Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,059 members, 7,814,644 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

Stinking Hypocrisy - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Stinking Hypocrisy (2461 Views)

The Hypocrisy / Stinking Pussies: Women Learn Your Hygiene! / Facing The Hypocrisy Of Men (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stinking Hypocrisy by Nobody: 6:31am On Jul 27, 2013
The Maid beaten to death with neighbours who heard and ignored her cries till she was murdered kept me up all night.
Some of the excuses here was people don't know how to contact NAPTIP.
Yet we have phones, can google search all the useless topics but when it comes to taking positive actions we can't simply google search ways to help others.
I just don't get it, we can't do the most minimal thing to make the lives of others more bearable but we are the most religious.
We won't use google to search for help for battered kids and women but we can search for just everything else
I googled most searched topics in Nigeria and this is what I found:

Boko Haram, Davido, Mercy Johnson top Google’s 2012 most searched topics in Nigeria
in Entertainment, News

What did Nigerians search for on the web in 2012? According to Google’s annual Zeitgeist list, Davido, Victor Moses, Rashidi Yekini, Whitney Houston were some of the most searched people of 2012.

Actress Mercy Johnson also ends the year on high notes.

Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Boko Haram, ASUU strike, Vanguard News were some of the most searched terms of 2012.

Trending
Sports Teams

Chelsea
Arsenal
Barcelona
Real Madrid
Liverpool
Manchester United
Reading
AC Milan
Manchester City
Everton
Most Searched

How to…

How to love
How to romance
How to rap
How to toast
How to crochet
How to dress
How to assage
How to blog
How to freestyle
How to concentrate

Meanwhile a simple google search will give you the following results for NAPTIP

HEAD OFFICE
No 2028 Dalaba Street, Wuse Zone 5, F.C.T Abuja Nigeria.
P.M.B. 5161, Wuse, Abuja
EMAIL: info@naptip.gov.ng
HOTLINES:   07030000203, 0800CALLNAPTIP (08002255627847) Toll Free

LAGOS OFFICE
165 Oba Ladejobi Street G.R.A Ikeja, Lagos State. EMAIL: infolagos@naptip.gov.ng
HOTLINE: 07080601801(Toll Free For Airtel Callers)

BENIN OFFICE
47 Adesuwa College,
GRA, Benin City,
P.O. Box 267, Edo State EMAIL: infobenin@naptip.gov.ng
HOTLINE: 07080601802 (Toll Free For Airtel Callers)

UYO OFFICE
Plot 40, Akwa Ima Estate, Ikot Akpan Abia, Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.,
EMAIL: infouyo@naptip.gov.ng
HOTLINE: 07080601804 (Toll Free For Airtel Callers)

ENUGU OFFICE
18B, Ekulu Street, Behind ESUT Teaching Hospital GRA, Enugu State. EMAIL: infoenugu@naptip.gov.ng
HOTLINE: 07080601803(Toll Free For Airtel Callers)

KANO OFFICE
98 Foundation Road,
Farm Centre, Nassarawa,
GRA, Kano State. EMAIL: infokano@naptip.gov.ng
HOTLINE: 07080601800(Toll Free For Airtel Callers)

SOKOTO OFFICE
7, Bunza Road, off Hussein Clinic Dogon Daji Area Sokoto, Sokoto State
EMAIL: infosokoto@naptip.gov.ng
HOTLINE: 07080601805(Toll Free For Airtel Callers)

MAIDUGURI OFFICE
Kwajaffa Street, Off Gombale Road,
Old GRA Maiduguri,
Borno State EMAIL: infomaiduguri@naptip.gov.ng HOTLINE: 07080601806(Toll Free For Airtel Callers)

3 Likes

Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by oriire(f): 6:57am On Jul 27, 2013
debrife08, am just new here but have seen most of ur topic and contributions which challenged me. Pls i need ur assistance. This is my email-temitopeolajide@ymail.com and line-08031538557. I will be glad to ur response. Thank u.

1 Like

Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by thorpido(m): 7:24am On Jul 27, 2013
It's really sad.We need a re-orientation in this country and i don't know when that will happen.We've just got wrong priorities.

I hope the police have stepped into your neighbour's issue.
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by oriire(f): 7:53am On Jul 27, 2013
@debrife08 am highly grateful
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by greatgod2012(f): 8:03am On Jul 27, 2013
@debrief, spon on!

