Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,379 members, 7,819,382 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:15 PM

Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) (1446 Views)

Nigerians: Cameroon Troops Burned Our Village, Forced Us Out- Associated Press / Buruji Kashamu Responds To Ap's Report On His Alleged Indictment In The US / “No Work No Pay” – Fgn To Civil Servants (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by Maxymilliano(m): 8:17pm On Jul 28, 2013
WASHINGTON (AP) Four out of five U.S. adults struggle with joblessness, near-poverty or reliance on welfare for at least parts of their lives, a sign of deteriorating economic security and an elusive American dream.

Survey data exclusive to The Associated Press points to an increasingly globalized U.S. economy, the widening gap between rich and poor, and the loss of good-paying manufacturing jobs as reasons for the trend.

The findings come as President Obama tries to renew his administration's emphasis on the economy, saying in recent speeches that his highest priority is to "rebuild ladders of opportunity" and reverse income inequality.

As nonwhites approach a numerical majority in the U.S., one question is how public programs to lift the disadvantaged should be best focused -- on the affirmative action that historically has tried to eliminate the racial barriers seen as the major impediment to economic equality, or simply on improving socioeconomic status for all, regardless of race.

Hardship is particularly growing among whites, based on several measures.

Pessimism among that racial group about their families' economic futures has climbed to the highest point since at least 1987. In the most recent AP-GfK poll, 63 percent of whites called the economy "poor."

"I think it's going to get worse," said Irene Salyers, 52, of Buchanan County, Va., a declining coal region in Appalachia.

Married and divorced three times, Salyers now helps run a fruit and vegetable stand with her boyfriend but it doesn't generate much income. They live mostly off government disability checks.

"If you do try to go apply for a job, they're not hiring people, and they're not paying that much to even go to work," she said. Children, she said, have "nothing better to do than to get on drugs."

While racial and ethnic minorities are more likely to live in poverty, race disparities in the poverty rate have narrowed substantially since the 1970s, census data show. Economic insecurity among whites also is more pervasive than is shown in the government's poverty data, engulfing more than 76 percent of white adults by the time they turn 60, according to a new economic gauge being published next year by the Oxford University Press.

The gauge defines "economic insecurity" as a year or more of periodic joblessness, reliance on government aid such as food stamps or income below 150 percent of the poverty line. Measured across all races, the risk of economic insecurity rises to 79 percent.

Marriage rates are in decline across all races, and the number of white mother-headed households living in poverty has risen to the level of black ones.

"It's time that America comes to understand that many of the nation's biggest disparities, from education and life expectancy to poverty, are increasingly due to economic class position," said William Julius Wilson, a Harvard professor who specializes in race and poverty. He noted that despite continuing economic difficulties, minorities have more optimism about the future after Obama's election, while struggling whites do not.

"There is the real possibility that white alienation will increase if steps are not taken to highlight and address inequality on a broad front," Wilson said.

Nationwide, the count of America's poor remains stuck at a record number: 46.2 million, or 15 percent of the population, due in part to lingering high unemployment following the recession. While poverty rates for blacks and Hispanics are nearly three times higher, by absolute numbers the predominant face of the poor is white.

More than 19 million whites fall below the poverty line of $23,021 for a family of four, accounting for more than 41 percent of the nation's destitute, nearly double the number of poor blacks.

Sometimes termed "the invisible poor" by demographers, lower-income whites generally are dispersed in suburbs as well as small rural towns, where more than 60 percent of the poor are white.

Concentrated in Appalachia in the East, they are numerous in the industrial Midwest and spread across America's heartland, from Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma up through the Great Plains.

Buchanan County in southwest Virginia is among the nation's most destitute based on median income, with poverty hovering at 24 percent. The county is mostly white, as are 99 percent of its poor.

More than 90 percent of Buchanan County's inhabitants are working-class whites who lack a college degree. Higher education long has been seen there as nonessential to land a job because well-paying mining and related jobs were once in plentiful supply. These days many residents get by on odd jobs and government checks.

Salyers' daughter, Renee Adams, 28, who grew up in the region, has two children. A jobless single mother, she relies on her live-in boyfriend's disability checks to get by.

This photo taken Friday July 12, 2013, shows the Salyers' produce stand in Council, Va.

Salyers says it was tough raising her own children as it is for her daughter now, and doesn't even try to speculate what awaits her grandchildren, ages 4 and 5.

Smoking a cigarette in front of the produce stand, Adams later expresses a wish that employers will look past her conviction a few years ago for distributing prescription painkillers, so she can get a job and have money to "buy the kids everything they need."

"It's pretty hard," she said. "Once the bills are paid, we might have $10 to our name."

Census figures provide an official measure of poverty, but they're only a temporary snapshot that doesn't capture the makeup of those who cycle in and out of poverty at different points in their lives. They may be suburbanites, for example, or the working poor or the laid off.

