Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,931 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:28 PM

Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) (23416 Views)

Team Nigeria At The African Athletics Championship / Nigerian Fans Meeting Ethiopian Fans In Addis Ababa Before The Match (Pictures) / Okagbare Wins Silver In Long Jump At World Athletics Championship, Moscow 2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply) (Go Down)

Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by olapluto(m): 10:05pm On Aug 02, 2013
1999 was the last time we won a medal in athletics world champs. We have a big big chance to win up to 5 medals this time. This thread is to give a countdown, as well as preparation of team Nigeria for Moscow.
Nigeria's medal hopes rest on the shoulders of one lady: Blessing Okagbare. Blessing alone can win up to 4 medals for Nigeria (100m, 200m, long jump and 4x100 relay). This thread will look at each events and Nigeria's chances.

1 Like

Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by olapluto(m): 10:07pm On Aug 02, 2013
A blog by a popular Jamaican blogger on Blessing's chances:
COULD THERE BE A GOLD MEDAL FOR BLESSING IN MOSCOW?
I am officially going on record saying that Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare is in the medal hunt for the women’s 100-metres in Moscow. I will further go on record saying that Shelly Ann Frazer-Pryce had better get it right there or else the John Smith-coached Nigerian sprinter/long jumper could possibly take the coveted gold medal.
Okagbare was dragged kicking and screaming from the tiny little town of Texas El Paso where she attended school back in 2011 as her shoe sponsors Nike wanted to have Smith, the sprint guru, mould her prodigious talent into something spectacular.
The Nigerian had been quite content to remain in El Paso but made the move. It paid off almost immediately as she made it to the Olympic finals in London last year. She finished last but not to be overlooked was the time -11.01s- that she produced in the finals after taking her semi-final heats in 10.92s.
Fast forward to the new season and Blessing came has come out showing that she is an improved model. In May in Shanghai, she chased down and caught Carmelita Jeter, the reigning world champion, but finished second to Frazer-Pryce in 10.96. Jeter pulled up with an injury late in the race but there can’t be any doubt that injury or not, it seemed as if the Nigerian was going to pass Jeter regardless. At the Prefontaine Classic in Oregon in June, on a fast track and in ideal sprinting conditions, she blazed to a 10.75 clocking in slightly windy conditions, 2.2 m/s, storming past Veronica Campbell Brown to once again take second behind Jamaica’s pocket rocket who won in 10.71.
The greatest indicator yet that she has been closing the gap between herself and the two-time Olympic 100-m champion was in Paris on July 7 when Okagbare stormed through the field late to finish 0.01 seconds shy of Frazer-Pryce’s 10.92. In was even more instructive that had she run through the tape she could have handed the Jamaican darling her first loss over the 100 metres this season. Instead, perhaps too eager for the line, she started dipping from 10 metres out and almost fell but still lost by the smallest of margins.
I know we can all argue that Frazer-Pryce did not get a great start, but neither did the Nigerian, who closed like a runaway train. She beat Frazer-Pryce going 200m just over a week before and it is clear she is not intimidated by the Jamaican or anyone else for that matter. It can also be argued that Frazer-Pryce is in preparation mode for the World Championships and is not at her sharpest, but we can also assume that Okagbare is in similar mode five weeks before the start of the championships on August 10.
It is likely that Jeter will not be factor in Moscow, given that she has looked quite ordinary in the two 200-metre races she has had since coming back from the injury she suffered in Shanghai. There will also be no Campbell-Brown who is facing possible suspension from competition and that opens up the field in the women’s short sprint.
The field should look something like this: Frazer-Pryce, Kelli-Ann Baptiste, Kerron Stewart, Ivet Lalova, Murielle Ahoure, and perhaps English Gardener, Sherone Simpson. In this field as is, only one athlete is this year better in the 100 metres than the Nigerian, who has beaten everyone this season over the 100m and 200m.
Will the rounds be a factor? Perhaps. But with the Nigerian being stronger and faster than ever, her exertions should be minimal advancing to the finals. Should that be the case, it’s hard to see anyone except Frazer-Pryce getting the better of her. If not, the gold could very well be hers.
Source: http://gleanerblogs.com/sports/?p=2008