You know, the most annoying part is that, when horrible things are happening, people prefer to use their mobiles to take pictures and videos and post it on the internet, instead of using their mobiles to call the police or make emmergency calls that will help to salvage those in problem, for example, the aluu 4.
May God help us o.

2 Likes

Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by Nobody: 8:18am On Jul 27, 2013

5 Likes

Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by Nobody: 8:39am On Jul 27, 2013
CC, NAPTIP advertises, infact they have a TV drama series running, except the person doesn't live in Nigeria or doesn't watch local channels.
Nigerians are mentally lazy, not deep, we like surface and can't go deep. If the Agencies spend all their money on adverts remembering that they are not profit making what will be left to work? Fund court cases so those arrested won't get away?
Let's do our bit too. The recent misinterpretation of section 29 got me deeply sad, Nigerians have not even read their own constitution, Nigerians don't even know what a public hearing is and they don't have time to attend one its even the villagers who organize themselves and attend more than we the so called educated ones, no one need to tell them, if there is an issue these villagers collect signatures and write to their reps us the educated ones don't even know our senators, councilors and representatives at state at national level.
Leeave that one, what about road safety that has their emergency numbers everywhere, writen on all their cars, how many actually take time while waiting in taffic to copy road safety number?
We want to be spoon fed, being a citizen comes with responsibilities, let's stop the excuses know our duties and do them abeg

2 Likes

Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by Nobody: 8:42am On Jul 27, 2013
Government doesn't take out advert on birthdays individuals do.
Government agencies are under a budget, if they spend all their money on adverts when the cases come what money is left to handle the cases?
If we take time to deeply study these things then well meaning individuals who want to support a cause can say okay we will handle the publicity aspect of this.
Abroad is it not individuals and NGOs that do most of the enlightenment?
How do these NGOs get support for causes through support of normal people 5pounds 10 pounds a month but here we will prefer to buy the next bentley and dash pastor than identify and support any cause
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by damiso(f): 8:44am On Jul 27, 2013
chaircover: To be honest I dont know of many of these Govt agencies and I only come across them when they are mentioned on threads. Up until yesterday I'd never heard of Naptip.

Debrief I get your frustrations, but the thing is not many people know about these agencies and not many people will even know what to look for in google.

Ive just typed in a search for "who to report child abuse in Nigeria" and google came back with a lot of irrelevant results, NAPTIP is not on the first page or second page and I didnt go any further than that.

The govt agencies themselves should spend more time and money in "advertising" themselves and making themselves known. The Govt spends billions on irrelevant things. Taking a 5 minute slot each evening during the NTA news will help enlighten people. Its only Airtel, GTB et all that take huge billboard adverts; why??
In Lagos the other day I saw huge signboards of Tinubus late mum; these signboards could be used to "advertise" important Govt messages which will be of more benefit to the people.

people take out full page adverts to wish someone happy birthday, why cant the govt do same? If the people dont go to the agencies, then the agencies should go to the people.

You mean well, but how about opening a thread with a title that clearly portrays the content. So that it gets indexed on nairaland and thus google.
CC is right.Here you know who to call if a child is being abused, the NSPCC spends loads on adverts . Their adverts air almost every day on both terrestrial and cable channels.

That case is sad but you know what debrief some people dont even see some things as abuse (sickening I know).Also govt agencies on Nigeria are generally not too popular with the masses.You and I are well read and confident enough to ask for accountability from these people but do you really think that woman selling roasted corn at Badia will report something to Naptip?

We need education for alot of people but even more so for the lower classes.Run ads that everyone can relate to to be able to spot abuse.Put readily available nos that people can call anonymously.If I call 999 I can get info on how to report abuse.All that long info might put people off.

That said, we need to stand up more to people we know that do such amongst us.If your friend starts slapping and punching her 14 yr old househelp for burning soup,tell her off, dont keep quiet. I had to shout at a woman in Bariga who was punching her own child for using 5 naira to buy biscuit (I was making my hair with her).I had been braiding for like 5 hours and the poor girl and had no snack in between.This was a 5 yr old child.Yeah she should have asked but punching? angry.Oloun poverty has robbed alot of people of common sense and most times its transferred aggression.
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 27, 2013
Our role as citizens doesn't stop at condemning the Government.
Let's take time dig deep and understand the issues, Government roles, our roles and what gaps need to be filled, but as usual we no get time.
Too busy
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by Nobody: 8:45am On Jul 27, 2013
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by Nobody: 9:28am On Jul 27, 2013
Nigerians have all the time to find out :
1. Who is cheating on who
2. Whose marriage has failed or is failing
3. Who has the biggest car
4. Who did what
5. Make Facebook, twitter and BB "friends" of strangers we don't know and may never need

Yet we don't have time to do the most essential
1. Read our constitution
2. Research Government Agencies
3. Get and keep emergency numbers
4. Read up on first aid
5. Go and check their own health (it is well).
6. Read up about current trends, learn.
6. Read up on a topic before broadcasting or commenting
7. Pass informed knowledge.

