Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,187 members, 7,815,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? (844 Views)

Did Joseph Prince Really Say This? / 'Pray For Buhari Not To Die In Power' - Did TB Joshua Really Say That? / Understanding What Sin Is, And How To Be Forgiven (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by shumax: 4:04pm On Jul 23, 2013
Absolve your sins on Twitter
Pope Francis To Forgive Twitter Followers' Sins Online
This were some of the funny headlines many of us saw last week on the social media sites. But did the pope really say he would forgive sins through twitter? What did he really say? While I know many People would never give the catholic church a chance to defend herself but I would appreciate if for the purpose of these particular issue many of you settle down and understand this.
The Pope didn’t say sins would be forgiven through twitter, he said Indulgence could be obtained. The issue now WHAT IS INDULGENCE?, This I would try to explain in simple terms
Catholics believe when we commit sin 2 things happen, we stop the work of divine grace in our souls and then merit hell in case of a mortal sin or at least deserve a certain kind of consequence for our sins, when we repent truthfully and confess this sins, God forgives us but then the sin still leaves a little attachment which as Catholics we believe we must through prayer fasting or other works of charity perform to overcome the attachment to this sin, if we die before we are able to effect a perfect detachment from the attachment to sin, we believe Purgatory is a state in which the remaining attachment to this sin will be removed, the church teaches based on the words of Jesus to the first Bishops, the apostles “whatever you bind on earth shall be bind in heaven and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven” that By granting indulgence, the church exercises this power to her members who truly have repented of their sins but might not have fully achieved a perfect detachment from their sins to be relieved of the punishment which in this case is time spent in purgatory if they show a genuine desire to want to gain this benefit, the truth is, even if the pope approves the conditions for this indulgence individuals have to genuinely desire it by certain actions which they devotedly do. One of such activities is a pilgrimage to a holy site or event like the world youth day and the Pope has in this case declared that if you genuinely had intended to attend the world youth day event but due to legimate reasons could not attend you can still gain the indulgence by following the programmes with the same devotion as if you were in the event. This programs can be followed either through television or the social networks he never mentioned twitter.
Here is the link from the Vaticanhttp://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/tribunals/apost_penit/documents/rc_trib_appen_doc_20130709_decreto-indulgenze-gmg_en.html
Pls I would entertain genuine questions on areas you need clarification
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by superior1: 4:46pm On Jul 23, 2013
shumax: Absolve your sins on Twitter
This were some of the funny headlines many of us saw last week on the social media sites. But did the pope really say he would forgive sins through twitter? What did he really say? While I know many People would never give the catholic church a chance to defend herself but I would appreciate if for the purpose of these particular issue many of you settle down and understand this.
The Pope didn’t say sins would be forgiven through twitter, he said Indulgence could be obtained. The issue now WHAT IS INDULGENCE?, This I would try to explain in simple terms
Catholics believe when we commit sin 2 things happen, we stop the work of divine grace in our souls and then merit hell in case of a mortal sin or at least deserve a certain kind of consequence for our sins, when we repent truthfully and confess this sins, God forgives us but then the sin still leaves a little attachment which as Catholics we believe we must through prayer fasting or other works of charity perform to overcome the attachment to this sin, if we die before we are able to effect a perfect detachment from the attachment to sin, we believe Purgatory is a state in which the remaining attachment to this sin will be removed, the church teaches based on the words of Jesus to the first Bishops, the apostles “whatever you bind on earth shall be bind in heaven and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven” that By granting indulgence, the church exercises this power to her members who truly have repented of their sins but might not have fully achieved a perfect detachment from their sins to be relieved of the punishment which in this case is time spent in purgatory if they show a genuine desire to want to gain this benefit, the truth is, even if the pope approves the conditions for this indulgence individuals have to genuinely desire it by certain actions which they devotedly do. One of such activities is a pilgrimage to a holy site or event like the world youth day and the Pope has in this case declared that if you genuinely had intended to attend the world youth day event but due to legimate reasons could not attend you can still gain the indulgence by following the programmes with the same devotion as if you were in the event. This programs can be followed either through television or the social networks he never mentioned twitter.
Here is the link from the Vaticanhttp://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/tribunals/apost_penit/documents/rc_trib_appen_doc_20130709_decreto-indulgenze-gmg_en.html
Pls I would entertain genuine questions on areas you need clarification

Where can indulgence and purgatory be found in the Bible?
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jul 23, 2013
superior1:

Where can indulgence and purgatory be found in the Bible?

Where can nairaland and internet be found in the bible?
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by superior1: 4:54pm On Jul 23, 2013
striktlymi:

Where can nairaland and internet be found in the bible?