1 Like

Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by olapluto(m): 10:07pm On Aug 02, 2013
Nigeria will be sending 20 athletes to Moscow. The tournament starts next Saturday, 10th August. There are 12 females and 8 male athletes. The athletes are listed below:
FEMALE
1. Blessing Okagbare 100m/200m/Long Jump
2. Gloria Asumnu 100m
3. Regina George 400m
4. Ajoke Odumosu 400m Hurdles
5. Omolara Omotosho 400m
6. Ehigie Josephine 400m
7. Okon Patience 400m
8. Stephanie Kalu 100m
9. Ugonna Ndu 400m Hurdles
10. Uko Peace 4x100m
11. Mayungbe Ibukun 4x400m
12. Abogunloko Bukola 4x400m
MALE
13. Egwero Ogho-Oghene 100m
14. Noah Akwu 200m/400m
15. Momoh Leoman 800m
16. Tosin Oke Triple Jump
17. Onakoya Abiola 4x400m
18. Salihu Isah 4x400m
19. Ogunmoa Tobi 4x400m
20. Odeka Gerald 4x400m

1 Like

Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by akintun: 10:57pm On Aug 02, 2013
Where is d possible fifth medal going to come from. I don't see any other Nigerian or Nigerian team (except d 4x400 female) making d finals, talkless of meddling. Regina George has failed to improve and Odumosu has not been herself dis season. Blessing should win a gold pls. I have been a t&f fan since I was a kid in 1992, and have followed every major championship since then, and all I have experienced is disappointment frm Nigeria athletes. Chioma Ajunwa(97), Ogunkoya(99), Alozie(99) and Obikwelu(99) failed to win gold medals despite d strong form dey showed b4 and during d WC. Okagbare should break d Gold medal curse.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by Nobody: 11:22pm On Aug 02, 2013
You have my support
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by datChelseaBoy: 11:31pm On Aug 02, 2013
Wow! I can't wait for it. It brings back memories of Usain Bolt's world record shattering 9.58 seconds in the 2009 edition.

1 Like

Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by olapluto(m): 11:58pm On Aug 02, 2013
I will start by saying our male athletes have ZERO chance of getting any individual medals in Moscow. Male athletes have been failing over the years, they are aging and the new generation are not getting support from the government. The best for the future seems to be Divine Oduduru who can be great if he is bundled to America to get his training under a better coach.
There's a 'new face' in the team. Leoman Momoh has just started representing Nigeria. He is a middle distance (800m) runner from Arkansas. Young, powerful and one for the future if AFN treat him well. Egwero Ogho-Oghene in the 100m will do well to get past the heats. It will be a miracle for him to get to the semi-finals.
Noah Akwu has improved and he is more suited for the 400m. He can make the semis if he pushes hard. He's a great asset for the 4x400m team.
Tosin Oke can make the finals in the triple jump on his good day, this season he's not been near his best. Good luck to him making the finals.
The men's 4x400m is our best chance of a male medal. The team is younger than previous teams and we have runners in 45s and low 46s. If they get to the final, they have a chance of a medal.

1 Like

Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by bambostic: 2:23am On Aug 03, 2013
Team Nigeria!

In preparation for the World Champs starting in just over a week, check out this video celebrating Blessing Okagbare's feat of breaking the 100m African Record twice within 2 hours on Saturday! You'll see from the video that it's been a very long time coming - and the video also pays homage to former African Track & Field Queens, Glory Alozie (the former official holder of the record at 10.90) and Chioma Ajunwa (who ran a time of 10.84 back in Lagos in 1992 that was never ratified as the record for one reason or another...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCH2vjROrp4

It's fair to say that Blessing is now the undisputed African 100m Record Holder - bring on the world!

For my analysis of her chances at the World Championships in Moscow, check out my blog here: http://makingofchampions.net/2013/08/01/blessings-triple-threat-for-the-world-championships/

Basically, Blessing can get 3 GOLDs (100m, 200m, and Long Jump) and a Bronze (in 4x100m)- that's why my heart wants for her and Nigeria, but Shelly-Ann Fraser, Allyson Felix and Brittany Reese will be the 3 girls the world will be tipping to win her events, so Blessing should at least get Silver in each on current form! I'll tip her to upset Alyson Felix in the 200m at the World Champs. One thing's for certain - she'll get Mary Onyali's African Record of 22.07 in 2 week's time for some colour of medal. She may also get Chioma Ajunwa's Long Jump African Record of 7.12m. You heard it here first! wink
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by bambostic: 2:30am On Aug 03, 2013
ola_pluto: I will start by saying our male athletes have ZERO chance of getting any individual medals in Moscow. Male athletes have been failing over the years, they are aging and the new generation are not getting support from the government. The best for the future seems to be Divine Oduduru who can be great if he is bundled to America to get his training under a better coach.
There's a 'new face' in the team. Leoman Momoh has just started representing Nigeria. He is a middle distance (800m) runner from Arkansas. Young, powerful and one for the future if AFN treat him well. Egwero Ogho-Oghene in the 100m will do well to get past the heats. It will be a miracle for him to get to the semi-finals.
Noah Akwu has improved and he is more suited for the 400m. He can make the semis if he pushes hard. He's a great asset for the 4x400m team.
Tosin Oke can make the finals in the triple jump on his good day, this season he's not been near his best. Good luck to him making the finals.
The men's 4x400m is our best chance of a male medal. The team is younger than previous teams and we have runners in 45s and low 46s. If they get to the final, they have a chance of a medal.

