Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,244 members, 7,815,348 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:06 AM

Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves (16752 Views)

Armed Robber Nearly Lynched In Ikeja (Graphic Photos) / Naval Officer Mistaken For A Robber, Lynched In Abuja / 2 Female Robbers Lynched In Aba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by FSU: 6:10am On Jul 31, 2013
Policemen attached to the Badagry Police Division, Lagos State, and some hoodlums have been accused of killing a 25-year-old undergraduate of Delta State University, Ifechukwude Nwainokpor, and his friend, identified simply as Kazeem.

An eight-minute video clip of the gruesome killing, which was made available to PUNCH Metro, showed the two victims handcuffed together. They were covered in their own blood and beaten to death with sticks. Tyres were also put round their necks.

An irate mob could be seen in the video, shouting, "die, die, burn them, burn them."

At some points in the video, a policeman was seen interviewing the boys. He asked who sent them (victims) to rob the area, an accusation they denied. One of the hoodlums, holding a sharp object attempted to cut off the private part of one of the victims.

Nwainokpor could be seen pleading with the hoodlums and policemen to spare his life, saying he could identify himself if given a chance. His plea, however, fell on deaf ears.

Our correspondent, who visited the family of Nwainokpor on Tuesday, learnt that the lynching took place around 3pm on July 21, 2013 in Ajara area of Badagry, a community not far from Nwainokpor's family home.

His father, Samuel, told PUNCH Metro that his son was arrested while passing through a street in the area but a misunderstanding later ensued and the hoodlums pounced on him and Kazeem.

He added that Nwainokpor, who was nicknamed Ify, was a final year student of Geology and Mining.

He said, "On that particular day, I was in Ghana when I received a telephone call that I should come immediately. My wife was in Delta State taking care of her mother.

"When I arrived two days later, my relatives and the caretaker of my house told me that my son was killed in the Ajara area along with his friend. I was devastated.

"I got my son a temporary job with a Customs licensed agent since their lecturers were on strike. He worked everyday except on Sundays when he visited his friends. On that day, he went to see Kazeem and they were strolling around Ajara."

Samuel said because there had been a robbery in Ajara four days earlier, some of the residents were on the lookout for strange faces.

He added that when the youth saw two unknown young men, they accosted them and an argument ensued.

He said the youth called the head of the vigilante group in the area, one Asiribo.

He said, "Asiribo came to the scene with a locally-made pistol and handcuffs. He handcuffed my son and his friend before asking them questions.

"Later, it was decided that the boys be taken to the Baale, Agano Oniyon of Agamade Ajara. But as they were going, Asiribo, while trying to return his gun into its pouch, mistakenly shot himself in the stomach and died."

Samuel said Asiribo's death infuriated the youth, who blamed the boys for his death.

"The mob picked up sticks and beat them to death. Policemen were there," he said.

Holding back tears, the retired immigration officer added that the police treated the matter as a robbery case. Beating his chest, Samuel said there was no way his son would have been involved in armed robbery.

He said, "I have been living in Badagry since 1982. I have only two children and Ifechukwude is the first. Ironically, he was born in that same area where he was killed.

"I have lived in this area without any trouble and the residents can tell you that my sons are good boys."

Nwainokpor's boss, Aloysius Onyenibedi, described him as an honest and hardworking person.

"I trusted him to the extent that I used to keep a lot of money with him. He was good to my children and was honest," he said.

The Nwainokpor family berated the Divisional Police Officer, Badagry Police Station, Dankoli Mohammed, for the manner he treated the case.

Samuel said when he approached the DPO, he was told that his son was killed at midnight for armed robbery.

He said, "When the policemen came to take the corpses, guns were planted on them. Policemen at the station told the DPO that they were robbers. Their corpses were taken along with that Asiribo to Badagry General Hospital's mortuary.

"The following morning, the DPO released Asiribo's corpse for burial without investigation. My relatives went to the station and after showing the DPO the video, the matter was transferred to the Area K Command.

"At Present, Asiribo's son has fled, while the DPO has been unable to identify the policemen who were present at the scene when my son and his friend were killed."

PUNCH Metro however learnt that through the video, some people had arrested one of the perpetrators. The suspect had been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department, Panti, Yaba.

The spokesperson for the state police command, Ngozi Braide, said, "The incident is quite pathetic. Even if they were armed robbers, no one has the right to take the life of another. Why then do we have the police and the judiciary? The Nigerian police as well as the law condemn mob action and jungle justice. The commissioner of police has set up a high- powered investigation body to investigate the matter."

http://www.punchng.com/news/police-hoodlums-accused-of-killing-student-friend/

1 Like

Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by FSU: 6:24am On Jul 31, 2013
There are so many wild savages in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by mgbeketoto: 6:26am On Jul 31, 2013
That your link is fake o! cheesy
ALUU in Lagos state?
Oturu MGBEKE O!

What a country!
TWA!

I don't know why people will not SIT in their own states and develop them!
WHO WANTS TO GO AND WORK IN LAGOS? undecided
No work in DELTA state Nigeria?

