Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,481 members, 7,830,426 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Remember The Day Of Rest - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Remember The Day Of Rest (504 Views)

Sunday, Mankind's Day Of Rest, The Sabbath Day / Pastor Kumuyi's Son Apologise, controversy finally laid to rest / What Is The Appointed Day Of Rest (sabbath)? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Remember The Day Of Rest by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:18pm On Jul 28, 2013
Remember the Day of Rest
July 28, 2013

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates" (Exodus 20:8-10).

The Hebrew word for "remember" actually means to "mark" or "set aside." The Israelites didn't need to be told to "remember" the sabbath, because all nations had been keeping time in weeks ever since creation (Genesis 2:13). (Note the references to the sabbath in the sending of God's manna, prior to the giving of this commandment |Exodus 16:23-29|.) But they did need to be reminded to mark it as a holy or rest day, as God had done in that first week.

The Hebrew word for "sabbath" does not mean "Saturday" any more than it means "Sunday." It means, simply, "rest" or "intermission." The institution of the sabbath (that is, one day out of every seven days to be "set aside" as a day of rest, worship, and remembrance of the Creator) was "made for man" and his good (Mark 2:27). It was even of benefit to the animals used by man (note the mention of "cattle" in the commandment). It had been a pattern observed since the completion of God's six days of creation and making all things at the very beginning of world history (note Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:11).

It is still appropriate today, as well. "There remaineth therefore a rest |that is, 'a sabbath-keeping'| to the people of God" (Hebrews 4:9). All men have a deep need to remember their Creator and His completed work of creation at least once each week, as well as His completed work of salvation—especially in these days when both of these finished works are so widely denied or ignored. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: Remember The Day Of Rest by Goshen360(m): 10:41pm On Jul 28, 2013
OLAADEGBU: Remember the Day of Rest
July 28, 2013

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates" (Exodus 20:8-10).

The Hebrew word for "remember" actually means to "mark" or "set aside." The Israelites didn't need to be told to "remember" the sabbath, because all nations had been keeping time in weeks ever since creation (Genesis 2:13). (Note the references to the sabbath in the sending of God's manna, prior to the giving of this commandment |Exodus 16:23-29|.) But they did need to be reminded to mark it as a holy or rest day, as God had done in that first week.

The Hebrew word for "sabbath" does not mean "Saturday" any more than it means "Sunday." It means, simply, "rest" or "intermission." The institution of the sabbath (that is, one day out of every seven days to be "set aside" as a day of rest, worship, and remembrance of the Creator) was "made for man" and his good (Mark 2:27). It was even of benefit to the animals used by man (note the mention of "cattle" in the commandment). It had been a pattern observed since the completion of God's six days of creation and making all things at the very beginning of world history (note Genesis 2:1-3; Exodus 20:11).

I hope your other brothers MostHigh and JesusisLord85 will agree with you on this one.

OLAADEGBU:

It is still appropriate today, as well. "There remaineth therefore a rest |that is, 'a sabbath-keeping'| to the people of God" (Hebrews 4:9). All men have a deep need to remember their Creator and His completed work of creation at least once each week, [size=15pt]as well as His completed work of salvation—especially in these days when both of these finished works are so widely denied or ignored.[/size] HMM

For more . . . .

The same finished works of Christ that we preach and you pick offense at the message of the Cross? You now see why I once said, you worship your PhD pastor. Here you teach the finished works of Christ by which we are all made righteous with God just because your PhD most holy spiritual father said it. It is wise for you to hold on to this finished work all the way than one side with Moses and the other side with Christ.
Re: Remember The Day Of Rest by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:54pm On Jul 28, 2013
Goshen360:

I hope your other brothers MostHigh and JesusisLord85 will agree with you on this one.

The same finished works of Christ that we preach and you pick offense at the message of the Cross? You now see why I once said, you worship your PhD pastor. Here you teach the finished works of Christ by which we are all made righteous with God just because your PhD most holy spiritual father said it. It is wise for you to hold on to this finished work all the way than one side with Moses and the other side with Christ.

You may take your Strawman's argument elsewhere. cool
Re: Remember The Day Of Rest by Goshen360(m): 11:02pm On Jul 28, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

You may take your Strawman's argument elsewhere. cool

E be like say I don dey vex you? Abeg no vex. Just saying. You don't have to criticize another teacher of God's word because it doesn't come from your most holy PhD. That's all I'm saying. Enjoy!
Re: Remember The Day Of Rest by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:16pm On Jul 28, 2013
Goshen360:

E be like say I don dey vex you? Abeg no vex. Just saying. You don't have to criticize another teacher of God's word because it doesn't come from your most holy PhD. That's all I'm saying. Enjoy!

The person who calls himself a Christian teacher without preaching repentance as a prerequisite to salvation is a stranger to true conversion himself.
Re: Remember The Day Of Rest by Goshen360(m): 11:36pm On Jul 28, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

The person who calls himself a Christian teacher without preaching repentance as a prerequisite to salvation is a stranger to true conversion himself.

Ola, why are you like this? What is the purpose of preaching to sinners without preaching repentance to them in the course of evangelism? Why are you like this? Is this hatred or what? I just said I preach and teach repentance to people first, then let the Holy Spirit convict them. Isn't that scriptural enough? Please, if you have nothing to say, just go to bed. I don't have time for all these your games please. Good night!
Re: Remember The Day Of Rest by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:41pm On Jul 28, 2013
Goshen360:

Ola, why are you like this? What is the purpose of preaching to sinners without preaching repentance to them in the course of evangelism? Why are you like this? Is this hatred or what? I just said I preach and teach repentance to people first, then let the Holy Spirit convict them. Isn't that scriptural enough? Please, if you have nothing to say, just go to bed. I don't have time for all these your games please. Good night!

Don't be a makebate. If you say that you preach repentance show us in the myriads of posts you have made on this forum where you have preached and taught repentance from sin and faith toward God.

1 Like

Re: Remember The Day Of Rest by Goshen360(m): 11:52pm On Jul 28, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

Don't be a makebate. If you say that you preach repentance show us in the myriads of posts you have made on this forum where you have preached and taught repentance from sin and faith toward God.

I have done my part! Go and search my posts and past threads. I'm NOT ACCOUNTABLE to you OLA!
Re: Remember The Day Of Rest by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:37am On Jul 29, 2013
Goshen360:

I have done my part! Go and search my posts and past threads. I'm NOT ACCOUNTABLE to you OLA!

If you are not accountable then you are not a man of intergrity. tongue
Re: Remember The Day Of Rest by Goshen360(m): 12:44am On Jul 29, 2013
OLAADEGBU:

If you are not accountable then you are not a man of intergrity. tongue

OLA, I, Goshen is NOT accountable TO YOU not that I'm NOT accountable to the Lord. Stop twisting my words!
Re: Remember The Day Of Rest by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:27am On Jul 29, 2013
Goshen360:

OLA, I, Goshen is NOT accountable TO YOU not that I'm NOT accountable to the Lord. Stop twisting my words!

We know that you do not regard the Laws of God which explains your position as an antinomian, but are you accountable to any man at all? undecided

(1) (Reply)

The First Step Towards Holiness Is To Dress Modestly.. / Christian Fellowship International (C.F.i) / Police Nab Gay Pastor In Aba

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.