1 Like

Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by Alwaystrue(f): 9:51am On Jul 27, 2013
@OP, thanks for the info.
The hypocrisy you spoke about is indeed rife. See the backlash as a result of the child marriage bill. Unfortunately, many of us so have abused these same children we are forming holy holy on. The same way a child being taken into marriage is the same way we have children taken into forced labour.

How right is it to take the services of a small child as a 'house girl'. These small girls who have no voice endure the worst forms of child abuse as seen in the story of the woman who killed her maid. How different are these children from our own children? Are they less human? Is it because they are just less fortunate? Can we do to our children what we do to these 'maids'.
Anyone who takes in an underaged child as a 'maid' should just be prepared to have the maid as a foster or adopted child (more like older child) and be treated as they would their own children.

I have had cause to talk to a lady who was expecting a maid and the way she was already talking about it made me wonder what we actually take love to mean. I told her to ensure she treats the girl as her own daughter because franckly we will all give account o and in that day everyone will be on the same 'level'.

2 Likes

Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by damiso(f): 9:53am On Jul 27, 2013
debrief08: Nigerians have all the time to find out :
1. Who is cheating on who
2. Whose marriage has failed or is failing
3. Who has the biggest car
4. Who did what
5. Make Facebook, twitter and BB "friends" of strangers we don't know and may never need

Yet we don't have time to do the most essential
1. Read our constitution
2. Research Government Agencies
3. Get and keep emergency numbers
4. Read up on first aid
5. Go and check their own health (it is well).
6. Read up about current trends, learn.
6. Read up on a topic before broadcasting or commenting
7. Pass informed knowledge.

Debrief you have very valid points.But you are talking about the social media generation which are mostly educated.Sadly you are quite right that they should know better and dont act like they should.

The other point we are trying to make is this information needs to be more populist in nature not necessarily something you have to dig to find.By all means castigate those who have access to information and misuse it.

But what of those who dont? ?The corn seller who lives in face me I facw you? ?The pepper seller a Mile 2, do you really think these people care if Dbanj just bought bentley? But there is abuse going on in these circles too.

We need a Mass reorientation and this should include ALL strata of society.
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by Nobody: 10:01am On Jul 27, 2013
Damiso, If we educate ourselves won't we educate the corn sellers?
Besides those ones are even more organized, they are the ones who get to attend town hall meetings when we go for project monitoring, they are the ones who question us on why we say a health facility is working when it is not.
They are the ones who tell us who is demanding for and receiving bribes in the community, they are the ones who keep their reps on edge, I am talking of places like Ibadan, Kano, Lagos, Jigawa, the poor people there don't joke with their rights at all.
Its the educated ones who don't have time, too much distractions.
These people tell me more about work than I know myself.
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 27, 2013
They will get the Numbers and call to report "The Bore hole they dug for us here only worked for 1 week and stopped oh".
"The drugs they said are free the people here are asking us to pay oh"
"The road they said they repaired na only half them do oh"
Yet we the educated ones won't even get road safety numbers to call instead we will take accident puctures and be broadcasting "till road safety gets it"
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by Nobody: 10:13am On Jul 27, 2013
damiso:
Debrief you have very valid points.But you are talking about the social media generation which are mostly educated.Sadly you are quite right that they should know better and dont act like they should.

The other point we are trying to make is this information needs to be more populist in nature not necessarily something you have to dig to find.By all means castigate those who have access to information and misuse it.

But what of those who dont? ?The corn seller who lives in face me I facw you? ?The pepper seller a Mile 2, do you really think these people care if Dbanj just bought bentley? But there is abuse going on in these circles too.

We need a Mass reorientation and this should include ALL strata of society.
Yes they do advertise on radio stations and they even have this radio drama program. There are naptip ad boards around the country though the message is mostly on child trafficking. what I notice is that most Nigerians don't even read boards or signs unless its for shows and all. God help us all.

