Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,995 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:28 PM

Is Nokia Going Broke? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Is Nokia Going Broke? (1046 Views)

Is Nokia N9 In Nigeria / How Much Is Nokia C6-01 / How Much Is Nokia C6 Or Nokia X6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Nokia Going Broke? by onegig(m): 6:40am On Aug 02, 2013
Dont mind the catchy heading.

Speculations are rife on the technology world that nokia is not doing well in terms of sales and You should be surprised why i am also asking such a question...is Nokia phone sales really looking so gloomy that they had to stick to desperate measures of spamming people's inbox with ads about their phones. Is this what they call marketing when a reputable org resort to sending unsolicited emails just to sell their products. FYI i have never subscribed to any nokia programs and don't fancy their phones because even my year 2005 Sony ericsson w380i functions better than nokia's 2012 asha. . . but was surprised to see a mail with the caption "have you seen our latest phones" from nokia stating the new phones they have in stock.

I have since unsubscribed from them sending me emails again.
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by Nobody: 8:51am On Aug 02, 2013

*singing Adele* Never mind I found an eediot today.
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by onegig(m): 10:31am On Aug 02, 2013
SimonAndal:
*singing Adele* Never mind I found an eediot today.
you miss road abi?
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by smajatt(m): 10:37am On Aug 02, 2013
lols
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by physise(m): 10:38am On Aug 02, 2013
onegig: [centre]Speculations are rife go the tech world that nokia is not doing well and You shoud be suprised am asking such a question...is Nokia phone sales really looking so gloomy that they had to stick to desperate measures of spamming people's inbox with ads about their phones. Is this what they call marketing when a reputable org resort to sending unsolicited emails just to sell their products. Fyi i have never subscribed to any nokia programs and dont fancy them because even my year 2005 sony ericsson w380i functions better than nokia's 2012 asha. . . but was suprised to see a mail with the caption "have you seen our latest phones" from nokia stating the new phones they have in stock. [/centre]
lol i pity nokia
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by onegig(m): 11:22am On Aug 02, 2013
physise: lol i pity nokia
abi now...when you took the wrong decision to support a wrong platform by investing in windows mobile instead of investing in interesting platforms like android then don't turn my inbox to a whinnìng bucket where you pour your misery cries. A sister bought the lumnia but cant even perform simple tasks like connecting your usb to a pc for file transfer. You have to first go register a windows live account before being able to download a software that will enable you recieve files. You cant download games nor send files to others .no wireless hotspots . You can imagine the pain. She is dumping it to get am android soon.
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by UchihaItachi(m): 11:43am On Aug 02, 2013
^^^
Am sure u're not talking about wp8, maybe its wp0 that has those problems..
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by Youngpo413: 12:01pm On Aug 02, 2013
onegig: abi now...when you took the wrong decision to support a wrong platform by investing in windows mobile instead of investing in interesting platforms like android then don't turn my inbox to a whinnìng bucket where you pour your misery cries. A sister bought the lumnia but cant even perform simple tasks like connecting your usb to a pc for file transfer. You have to first go register a windows live account before being able to download a software that will enable you recieve files. You cant download games nor send files to others .no wireless hotspots . You can imagine the pain. She is dumping it to get am android soon.

are you sure ?cuz the window phone 8 I know can perform all those tasks with ease,as for wireless hotspot,the latest lumia 625 has it and am sure others that will be released must follow suit.
Personally,am not happy with nokia,they could have gone for android instead of window Os,but whatever it is,only time will tell.
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by stone07(m): 12:22pm On Aug 02, 2013
onegig: abi now...when you took the wrong decision to support a wrong platform by investing in windows mobile instead of investing in interesting platforms like android then don't turn my inbox to a whinnìng bucket where you pour your misery cries. A sister bought the lumnia but cant even perform simple tasks like connecting your usb to a pc for file transfer. You have to first go register a windows live account before being able to download a software that will enable you recieve files. You cant download games nor send files to others .no wireless hotspots . You can imagine the pain. She is dumping it to get am android soon.
You are talking rubbish.Hw wll it not have all those features.If u dont know about d fone u better keep ur mouth shut.Nokia for dat matter,wll not hv dat functions?
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by onegig(m): 12:37pm On Aug 02, 2013
stone07:
You are talking rubbish.Hw wll it not have all those features.If u dont know about d fone u better keep ur mouth shut.Nokia for dat matter,wll not hv dat functions?

Its you that should keep your fucking mouth shut. Why can't you pass your ideas without being abusive. angry angry

You don't want to know my level in IT so keep your dirty mouth shut. Get a lumnia and connect your usb to a system then your crappy dumbbell self back here and tell me if you can access your files.

@others
Anyone using lumnia 7.5 and can transfer files or send files common music without first downloading Zune should hit me up here.

Its not a problem with nokia but the platform they based their phone on.
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by onegig(m): 12:50pm On Aug 02, 2013
Young po413:

are you sure ?cuz the window phone 8 I know can perform all those tasks with ease,as for wireless hotspot,the latest lumia 625 has it and am sure others that will be released must follow suit.
Personally,am not happy with nokia,they could have gone for android instead of window Os,but whatever it is,only time will tell.

Here's some of the basic things a phone should be able to do that the lumnia 510 (flagship phone) am talking about can't do. And what

It comes with Windows Phone 7.5 OS
1. Bluetooth: No File Transfer Support!