Internet and Nairaland aren't biblical doctrines hence doesn't have any relevance to my question
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by Nobody: 4:57pm On Jul 23, 2013
superior1:

Internet and Nairaland aren't biblical doctrines hence doesn't have any relevance to my question

They aren't biblical but you accept both? Why if I may ask?
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by superior1: 5:06pm On Jul 23, 2013
striktlymi:

They aren't biblical but you accept both? Why if I may ask?

My final response to you
The question I asked is a DOCTRINAL one, Internet and nairaland aren't DOCTRINAL or issue of faith (eg I haven't accept nairaland as my way of life)

@shumax, kindly answer my questions please
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by Nobody: 5:20pm On Jul 23, 2013
where is the term "bible" in the bible and where is sola bible recomended in the bible?
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 23, 2013
superior1:

My final response to you
The question I asked is a DOCTRINAL one, Internet and nairaland aren't DOCTRINAL or issue of faith (eg I haven't accept nairaland as my way of life)

@shumax, kindly answer my questions please

I wonder why you are getting worked up over a simple conversation!

You are here on nairaland, it is part of your way of life otherwise you will not be here. Your being here is an acceptance of it.

The point is, everything need not be spelt out word for word in sacred scriptures before they are accepted.

The only things that MUST be rejected are those things that go against the tenets of Sacred scriptures.

If you can't find a particular word in Sacred scriptures and the word does not contradict anything therein, then you CAN'T possibly say that it is not of God because if you hold that view then it would certainly mean that you are also holding an opinion that is not backed by scriptures.
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by superior1: 6:03pm On Jul 23, 2013
striktlymi:

I wonder why you are getting worked up over a simple conversation!

You are here on nairaland, it is part of your way of life otherwise you will not be here. Your being here is an acceptance of it.

The point is, everything need not be spelt out word for word in sacred scriptures before they are accepted.

The only things that MUST be rejected are those things that go against the tenets of Sacred scriptures.

If you can't find a particular word in Sacred scriptures and the word does not contradict anything therein, then you CAN'T possibly say that it is not of God because if you hold that view then it would certainly mean that you are also holding an opinion that is not backed by scriptures.

If I don't find it in the scriptures, it is irrelevant then. Are you by this saying indulgence and purgatory isn't in the bible?. If not stated directly, can you atleast provide a not so direct scripture that insinuate them?
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by Nobody: 6:35pm On Jul 23, 2013
superior1:

If I don't find it in the scriptures, it is irrelevant then.

I can agree with the statement above to a certain extent. Sacred scriptures alone if read with proper guidance from the spirit is sufficient to lead one to heaven, hence other things might not be relevant, if and only if, it is read with proper guidance from the spirit.

superior1:
Are you by this saying indulgence and purgatory isn't in the bible?.

No!!! Only saying that you might not get the exact words.

superior1:
If not stated directly, can you atleast provide a not so direct scripture that insinuate them?

Purgatory implied:

1 John 5:17
New International Version (NIV)

17 All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.

1 Corinthians 3:13-15

13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

Matthew 5:25-26

25 “Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. 26 Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.

For indulgence:

Matthew 18:18

18 “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by superior1: 6:50pm On Jul 23, 2013
striktlymi:

I can agree with the statement above to a certain extent. Sacred scriptures alone if read with proper guidance from the spirit is sufficient to lead one to heaven, hence other things might not be relevant, if and only if, it is read with proper guidance from the spirit.

No!!! Only saying that you might not get the exact words.

Purgatory implied:

1 John 5:17

17 All wrongdoing is sin, and there is sin that does not lead to death.

1 Corinthians 3:13-15

13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

Matthew 5:25-26

25 “Settle matters quickly with your adversary who is taking you to court. Do it while you are still together on the way, or your adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you may be thrown into prison. 26 Truly I tell you, you will not get out until you have paid the last penny.

For indulgence:

18 “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

Let's start with indulgence, the scriptures you quoted is better understood from the context (I am sure you will agree with this)

Matthew 18, 15-20

15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. 16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. 17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. 18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

It is talking about settling of quarrel among brethren, we can not infer directly or indirectly, it has anything to do with forgiveness of sin by an individual.
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Jul 23, 2013
superior1:

Let's start with indulgence, the scriptures you quoted is better understood from the context (I am sure you will agree with this)

Matthew 18, 15-20

15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother. 16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established. 17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican. 18 Verily I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever ye shall loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. 19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven. 20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

It is talking about settling of quarrel among brethren, we can not infer directly or indirectly, it has anything to do with forgiveness of sin by an individual.

I can apply the above to indulgence but it is not part of what I quoted for indulgence. I gave only one scriptural backing for indulgence.