I completely concur with your analysis - here is what I wrote on cybereagles yesterday about our medal chances:

"I expect 3 medals from Blessing - the exact colour, we just have to wait and see...I think beyond that, the 4x400m girls could get close to a medal (if they draft Odumosu into the final quartet) and Blessing could also help the 4x100m girls get a medal if they're lucky...outside that, maybe the 4x400m men but I highly doubt it...

I hope Noah doesn't burn himself out trying to combine the 200m & 400m - I would advise him to do only the 400m, then focus on helping the 4x400m team get a medal, because that is the closest any Nigerian man will get to a medal at this World Championships...hope he doesn't burn himself out on the 200m, because that would be a waste of his time at this point, if it could hurt his chances of getting a medal in the 4x400m..."
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by AyodejiCharles(m): 8:09pm On Aug 03, 2013
bambostic: Team Nigeria!

In preparation for the World Champs starting in just over a week, check out this video celebrating Blessing Okagbare's feat of breaking the 100m African Record twice within 2 hours on Saturday! You'll see from the video that it's been a very long time coming - and the video also pays homage to former African Track & Field Queens, Glory Alozie (the former official holder of the record at 10.90) and Chioma Ajunwa (who ran a time of 10.84 back in Lagos in 1992 that was never ratified as the record for one reason or another...)

It's fair to say that Blessing is now the undisputed African 100m Record Holder - bring on the world!

For my analysis of her chances at the World Championships in Moscow, check out my blog here: http://makingofchampions.net/2013/08/01/blessings-triple-threat-for-the-world-championships/

Basically, Blessing can get 3 GOLDs (100m, 200m, and Long Jump) and a Bronze (in 4x100m)- that's why my heart wants for her and Nigeria, but Shelly-Ann Fraser, Allyson Felix and Brittany Reese will be the 3 girls the world will be tipping to win her events, so Blessing should at least get Silver in each on current form! I'll tip her to upset Alyson Felix in the 200m at the World Champs. One thing's for certain - she'll get Mary Onyali's African Record of 22.07 in 2 week's time for some colour of medal. She may also get Chioma Ajunwa's Long Jump African Record of 7.12m. You heard it here first! wink

nice one Mr Ayobami! You have an amazing Athletics Blog I only want you guys to increase the frequency of updates especially during the world championship.
I was almost shedding tears when I read the post that documents on the Sad story of how we lost Francis Obikwelu to Portugal at
www.makingofchampions.net/2013/05/24/meeting-francis-obikwelu-in-portugal/

I think you guys should even start a Television Show on Athletics....( I may even love to join your crew )all we see on our Tv screens are Soccer Tv shows, I know for sure that you guys are gonna gain a lot of followership over time

By the way where is Seun Ogunkoya? I actually thought that guy was gonna become a world class beater but he suddenly went into oblivion!
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by olapluto(m): 12:05am On Aug 04, 2013
Very happy to see brilliant athletics bloggers here. It gives me hope for Nigerian athletics. Back to Moscow:
Female athletes are our hope. The brightest this time is Blessing Okagbare. She will be competing in the 100,200m, LJ and relay (4x100m).
100m
On current form, the lowest Blessing can get in the womens 100m is a silver. She has beaten everybody that matters, but in Shelly Ann Frayser-Pryce, she has a fierce competitor, an olympic gold medalist who is also in form. Earlier this season, Blessing's super improvement was apparent when she ran a 22.31s 200m at Mt. Sacs relays. She did that almost effortlessly. Since then, she's been churning out fast times in the 100m and winning the 200m. In the 100m, she's raced against SAFP 4 times this season. She lost 3, and won 1. The time difference steadily reduced from 0.07s to 0.04s then 0.01s before beating SAFP in London. That to me shows an improving lady.
Blessing has improved on her strength while working less on her weakness. She is so powerful between 50 and 100m its unreal. Due to her height, she has been finding it hard to get the best of starts. In London, her start was better in the final, making it possible to have that fast time. Certainly she can get better starts and still maintain her powerful drive. For SAFP, her start is her weapon. She makes like 10 steps before Blessing makes 7. In Moscow, IF Blessing can stay close to SAFP in the first 30m, then she will most likely win the Gold medal.
Another thing that can work against Blessing is fatigue. She is competing in 4 events! That is a big ask. Problem is that she's good in all of them, and has a real medal chance. The timetable in Moscow somehow favours her. She starts on day 1 with the LJ. Day 2 will be busy for her with the LJ final and 100m heats. However, judging from her races this season, she can easily run an 11.10 which will definitely qualify her for the semi-finals of the 100m. She can do this while conserving energy for the LJ final later in the day. Like she said in London, her recovery is key!
Our other representative in the womens 100m is Gloria Asumnu. This season hasnt been too great for her and she will have to work hard to make it to the semi-finals. Gloria is a very good addition to the relay team (which misses Damola Osayomi so much).
Generally, the women's 100m will be a great event to watch. The Americans do have a medal chance in Carmelita Jeter, but I doubt she's fully recovered from her quad injury. The other new faces who ran fast times at the US trials will most likely be hung out dry in Moscow. For me, I see a final line-up of:
Okagbare, SAFP, Kelly Ann-Baptiste, Carmelita Jeter (if injury free), Ivet Lalova, Maurielle Ahoure, Kerron Stewart and English Gardner.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by olapluto(m): 12:13am On Aug 04, 2013
bambostic: Team Nigeria!