What is Bluetooth there for? Correct, to transfer files. Any common phone supports Bluetooth file transfer. But with Lumia, you cannot transfer your files because Lumia does not support widely used OBEX file transfer protocol for Bluetooth. You can transfer only contacts. So they have wasted on unusable Bluetooth feature, but…

2. No SD Card or Expandable Memory

…they did not think about expandable memory card slot! Worst, if you have bought a so called entry level smartphone Nokia Lumia 510, you are stuck because it has only 2.5 GB actually usable memory out of advertised 4 GB. We will come to that point in detail.

3. No USB Mass Storage: You Cannot Directly Transfer Your Files!

Bluetooth is unusable… OK. But you cannot also directly transfer your files from your computer! Sadly Lumia does not support USB mass storage. You have to either use a cloud service or a CRAP utility called Zune with a USB cable to transfer files.
Think about that! If you want to simply copy your favorite song or picture from your computer to phone, first upload it from your computer to your cloud account and then sync with your phone.
What about Zune? I am a software developer and rarely call a software ‘crap’. Zune is the most user-unfriendly software I have ever reviewed. Did really Microsoft develop Zune? It will take too long time and efforts to understand how you can transfer files using Zune. I do not know who uses that software. And if you a novice PC user, Forget it!
And as a bonus, you cannot transfer files of type 3GP and AVI videos. There is nothing like a basic feature called file manager.

4. Large Share of ‘Reserved’ Memory

You are going to feel cheated, because there is a lot of difference between advertised internal memory versus usable memory for Lumia. For example, in a Lumia 800 with 16 GB advertised memory, you can use only 13.8 GB! And worst case, if you have bought Lumia 510, you are stuck at only 2.5 GB. Out of 4 GB advertised memory, 1.5 GB is ‘reserved’ for system! You have no control or setting over it. And do not forget that there is no external expandable memory card slot.

5. Wi-Fi Will Turn Off When Screen Is Locked

One thing you need to be careful. If your phone is in power-saver mode, the Wi-Fi will turn off automatically if the screen is locked. If you want to keep the Wi-Fi on, you need to get the phone out of the power-saver mode. No, there is no other option!
And surprisingly Lumia does not support Wi-Fi tethering (also known as Wi-Fi hotspot) which any common Android phone can support.

Do you know this is just the tip of the ice berg? and to think this phone cost over 30k when she bought it.. angry

You cant even watch live video from youtube or any other site.

No wonder Techno is whooping their ass all over Nigeria and west-central Africa. How many people have you seen using a nokia lately?? sad sad
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by stone07(m): 1:32pm On Aug 02, 2013
onegig:

Its you that should keep your fucking mouth shut. Why can't you pass your ideas without being abusive. angry angry

You don't want to know my level in IT so keep your dirty mouth shut. Get a lumnia and connect your usb to a system then your crappy dumbbell self back here and tell me if you can access your files.

@others
Anyone using lumnia 7.5 and can transfer files or send files common music without first downloading Zune should hit me up here.

Its not a problem with nokia but the platform they based their phone on.
That is ur own cup of tea mr IT.Take ur IT knowledge to produce a simple fone for us to see.
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by onegig(m): 1:38pm On Aug 02, 2013
stone07:
That is ur own cup of tea mr IT.Take ur IT knowledge to produce a simple fone for us to see.

Oh! I see . You cant debate logically. Can you please excuse us?
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by stone07(m): 3:27pm On Aug 02, 2013
onegig:

Oh! I see . You cant debate logically. Can you please excuse us?
Sorry o.If i need to debate on topics,is it here or on topic dat i wll not derive any positive things u want me to debate on?
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by LordReed(m): 5:21pm On Sep 03, 2013
onegig:

Here's some of the basic things a phone should be able to do that the lumnia 510 (flagship phone) am talking about can't do. And what

It comes with Windows Phone 7.5 OS

Haba guy why you dey go back now? WP is now on 8 why attack 7.5 as if it's the latest?
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by onegig(m): 5:48pm On Sep 03, 2013
Lord_Reed:

Haba guy why you dey go back now? WP is now on 8 why attack 7.5 as if it's the latest?
common.. Even some os that were developed as far back as 2005 could do all those things. Lets just accept wp whether 6.5 or 7.5 is crap..
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by LordReed(m): 6:32pm On Sep 03, 2013
onegig: common.. Even some os that were developed as far back as 2005 could do all those things. Lets just accept wp whether 6.5 or 7.5 is crap..

If you are going to honestly judge a coys efforts you need to look at their current work not ancient history. Who even talks about WP7.5 sef?

Please leave this WP7.5 matter and experience WP8 before you can judge.
Re: Is Nokia Going Broke? by onegig(m): 8:10pm On Sep 03, 2013
Lord_Reed:

If you are going to honestly judge a coys efforts you need to look at their current work not ancient history. Who even talks about WP7.5 sef?

Please leave this WP7.5 matter and experience WP8 before you can judge.
actually i would check out wp8 but seriously i was disappointed with what i saw on wp 7.5. But first please let me ask this very important question before i go on doing a wp 8 review. Does it support plug and play usb use. I.e files access without a third party software? If yes then i would proceed and explore but if no then microsoft should just forget me. I want a flexible phone that can be on the go without extra baggage..i.e the use of specific softwares before you can perform simple actions

(1) (Reply)

New Bb 9720 / Turn Your Android Device Into A Security Camera / Huawei Ascend P7 Specification - Mymobnet!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.