Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,074 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:30 AM

I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon (18455 Views)

Davido Ft. Akon - Dami Duro Remix / Listen And Download - Davido - Dami Duro Remix Ft. Akon / Wizkid Ft Akon-don't Dull Remix (download Now) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by dalisto(m): 3:12pm On May 26, 2006
hi guys,
i'm loving this song so so much.
i believe the song was excellent when India sang the original alone.
however i feel her remix with Akon has taken it a step higher.
on another note i respect Akon's voice, it's somehow unique and sharp in a tenor kind of way.
anyone else who likes song a lot?
i wanted to upload the song with this message, but it ain't on the pc i'm using at work.
here are the lyrics:

[b][Akon: Verse 1]
Konvict
Konvict Music uh huh

See I can kinda recall a lil ways back
Small tryin to ball always been black
And my hair I tried it all I even went flat
Had a gummy curled on top and all that crap (o oh)
Just tryin to be appreciated
Nappy headed brothers never had no ladies
Never hit the barber shop real quick
Had a mini lil twist and it drove her crazy (crazy)
Then I couldnt get no job
Cuz corporate wouldn't hire no dreadlocks
Then I thought about my dogs on the block
Kinda understand why they chose to steal and rob
Was it the hair that got me this far?
All these girls these cribs these cars?
I hate to say it but it seem so flawed
Success didnt come til I cut it all off

[India.Arie: Verse 1]
Little girl with the press and curl
Age eight I got a Jheri curl
Thirteen and I got a relaxer
I was a source of so much laughter
At fifteen when it all broke off
Eighteen and I went all natural
February two thousand and two
I went on and did
What I had to do
Because it was time to change my life
To become the women that I am inside
Ninety-seven dreadlocks all gone
I looked in the mirror
For the first time and saw that HEY,

[Chorus]
I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am not your expectations no no
I am not my hair
I am not this skin
I am a soul that lives within

[India.Arie: Verse 2]
Good hair means curls and waves
Bad hair means you look like a slave
At the turn of the century
It's time for us to redefine who we be
You can shave it off
Like a South African beauty
Or get in on lock
Like Bob Marley
You can rock it straight
Like Oprah Winfrey
If it's not what's on your head
It's what's underneath and say HEY,

[Chorus]

[Akon: Verse 2]
Who cares if you don't like that
With nothin to lose postin with the wave cap
And the cops wanna harass cuz I got waves
Ain't see nothin like that in all my days (o oh)
And you gotta change all this feelings
They be judging one another by their appearance
Yes India, i feel ya girl
Now go 'head talk to the rest of the world cuz,

[Bridge]
(Whoa, whoa, whoa)
Does the way I wear my hair make me a better person?
(Whoa, whoa, whoa)
Does the way I wear my hair make me a better friend? Oooh
(Whoa, whoa, whoa)
Does the way I wear my hair determine my integrity?
(Whoa, whoa, whoa)
I am expressing my creativity,
(Whoa, whoa, whoa)

[India.Arie: Verse 3]
Breast Cancer and Chemotherapy
Took away her crown and glory
She promised God if she was to survive
She would enjoy everyday of her life ooh
On national television
Her diamond eyes are sparkling
Bald headed like a full moon shining
Singing out to the whole wide world like HEY,

[Chorus til fade] [/b]

http://www.letssingit.com/?/indiaarie-i-am-not-my-hair-remix-ft-akon-727f2r1.html
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by bluenubian(f): 3:22pm On May 26, 2006
yeah heard it, i love it, i love that song pot of gold too
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by diddy4(m): 5:47pm On May 26, 2006
cool song
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by Ciaralover(f): 6:01pm On May 26, 2006
Thats my song!!!
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by eveseh(f): 4:39pm On May 28, 2006
nice one but i havent heard it yet
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by Oracle(m): 1:48am On May 29, 2006
I watched it some days Ago
it was cool but she (india arie) wore a lot of hairstyles and they just show people scrolling across the screen.

Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by Nobody: 4:46am On Jun 26, 2006
nice song , i like it.
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by shawna(f): 6:38pm On Jun 26, 2006
i love that song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its one of my favourite song am like so obsessed with it and the video is so cool! cheesy
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by kemulala(f): 4:08am On Jun 27, 2006
That song is powerful, for real, it talks about how some black women , we try to change our hair hair, for the sake of beauty.
I must said that thanks to that and to neutrality.com , I decided to wear my kins (my natural hair) grin
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by shawna(f): 6:05am On Jun 27, 2006
i know its a really powerful song its like my new theme song grin grin grin
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by Mystique(f): 8:23am On Jun 29, 2006
Luv d song cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by ademiller(f): 12:28pm On Jul 06, 2006
come on guys lets all b realistic, that song would only sell becuse Akon featured in it. Im being real. The part sang by indiana was so damn dry, Akon wit his lovely sweet voice spiced it up. So we want the truth. The song was 85 percent good because of Akon.India was just there. Na woh woh baff am.
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by zebudaya(m): 5:24pm On Jul 21, 2006
You are your hair! if i met and liked you when you had long hair, I would prefer you keep the long hair instead of gorimapa
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by shawna(f): 5:31pm On Jul 21, 2006
lmao cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by Oracle(m): 6:24pm On Jul 21, 2006
zebudaya:

You are your hair! if i met and liked you when you had long hair, I would prefer you keep the long hair instead of gorimapa
you are definitely not your hair.
if you don't like or love because he/she is wearing a hairstyle you don't fancy, then you're not worth loving. itz simple.

according to india arie "you are the soul that lives within"
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by zebudaya(m): 7:09pm On Jul 21, 2006
Oracle:

you are definitely not your hair.
if you don't like or love because he/she is wearing a hairstyle you don't fancy, then you're not worth loving. itz simple.

according to india arie "you are the soul that lives within"

Which one concern me with soul, i know she has a beautiful soul okay no shakings, i want her to keep the long hair she had when i met her. She has to stay fly, How would she feel if i stop cutting and combing my hair?
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by shawna(f): 7:11pm On Jul 21, 2006
so u're shallow undecided
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by zebudaya(m): 7:12pm On Jul 21, 2006
nope truthful, honest, and visual.
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by shawna(f): 7:13pm On Jul 21, 2006
whatever tongue
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by Hana: 8:03am On Aug 17, 2006
zebudaya:

nope truthful, honest, and visual.

Kudos. You obviously missed the whole entire point of the whole song. Amazing.

The song promotes the hair as a symbol as something that can be changed with you're life, and something so easily altered and expressing creativity. Asking "How would she feel if i stop cutting and combing my hair?" has no point, and doesn't even commute with your argument. It's about her expressing herself, about people not judging by looks. Not caring appearances, but instead the soul, the content of the people.

She has to stay fly, yeah - she has to stay fly for herself.
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by peachie(f): 1:43pm On Mar 22, 2007
cheesy Fly girls check out www.napturality.com[color=#990000][/color]
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by Yusufadeto(m): 9:01pm On Mar 22, 2007
I love the track alot, it really means alot and have alot of message in it. To my own understanding i think they are just trying to pass a message, for people not to judge others, by there appearance or the way other looks or do there things, you just have to accept others for who they are and not to try to change them to whom you want them to be. Don't try to judge people by looks because some are so beautiful outside but they are worst than devil inside but some are not that pretty but they heart is that of gold.

YOU ARE NOT YOUR HAIR OR LOOKS, YOU ARE THE SOUL THAT LIVE WITHIN YOU
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by israelite(m): 9:43pm On May 03, 2007
i can stop to play the music over and over in the album, i love the lyrics and the combination of the voice, akon is good singer i also love pot of gold as well. cool wink
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by 9ja4eva: 4:15am On Jul 09, 2007
Keep on doing ur thang gurl
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by PTBNaija(f): 4:37am On Aug 07, 2007
India always speaks the truth. . . smiley
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by shereef: 2:11pm On Aug 07, 2007
She's good, i love her songs
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by Phlota(f): 6:30am On Aug 09, 2007
India Arie's superb
D song is xceptnal
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by 9ja4eva: 3:37am On Aug 28, 2007
Yeah right
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by Beta001(f): 12:45am On Oct 15, 2007
That's my song. wink
Re: I Am Not My Hair (remix): India Arie Ft Akon by Bennyslove(f): 5:25pm On Oct 24, 2007
@dalisto, u the bomb.
Keep doing your thing.

(1) (Reply)

Download Mp3: Demarco-no Wahala Ft Akon & Runtown / Tiwa Savage Ft. Wizkid - "Bad" (Video) / How Do I Get My Video On Mtv Base And Channel O

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.