Are you Enefiok Ubong, the gold medallist from Athens? I saw him in one of your reports in Jamaica. Great guy you are (he is).
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by bambostic: 11:31pm On Aug 04, 2013
AyodejiCharles:

nice one Mr Ayobami! You have an amazing Athletics Blog I only want you guys to increase the frequency of updates especially during the world championship.
I was almost shedding tears when I read the post that documents on the Sad story of how we lost Francis Obikwelu to Portugal at
www.makingofchampions.net/2013/05/24/meeting-francis-obikwelu-in-portugal/

I think you guys should even start a Television Show on Athletics....( I may even love to join your crew )all we see on our Tv screens are Soccer Tv shows, I know for sure that you guys are gonna gain a lot of followership over time

By the way where is Seun Ogunkoya? I actually thought that guy was gonna become a world class beater but he suddenly went into oblivion!

Thanks for the kudos for the blog! I've slowly been ramping it up, but rest assured we will have a lot more news and material posted on the blog in the next couple of weeks for the World Championships! Yes, Obikwelu's story was quite sad for Nigeria - as a nation we must make sure that we do not lose our best athletes because of our own stupidity...let's hope that we know how to treat Blessing after she becomes a World Champion in the next week or two, because if we don't there could be a risk of losing her to the US at some point during her career - after all she has been training there for over 4 years now and on current form is better than all their girls, even including her training partner Carmelita Jeter...

A TV show on athletics is a concept I've been working on - after all from all our travels this year, we actually have enough footage to do a full season show in Nigeria/Africa, so watch this space! Hopefully after Blessing has done us proud, there will be appetite in Nigeria for an athletics show, so let's see how that goes...

I'm really not sure about Seun Ogunkoya and what happened to him, though I think he was running way back in the 90s no? The last world class sprinters Nigeria had on the men's side were the likes of Olusoji Fasuba, Deji Aliu Uchenna Emedolu and Aaron Egbele, who won 4x100m bronze for Nigeria at Athens 2004 - we need to get back to those times!
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by bambostic: 11:42pm On Aug 04, 2013
ola_pluto: Very happy to see brilliant athletics bloggers here. It gives me hope for Nigerian athletics. Back to Moscow:
Female athletes are our hope. The brightest this time is Blessing Okagbare. She will be competing in the 100,200m, LJ and relay (4x100m).
100m
On current form, the lowest Blessing can get in the womens 100m is a silver. She has beaten everybody that matters, but in Shelly Ann Frayser-Pryce, she has a fierce competitor, an olympic gold medalist who is also in form. Earlier this season, Blessing's super improvement was apparent when she ran a 22.31s 200m at Mt. Sacs relays. She did that almost effortlessly. Since then, she's been churning out fast times in the 100m and winning the 200m. In the 100m, she's raced against SAFP 4 times this season. She lost 3, and won 1. The time difference steadily reduced from 0.07s to 0.04s then 0.01s before beating SAFP in London. That to me shows an improving lady.
Blessing has improved on her strength while working less on her weakness. She is so powerful between 50 and 100m its unreal. Due to her height, she has been finding it hard to get the best of starts. In London, her start was better in the final, making it possible to have that fast time. Certainly she can get better starts and still maintain her powerful drive. For SAFP, her start is her weapon. She makes like 10 steps before Blessing makes 7. In Moscow, IF Blessing can stay close to SAFP in the first 30m, then she will most likely win the Gold medal.
Another thing that can work against Blessing is fatigue. She is competing in 4 events! That is a big ask. Problem is that she's good in all of them, and has a real medal chance. The timetable in Moscow somehow favours her. She starts on day 1 with the LJ. Day 2 will be busy for her with the LJ final and 100m heats. However, judging from her races this season, she can easily run an 11.10 which will definitely qualify her for the semi-finals of the 100m. She can do this while conserving energy for the LJ final later in the day. Like she said in London, her recovery is key!
Our other representative in the womens 100m is Gloria Asumnu. This season hasnt been too great for her and she will have to work hard to make it to the semi-finals. Gloria is a very good addition to the relay team (which misses Damola Osayomi so much).
Generally, the women's 100m will be a great event to watch. The Americans do have a medal chance in Carmelita Jeter, but I doubt she's fully recovered from her quad injury. The other new faces who ran fast times at the US trials will most likely be hung out dry in Moscow. For me, I see a final line-up of:
Okagbare, SAFP, Kelly Ann-Baptiste, Carmelita Jeter (if injury free), Ivet Lalova, Maurielle Ahoure, Kerron Stewart and English Gardner.

