Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,741 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:21 PM

Kenya: Nigerians Protest Kenya Govt Harassment - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kenya: Nigerians Protest Kenya Govt Harassment (763 Views)

Photos: Nigerians Protest Over ‘crazy’ PHCN Bills In Abuja / Nigerians Protest At MTN, Multichoice, And Shoprite Offices' Outlet / South African Wives Of Nigerians Protest In Johannesburg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kenya: Nigerians Protest Kenya Govt Harassment by cjrane: 9:50pm On Jul 24, 2013
Nigerian nationals living and doing business in Kenya yesterday held a protest match over what they called "harassment by the Kenyan government".

Hundreds of Nigerians gathered at the Nigerian High Commissioner's office on Lenana road and asked the commissioner to intervene and ensure that they are not harassed.

"Since controversial businessman Anthony Chinedu was deported, the government of Kenya has been haraassing and intimidating Nigerians. We have been labeled drug traffickers, con-men and other names," said Joe Oladimeji the president of the National Association of Nigerians in Kenya.

The Nigerians said they obey the law and that the government should handle their issues fairly without intimidation.

They said police officers without identity have been arresting Nigerians and extorting money from them.

"The immigration officers have told us that they cannot renew our visas because they have orders from above. We know it is the government which has given those orders. A group of students from Nigeria were denied permit and turned away at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport," Oladimeji said.

They said it has become difficult and expensive for a Nigerian to live and do business in Kenya.

"We want our ambassador Akin Oyateru to be recalled. Recently he accompanied President Uhuru Kenyatta to Nigeria and he told President Goodluck Jonathan that everything is well in Kenya. This man does not know his job. We are suffering and he is doing little to help us," they said.

Festus Ade said the government should tell them to leave Kenya instead of harassing them.

"Leaving Kenya has consequences. Once I arrive in Lagos , I will mobilise Nigerians to flush out Kenyans. Kenyans should be aware because if this is not resolved, they will have it rough in Nigeria," Ade said.

He said the Commissioner accompanied President Uhuru Kenyatta to Nigeria and has not returned

Nigerians were told to meet the deputy high commissioner last evening to present their grievances.

"Its so sad because the good relationship we have built with Kenya over the last 40 years, Oyateru has destroyed it in a month. During Wilcox Wigwes times, we used to have Niger night and Nolly -wood stars and Nigerian musicians used to come to Kenya," Ade said.

He said Oyateru is not keen on holding such events and consequently Nigerians reputation has been tainted.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201307240802.html
Re: Kenya: Nigerians Protest Kenya Govt Harassment by cjrane: 9:54pm On Jul 24, 2013
So why should Kenyans continue to enjoy and flaunt themselves in Nigeria?

What type of insensitive government do we have,that cannot feel the pain of her citizens to apply the principle of reciprocity to this treatment of her nationals?
Re: Kenya: Nigerians Protest Kenya Govt Harassment by idumuose(m): 11:53pm On Jul 24, 2013
My question is how many Kenyans are living in Nigeria?
Except,ofcourse their diplomats in kenyan embassy in Abj.
Where else do we have kenyan community in Nigeria?if Ɣ☺u
know tell me please.
Re: Kenya: Nigerians Protest Kenya Govt Harassment by Nobody: 12:52am On Jul 25, 2013
C as d hausa nd aboki dun make our country tight..xo tey no space agen
abeg if una tyer,lif dat desert cum hous jare...our leaderz dey do gudface..insted of dem2 tish dat hungri contri lesn
*by d way did i say 2day z ma betdyHBD 2me
Re: Kenya: Nigerians Protest Kenya Govt Harassment by cjrane: 9:13pm On Jul 25, 2013
idumuose: My question is how many Kenyans are living in Nigeria?
Except,ofcourse their diplomats in kenyan embassy in Abj.
Where else do we have kenyan community in Nigeria?if Ɣ☺u
know tell me please.

Yes, a lot of Kenyans live and even studying in Nigeria and pay school fees as "Nigerian citizens!" AND THEY ARE NOT ALL DIPLOMATS.
Nigeria is more populated than Kenya,thus more Nigerians may live in Kenya.

However, Kenya benefit MORE from its relationship with Nigeria than does Nigeria.
For instance, Kenya now has KQ Kenya Airways flying "NIGERIANS" from Nairobi to Lagos and now Abuja has been added to their daily flights. While NO NIGERIAN AIRLINE fills the Nigerian slot for that route as required by the spirit of the BASA.

If Kenya continue to harrass Nigerians needlessly, apart from checking the immigration status to the Kenyans in Nigeria,they should stop the cheating being perpetrated by the Kenyan Airways,until a Nigerian airline is accredited by the Kenya govt. to fill Nigeria's slot in the agreement.

(1) (Reply)

Three Teenagers Killed In Stampede While Gov Wammako’s Hands Out Ramadan Gifts / Can D Lagos State Govt B Dis Wicked??!!! Letter Frm Gov. Peter Obi To GEJ / Fasola Has Been Secretly Goading Igbos To Leave Lagos Since 2009

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.