Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,530 members, 7,826,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 02:28 AM

Has Yar'adua Had Good Year? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has Yar'adua Had Good Year? (1033 Views)

The Late Former President, Alh. Umaru Musa Yar'adua Had Many Things In '5' / Yar'adua Had Inferiority Complex And Low Self Esteem... El Rufai / What If Yar'adua Had Not Passed On? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Yar'adua Had Good Year? by smile4kenn(m): 9:27pm On May 28, 2008
May 29 marks Nigerian President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua's one year in office after winning what international and local observers condemned as an flawed election.

Last year Yar'Adua announced an ambitious seven point plan, which vowed to tackle Nigeria's power and energy crisis, create badly-needed jobs, plough money into a lacklustre agricultural sector, reform land policy, reduce crime and insecurity, improve a failing education sector and sort out the mess that is the country's transport system.

Has President Yar'Adua managed to stabilise the country's energy crisis , security and reform the electoral system ?

Has he lived up to the expectations of Nigerians? What impact, if any, has he had on Africa?
Re: Has Yar'adua Had Good Year? by smile4kenn(m): 9:30pm On May 28, 2008
Added: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, 17:45 GMT 18:45 UK

Regretably, Nigerians look up to their government as Super-Nanny. This attitude of nigerians has not only improvished them mentally and psychologically, but it has greatly increaesd the manipulative power of their government. Untill this old way of thinking is changed, Nigerians cannot take back the power which rightfully belongs to them; the power of holding to account those in positions of power for their failures.

Uche Ememanka, Nigeria

Added: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, 17:40 GMT 18:40 UK

Progress is way too slow, we can't afford to wait any longer, people are suffering due to a complete lack of comitment from those in power, we want to see progress in the power sector, roads, health, Education, security,water supply and all other human basic needs, sure it is good to plan properly but what use is a good plan that is not properly executed. Baba I beg hurry o! water wan pass gari o!

DeNON, Zürich

Added: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, 17:39 GMT 18:39 UK

Mr president is another nightmare to our country, so much talks about the rule of law, but as we can all see there is no law in Nigeria. Instead we have unemployment at the highest level, no power supply, bad roads, educational mess, collapsed building on daily basis, preventable death of children, corruption, hunger, unequiped hospitals, above all bad leadership. I wonder how he will meet his 7 points agenda 2020, when there is no security in place. Look at the police, what can you see. Ha, ha

obi shedrack, guangzhou, China

Added: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, 17:37 GMT 18:37 UK

We are still in square one. Nothing has changed. The pace he is moving is slower than that of a snail. There is nothing to write home about the power sector. Our economy has become 'Generator' economy. The vast majority of Nigerians are lacking the basic necessities of life such as: Water, good roads, good health care system and employment. Life is survival of the fittest. How long are we going to wait for his promises to come to pass? We are living at the mercy of God.

Omorodion Osula, Boston, USA

Added: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, 17:36 GMT 18:36 UK

Fellow Nigerians, wellcome to the club because you've seen one leader, and you've seen them all.I'm not being persimistic, but you watch out for those sugar coated speeches promising to turn mother Africa into Paradise and barely two hours in office, someone doesn't even remember which constituence voted for them best. How else would you vote for these self styled leaders if they don't promise you mountains? Yes, a handful of them do manage to live up to their words,but where in Africa? My foot!

Shuttie F.N.Libuta, Kitwe/ Zambia/ Central Africa

Added: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, 17:35 GMT 18:35 UK

The issues and challenges we face in Nigeria are deep rooted and only a well orchestrated and thought through sustainable plan over a period of time would see Nigeria out of the duldrums. Now, Yaradua claims to be working on such a plan and that we will begin to see a raft of measures in the coming years - that is ok if there is a clear communication plan alongside, clearly plotting where we are on the road map - but we need to be engaged. I couldn't tell you if we are going forwards or backward

JJ, Abeokuta

Added: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, 17:08 GMT 18:08 UK

Most Nigerians are used to millitary quick solutions that are usually shortlive. President Yar'Adua is on a right-footing by tackling most of the country's harden problems from the roots such as energy shortage, insecurity, unemployment, Niger Delter uprising etc. One year is therefore, very short a time to be judged or evaluated. What is of primodial importance now is to observe and surport him when neceesary than to derail him at this crucial moment.

Ndamnsa Nformi, Yaounde

Added: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, 17:08 GMT 18:08 UK

Nigeria has had a difficult history and to expect someone to end all economic and social problems within 1 year is wishful thinking. I visited Nigeria once in 1987, the problems being mentioned were still there including electricity. Even hotels had independent power generaters. The mail I sent home to Zambia has not reached up till now! But I love the Nigerian people I meet. Lets wish Yar'Adua and the Nigerian leadership wisdom to lead Gods people to prosperity.

John Volk, Lusaka

Added: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, 17:01 GMT 18:01 UK

Let's see. The energy sector has seen no improvements. The EFCC and other anti-corruption institutions are under assault. The attorney general of the nation is working assiduously to protect the interests of the very perpetrators of the nations decadent state. The President of course will not get rid of the attorney general. And why should he when he himself occasionally and unashamedly seeks and revels in the company of these charlatans. It's been a very successful first year indeed.

Festus, Birmingham, Al

Added: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, 16:48 GMT 17:48 UK

Good year? Not in my view. The administration lacks passion, vigour, and dynamism you would expect from a modern day regime, especially in Nigeria where expectations are high. Too sluggish, too soft and too cold!

POPOOLA WASIU O., Newcastle upon Tyne

Added: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, 16:48 GMT 17:48 UK

We Nigerians are always wanting things to be done fast and quick,Look at the last government headed by,what's his name again? where did his fastness lead us to?the truth is that Nigeria is currently in a rot brought about by all of us who always want it quick.If you think mr president is slow,leave Nigeria and leave the president alone.Rome as it is today was not built in a day.Fast Money fast
contract is the mindset of most Nigerians, Sadly!

