Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,083 members, 7,825,422 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 02:08 PM

A Trip To The Gambia-direction Needed, Please! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / A Trip To The Gambia-direction Needed, Please! (5449 Views)

Antarctica: A Trip To The Coldest, Windiest, And Driest Continent On The Planet. / A Trip Back To Titanic(Historical Photos). / Direction Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Trip To The Gambia-direction Needed, Please! by onemecarl: 10:50pm On Jul 23, 2013
Hi Everyone, I would love to vist the Gambia by November this year. The problem is, I have no idea how to go about it. Please can I get direction from those who have been there about:
( a) cost of a road trip (I would love to return by air-heard AERO does direct flight to Banjul) (b)affordable hotels (c)places of interest (d) going by road where is the best place to board a vehicle. Thanks in advance for your response
Re: A Trip To The Gambia-direction Needed, Please! by Godson201333(m): 6:46am On Jul 24, 2013
onemecarl: Hi Everyone, I would love to vist the Gambia by November this year. The problem is, I have no idea how to go about it. Please can I get direction from those who have been there about:
( a) cost of a road trip (I would love to return by air-heard AERO does direct flight to Banjul) (b)affordable hotels (c)places of interest (d) going by road where is the best place to board a vehicle. Thanks in advance for your response

First of all...Aero doesn't fly Gambia but only Ghana.

Going to Gambia by road might take you a week and i can tell that you are not an experienced traveler...So you might not be able to take the risk.

Gambia is located right inside Senegal so yeah its a tourist centre with a lot of nice beaches but a little bit expensive..

You can easily get your round ticket down there i think..

For you to explore Gambia by road...you will need alot of Money...

By road,You need to get to Ghana first ------1 day journey from Nigeria..

Ghana -----------Burkina Faso-----------2 days from Ghana.

Mali -----Senegal.....2 or 3 days.

Senegal ---Gambia....1 day

So for you to try all these trips without the knowledge of french is gonna expose you to alot of danger..It was a great experience for me !
Re: A Trip To The Gambia-direction Needed, Please! by onemecarl: 9:47am On Jul 24, 2013
Thanks Godson201333. I think Arik has direct flight to Senegal. Maybe I would consider that instead of taking that risk. So what was your experience?
Re: A Trip To The Gambia-direction Needed, Please! by Godson201333(m): 11:41am On Jul 24, 2013
onemecarl: Thanks Godson201333. I think Arik has direct flight to Senegal. Maybe I would consider that instead of taking that risk. So what was your experience?

Apart from Risk,Traveling by road can be much more interesting than by air.It gives you more traveling experience,exposure and courage.

You get to know alot of countries,learn culture and during my trips,I tried to spend at least days in each of the countries cos i got friends all over..

Arik do not fly Senegal!

But My advise is you could catch some flight from cotonou..

Like ,Air senegal,Air Burkina,Air Mali...
Re: A Trip To The Gambia-direction Needed, Please! by 25omega(m): 2:24pm On Jul 24, 2013
when i went to Gambia more than 10 years ago we used Ghana airways. The only thing with that trip was it felt like travelling by road due to all the stops they made. You might also want to look at air afrique if they are still in existence. They fly from Nigeria to senegal direct also they fly to gambia.

Senegal to Gambia by road is one day as the other guy said i know because i experienced it. We took a station wagon from Dakar to the Gambian border and had our passports checked then we had to board another station wagon to the river gambia. Then we boarded the ferry and then another taxi to out final destination.
Re: A Trip To The Gambia-direction Needed, Please! by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 24, 2013
@25omega......very very correct.......l went through same when l went to Gambia in 2003.....The ferry is sometimes risky, some couple of years ago, it capsized in the middle of the ocean due to over-loading and every body on board died, l don't know if they have improved their ferry services now...l will suggest the OP go by flight from cotonou,lome or Ghana, the immigration and customs on that route can be very intimidating if they know you are a Nigerian, and they extort lots of money from travellers on that route.
25omega: when i went to Gambia more than 10 years ago we used Ghana airways. The only thing with that trip was it felt like travelling by road due to all the stops they made. You might also want to look at air afrique if they are still in existence. They fly from Nigeria to senegal direct also they fly to gambia.

Senegal to Gambia by road is one day as the other guy said i know because i experienced it. We took a station wagon from Dakar to the Gambian border and had our passports checked then we had to board another station wagon to the river gambia. Then we boarded the ferry and then another taxi to out final destination.
Re: A Trip To The Gambia-direction Needed, Please! by onemecarl: 9:55am On Jul 25, 2013
@25omega and ogakpatakpata, thanks so much for your contributions. Any idea about hotels in Gambia and their rates?
Re: A Trip To The Gambia-direction Needed, Please! by henrimoto(m): 10:00am On Jul 25, 2013
great travellers... i greet! nothing like experience.
Re: A Trip To The Gambia-direction Needed, Please! by Nobody: 10:08am On Jul 25, 2013
@onemecarl...........l can't recall how much l paid per night in the hotel during my 2weeks visit to The Gambia in 2003, their currency is called Gambia dalasi,( l hope that spelling is correct) has much value within the Gambia, hotels are expensive depending on which part of the Gambia.........l will suggest you use w.w.w.hrs.com to find the prices for cheaper hotels in the Gambia.......hope this helps you...enjoy your week....
onemecarl: @25omega and ogakpatakpata, thanks so much for your contributions. Any idea about hotels in Gambia and their rates?
Re: A Trip To The Gambia-direction Needed, Please! by Godson201333(m): 10:22am On Jul 25, 2013
ogakpatakpata: @25omega...........l can't recall how much l paid per night in the hotel during my 2weeks visit to The Gambia in 2003, their currency is called Gambia dalasi,( l hope that spelling is correct) has much value within the Gambia, hotels are expensive depending on which part of the Gambia.........l will suggest you use w.w.w.hrs.com to find the prices for cheaper hotels in the Gambia.......hope this helps you...enjoy your week....

well you might be able to find some cheap Hotels for 50 dollars per night.

You could also spend some nice time at YMCA,They got rooms at cheaper rate in Banjul.

Enjoy the white sand Beaches!!!
Re: A Trip To The Gambia-direction Needed, Please! by 25omega(m): 2:40pm On Jul 25, 2013
well i have no idea as to hotel rates because i stayed with friends. They have some really nice beaches and he people are kind and friendly. currently 1 Dalasi = 4.40 naira so you will have to factor that before you go over there.
Re: A Trip To The Gambia-direction Needed, Please! by Sedc: 4:04pm On Nov 26, 2014
[quote author=Godson201333 post=16988721] bros like how much can aford to take a trp to gambia by road bros

My uncle is sick I want to help him back to Nigeria
Re: A Trip To The Gambia-direction Needed, Please! by alpha264: 12:03pm On Feb 08, 2015
Does any1 know or can help me. Do I need yellow fever vaccine and yellow card before I travel to gambia?
Thanks a lot

(1) (Reply)

Germany 6 Month Job Seeking Visa / Information: Travelling To Ghana / Visa Free Countries For Nigerians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.