Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,264 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

A Looming Disaster? Nigeria's Population Projected To Surpass USA's In 40 Years! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Looming Disaster? Nigeria's Population Projected To Surpass USA's In 40 Years! (603 Views)

How Do I Avert An Impending Doom Looming Around Me ? / Perfectly Timed Disaster Photos / Unmarried Mothers To Be Fined In Chinese City To Cut Size Of Population (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Looming Disaster? Nigeria's Population Projected To Surpass USA's In 40 Years! by Laajman(m): 8:38pm On Jul 26, 2013
Yes, in 40 years Nigeria's population, currently estimated to be ~170mm is expected to surpass USA's (~320m).

While 40 years might appear to be far off, I imagine most Nairalanders would still be very much around. And kicking hard. So this affects all of us.

Personally, I find this very troubling. Firstly, our land mass is smaller than Texas'. Where would be house a population twice our current size? I can't imagine the effect on our environment and strain on whatever little infrastructure we currently have, and building. Lagos is already bursting at its seams. I read about some beggars being deported to Onitsha about a week ago. Is this the beginning of a long-term, but perhaps necessary, trend?

More troubling is that by then crude oil wouldn't be trading at $100+, if at all. It's foreseeable that there will already be an alternative by that time. How will our Government function?? Even more troubling is the fact that our child enrolment numbers are among the poorest, globally. Imagine the implication of having a large and most illiterate population.

Would it be out of place for Government to start enforcing birth controls like in China where folks were restricted to just a child/family? Apparently, this worked for them to keep their population in check. On the flip side, this has led to stunted population growth and their workforce shrunk, for the first time ever, last year. While children are definitely bundles of joy, is it fair to sire an inordinate number of them recklessly?

Quite frankly, I think this is a serious issue, and at the very least, it should be placed and debated on NL's front page.
Re: A Looming Disaster? Nigeria's Population Projected To Surpass USA's In 40 Years! by tpia5: 11:53pm On Jul 26, 2013
maybe immigration and emigration will even things out.
Re: A Looming Disaster? Nigeria's Population Projected To Surpass USA's In 40 Years! by Laajman(m): 11:39am On Jul 27, 2013
I don't think emigration would solve it oh. On the contrary, immigration from those folks in Niger simply strolling into those Northern states would worsen it. Can't those folks pass for hausa people.

I think the birth rate outpaces the death rate by a large margin, maybe 2-1.
Re: A Looming Disaster? Nigeria's Population Projected To Surpass USA's In 40 Years! by tpia5: 2:02pm On Jul 27, 2013
Well, other countries can invite nigeria to help them develop their areas, this will encourage migration.

(1) (Reply)

Worlds Richest Black Womansplashes About 100 M On 4 G-wagons For Sons / Shocking:cameroonian Woman Nabbed With A Sold Nigerian Baby!! / Crunchy Garri Available In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.