Nigeria is not safe to wander too far from home. . .LESSONS LEARNED!
Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by FSU: 6:30am On Jul 31, 2013
mgbeketoto: That your link is fake o! cheesy
ALUU in Lagos state?
Oturu MGBEKE O!

What a country!
TWA!

I don't know why people will not SIT in their own states and develop them!
WHO WANTS TO GO AND WORK IN LAGOS? undecided
No work in DELTA state Nigeria?

Nigeria is not safe to wander too far from home. . .LESSONS LEARNED!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=669040989775620&l=b40bb65a7b
Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by mgbeketoto: 6:31am On Jul 31, 2013
Facebook news?
Tufiakwa! kiss
Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by FSU: 6:33am On Jul 31, 2013
mgbeketoto: Facebook news?
Tufiakwa! kiss

Hahahah! Why are you so truculent? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Just showing you diverse sources
Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by FSU: 6:37am On Jul 31, 2013
kingoflag: @FSU

Ok, what was the point putting up this exact duplicate post instead of just contributing to the one set up earlier? undecided

Who are you competing with?
Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by Omexonomy: 6:43am On Jul 31, 2013
If this story is true then we are on a long thing in this country. Those police should be indentified and dealt with seriously. Lagos is a sad place filled with angry people.
Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by Nobody: 6:44am On Jul 31, 2013
Smh for both of you. Quarreling over another man's property. Seun oma Ku suru
Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by Prowizy2(m): 7:15am On Jul 31, 2013
This is not good atall..

1 Like

Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by Nobody: 7:15am On Jul 31, 2013
OMG!
Nobody knows what will happen the next minute.had they known,they will tell somebody to lock them in and throw away d keys.poor innocent souls.
That's why its imperative for us to always commit our days in the hands of our maker.He alone fights unseen battles for us.(Except for those that don't believe in God.maybe they should follow their instinct)
So sad. RIP poor souls. The nigerian police is a hopeless case.look at them,so hungry looking and they r always looking for whom to transfer their accumulated frustration to.I've never seen a smart looking policeman,even the educated ones.
As for the mob,like father like son.That was the only way they were brought up.violence.they r everywhere.

4 Likes

Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by Nobody: 7:16am On Jul 31, 2013
Our leaders feed fat in the comfort of their well fortified mansions...competing with each other in their uncanny ability to accummulate stolen wealth of the masses.. The corruption has eaten deep into thoe very system that should fight it(the police and other security forces). Just like in the case of the HIV virus destroying the imune system before going on to ravage the body. The Force has now become mecenaries and willing tools in the hands of the highest bidders. ... The greed of this nations ruLing class will drive this nation into a revolution if unchecked.....
I pray that when or if eventually, that revolution comeS, that the innocent will be led through a protected path of escape...

1 Like

Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by EllyBrainyTM: 10:46am On Jul 31, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by Iaz93: 10:47am On Jul 31, 2013
OK!
Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by Fazhy: 10:49am On Jul 31, 2013
Hmmmm. embarassed
Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by fishkaveli(m): 10:52am On Jul 31, 2013
Passing with spEed

1 Like

Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by Nobody: 10:53am On Jul 31, 2013
OMG embarassed
Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by oubi: 10:53am On Jul 31, 2013
[size=14pt]If the boys lived in that area since 1982 how come their identity was unknown to their neighbours[/size]

1 Like

Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by Muscomide: 10:53am On Jul 31, 2013
Not again. When will these acts of savagery stop in this damned country? When??
Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by antartica(m): 10:53am On Jul 31, 2013
Nigerians are pure evil,that love to kill the helpless.How can this continue in a country that practice socalled democracy?A country where churches and mosques dominates the streets?

1 Like

Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by nekaa(f): 10:54am On Jul 31, 2013
Not again.... I hope ASUU can now call of their strike, too many kids have gone for this same reason...

1 Like

Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by UyiIredia(m): 10:56am On Jul 31, 2013
Barbaric indeed.
Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by julioralph(m): 10:56am On Jul 31, 2013
sad Aluuisim in Lagos? So sad.
This just confirms dat an average Nigerian Police Officer is an agent of evil!
lipsrsealed

3 Likes

Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by Burger01(m): 10:56am On Jul 31, 2013
embarassed This is not gooooood!!!

sad
Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by paulkhalifa(m): 10:57am On Jul 31, 2013
antartica: Nigerians are pure evil,that love to kill the helpless.How can this continue in a country that practice socalled democracy?A country where churches and mosques dominates the streets?
no matter how bad we are there are still some good people
Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by paveinc(m): 10:57am On Jul 31, 2013
Where is d video?

1 Like

Re: Two Men Lynched In Lagos, Accused Of Being Thieves by timpaker(m): 10:58am On Jul 31, 2013
Naija mentality. SMH! embarassed embarassed embarassed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

EFCC Gives Obaigbena Two-week Ultimatum To Refund N670m / Student Arrested For Hacking Cousin To Death In Adamawa (Photo) / Armed Robbers Snatch N16m From NNPC Mega Station Employees In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.