2 Likes

Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by Nobody: 10:16am On Jul 27, 2013
Thank You Honey, that's all.
NAPTIP advertises people just don't care enough or are too busy to want to know or care.
Radio, TV etc, we are watching E and following up on the Royal Baby and Kardashians werin concern us with NAPTIP adverts?
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by bellong: 10:52am On Jul 27, 2013
The summary is not hypocrisy, it is selfishness. An average Nigerian is selfish and care less about the welfare of his/her fellow.

It is even so bad in religious circles where you hear some selfish and ridiculous prayers. All for personal gains. There is total lack of love in people. Nobody cares about anybody except it has to do with bad news. People will rather come to your aid to take honor for helping you out of trouble than helping you prevent such horror and trouble. The help may not even stem out of sincere love.

Why do we have problems in the country that seems unsolvable despite endless prayers of people? The truth is we are the problems of ourselves, the government accounts for a minor percentage.

It is in the same country you will see civil servants expecting you to grease their palms before doing what he is paid to do. Same country you will find custom and law enforcement agents allowing dangerous substances, weapons and materials to pass security check after monetary power exchange hands.

Your description is what we get when people strive for what do not matter but place emphasis on ephemeral things. As individuals and collectively as a country, there is need for a value re-orientation. We need to understand and place values on life and what matters. Until then, your concern will remain the same.

6 Likes

Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by Kitay(f): 10:59am On Jul 27, 2013
As disheartening as this may seem, we need to arise o' compatriot. Today is someone's day tomorrow maybe another's, and who knows whose. Let's start doing and talk less.

Well Said @ Debrief08 txn and God Bless u.
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by sholay2011(m): 11:15am On Jul 27, 2013
bellong: The summary is not hypocrisy, it is selfishness. An average Nigerian is selfish and care less about the welfare of his/her fellow.

It is even so bad in religious circles where you hear some selfish and ridiculous prayers. All for personal gains. There is total lack of love in people. Nobody cares about anybody except it has to do with bad news. People will rather come to your aid to take honor for helping you out of trouble than helping you prevent such horror and trouble. The help may not even stem out of sincere love.

Why do we have problems in the country that seems unsolvable despite endless prayers of people? The truth is we are the problems of ourselves, the government accounts for a minor percentage.

It is in the same country you will see civil servants expecting you to grease their palms before doing what he is paid to do. Same country you will find custom and law enforcement agents allowing dangerous substances, weapons and materials to pass security check after monetary power exchange hands.

Your description is what we get when people strive for what do not matter but place emphasis on ephemeral things. As individuals and collectively as a country, there is need for a value re-orientation. We need to understand and place values on life and what matters. Until then, your concern will remain the same.
This post is too on point! cool Selfishness is the root of the problem...it is the disease...hypocrisy is just one of the symptoms. Bookmarking your post right away.

2 Likes

Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by biolabee(m): 11:26am On Jul 27, 2013
Naija ple dont watch local tv as much like before..
Africa magic, super sport and mnet

Let them do an advert on africamagic

You will see the impact
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by sholay2011(m): 11:37am On Jul 27, 2013
biolabee: Naija ple dont watch local tv as much like before..
Africa magic, super sport and mnet

Let them do an advert on africamagic

You will see the impact

Lol....you are right though.
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by biolabee(m): 12:03pm On Jul 27, 2013
Sadly true... even me I don't know when I watched ait or channel last

Aside tv, films just full ground

Spartacus, game of thrones, nikita etc
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jul 27, 2013
sorry debrief - what story are you referring to?

I have been crazy busy and not had the chance to keep up to date with NL,
but is it not someone here that was asking for good church and housegirl - when questioned no answer provided - i just found it shocking that in one breath a grown adult was asking for a church and child labour.

1 Like

Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by Nobody: 12:26pm On Jul 27, 2013
cotton101: sorry debrief - what story are you referring to?

I have been crazy busy and not had the chance to keep up to date with NL,
but is it not someone here that was asking for good church and housegirl - when questioned no answer provided - i just found it shocking that in one breath a grown adult was asking for a church and child labour.
A woman beats a relative's daughter she has been using as a slave to death.
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by damiso(f): 12:28pm On Jul 27, 2013
Nigerians aside, the world is becoming increasingly shallow and fickle.