Elijah, Igwe

Added: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, 16:42 GMT 17:42 UK

The problem is not about Yar'adua but about some elements in PDP. They are not ready to change the system they did'nt blieve in godd governance, rule of law or anyything would make Nigeria better country. With these kind of people nothin can change in 20 years talkless one year.
What Nigeria need now is God intervention.

Salihu Makera, Abuja

Added: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, 16:31 GMT 17:31 UK

With the most corrupt Attorney General in the whole world,One thinks it's an uphill task. But Nigerians need to looks inwards as as this is not only an issue to leadership but follwership as well . As the most educated leader in Nigerian history and his conduct so far, i'll give him a pass mark for now.

Olufemi, London

Added: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, 16:25 GMT 17:25 UK

In Nigeria they have Democrazy, instead of Democracy. DEMOCRAZY simply mean, Government of Obasanjo and Yar`Adua, by Obasanjo and Yar`Adua, for Abasanjo and Yar Adua strongly back by Europe and USA. Inother to keep the Nigeria oil easily floowing.
That why even though the last year election was flawed in the eyes of the whole world, there was no pressure from Europe and America to cancelled the result or disrecorgnise the government. but they are putting pressure on Robert Mugabi. WESTERNERS!!

A. Musa Kamara, Duisburg, Germany

Added: Wednesday, 28 May, 2008, 16:24 GMT 17:24 UK

He is done absolutely nothing. Power is still a major problem in nigeria after one year in office. Qoute me that he would not fix this problem even after ten years because the government lack vision and are only interested in politics of division and self centerdness

kola, manchester, Uk
Re: Has Yar'adua Had Good Year? by smile4kenn(m): 9:30pm On May 28, 2008
Some critics of Umaru Yar'Adua have given the Nigerian president a new nickname: "Baba-go-slow".
Re: Has Yar'adua Had Good Year? by AKO1(m): 9:31pm On May 28, 2008
Has President Yar'Adua managed to stabilise the country's energy crisis , security and reform the electoral system ?

1 over 4. Can he achieve this so quickly? Or is he just being Baba 'go-slow-?
Re: Has Yar'adua Had Good Year? by savanaha: 9:31pm On May 28, 2008
smile4kenn:

May 29 marks Nigerian President Umaru Musa Yar'Adua's one year in office after winning what international and local observers condemned as an flawed election.

Last year Yar'Adua announced an ambitious seven point plan, which vowed to tackle Nigeria's power and energy crisis, create badly-needed jobs, plough money into a lacklustre agricultural sector, reform land policy, reduce crime and insecurity, improve a failing education sector and sort out the mess that is the country's transport system.

Has he lived up to the expectations of Nigerians? What impact, if any, has he had on Africa?

Well he was going to do all the above but what had happened was he got a big minor unimportant major allergy reaction and had to go to Germany therefore he only has three years to commence on the 7 step program of his. Torie worwor.
Re: Has Yar'adua Had Good Year? by subice(m): 10:52pm On May 28, 2008
Yar'Adua has not done anything progressive in one year. Believe what you will from the media sensationalized power probe but the truth is that his administration actually stopped payments to power projects and spent almost nothing on the projects even into this year. The man hasn't got a plan for this country. Whether it's education, agriculture, transportation or the economy, he is so clueless that even people in his adminstration don't know what direction the government is heading. Our 'leaders' are making the same mistakes or even worse, that the past military leaders did. The result of a non-existent policy in the educational sector would be far more 'area boys' in the future, and more hardened ones at that. For one year now, there is no substantial evidence of a solution to the Niger Delta situation and we are being told that they are still talking to stakeholders. It's business as usual, all talk and no substance.
The other day I read about how a governor (or minister) was going to inaugurate vehicles for crime fighting. How do you inaugurate vehicles. These are things that ought to be provided without fanfare. The basic rights of citizens have been reduced to things that are celebrated when they are provided or done right. Yet the president is comfortable jetting off to Germany to treat an allergy and doesn't provide Nigerians with information on his health until he is in a foreign country being interviewed by a foreign journalist. Fantastic leadership! Thousands of kids die everyday from preventable conditions and the nation's health facilities are under-equipped and inadequate.
Yet some people would say that he appears to be slow and is taking his time because he wants to do a thorough job. Yeah right! Nigerians have contributed too, we accept far too much mediocrity and like to find ways around problems rather than confront them.
Re: Has Yar'adua Had Good Year? by Nobody: 11:06pm On May 28, 2008
whatever is my opinion? as compared to his predecesor who had a headon start and a woeful ending, i'd say lets give him 3yrs in the least.
Re: Has Yar'adua Had Good Year? by smile4kenn(m): 1:31pm On May 29, 2008
During his first year in tenure as President of Nigeria, I hink Mr. Musa Yar'Adua has done a good job in trying to clean the filth of corruption, bribery and graft left behind by the Obasanjo administration. It's been such a mess left behind and I am sure the President will need another term in office before he can foster developmental pledges he made during the elections period.

Israel Ambe Ayongwa, Bamenda, Cameroon

I think he is one of the few African presidents,whose record for anticorruption is good. But there is a natural phenomenon with African presidents, their begining is always good but the end dangerous for the Economy. Therefore one year is not enough to render him such praises, lets wait and see what is ahead.

Jini Kingsly Shei, Bamenda, Cameroon

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Gangsters Get A Foothold In A Violent Italian Landscape / Ekiti Woman, 31, Conceals 450g Hemp Under Fufu Meal / Efcc Chair Farida Waziri Says Corruption Is Due To Mental Disorder, Wants Test

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.