In 2011 that snapshot showed 12.6 percent of adults in their prime working-age years of 25-60 lived in poverty. But measured in terms of a person's lifetime risk, a much higher number -- 4 in 10 adults -- falls into poverty for at least a year of their lives.

The risks of poverty also have been increasing in recent decades, particularly among people ages 35-55, coinciding with widening income inequality. For instance, people ages 35-45 had a 17 percent risk of encountering poverty during the 1969-1989 time period; that risk increased to 23 percent during the 1989-2009 period. For those ages 45-55, the risk of poverty jumped from 11.8 percent to 17.7 percent.

Higher recent rates of unemployment mean the lifetime risk of experiencing economic insecurity now runs even higher: 79 percent, or 4 in 5 adults, by the time they turn 60.

Links for further reading ...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/07/28/four-in-five-in-us-face-near-poverty-no-work/

http://www.sfgate.com/news/politics/article/Exclusive-4-in-5-in-US-face-near-poverty-no-work-4691668.php

http://www.timesonline.com/news/national/exclusive-in-in-us-face-near-poverty-no-work/article_b9f0735f-d90c-5cd3-97ec-c01e62ad56a2.html%3Fmode%3Dimage%26photo%3D1
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by solomon111(m): 9:15pm On Jul 28, 2013

3 Likes

Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by Maxymilliano(m): 12:19pm On Jul 29, 2013
solomon111: These are the same people that still give aid to china,russia,brazil,india,and many emerging world powers just to prop up the huge american ego.
Lmao!!.
Americans and their leaders are hiliarious.

Poverty and unemployment is a global phenomenon that's knows no border.

It is a twin macro-economic malady developed economies are yet to grapple with, yet, some persons will want us to believe it's a Nigerian thing and President Jonathan should be blamed for not helping the cause.
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by AskProf: 12:51pm On Jul 29, 2013
Maxymilliano:

It is a twin macro-economic malady developed economies are yet to grapple with, yet, some persons will want us to believe it's a Nigerian thing and President Jonathan should be blamed for not helping the cause.

Really?
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by adino(m): 1:17pm On Jul 29, 2013
solomon111: These are the same people that still give aid to china,russia,brazil,india,and many emerging world powers just to prop up the huge american ego.
Lmao!!.
Clueless American leaders.

1 Like

Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by adino(m): 1:21pm On Jul 29, 2013
No wonder obama was making noise in S.A that Usa will offer African countries education, knowing that Nigerians are the world leaders in education tourism. So they need our school fees cash

3 Likes

Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by Nobody: 1:47pm On Jul 29, 2013
The world is heading towards the great depression with rise in unemployment and poverty(the effects of capitalism) *spits*

1 Like

Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by boneruns(m): 1:48pm On Jul 29, 2013
This is pathetic! US of all countries?!

No wonder DV lottery had to be scrapped for Nigerians.

Still, this won't stop people from wanting to get the visa.

Abeg make I dey enjoy my work here for naija.

1 Like

Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by dasparrow: 1:55pm On Jul 29, 2013
Lmao!!.

Do you mind them? I lived in America for over 13 years and I was shocked to see this once great nation turning gradually turning into a third world nation right before my eyes. I saw people with degrees and many years of work experience not being able to find a job. Those who had jobs were making such little money that they had to rely a lot on credit cards to live while the bills kept mounting.

I saw more and more Americans - atleast in my city - heading to the 99 cents stores to buy many of their groceries and household needs because they could no longer afford the groceries and household items in regular stores or they are trying to save money. Many Americans started losing their homes since the recession began and now during the post-recession because they can no longer keep up with their mortgage payments due to job lose/unemployment.

An increasing number of Americans started becoming more aggressive whilst taking out their frustrations on anyone who is a foreigner at any slightest chance they get. All the red flags were and are still there that America as a country has lost her glory. She has fallen from grace back to grass. So, no one reminded me to rush back to Nigeria quickly and get NYSC out of the way because I see many of these oyibo countries sinking right before my very own eyes.

2 Likes

Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by dasparrow: 2:02pm On Jul 29, 2013
adino: No wonder obama was making noise in S.A that Usa will offer African countries education, knowing that Nigerians are the world leaders in education tourism. So they need our school fees cash

@bolded

Yes they do because they charge foreign students an arm and a leg and getting a job nowadays in the USA is extremely difficult.