Your analysis is spot on - I think Blessing will get at least 3 silver medals in the 100m, 200m and Long Jump - the main girls standing in her way in each event will be Shelly-Ann, Allyson Felix and Brittany Reese...I'm going to hope that Blessing can get GOLD in all three...but if I was going to tip her to win any of the three, I think it would be the 200m - I'm pretty sure she is going to shatter Mary Onyali's African record of 22.07s....I think she is going to go well below 22 seconds....probably 21.7 or 21.8...you heard it here first! wink
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by bambostic: 11:45pm On Aug 04, 2013
ola_pluto:
Are you Enefiok Ubong, the gold medallist from Athens? I saw him in one of your reports in Jamaica. Great guy you are (he is).

Hey! I'm not Enefiok but I did take him with me to Jamaica - we even appeared on National Television there! Here is our interview on the morning show of TV Jamaica from back in March!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpVjAMH96jk

You can also read the full story of how that happened here on the blog! http://makingofchampions.net/2013/04/06/smile-jamaica/
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by akintun: 11:47am On Aug 05, 2013
ola_pluto: Very happy to see brilliant athletics bloggers here. It gives me hope for Nigerian athletics. Back to Moscow:
100m

Okagbare has really surprised me dis season with her performance especially in d long jump. I believe she should easily qualify 4 d long jump final becos she can easily jump a 6.70 (usual qualifying distance) without even stepping on d take off board. D possible problem she could face is not having a very good first jump in d final of d LJ, where she would face some very good jumpers. Having to jump and compete six times against d best in d world might leave her mentally weak for d 100m d next day.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by akintun: 12:09pm On Aug 05, 2013
bambostic:

Thanks for the kudos for the blog! I've slowly been ramping it up, but rest assured we will have a lot more news and material posted on the blog in the next couple of weeks for the World Championships! Yes, Obikwelu's story was quite sad for Nigeria - as a nation we must make sure that we do not lose our best athletes because of our own stupidity...let's hope that we know how to treat Blessing after she becomes a World Champion in the next week or two, because if we don't there could be a risk of losing her to the US at some point during her career - after all she has been training there for over 4 years now and on current form is better than all their girls, even including her training partner Carmelita Jeter...

A TV show on athletics is a concept I've been working on - after all from all our travels this year, we actually have enough footage to do a full season show in Nigeria/Africa, so watch this space! Hopefully after Blessing has done us proud, there will be appetite in Nigeria for an athletics show, so let's see how that goes...

I'm really not sure about Seun Ogunkoya and what happened to him, though I think he was running way back in the 90s no? The last world class sprinters Nigeria had on the men's side were the likes of Olusoji Fasuba, Deji Aliu Uchenna Emedolu and Aaron Egbele, who won 4x100m bronze for Nigeria at Athens 2004 - we need to get back to those times!

