

1 Like

Re: Letter From My Present To My Past by Javanian: 9:41pm On Jul 22, 2013
Hopefully, Time travel would be possible one day and you will get to deliver this letter tongue
Re: Letter From My Present To My Past by Ajibel(m): 11:12pm On Jul 22, 2013
Really I study some hard courses like philosophy and mathematics, yet i have much time to code.
Going to party, clubs doesnt make one "social"
Re: Letter From My Present To My Past by Djtm(m): 11:25pm On Jul 22, 2013
I wish I opted in for easier courses so I would have more time to code. Studying some difficult courses like physics and maths. Imagine having to code till 5am (without sleeping throughout the previous day) and at the same time trying to attend an 8am class. It's really difficult esp if you aren't studying a 'computer-preffixed' course.
Re: Letter From My Present To My Past by Djtm(m): 11:27pm On Jul 22, 2013
Ajibel: Really I study some hard courses like philosophy and mathematics, yet i have much time to code.
Going to party, clubs doesnt make one "social"
philosophy and maths? Never heard of that combo b4. What are you majoring on?
Re: Letter From My Present To My Past by Ajibel(m): 6:18am On Jul 23, 2013
Djtm:

actually its self study.i have lots of video tutorials & pdf i read from even coursera lectures. My timetable is so tight that sometimes i dont have time to bath buh i enjoy what i do. I was studying "physics with electronics" buh wrote jamb dis year so i can switch to CS at yaba

1 Like

Re: Letter From My Present To My Past by lordZOUGA(m): 8:04am On Jul 23, 2013
Djtm:
Rene Descartes was proficient in both.

1 Like

Re: Letter From My Present To My Past by appleous: 5:06pm On Jul 23, 2013
Makes sense
Re: Letter From My Present To My Past by tpia5: 6:22am On Aug 16, 2013
Javanian: Hopefully, Time travel would be possible one day

tall order but never say never i guess.

(1) (Reply)

Become A Professional Programmer For FREE / Vconnect Is Da 38th Top Site In Naija But Only 50k Ppl Have Downloaded It's App / How To Make Iphone Apps With No Programming Experience

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.