Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,984 members, 7,835,300 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:18 AM

Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality (12601 Views)

What The Earth Would Look Like If The Planets Were As Close As The Moon / My View Of The Full Moon From Lokoja(picture) / Saturday Night Full Moon Said To Be The Closest To Earth This Year (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by launique: 11:41pm On Jul 25, 2013
A full Moon can disturb a good night's sleep, scientists believe.

Researchers found evidence of a "lunar influence" in a study of 33 volunteers sleeping in tightly controlled laboratory conditions.

When the Moon was round, the volunteers took longer to nod off and had poorer quality sleep, despite being shut in a darkened room, Current Biology reports.

They also had a dip in levels of a hormone called melatonin that is linked to natural-body clock cycles.

When it is dark, the body makes more melatonin. And it produces less when it is light.

Being exposed to bright lights in the evening or too little light during the day can disrupt the body's normal melatonin cycles.

But the work in Current Biology, by Prof Christian Cajochen and colleagues from Basel University in Switzerland, suggests the Moon's effects may be unrelated to its brightness.
Lunar rhythms

The volunteers were unaware of the purpose of the study and could not see the Moon from their beds in the researchers' sleep lab.

They each spent two separate nights at the lab under close observation.

Findings revealed that around the full Moon, brain activity related to deep sleep dropped by nearly a third. Melatonin levels also dipped.

The volunteers also took five minutes longer to fall asleep and slept for 20 minutes less when there was a full Moon.

Prof Cajochen said: "The lunar cycle seems to influence human sleep, even when one does not 'see' the Moon and is not aware of the actual moon phase."

Some people may be exquisitely sensitive to the Moon, say the researchers.

Their study did not originally set out to investigate a lunar effect. The researchers had the idea of doing the lunar analysis years later, while chatting over a few drinks.

They went back to their old data and factored in whether or not there had been a full Moon on the nights the volunteers had slept in their lab.

UK sleep expert Dr Neil Stanley said, nonetheless, the small study appeared to have significant findings.

"There is a such a strong cultural story around the full Moon that it would not be surprising if it has an effect.

"It's one of these folk things that you would suspect has a germ of truth.

"It's up to science now to find out what's the cause of why we might sleep differently when there's a full Moon."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23405941

2 Likes

Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by bmasz(m): 10:39am On Jul 26, 2013
I now know why I have difficulty sleeping most night
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by launique: 12:29pm On Jul 26, 2013
bmasz: I now know why I have difficulty sleeping most night
grin

1 Like

Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by scientology(m): 10:36pm On Jul 26, 2013
na wa wetin we do today from head of 4yr old boy ritual..now warewolves are openeing frnt page topic undecided undecided undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by stonemind(f): 10:37pm On Jul 26, 2013
.ohhh my f**king god hope i'm nt
dreaming 4th to comment? ha guys/girls pls how many question did i ask
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by 1bunne4lif(m): 10:39pm On Jul 26, 2013
Ok. This might be true. Well, i'll have to study it my self so as to ascertain the authenticity of their claim.

1 Like

Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by Gwekzy: 10:39pm On Jul 26, 2013
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by tspun(m): 10:40pm On Jul 26, 2013
like seriously.?

1 Like

Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by JENMAUCY(f): 10:41pm On Jul 26, 2013
I hear
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by guttentag(m): 10:42pm On Jul 26, 2013
Been broke can lead to sleepless Night Too

la_unique: A full Moon can disturb a good night's sleep, scientists believe.

Researchers found evidence of a "lunar influence" in a study of 33 volunteers sleeping in tightly controlled laboratory conditions.

When the Moon was round, the volunteers took longer to nod off and had poorer quality sleep, despite being shut in a darkened room, Current Biology reports.

They also had a dip in levels of a hormone called melatonin that is linked to natural-body clock cycles.

When it is dark, the body makes more melatonin. And it produces less when it is light.

Being exposed to bright lights in the evening or too little light during the day can disrupt the body's normal melatonin cycles.

But the work in Current Biology, by Prof Christian Cajochen and colleagues from Basel University in Switzerland, suggests the Moon's effects may be unrelated to its brightness.
Lunar rhythms

The volunteers were unaware of the purpose of the study and could not see the Moon from their beds in the researchers' sleep lab.

They each spent two separate nights at the lab under close observation.

Findings revealed that around the full Moon, brain activity related to deep sleep dropped by nearly a third. Melatonin levels also dipped.

The volunteers also took five minutes longer to fall asleep and slept for 20 minutes less when there was a full Moon.

Prof Cajochen said: "The lunar cycle seems to influence human sleep, even when one does not 'see' the Moon and is not aware of the actual moon phase."

Some people may be exquisitely sensitive to the Moon, say the researchers.

Their study did not originally set out to investigate a lunar effect. The researchers had the idea of doing the lunar analysis years later, while chatting over a few drinks.

They went back to their old data and factored in whether or not there had been a full Moon on the nights the volunteers had slept in their lab.

UK sleep expert Dr Neil Stanley said, nonetheless, the small study appeared to have significant findings.