Obikwelu case is actually a reflection of how Nigeria economy is structured. In Nigeria , just like America u are on your own, but d diff btw Nigeria and America is dat in America d private sector takes over d training and feeding of its top athletes while d rest are left on their own. D Europeans are socialist, and their gov foot d bills of their top athletes. In d Uk d athletes are sponsored via d National sport lottery. Okagbare can never leave Nigeria and compete 4 d USA. Infact such a decision at dis stage of her career would virtually ruin her career. She would have to wait 3 yrs b4 she can compete 4 America and d American trials are usually very tough and non forgiving 4 injured athletes. She would also most probably lose her employment with d Delta state gov, and may also lose her first bank sponsorship .
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by olapluto(m): 11:47pm On Aug 05, 2013
Official team list was released today by IAAF. 18 Nigerians were listed, leaving out Leo Momoh and Ugonna Ndu. I think they are yet to be cleared to switch nationality from USA to Nigeria. The list is detailed below:
NAME SEX COUNTRY DATE OF BIRTH DISCIPLINE
ABOGUNLOKO, Bukola Women NGR 18 AUG 1994 4x400 Metres Relay
AKWU, Noah Men NGR 23 SEP 1990 4x400 Metres Relay
ASUMNU, Gloria Women NGR 22 MAY 1985 4x100 Metres Relay,100 Metres
EGWERO, Ogho-Oghene Men NGR 26 NOV 1988 100 Metres
EHIGIE, Josephine Women NGR 1 DEC 1985 4x400 Metres Relay
GEORGE, Regina Women NGR 17 FEB 1991 4x400 Metres Relay,400 Metres
KALU, Stephanie Women NGR 5 AUG 1993 4x100 Metres Relay,100 Metres
ODEKA, Gerald Oghenemega NGR 21 MAR 1986 4x400 Metres Relay
ODUMOSU, Muizat Ajoke Women NGR 27 OCT 1987 400 Metres Hurdles
OGUNMOLA, Tobi Men NGR 20 JUN 1992 4x400 Metres Relay
OKAGBARE, Blessing Women NGR 9 OCT 1988 Long Jump,4x100 Metres Relay,200 Metres,100 Metres
OKE, Tosin Men NGR 1 OCT 1980 Triple Jump
OKON, Patience Women NGR 25 NOV 1991 4x400 Metres Relay
OMOTOSHO, Omolara Women NGR 25 MAY 1993 4x400 Metres Relay,400 Metres
ONAKOYA, Abiola Men NGR 10 OCT 1991 4x400 Metres Relay
SALIHU, Isah Men NGR 2 NOV 1991 4x400 Metres Relay
UKO, Alphonsus Peace Women NGR 26 DEC 1995 4x100m
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by akintun: 2:41am On Aug 06, 2013
ola_pluto: Official team list was released today by IAAF. 18 Nigerians were listed, leaving out Leo Momoh and Ugonna Ndu. I think they are yet to be cleared to switch nationality from USA to Nigeria. The list is detailed below:
NAME SEX COUNTRY DATE OF BIRTH DISCIPLINE
ABOGUNLOKO, Bukola Women NGR 18 AUG 1994 4x400 Metres Relay
AKWU, Noah Men NGR 23 SEP 1990 4x400 Metres Relay
ASUMNU, Gloria Women NGR 22 MAY 1985 4x100 Metres Relay,100 Metres
EGWERO, Ogho-Oghene Men NGR 26 NOV 1988 100 Metres
EHIGIE, Josephine Women NGR 1 DEC 1985 4x400 Metres Relay
GEORGE, Regina Women NGR 17 FEB 1991 4x400 Metres Relay,400 Metres
KALU, Stephanie Women NGR 5 AUG 1993 4x100 Metres Relay,100 Metres
ODEKA, Gerald Oghenemega NGR 21 MAR 1986 4x400 Metres Relay
ODUMOSU, Muizat Ajoke Women NGR 27 OCT 1987 400 Metres Hurdles
OGUNMOLA, Tobi Men NGR 20 JUN 1992 4x400 Metres Relay
OKAGBARE, Blessing Women NGR 9 OCT 1988 Long Jump,4x100 Metres Relay,200 Metres,100 Metres
OKE, Tosin Men NGR 1 OCT 1980 Triple Jump
OKON, Patience Women NGR 25 NOV 1991 4x400 Metres Relay
OMOTOSHO, Omolara Women NGR 25 MAY 1993 4x400 Metres Relay,400 Metres
ONAKOYA, Abiola Men NGR 10 OCT 1991 4x400 Metres Relay
SALIHU, Isah Men NGR 2 NOV 1991 4x400 Metres Relay
UKO, Alphonsus Peace Women NGR 26 DEC 1995 4x100m

I just went through ur list and I noticed dat a Certain Kemi Adekoya who ran 55.30 (A qualifying standard) in d 400m WH was not included, and she is just 20yrs. I'm not even sure dat Ugonna Ndu has d B standard. There is a possibility dat she was dropped becos she does not have d B standard, and if dat is d case d AFN messed up big time 4 leaving a young A standard runner at home.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by olapluto(m): 3:55am On Aug 06, 2013
akintun:

I just went through ur list and I noticed dat a Certain Kemi Adekoya who ran 55.30 (A qualifying standard) in d 400m WH was not included, and she is just 20yrs. I'm not even sure dat Ugonna Ndu has d B standard. There is a possibility dat she was dropped becos she does not have d B standard, and if dat is d case d AFN messed up big time 4 leaving a young A standard runner at home.
You're right. I was expecting to see Kemi in Moscow. She's a rare gem, home based athlete doing so well. I can only guess she's injured as she made the A standard as you noted. She's one for the future
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by bambostic: 10:00am On Aug 06, 2013
akintun:

Obikwelu case is actually a reflection of how Nigeria economy is structured. In Nigeria , just like America u are on your own, but d diff btw Nigeria and America is dat in America d private sector takes over d training and feeding of its top athletes while d rest are left on their own. D Europeans are socialist, and their gov foot d bills of their top athletes. In d Uk d athletes are sponsored via d National sport lottery. Okagbare can never leave Nigeria and compete 4 d USA. Infact such a decision at dis stage of her career would virtually ruin her career. She would have to wait 3 yrs b4 she can compete 4 America and d American trials are usually very tough and non forgiving 4 injured athletes. She would also most probably lose her employment with d Delta state gov, and may also lose her first bank sponsorship .

The First Bank sponsorship ended immediately after the Olympics last year...though I do agree with you, she does have much to lose by switching (for now), though I think the wait only used to be one year (not three) - was the rule changed at some point?
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by AyodejiCharles(m): 9:48pm On Aug 06, 2013
.....What happened to our Olympic Games representative in the 100 metres women hurdles... Seun Adigun?
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by olapluto(m): 4:00am On Aug 07, 2013
Long Jump Preview (Source: IAAF):
Can USA’s Brittney Reese win an unprecedented sixth consecutive global gold medal in the Long Jump?

In the space of four years, the 26-year-old has won two World Championships gold medals, two World Indoor Championships gold medals and the Olympic title. Gold in Moscow would make her the first woman in history to win three World Championships gold medals in the Long Jump – one more than legendary athletes Heike Drechsler, Jackie Joyner-Kersee and Fiona May.

But after a promising start to the season when she jumped a Diamond League record of 7.25m in Doha, Reese’s past two competitions have not quite gone to plan.

She registered three fouls at the US Championships and was then beaten at the Lausanne Diamond League meeting by Nigeria’s Blessing Okagbare. Reese had another disaster earlier in the season at the New York Diamond League meeting where she finished down in eighth place, failing to break six metres.

But Reese has a knack of getting it right when it matters most and she won’t surrender her crown without a fight.

Having already defeated Reese in Lausanne, if anyone is going to upset the reigning champion in Moscow, then Okagbare looks to be the best bet. The 24-year-old has impressed in the sprints this year, breaking the African 100m record with 10.79, but she hasn’t turned her back on her long-jumping roots.

She finished second to Reese in Doha with a wind-assisted 7.14m, then came her 6.98m victory in Lausanne, followed by a win in Monaco, jumping a windy 7.04m and a legal PB of 7.00m.

Okagbare is set for a busy week too, as she is also entered in the 100m and 200m. Not only would she be the first African woman to win a medal in any of those three events, but she could potentially become the first woman in the history of the World Championships to make it on to the podium in all three events.

Reese’s US team-mate Janay DeLoach Soukup is another reliable championship performer. She took Olympic bronze and World indoor silver last year and won the US title this summer.

Russia will be fielding four women in this event and all four of them are genuine medal contenders and have PBs in excess of seven metres.

Olympic silver medallist Elena Sokolova got the Diamond Race winner’s wildcard entry. She is joined by two-time European indoor champion Darya Klishina, defending silver medallist Olga Kucherenko and 2006 European champion Lyudmila Kolchanova, who at 33 will be the oldest long jumper in Moscow.

Britain’s Shara Proctor is another athlete who will challenge for a podium place, so too is France’s European champion Eloyse Lesueur.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by bambostic: 6:56pm On Aug 07, 2013
Hi All,

In preparation for the World Championships starting this Saturday(!), Please see below the links to what is undoubtedbly my favourite Making of Champion's Teaser to date, called "Nigeria? Long Distance!" Shot in Jamaica in March, we find out exactly what the Jamaican fans think about Nigeria's pedigree in Track & Field - you've got to see this to believe it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdGPwUz7Guw

Blog post, including the background to how we made this video, and what I think about the current gulf in class between Jamaica and Nigeria in Track & Field and whether it can be bridged! http://makingofchampions.net/2013/08/07/nigeria-long-distance/

I hope you're all looking forward to the World Championships, over the week from Aug 10th-18th! Let's get behind Team Nigeria and hope that Blessing can lead the team into a new era for Nigeria Track & Field, where we can start bridging the "long distance" between ourselves and Jamaica!