There is a reason why the Kardashians (not knocking them) are a world renowned brand undecided

1 Like

Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 27, 2013
U know,I always blame our religious leaders.the church and mosque r our social gathering.both d rich, educated and poor troop in there.I don't know about others but I hv never heard religious leaders preach on such topics.
I think it will hv more impact than watching tv or billboard.
I don't hv to look for statistical figure but I think we r d most self centered pple on earth.
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by biolabee(m): 1:00pm On Jul 27, 2013
yellowpawpaw: U know,I always blame our religious leaders.the church and mosque r our social gathering.both d rich, educated and poor troop in there.I don't know about others but I hv never heard religious leaders preach on such topics.
I think it will hv more impact than watching tv or billboard.
I don't hv to look for statistical figure but I think we r d most self centered pple on earth.

Shuoooooooooo
U funny die

How dem go make money for tithes, church/mosque project
How money go reach for pj - private jet

Such teachings are anathema
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by ladygogo: 6:27pm On Jul 27, 2013
We Nigerians just have this NIMBY(Not in my backyard) syndrome. we are just a very selfish people. The subsidy protest was a perfect example of our selfishness. Some people had already started complaining about how much money they were losing just on the third day.

The average Nigerian guy/girl is concerned about their next runs, maga, having the next it bag,instagram tins,popping champagne, being on a reality show,rapping/singing, going on an exotic vacay etc. I mean the average Nigerian doesnt even read to begin with not to talk of knowing their country's constitution.

I very much agree that it begins with the individual. Be your brother's keeper.

Thanks Debrief. you are amazing.
Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by EfemenaXY: 6:44pm On Jul 27, 2013
I think the best way to create awareness is for to target advertising media to those at the grassroot levels. This is where pastors and other religious heads, worth their salt should make concentrated efforts during every service to drum this message to their congregation.

They should not take anything for granted and start by explaining to people what child abuse really is and how it's conveniently veiled as taking a house girl / boy from the village with the promise to train them up in the town / city.

They should also encourage and implore people to be extra vigilant and not ignore any form of abuse but should report or call the relevant numbers, plus a guarantee that this would be handled anonymously if they so desire.

The government also needs to take active participation in this via education. For example, teachers in schools should look out for the tell tale signs of child abuse on any child such as withdrawl symptoms of a previously outspoken and outgoing child, scars, bruises or wounds inflicted on them, coming in to school shabbily dressed, hungry and upset, etc. They should also encourage the children themselves to speak up. Teachers in schools over here look out for signs like these and trust me, they won't blink an eyelid before getting social services involved.

Same thing for doctors, nurses, chemists and any other health care personnel. They should be given authority to report any suspected case of child abuse (e.g fractured bones and so on) to the relevant bodies. These relevant bodies should also have enough funding to carry out their duties to save these young lives in danger.

It is complicated but at the end of the day, the society as a whole needs to take responsibility, and not just neighbours reporting to the police with the risk of they themselves getting arrested.

2 Likes

Re: Stinking Hypocrisy by uche13: 9:16pm On Jul 27, 2013
Its really so sad and we all need to change our orientation. I was sadly awakened to this truth about a month ago.

A neighbour's 10 year old son ran out of the house by 9am because the mum wanted to beat him. I later learnt that she beats him just too much and 2 days before, she beat him to the extent that he was bleeding. As he was running, she said "if you step out of that gate, don't ever come back". This child sadly believed.

In summary, I was out till past midnight because I had to join the search for those looking for him. With the mum crying hysterically and calling death to take her away. It was terrible. This boy was found the next day. Limping and with nothing in his stomach for 24 hours.

This was a sunday morning. I took him to my house, made breakfast and hot tea and later asked him questions. He said he trekked from morning till night just moving around. At night he found himself in mushin, saw the branch of his church, entererd and slept. I asked him if anybody interrogated him in the church and he said they only asked him where he is coming from and allowed him to sleep.

I was livid! How can? How couldn't an elder person there make enquires before letting a 10 year old sleep in church. Even if it is to call the pastor of the boy's branch who was aware of the situation cos they had to go search his church.

I couldn't go to church that day but told myself that taking care of him is practical christianity. We should practicalize what we are taught in the bible and show concern for others not included in our fold

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is It Wrong To Ask My Gf Pointblank To Loose Weight? / If You Love Me,you Must Quarrel With Me / Pregnant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.