"There is a such a strong cultural story around the full Moon that it would not be surprising if it has an effect.

"It's one of these folk things that you would suspect has a germ of truth.

"It's up to science now to find out what's the cause of why we might sleep differently when there's a full Moon."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-23405941
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by Jayses(m): 10:42pm On Jul 26, 2013
Scientist on point , studying irrelevant tinz too

1 Like

Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by decoco(m): 10:42pm On Jul 26, 2013
I love science.it wil always give xplanation to everi strange findings
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by dareyking(m): 10:43pm On Jul 26, 2013
Na agbero or driver em 4 go put 4 those their fake room...me wey go dn wake 4am in the mawin na hm 1 use full moon go wnt deny me ma share of sleep...ehn...we will met in court..
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by fishkaveli(m): 10:46pm On Jul 26, 2013
I don't believe dis....
Be it 3/4,1/2 or full moon I dey always "get" smooth sleep.
Ask ma room mate if u tink am lying.

1 Like

Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by stonemind(f): 10:46pm On Jul 26, 2013
@fishkaveli are u gay?? u look cool
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jul 26, 2013
bmasz: I now know why I have difficulty sleeping most night
What planet are you on? is the moon always full on those nights too?
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by Nobody: 10:47pm On Jul 26, 2013
But it's part of d 16 hours light ni
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by fishkaveli(m): 10:51pm On Jul 26, 2013
stone-mind:
@fishkaveli are u gay?? u look cool
What!!!
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by seunlayi(m): 10:53pm On Jul 26, 2013
off to another thread
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by kekakuz(m): 10:56pm On Jul 26, 2013
Everytym i have nighmares,ii wake up to find the moon shinning directly on me from the window
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by Nobody: 10:58pm On Jul 26, 2013
Through out 2day,na rubbish Ĵΰ§τ̅ dey enter Fp.No better topic and story 4 person 2 read,I swear,NL bored me 2day.
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by ikechukz(m): 11:00pm On Jul 26, 2013
Me and my werewolf brothers don't sleep during the full moon....So i've never noticed it.
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by lafex: 11:00pm On Jul 26, 2013
i beg weitin b d essence of this 2us nw
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by vero4nice: 11:05pm On Jul 26, 2013
Well we need more research but i don't see how that affects me anyway.
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by redsun(m): 11:10pm On Jul 26, 2013
lafex: i beg weitin b d essence of this 2us nw

The essence is to understand the natural rhythm,i might help you stop wasting your money on pastors or babalawo.That our earth function properly today is because of the position of moon,without the moon,there is literally no earth.

3 Likes

Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by Nobody: 11:11pm On Jul 26, 2013
werewolves on mission grin

I FEEL A LIL BIT UNCOMFORTAble beFoRe a full moon.. my wHolE body seemS to groW strongeR.. i feeL more hairY and i aLways craVe for BlooD in a strong way.. all on a full mo0n niGht... i alWAyS asK my giRlfrEind to tiE me up beforE the moon getS full.. coz if shE dosNt, i alwayS wakE up nEaR ouR landloRD's barN and all His chiCkenS killeD by mE...

TELL ME HOW PERSON WEY DEY SUFFER ALL DIS IN A FULL MOON GO SLEEP
dis bloody scientists are ryt.. lol..
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by donigspain(m): 11:11pm On Jul 26, 2013
I knew it! Damn, I knew am right...
From a personal research I conducted which lasted over a period of two years, I observed a strong correlation between the lunar cycle and my moods (emotions). I saw myself having gloomy moods usually during full moons. My roomie in school even said something about it that I always act emotionally withdrawn in particular times of the month (time between month end and the beginning of the next).
Whenever I noticed I've been gloomy for two days stretch without a reason I would look up and true to my guess, it would be a full moon. Anyways, am working on getting over that time controlled mood swing. I don't know about sleep quality but am soooo sure about the mood angle.

Where's my buddy Billyonaire?
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by fr3do(m): 11:13pm On Jul 26, 2013
1bunne4lif: Ok. This might be true. Well, i'll have to study it my self so as to ascertain the authenticity of their claim.

u cant pertake in the experiment
ur mind is already biased
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by Aghagba(f): 11:14pm On Jul 26, 2013
If slip catch u no go know weda na full moon/half moon.mtcheew science

1 Like

Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by stonemind(f): 11:15pm On Jul 26, 2013
fishkaveli:
What!!!
c'mon dnt be shy!
Re: Full Moon Affects Sleep Quality by Nobody: 11:18pm On Jul 26, 2013
THE OP IS RIGHT
SOMETIMES I HAVE THESE DREAMS
WHERE IM COVERED IN FUR AND HOWLING
THEN IM CHASING OTHER ANIMALS
THEN I WAKE UP WITH BLOOD ALL OVER
MY BODY AND IN MY MOUTH BUT NOT MY BLOOD. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Youverify Launches Youid, An All-in-one Security And Lifestyle App / Www.eskimi.com – M.eskimi.com Download App / Electricity Supply Drops To 2,817.05MW - Federal Ministry Of Power

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.