Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,200 members, 7,829,288 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard (1071 Views)

What's The Greatest/most Glaring Lie(s) You've Been Told ? / Name(s) You Don't Want To Answer Again. / The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 25, 2013
What's the weirdest name you've ever heard.Mine should be "who knows tomorrow".Knew a kid by that name while growing up.Couldn't imagine why a parent would name his/her that.It's even a question.
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nomski0(f): 7:43am On Jul 25, 2013
Breakthrough
Overcomer
Rainbow
North West
weirdest of all- 'God dey'
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Sunnycliff(m): 7:48am On Jul 25, 2013
i was surprised to hear the name given to a baby by the parents as FUTURE
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by buoye1(m): 8:19am On Jul 25, 2013
IKU-NBA-OMORIN......a yoruba name meaning death is d baby's companion
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by makahlj2: 8:36am On Jul 25, 2013
Goodluck.
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Masta01(m): 8:59am On Jul 25, 2013
ebele
joo no tan
mark
ekeweremadu
anyim
and tinubu
more to come
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by uboma(m): 10:00am On Jul 25, 2013
I just met a lady bearing 'Tokumbo'. My first time of hearing and seeing a human bearing such.
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 25, 2013
buoye1: IKU-NBA-OMORIN......a yoruba name meaning death is d baby's companion
are u kidding me?! Jeez!
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nobody: 10:20am On Jul 25, 2013
uboma: I just met a lady bearing 'Tokumbo'. My first time of hearing and seeing a human bearing such.
Tokunbo,u mean? It's a yoruba name 4rm which tokunbo as used for 2nd hand stuff was derived.
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nobody: 10:24am On Jul 25, 2013
I know a few people by the name "thank god".Na their parents dey grateful to god pass?
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nobody: 10:26am On Jul 25, 2013
ebele
joo no tan
mark
ekeweremadu
anyim
and tinubu
more to come[/color][/quote] Mark is a biblical name na.I think it means the same thing as Marcus.
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by uboma(m): 10:38am On Jul 25, 2013
Beretta92: Tokunbo,u mean? It's a yoruba name 4rm which tokunbo as used for 2nd hand stuff was derived.

Thanks for the clarification! Pls tell us the meaning of 'Tokunbo' when used as a name for humans.
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nobody: 12:40pm On Jul 25, 2013
Well,I'm not yoruba but I think it means "from abroad".Literally,it means "from over the seas" cos okun in yoruba means river or any water body.It could be preceeded by a prefix such as Ola(wealth),therefore meaning wealth 4rm abroad.I believe the actual meaning is the reason for its use for 2nd hand stuff cos some are brought from overseas.
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by AbuMikey(m): 1:26pm On Jul 25, 2013
Reserved de la comment!
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by 1shortblackboy: 2:00pm On Jul 25, 2013
bayelsa people got the strangest names ever

dollar
opportunity
gunboat

ps I know somebody called tolerance!.....wat gives !
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by chukxie(m): 3:33pm On Jul 27, 2013
Scholarstica ! I used to have a friend by that name! I wonder what her parents were thinking when they gave her such a name. Perhaps they thought it would make smart or something.
Boniface is another name i find very funny. However the funniest and weirdest is Moneyhard! I hard a friend by that name in primary school. Till date i've not been able to figure out why his parents chose such a negative name for him.

1 Like

Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jul 27, 2013
chukxie: Scholarstica !

NO WAY!! grin grin
wow.
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by chukxie(m): 3:53pm On Jul 27, 2013
*Kails*:

NO WAY!! grin grin
wow.

The name carry weight no be lie!
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nobody: 4:49pm On Jul 27, 2013
@Chukxie,Scholarstica is a catholic-christian name.There's this catholic saint whose twin sister went by that name and this sister could do miracles.So I guess that Scholarstica of yours should be a catholic.
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Ilaje44(m): 6:33pm On Jul 27, 2013
Beretta92: Well,I'm not yoruba but I think it means "from abroad".Literally,it means "from over the seas" cos okun in yoruba means river or any water body.It could be preceeded by a prefix such as Ola(wealth),therefore meaning wealth 4rm abroad.I believe the actual meaning is the reason for its use for 2nd hand stuff cos some are brought from overseas.

You were correct until you wrote: OKUN means RIVER/water body. If you have said water body, you might have probably be right, because OKUN is also a body of water. OKUN is the Yoruba word for the SEA. A river is an ODO (re, do). Ti okun bo (from sea arrive) means come from (over) seas. In other words, Tokunbo is coming from travel/sojourn. Furthermore, Tokunbo is not used generally to depict all "used items", but only those from Abroad, especially, and perhaps only used cars from Abroad. Atleast that's how it used be 20 or 25 years ago.
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nobody: 6:42pm On Jul 27, 2013
chukxie:

The name carry weight no be lie!

wow..
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nobody: 6:48pm On Jul 27, 2013
Ilaje44:

You were correct until you wrote: OKUN means RIVER/water body. If you have said water body, you might have probably be right, because OKUN is also a body of water. OKUN is the Yoruba word for the SEA. A river is an ODO (re, do). Ti okun bo (from sea arrive) means come from (over) seas. In other words, Tokunbo is coming from travel/sojourn. Furthermore, Tokunbo is not used generally to depict all "used items", but only those from Abroad, especially, and perhaps only used cars from Abroad. Atleast that's how it used be 20 or 25 years ago.
Yeah,right.Odo is river.I totally forgot odo while typing that.
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by uboma(m): 7:07pm On Jul 27, 2013
Ilaje44:

Thanks for the clarification. I now understand the name, 'tukunbo' better.
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by uboma(m): 7:10pm On Jul 27, 2013
I have seen people bear 'Wisdom', 'Miracle', 'Mayor', and 'Melody'. Are these really names in themselves? They sound very funny.
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nobody: 8:48pm On Jul 27, 2013
yall dont want me to get started on american/western names grin grin
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by MrsChima(f): 8:53pm On Jul 27, 2013
*Kails*:

angry I dare you!
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jul 27, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

angry I dare you!

Bobisha

Bombshika

angry angry grin

@thread im just kidding.
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by chukxie(m): 12:57am On Jul 28, 2013
Beretta92: @Chukxie,Scholarstica is a catholic-christian name.There's this catholic saint whose twin sister went by that name and this sister could do miracles.So I guess that Scholarstica of yours should be a catholic.

Spot on! She was catholic!
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nobody: 7:34am On Jul 28, 2013
Recently met someone named "Amazing grace".Isn't "grace" enough?And a friend of my sister's goes by the name "faithful".That's an adjective for crying out loud!Whatever happened to "faith"?
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nobody: 7:36am On Jul 28, 2013
*Kails*:
Come on,we wanna hear them.
Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by meemeee: 1:20pm On Jul 29, 2013
what about "Cletus" or " ;paulinus' grin

1 Like

Re: Weirdest Name(s) You've Ever Heard by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jul 29, 2013
meemeee: what about "Cletus"

lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWKbiV9hCWM

(1) (Reply)

Are Mason And Other Cults Bad? / 16 Signs You Are Emotionally Intelligent / Message Behind Sia’s Videos “chandelier”, “elastic Heart” And “big Girls Cry”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.