1 Like

Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by Nobody: 3:07pm On Jul 29, 2013
The "big, bad, and bold" image presented by the U.S. was always an illusion.
Only people who believe what they see on T.V. are just now realizing this.
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jul 29, 2013
tensazangetsu: The world is heading towards the great depression with rise in unemployment and poverty(the effects of capitalism) *spits*

All because of western "powers" and the countries that were so eager to coon for them.

adino: No wonder obama was making noise in S.A that Usa will offer African countries education, knowing that Nigerians are the world leaders in education tourism. So they need our school fees cash

It's not just Africans who are being used. Foreigners on a whole are.
You have to shell out lots of money just to APPLY to live in the United States, and you may not even be granted a visa!! Don't even think you'd get a refund grin.

I won't even start talking about the fees you'd pay ONCE you become a citizen.
America is the country where students will be in debt due to student loans before they even start their lives.

The American dream is just an illusion. This is not a country..its a business.

2 Likes

Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by talktimi(m): 3:57pm On Jul 29, 2013
The solution is very simple. Weaken the labor unions, reduce wages then manufacturing will boom once again in America. As it stands now, China is f§cking them over together with cheap labor in other Asian countries...
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by Nobody: 4:06pm On Jul 29, 2013
Lmao!!.
Yes,time to compare Nigeria and The United States, right? Lmao my friend, go sit somewhere. Nigeria gives aid too but is stuck in the 16th century where absolutely NOTHING works and ure online showing us ur ignorance. Abeg move jo...
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 29, 2013
dasparrow:

Do you mind them? I lived in America for over 13 years and I was shocked to see this once great nation turning gradually turning into a third world nation right before my eyes. I saw people with degrees and many years of work experience not being able to find a job. Those who had jobs were making such little money that they had to rely a lot on credit cards to live while the bills kept mounting.

I saw more and more Americans - atleast in my city - heading to the 99 cents stores to buy many of their groceries and household needs because they could no longer afford the groceries and household items in regular stores or they are trying to save money. Many Americans started losing their homes since the recession began and now during the post-recession because they can no longer keep up with their mortgage payments due to job lose/unemployment.

An increasing number of Americans started becoming more aggressive whilst taking out their frustrations on anyone who is a foreigner at any slightest chance they get. All the red flags were and are still there that America as a country has lost her glory. She has fallen from grace back to grass. So, no one reminded me to rush back to Nigeria quickly and get NYSC out of the way because I see many of these oyibo countries sinking right before my very own eyes.
Good for u, and for us, that u did the best thing and moved back to Africa. Now, do us all a favor and stay put...also, try to implement all the good and first world behavior that u learnt over here. Ungrateful thing.
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by solomon111(m): 4:19pm On Jul 29, 2013
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by solomon111(m): 4:23pm On Jul 29, 2013
kingoflag: Good for u, and for us, that u did the best thing and moved back to Africa. Now, do us all a favor and stay put...also, try to implement all the good and first world behavior that u learnt over here. Ungrateful thing.
oh!
You are even in america,"the land of free and easy money".
Lol.
Don't worry,when the chinese finish with america,you will be singing a different song.
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by Rossikk(m): 5:44pm On Jul 29, 2013
kingoflag: Yes,time to compare Nigeria and The United States, right? Lmao my friend, go sit somewhere. Nigeria gives aid to but is stuck in the 16th century where absolutely NOTHING works and ure online showing us ur ignorance. Abeg move jo...
my goodness ur stupi.d. If nothing works in nigeria we'd all be dead. And we are 1000 times more advanced than any 16th century nation. So grow a brain.
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by 2mch(m): 5:48pm On Jul 29, 2013
Still Nigerian's are trekking across waters, swimming across oceans and giving birth in America. In 20yrs half of the population in Nigeria will be Americans. But still we are pointing fingers. We cant even afford 2hours in electricity in the 21st century. At least these jobless people still eat, have a house, constant electricity, potable water. They are equivalent or even better than middle class in Naija.
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jul 29, 2013
single mothers have destroyed america and europe and they wanna destroy nigeria too Bleep feminism
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by 4Play(m): 7:40pm On Jul 29, 2013
Poverty is relative. People significantly below the median income of a given society are described as poor. If the average person in a society is a billionaire, then the poverty demographic could include millionaires.
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by mgbeketoto: 8:56pm On Jul 29, 2013
Is it this same USA that I am living in? grin
Oh Glory!