Enjoy, and please do leave your comments on the blog or the youtube video, and don't forget to share these on facebook, twitter, etc with your friends! It's time for Nigeria to reclaim it's place on the world stage in Athletics!
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by bambostic: 6:57pm On Aug 07, 2013
Hi All,

In preparation for the World Championships starting this Saturday(!), Please see below the links to what is undoubtedbly my favourite Making of Champion's Teaser to date, called "Nigeria? Long Distance!" Shot in Jamaica in March, we find out exactly what the Jamaican fans think about Nigeria's pedigree in Track & Field - you've got to see this to believe it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdGPwUz7Guw

Blog post, including the background to how we made this video, and what I think about the current gulf in class between Jamaica and Nigeria in Track & Field and whether it can be bridged! http://makingofchampions.net/2013/08/07/nigeria-long-distance/

I hope you're all looking forward to the World Championships, over the week from Aug 10th-18th! Let's get behind Team Nigeria and hope that Blessing can lead the team into a new era for Nigeria Track & Field, where we can start bridging the "long distance" between ourselves and Jamaica!

Enjoy, and please do leave your comments on the blog or the youtube video, and don't forget to share these on facebook, twitter, etc with your friends! It's time for Nigeria to reclaim it's place on the world stage in Athletics!
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by Zelex9(m): 8:35pm On Aug 07, 2013
Blessing Okagbare is obviously our best hope for a medal/s. Ato Boldon has stated he see her as a triple medalist in Moscow, which I see as quite possible but by no means confirmed.

Despite what some you guys have stated, I actually think our 100m champion Egwero has a good chance to make the Semi-finals and who knows from there. He has a solid season's best of 10.16 and has shown consistency during his races this season, also ran an impressive 10.18 into a -1.6 headwind at the national trials, which translates roughly at about 10.08.

After Blessing our best medal chances rely in the relays. Our 4x100 women team is probably one of the weaker ones in the last few years, but will as usual will fight for the bronze. The 4x400 teams will do well. I believe will make the final but a medal may be far fetched idea as of now. But who knows......
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by akintun: 12:59am On Aug 08, 2013
Nigeria would have to devise a way to cater 4 its top athletes, becos all d gains made in d past few years with regards to youthful athletes are disappearing. Not everyone can be as lucky as Okagbare. Regina George would soon leave college, and I wonder how she would fund her training. Odumosu is not improving, and d men 100m is gone.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by bambostic: 8:36am On Aug 08, 2013
Zelex9: Blessing Okagbare is obviously our best hope for a medal/s. Ato Boldon has stated he see her as a triple medalist in Moscow, which I see as quite possible but by no means confirmed.

Despite what some you guys have stated, I actually think our 100m champion Egwero has a good chance to make the Semi-finals and who knows from there. He has a solid season's best of 10.16 and has shown consistency during his races this season, also ran an impressive 10.18 into a -1.6 headwind at the national trials, which translates roughly at about 10.08.

After Blessing our best medal chances rely in the relays. Our 4x100 women team is probably one of the weaker ones in the last few years, but will as usual will fight for the bronze. The 4x400 teams will do well. I believe will make the final but a medal may be far fetched idea as of now. But who knows......

Yeah I think Blessing will win 3 medals - I think it might be 2 silvers and a GOLD medal, but we just have to wait and see. Not too long now!

As for Egwero, maybe he could make the semis with a new PB, but as you say, a final place might be out of the question, unless he can lower his PB to sub-10! Agreed that the relays are our best chances for medals after Blessing! Let's see how they do!
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by Nobody: 9:49am On Aug 08, 2013
If Blessing Okagbare wins medals in all her 4 events, she would be the first ever female athlete to do so at the World Championships. Amazing!
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 08, 2013
Fun fact: Gloria Asumnu and Alphonsus Uko are the oldest and youngest members respectively, of Team Nigeria.
Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by Evestar200(f): 10:21am On Aug 08, 2013
#TEAM OKAGBARE WITH 4 -3 MEDALS 4 LIFE# cheesy

1 Like

Re: Countdown To World Athletics Championship (for Nigerian Fans) by HezronLorraine(m): 12:19pm On Aug 08, 2013
#teamBlessing.
Any other person,u got my support.
#love-okagbare.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (36) (Reply)

Racial Abuse: Tammy Abraham Says English Players Will Walk Off If Targeted / Equitorial Guinea To Host AFCON 2015 / Any Wwe Fan In Nairialand?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.