If we are starting with indulgence then the appropriate passage would be:

striktlymi:

For indulgence:

Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by superior1: 7:17pm On Jul 23, 2013
striktlymi:

I can apply the above to indulgence but it is not part of what I quoted for indulgence. I gave only one scriptural backing for indulgence.

If we are starting with indulgence then the appropriate passage would be:

In summary, indulgence is forgiveness of sin before God, can be granted to the living and the dead (you can post a better definition if you chose), indulgence is given by the church appointed official. Now

Can you explain this with Matthew 18:18 (Kindly take it contextualy), or can I build a doctrine on 'Jesus wept' alone without recourse to the context of the event leading to that?, let's study this so we can rightly divide the scriptures
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jul 23, 2013
superior1:
In summary, indulgence is forgiveness of sin before God, can be granted to the living and the dead (you can post a better definition if you chose), indulgence is given by the church appointed official. Now

In simple terms, indulgence is the remission of the temporal punishment due to sin that has been forgiven. It is not the forgiveness of sins per se.

superior1:
Can you explain this with Matthew 18:18 (Kindly take it contextualy), or can I build a doctrine on 'Jesus wept' alone without recourse to the context of the event leading to that?, let's study this so we can rightly divide the scriptures

In that passage of Sacred scriptures, Christ was trying to teach the importance of settling our grievances with our brethren before they get out of hand...

Now, if after trying to reconcile with a brother, he stubbornly refuses and decides to remain in sin then Christ assured the Apostles that they would have the power to excommunicate such person from the flock, hence Matthew 18:18.

This power to bound and loose goes beyond just excommunicating a member of the Church who is adamant in sin. It also gave the Apostles the power to forgive and retain sins:

John 20:23

23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.

Thus, if a valid representative of Christ grants someone relief of the temporal punishment due to sin already forgiven, it is accepted as such in heaven because of the promise Christ made.
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by superior1: 8:51pm On Jul 23, 2013
striktlymi:

In simple terms, indulgence is the remission of the temporal punishment due to sin that has been forgiven. It is not the forgiveness of sins per se.

In that passage of Sacred scriptures, Christ was trying to teach the importance of settling our grievances with our brethren before they get out of hand...

Now, if after trying to reconcile with a brother, he stubbornly refuses and decides to remain in sin then Christ assured the Apostles that they would have the power to excommunicate such person from the flock, hence Matthew 18:18.

This power to bound and loose goes beyond just excommunicating a member of the Church who is adamant in sin. It also gave the Apostles the power to forgive and retain sins:

John 20:23

23 If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.

Thus, if a valid representative of Christ grants someone relief of the temporal punishment due to sin already forgiven, it is accepted as such in heaven because of the promise Christ made.

IF a brother offend you
1. Tell him, if he didn't repent
2. Pick 2 or 3 people and let them talk with him, if he didn't repent
3. Tell the church, if he didn't still repent, the church should set him aside from fellowship (when there is disunity among them, it will affect them spiritually)
Whatsoever the Church bound remains bound vice versa, if 2 shall agree concerning a matter, it shall be done, where 2 or more are gathered, he is there.

Read that scripture and follow the direction of Christ discuss. He is not talking of one who committed a sin like stealing etc, IF a brother offend you (verse 15). He is simply talking of how offence should be resolved and the power of unity in church or when people agree over a matter, there is no place for indulgence (forgiving temporal sin of the living and the dead).

Colossian 3:13
13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jul 23, 2013
shumax: Absolve your sins on Twitter

that's all i needed to read.
im out undecided
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by Nobody: 7:05am On Jul 24, 2013
superior1:

IF a brother offend you
1. Tell him, if he didn't repent
2. Pick 2 or 3 people and let them talk with him, if he didn't repent
3. Tell the church, if he didn't still repent, the church should set him aside from fellowship (when there is disunity among them, it will affect them spiritually)
Whatsoever the Church bound remains bound vice versa, if 2 shall agree concerning a matter, it shall be done, where 2 or more are gathered, he is there.

Read that scripture and follow the direction of Christ discuss. He is not talking of one who committed a sin like stealing etc, IF a brother offend you (verse 15). He is simply talking of how offence should be resolved and the power of unity in church or when people agree over a matter, there is no place for indulgence (forgiving temporal sin of the living and the dead).

Colossian 3:13
13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye.

The above demonstrates that you did not read my post.
Re: Did The Pope Really Say Sins Can Be Forgiven Via Twitter?? by superior1: 7:12am On Jul 24, 2013
striktlymi:

The above demonstrates that you did not read my post.

How?

(1) (Reply)

The Weapon Of Thanksgiving Part 2 - Winning Each Day Devotional / Nigerian Pastors And Their Many Contradicting Preaching Should Stop! / The Truth About The Ark Of Noah In Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.