At least we have not started FLEECING £3000 sureties from visa applicants!
Mu Che Che Che Che Che

These NGWO-GWO WAZOBIA PEPPER-SOUP SELLERS nor dey taya to e badu belle and e jolosi my SUPA SUPA PAWA USA!!!! grin
Back to my SWEEEET TRAVELLING NURSING JOB JARE!!!!! cool
Totally DEBT FREEEEE!!!!! cool

ODU nor dey reign again! grin
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by Nobody: 2:33am On Jul 30, 2013
tensazangetsu: single mothers have destroyed america and europe and they wanna destroy nigeria too Bleep feminism

[size=98pt]?[/size]
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by solomon111(m): 4:28am On Jul 30, 2013
2mch: Still Nigerian's are trekking across waters, swimming across oceans and giving birth in America. In 20yrs half of the population in Nigeria will be Americans. But still we are pointing fingers. We cant even afford 2hours in electricity in the 21st century. At least these jobless people still eat, have a house, constant electricity, potable water. They are equivalent or even better than middle class in Naija.
we can't afford two hours of electricity?
Please shut up and stop displaying your ignorance.
*who the hell are these ignorant people posing as Nigerians?*
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by Nobody: 4:34am On Jul 30, 2013
solomon111: Are you dense?
Where did you see me comparing america to Nigeria?
Atleast Nigeria is not stupidd enough to give aid to poorer african countries when she has her own financial issues.
Btw,if you think "Nothing" works in Nigeria,then sorry i can't help you.
Maybe you should try moving to america.
I hear they pick money on trees there.
Lol.

Lmao clown monkey; doofus of the first order!

If your statement wasnt comparing Nigeria to the U.S, what was it then?

Nigeria doesnt give aid to poorer African countries? Lmao You need to pick up a book and get your head outta GEJ's aszz.

Move to America?! Lmaooo Dude, abeg dont kill me and keep enjoy sucking up Generator fumes and hoping cops dont slap the bejezus out your ignorant self when you refuse to part with a N20 bribe for looking damn ugly.
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by Nobody: 4:37am On Jul 30, 2013
solomon111: oh!
You are even in america,"the land of free and easy money".
Lol.
Don't worry,when the chinese finish with america,you will be singing a different song.

Dude, STFU, u sound mad ignorant. Put ur pic up and I bet your neck is longer than that of a Giraffe and a Ostrich put together, u illiterate oaf. I dont even know why we bother fighting for you ignorant donkeys since it seems yall love suffering and have been accustomed to it.
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by Nobody: 4:40am On Jul 30, 2013
Rossikk: my goodness ur stupi.d. If nothing works in nigeria we'd all be dead. And we are 1000 times more advanced than any 16th century nation. So grow a brain.

Sure you are. When the average Nigerian feeds on $3/day come talk to me.

Suffering and smiling dummies.
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by Brimmie(m): 6:20am On Jul 30, 2013
Dat One No Mean Sey Make I Rott For Ds Confused-Nation!!

If Shance Dey, Na To Run Comot o!
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by solomon111(m): 6:20am On Jul 30, 2013
kingoflag:

Dude, STFU, u sound mad ignorant. Put ur pic up and I bet your neck is longer than that of a Giraffe and a Ostrich put together, u illiterate oaf. I dont even know why we bother fighting for you ignorant donkeys since it seems yall love suffering and have been accustomed to it.
Fighting for who?
Are you alright?
Btw,who told you we've not lived in america?
Smh.
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by solomon111(m): 6:29am On Jul 30, 2013
kingoflag:

Lmao clown monkey; doofus of the first order!

If your statement wasnt comparing Nigeria to the U.S, what was it then?

Nigeria doesnt give aid to poorer African countries? Lmao You need to pick up a book and get your head outta GEJ's aszz.

Move to America?! Lmaooo Dude, abeg dont kill me and keep enjoy sucking up Generator fumes and hoping cops dont slap the bejezus out your ignorant self when you refuse to part with a N20 bribe for looking damn ugly.
you must be a stark moronn.
How does an almost failed america giving aid to strongly emerging countries like china,russia,brazil relate to Nigeria?
Look at this one talking about generator fumes and police brutality?
Lol.
America,china and the likes would kill to have a less-polluted athmosphere like Nigeria.
Btw,is it the same american police that shoot people for being black you are talking about?
Abeg free me before i wound myself with laugh.
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by GAR3TH(m): 6:41am On Jul 30, 2013
People need to read these articles with a grain of salt. what is considered the poverty line is different between every country. In the USA the income poverty line for an individual is $11,490 yearly income and for a family of 5 its $27,570 a year. That is still waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy higher than the average Nigerian income, which is around just $2000/yr. what is considered poor by american standards may be considered middle-class by Nigerian standards. So dont be quick to judge.

http://www.familiesusa.org/resources/tools-for-advocates/guides/federal-poverty-guidelines.html
Re: Exclusive: 4 In 5 In US Face Near-poverty, No Work - Associated Press (AP) by Standing5(m): 7:48am On Jul 30, 2013
Maxymilliano:

Why not relate the rosy figures plus conflicting indexes the Gej Admin has been killing us with lately to the carefully collated ones US is giving its citizens.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Strongmen Of APC”. Are Most WANTED Men At The Police Station{dele Sobowale} / The Canonisation Of Obasanjo By Simon Kolawole---- APC GOOFED / 2015: NOTHING Can Stop Jonathan – Fayose

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.